Info: Solution for lags for Nvidia users

dandy

Old Alpha
Society
Supremacy Reign
Lucifer dandy Leon
Hello;

Several VU ago I had a problem playing caused by lags.

The lags were so terrible that I couldn't play at all.

I tried many versions of Nvidia driver; from the oldest to the latest; but it didn't solve my problem.

Did some research and found out that Nvidia has an over clock software called nTune that was part of NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support.

At first I did over clock the video card, but it caused more lag and my pc would get some blue screens of dead.(Don't over clock;)

Then it gave me an idea; why not down grade my Nvidia GPU.

And that was my solution from down grade using nTune.

I believe that a new feature that introduced from an vu caused Nvidia to over work and then heat.

Let the instruction begins.

1: Download and install nTune software here directly from Nvidia(Install only nTune(Performance) section.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/system_tools/6.05/6.05_nvidia_system_tools.exe

2: Start Nvidia control Panel(Start/NVIDIA Corporation/NVIDIA Control Panel/Control Panel)

3: Click on Accepet End User then Agree

4: Click on Device settings.

5: Click on Custom section.

This is the tricky part; how much down grade is need.

Each PC/Nvidia will be differ so you have to play around the setting.

For me I dropped 50% of GPU and 70MHZ Shader off to work nicely.

6: Click Test.

If it fails you have to Increase/Decrease GPU or Shader but do not over clock.

Once the Test is passed; go to step 7

7: Click on Stored Profile and key the settings from the test here then click on Save.

8: Copy userdflt.nsu and sysdflt.nsu to your Desktop(can be shortcuts) from Documents and Settins\CURRENTUSER\Local Settings\Application Data\NVIDA Corporation\nTune\Profiles
Use search if you can't find them.

Tip: Copy those to files to the user desktop if that user has no Admin Right.(for me I run entropia under a normal user)

userdflt.nsu is your down grade version.
sysdflt.nsu is your video card default settings.

double click on userdflt.nsu to activate it.

Warning: Over clock may cause system damage and not reversible. In my tests I had no problems when decrease GPU/Shader settings; but increase them caused crashes.

Edit: I found that removed the card, cleaned the old thermal compound, and putted new thermal compound and re-seat the heat sink worked great to move heat.

cheer;

dandy

Last edited:
you downclocked your card 50% o_O In that case i belive you should return ur card if that was the only thing that helped.

you downclocked your card 50% o_O In that case i belive you should return ur card if that was the only thing that helped.

I think the problem is not the card; but the game, I think a feature or features in the game causes the high usage of your video card.

By down grading it; I presume(not known the fact, but it works) if the game uses 50% more of your video card power; it still not over cooked your card.

And I like every one who has tested and followed this instruction to give some feed back here please.

cheer;

dandy

:)
Thanks
Will Try Subscribing​

I think the problem is not the card; but the game, I think a feature or features in the game causes the high usage of your video card.

By down grading it; I presume(not known the fact, but it works) if the game uses 50% more of your video card power; it still not over cooked your card.

And I like every one who has tested and followed this instruction to give some feed back here please.

cheer;

dandy
So you mean by making your card work less good it becomes better? Would you make a car go slower to make it go faster? And downgrading your card 50% is like a LOT so it's your card. Or it's your psu that cant give your card enough power.

What gfx card are you using? and how many watts are your psu?

As it appears that you are downgrading your graphics card the obvious question is: Is what is the difference in the graphics? Have you noticed any difference? You could probably produce the same effect by reducing the graphics quality ingame. What setting do you have? and does it get changed if you do teh fix you mentioned?

Hi Legion

I think you missed understanding;

But to compare with the car u mentioned; yes it works better if you run slower and your car will less over heat and more economical; if that's more understanding.

50% was for example; each PC/Video card will be differ; that 50% was for me and for me alone; and I mentioned that on the instruction.

I like to repeat one more; is that the game may over use the power of video card; by decrease it you are not decreasing any performance.

Heat will decrease your performance.

And decrease is temporary when you double click on userdflt.nsu.

Logout of windows/reboot will reset it to default or by double click on sysdflt.nsu

cheer;

dandy

As it appears that you are downgrading your graphics card the obvious question is: Is what is the difference in the graphics? Have you noticed any difference? You could probably produce the same effect by reducing the graphics quality ingame. What setting do you have? and does it get changed if you do teh fix you mentioned?

Hi

When I did not downgrade; the lags were as bad as with the lowest settings in game.

cheer;

dandy

Hi Legion

I think you missed understanding;

But to compare with the car u mentioned; yes it works better if you run slower and your car will less over heat and more economical; if that's more understanding.

50% was for example; each PC/Video card will be differ; that 50% was for me and for me alone; and I mentioned that on the instruction.

I like to repeat one more; is that the game may over use the power of video card; by decrease it you are not decreasing any performance.

Heat will decrease your performance.

And decrease is temporary when you double click on userdflt.nsu.

Logout of windows/reboot will reset it to default or by double click on sysdflt.nsu

cheer;

dandy
well it still doesnt make sense. Downgrading your card would make it run slower. And most likely it has nothing to do with the engine. it's either a faulty card or the card is not good enough to run eu or something.

and again what card is it?

Hi

I like people who has lag problems with Nvidia to reply so to see if this will fix his/her lags.

As I suspect that since some VU ago there was a feature/features introduced and that when my problem started that caused lags.

I will give a clear example of what I suspect; I can't prove/disprove but downgrade works every time.

Example:

I think Entropia since what vu I don't know tries to use 150% of what my video card can do and cause constant over heat.

When the card is over heat; the card safety build in will cut your video card performance alot quickly to cool it down and so I got lags after.

After the card has cooled down; you get back to normal for a while; then the cycle begins.

cheer;

dandy

well it still doesnt make sense. Downgrading your card would make it run slower. And most likely it has nothing to do with the engine. it's either a faulty card or the card is not good enough to run eu or something.

and again what card is it?
I'd agree with that and what else (possibly a nasty) is running in the background ?

Hi

I like people who has lag problems with Nvidia to reply so to see if this will fix his/her lags.

As I suspect that since some VU ago there was a feature/features introduced and that when my problem started that caused lags.

I will give a clear example of what I suspect; I can't prove/disprove but downgrade works every time.

Example:

I think Entropia since what vu I don't know tries to use 150% of what my video card can do and cause constant over heat.

When the card is over heat; the card safety build in will cut your video card performance alot quickly to cool it down and so I got lags after.

After the card has cooled down; you get back to normal for a while; then the cycle begins.

cheer;

dandy

Look up the 'bump phenomena' which = degradation of GPU chips by suddens spikes in temp, it stuffs the GPU and eventually they shit it, hence In OZ I run water cooled averting this inisidious phenomena.

Too lazy to post the link :D

Hi

Example:

cheer;

dandy

have you checked that your fan is working? gownload gpu-z and check ur vid temp. and open the case and look if the fan is running.

have you checked that your fan is working? gownload gpu-z and check ur vid temp. and open the case and look if the fan is running.

My card has no fan build in; but with 3 system fans running.

I can test again and again any time I will get lags without downgrading right now.

I think my card isn't the latest but I don't need to get a new if this fixes for me.

If any one else out there that may have the same problem; please try this fix and reply here.

cheer;

dandy

So you mean by making your card work less good it becomes better? Would you make a car go slower to make it go faster? And downgrading your card 50% is like a LOT so it's your card. Or it's your psu that cant give your card enough power.

What gfx card are you using? and how many watts are your psu?

If you put a car on ice and tries to start it @ fifth gear.. It will spin, but if you slowly put some gas on first gear it will slowly run off. Good compare?

If you put a car on ice and tries to start it @ fifth gear.. It will spin, but if you slowly put some gas on first gear it will slowly run off. Good compare?

Poor analogy, what if there is no ice, it will stall!

What if its got low coolant it overheats and stalls ... a fan not working or a pump not working?

What if its software in the computer in the car(machine) that has corrupted ...drivers/sotware and triggers for cooling are a fail?

Not that simple in solution!

I can test again and again any time I will get lags without downgrading right now.

I think my card isn't the latest but I don't need to get a new if this fixes for me.

If any one else out there that may have the same problem; please try this fix and reply here.

cheer;

dandy

well doh, there is your problem. Your card has no built in fan, and how many fans in your computer in totall? I can assure you that your card is getting overheated and that is the problem. And by downclocking it you make it works slower and thus it doesnt overheat which produces a better result. If i were you i would get a fan to cool the card or get a new card.

cheer;

dandy
Assuming you don't have a monster aftermarket heatsink on your card, I'd get a fan immediately. It will take heat away from the GPU heatsink much more effficiently than system fans.

Seen many Video Cards at work where the fan starts to fail, especially the ones with the flimsy 40mm unit. Touching the heatsink burns your finger.

I have a new card, it runs fine except for one wierd problem

Out hunting, turn in a certain direction, and get massive lag, like 3FPS. Turn away, all good, turn back, mega lag.

No huge amount of mobs in the direction, no GDs. Go figure :)

Assuming you don't have a monster aftermarket heatsink on your card, I'd get a fan immediately. It will take heat away from the GPU heatsink much more effficiently than system fans.

Seen many Video Cards at work where the fan starts to fail, especially the ones with the flimsy 40mm unit. Touching the heatsink burns your finger.

I have a new card, it runs fine except for one wierd problem

Out hunting, turn in a certain direction, and get massive lag, like 3FPS. Turn away, all good, turn back, mega lag.

No huge amount of mobs in the direction, no GDs. Go figure :)

My card is GeForce 8500 GT and has no fan when I bought it; but it has huge heat sink .

I think it is like that; no fan require and no place to put a fan either.

dandy

AFAIK alot of NVIDIAcard(mostly sli) users had problem with crytropia.. And on that topic entropia is the ice in my previous post. It tries to take the max out the card without letting it rest.. Which will make it malfunction.

i think its clear the OP has an underpowered card and has found a novel approach to resolve their issue. it seems counter intuitive but that largly because we dont know what the "lags" are, people use lag as a generic term for lots of glitches. many glitches with graphics are due to overheating and turning down the speed lowers the temperature so improves the quality - albeit slower. this is actually just a like a car, faster higher performance cars are less reliable than everyday family saloons.

but really, dandy, the best advice is get a better card to really fix your problems.

test case scenario!

i got same card - fanless geforce 8500 with a nice huge heatsink; i found and took apart a broken power supply unit, took off the 12 cm fan and attached it using thin insulated wires from network cable around the said heatsink - my video 8500 runs much cooler now; if you like to DIY, the factory heatsink does not touch the memory chips - this is another problem with these cards; and i connected the fan to a pair of 12 volt leads from power supply, watch the polarity +°-

as of this day, i will try out your idea, Dandy, because i get some minute lags here and there and i cannot figure it out; will post with my results and observation;

i love tech-talk topics alot :L:yay:

i got same card - fanless geforce 8500 with a nice huge heatsink; i found and took apart a broken power supply unit, took off the 12 cm fan and attached it using thin insulated wires from network cable around the said heatsink - my video 8500 runs much cooler now; if you like to DIY, the factory heatsink does not touch the memory chips - this is another problem with these cards; and i connected the fan to a pair of 12 volt leads from power supply, watch the polarity +°-

as of this day, i will try out your idea, Dandy, because i get some minute lags here and there and i cannot figure it out; will post with my results and observation;

i love tech-talk topics alot :L:yay:

Cool you have the same card as mine.

I found that old driver 163.75 worked best for me atm.

Here my setting file for Performance;

[GPUSettings]
GPUCOUNT=1
GPUNAME0=GeForce 8500 GT
GPUNAMEINDEX0=0
GPUCOREMHZ0=300
GPUMEMMHZ0=400
GPUCOREMHZMIN0=150
GPUMEMMHZMIN0=100
GPUCOREMHZMAX0=1200
GPUMEMMHZMAX0=1320
GPUSHADERMHZ0=1500
GPUSHADERMHZMIN0=392
GPUSHADERMHZMAX0=3140
GPUFANSUPPORT0=1
GPUFANMODE0=0
GPUFAN3D0=0
GPUFAN3DMIN0=0
GPUFAN3DMAX0=100

I temporary set all the users to Admin then set them to load the configuration file when system start(must be in admin to do this some how).

Then change those users back to normal if you like me; run as a normal user.

cheer;

dandy

I don't believe Dandy once mentioned that by lowering his card by 50% he was able to push graphics settings up in game, thus the anology of driving slower to go faster is void. He drove slower to get a smoother ride.

The car example would be better suited to using the choke.

Where the default EU sets your choke to 100% which floods the vehicle causing jerking, Dandy put his choke in at 50% and pulled away smoothly.

Dandy is referring to the fact that EU starts out demanding the maximum from your card instead of throttling resource requirement based on graphic settings chosen. When it pushes your card to the max, whether it requires it or not, it will impact performance. By limiting the amount of the card EU can use he keeps it cooler and as a result gets a better performance average.

Standard performance knowledge, the cooler your component the better it performs on average. Logical really

Back