The end of internet anonymity in MMO's

I just tried googling my own name for the first time in years, and as me and both my sisters have very unique names I was kinda horrified to find out just how many links there are about us.

As I have no enemies here, I'll say it straight, my real name is ****. I Googled that right now, and the 4th link is my (half) sister, ****. (A name very different from my own.)
Every single link on that first page has nothing to do with me, yet it linked me with my sister straight away. It's bloody scary how quickly Google and the like can do this kinda thing.

*Edit* - The 6th link, for reasons I cannot explain, hooked me up with Carmen Electra's face-book profile....maybe she has a secret crush on me? :p

*Edit 2 years later* - Had to delete my name in this post cause of Google.

Last edited:
I bet google have just seen a jump in searchs for your name :laugh:

I just found my address on 192.com and as my surname isn't common so if you could see how few of us have the same first name it wouldn't take long to track me down :eek:

I'd seriously consider removing your name because I just found you and your even easier to track down.

If anyone is interested theres a form to remove your details from the site. http://statics.192.com/downloads/C01.pdf

kimmi still has that info posted as his sig give him a call im sure he wouldnt mind a chat.

Touché , lol .

You seem to have missed that I said basic personal info on the Internet.

....................................................................................
And when you give personal details over the phone or via snail mail, what do you think the receiving company generally does with this info? ;)

Too often people only seem concerned about the obvious, and that's what I'm getting at when I say that I find it funny how some people don't give a second thought to the phone or snail mail.

...................................................................................

most likely that info revealed in the ways you said is going to serve to commercial purposes ( and here is your own responsability since no one forced you), not to some angry gamers that are willing to knock you out IRL because you upset them ingame or the forum of the game or to some horny assholes .
also future employers might not enjoy someone's playful side .
it's not about being paranoid , but about avoiding some unwanted situations that happened to others .
of course using the internet can't have total anonymity but some risks concerning security like can be lowered.

considering Blizzard decison to back off, i must say it's a bitter victory for gamers, because not the voice of reason prevailed but the love for cash .

Just curious; do y'all who don't like the idea of people seeing your face or knowing your name on the internet, hide your face and lie about your name IRL?

I've been on the internet actively since 1994 and am yet to see a negative side to allowing people to know who I am. A quick google of my alias' would reveal a tonne of info anyways, far more than just my name.
I think many people would be surprised to know that similar info is very likely available out there about y'all too.

Roamn - current stage/music/performance/gaming/everything alias.
N0_sex* - old skool pre-music, gaming alias.

On a side-note; I've actually had very positive experiences with people knowing my face/name... bumping into random people who're like "hey you're roamn, right?" meeting musicians who've heard/seen me online, and ofcourse that gorgeous Japanese girl back in 2001-2002 at a Ministry of Sound gig my CS clan went to, who was like "N0_sex*?! Whyyyyyyyy?"... I don't need to go into what happened after that question ROFL.
:naughty:

Last edited:
Just curious; do y'all who don't like the idea of people seeing your face or knowing your name on the internet, hide your face and lie about your name IRL?

I've been on the internet actively since 1994 and am yet to see a negative side to allowing people to know who I am. A quick google of my alias' would reveal a tonne of info anyways, far more than just my name.
I think many people would be surprised to know that similar info is very likely available out there about y'all too.

Roamn - current stage/music/performance/gaming/everything alias.
N0_sex* - old skool pre-music, gaming alias.

On a side-note; I've actually had very positive experiences with people knowing my face/name... bumping into random people who're like "hey you're roamn, right?" meeting musicians who've heard/seen me online, and ofcourse that gorgeous Japanese girl back in 2001-2002 at a Ministry of Sound gig my CS clan went to, who was like "N0_sex*?! Whyyyyyyyy?"... I don't need to go into what happened after that question ROFL.
:naughty:

Anyone who has been stalked or had their identity stolen may not be so keen to just let any old MMO nutcase know about them.

[YOUTUBE]ApyrGUKJlgE[/YOUTUBE]

As to who I am, The Shadow knows. :vampire:

Anyone who has been stalked or had their identity stolen may not be so keen to just let any old MMO nutcase know about them.

[YOUTUBE]ApyrGUKJlgE[/YOUTUBE]

As to who I am, The Shadow knows. :vampire:

Yes I understand this, but that's a minority. And those people should exercise the same caution they would in real life.
However, I was asking the general population, as in the majority of people who do not have to worry about such things as stalking etc...

Please note that both my mother and my ex-gf were victims of stalkers, so I do sympathise. However the fact remains, that's only 2 people out of thousands and thousands of acquaintances and yea I realise some may prefer not to divulge such things but this is all symantics.
I was asking y'all, you, mega. Not asking you to answer on behalf of someone else.
What is it that YOU (the person reading this) personally are afraid of?

Unless you've been stalked or similar, then I am suggesting that your fears are irrational (regarding name/face being public).

Yes I understand this, but that's a minority. And those people should exercise the same caution they would in real life.
However, I was asking the general population, as in the majority of people who do not have to worry about such things as stalking etc...

Please note that both my mother and my ex-gf were victims of stalkers, so I do sympathise. However the fact remains, that's only 2 people out of thousands and thousands of acquaintances and yea I realise some may prefer not to divulge such things but this is all symantics.
I was asking y'all, you, mega. Not asking you to answer on behalf of someone else.
What is it that YOU (the person reading this) personally are afraid of?

Unless you've been stalked or similar, then I am suggesting that your fears are irrational (regarding name/face being public).

who gives a shit about stalking its the Identity theft you should all be worried about

who gives a shit about stalking its the Identity theft you should all be worried about

And how is it that telling someone your name online, presents any increased danger to identity theft, over telling someone your name IRL?
Remember, this was simply going to be a situation where only your real name would be attached to your posts in a forum.

No sensitive information, only your real name.

People are acting as if Blizzard wanted their private information to be public... smh.
Your name isn't PII unless you include your middle name. Was Blizzard requiring middle name disclosure?
Even if they were, is it really that important? Your name is freely available anyway through many sources (such as council, phonebooks etc) unless you specifically take steps for it to be kept confidential.

Last edited:
And how is it that telling someone your name online, presents any increased danger to identity theft, over telling someone your name IRL?
Remember, this was simply going to be a situation where only your real name would be attached to your posts in a forum.

No sensitive information, only your real name.

my real name is sensitive.

my real name is sensitive.
What harm comes from someone knowing your name?
Or is this an irrational thought - that your name is sensitive?

Here's my real name; Samuel Joseph Scorrar
Here's my regular places of residence; Auckland City CBD & Taupo (NZL)

Steal my identity. Please.
Anyone, steal my identity with this sensitive information, I implore you!

smfh.

note: this post can be used as defence in any legalities that may arise from your attempt to steal my identity and in the case that you would prefer a personal letter of authority stating that I have asked you to steal my identity, I can supply one.

Last edited:

are you sure thats your real name

For that minority anonymity is important, and the Blizzard plan would have denied them the choice to remain anonymous.

That's what's important here - the right to choose whether you want to post or display personal information, rather than having it imposed on you.

For that minority anonymity is important, and the Blizzard plan would have denied them the choice to remain anonymous.

That's what's important here - the right to choose whether you want to post or display personal information, rather than having it imposed on you.

Aaah I can fully understand that!
Thanks Oleg, I didn't actually think about that and it's a good point. I'd like to think that this is one of the (many) issues that Blizzard identified with their idea hehe
;)

Here's my regular places of residence; Auckland City CBD & Taupo (NZL)

Anyone, steal my identity with this sensitive information, I implore you!

smfh.

note: this post can be used as defence in any legalities that may arise from your attempt to steal my identity and in the case that you would prefer a personal letter of authority stating that I have asked you to steal my identity, I can supply one.

sam i aplied for a cc but seems you have bad credit.

sam i aplied for a cc but seems you have bad credit.

lol, I see serious and you don't know each other too intimately.
Pity that RealID thing couldn't solve the problem of weeding out people who are actually contributing to a conversation constructively!

lol, I see serious and you don't know each other too intimately.
Pity that RealID thing couldn't solve the problem of weeding out people who are actually contributing to a conversation constructively!

i dont have to know you i applied and was denied i bet i could get your birth certificate if i had time and wanted to troll you more.

Real names on the internet is asking for all kinds of advertizing and spam headed your way. They will find the places you talk on forums (simple google search) and whatever the theme of the place is you will get hammered with ads for similar. Employers will use google to search your name and find personal stuff that could change your chances for employment.

Your real life friends and eniemies can search your name and use whatever info they find against you. If you ever go to court for whatever the laywers can dig up everywhere you go on the net and would be happy to bury you with whatever they find. :D

Think about it, how would you like everything you say in the real world recorded and up for playback by anyone at anytime. Instead of it making people question what they say it would simply make people stop saying anything. I can already see a black market for stolen names to hack the OpenID system so you have a fake identity to use.. :eyecrazy:

i dont have to know you i applied and was denied i bet i could get your birth certificate if i had time and wanted to troll you more.

You were denied because you can't apply with simply a name. Have you ever even had "credit" before?
RE: Birth Cert - Do it and prove it then, this whole "Legion" thing (it works, PROMISE!) is tiresome.

I'd seriously like to be proven wrong.

Here is an example of a type of proof you could use to convince me, a screenshot! It's something Legionnaires aren't accustomed too, I know, but bare with me.

This screenshot, is just one portion of a "typical" credit application (which then needs to be verified ofcourse), be it credit cards, mortgages, personal loans, etc etc... and I can assure you that in light of events in the last 10 years (people cheating tax, social services, benefits etc...) you won't be getting a copy of my legit birth certificate with simply my name and current district of residence, from this government, any time soon.
:laugh:

Last edited:
You were denied because you can't apply with simply a name. Have you ever even had credit before?
RE: Birth Cert - Do it and prove it then, this whole "Legion" thing (it works, PROMISE!) is tiresome.

I'd seriously like to be proven wrong.

lol from your name i got a address, d.o.b restricted drivers licence # i bet you use to give your lunch money to the fat kid who asked to hold it and keep it safe.

lol from your name i got a address, d.o.b restricted drivers licence # i bet you use to give your lunch money to the fat kid who asked to hold it and keep it safe.

This is my original point, these things you're pulling up are publicly available anyway whether someone knows your name IRL or online.
Post a screen/scan when you get your new credit card I'm responsible for, or my birth certificate, or something that actually matters, THEN I'll be all "whoa wtf, how the..." which is ultimately what you're trolling for.

fun game you're having there Profit. i've seen the game turn quite nsaty on another forum, but thats up to you. its not a point worth proving really, you're happy with your indentity to be broadcast, others arent, leave it at that.

Last edited:
This is my original point, these things you're pulling up are publicly available anyway whether someone knows your name IRL or online.
Post a screen/scan when you get your new credit card I'm responsible for, or my birth certificate, or something that actually matters, THEN I'll be all "whoa wtf, how the..." which is ultimately what you're trolling for.

lol you really are naive then.

lol you really are naive then.

And you're full of qwerky one liners. Still waiting on that proof Mister 1337 h4x0r. Likely just a script kiddy tryna get some juice. Bet you have a brute forcer too ROFL.

Anyways, I'm spent like the british GDP.

Paranoia.
No trouble can come from someone knowing your name, unless you're in the business of causing trouble, or you're hiding from someone.

I wonder if Tess feels the same way about this as you do?

Well that's WoW. Something like that wouldn't happen in EU. Plus that was just the WoW forums. I talked to my brother (WoW gamer) about it and he said that if that happens the community would just make a third party forum. But like I said, I don't think anything like that would happen here.

And you're full of qwerky one liners. Still waiting on that proof Mister 1337 h4x0r. Likely just a script kiddy tryna get some juice. Bet you have a brute forcer too ROFL.

Anyways, I'm spent like the british GDP.

lol i didnt hack anything i just used the information you provided since you seem to think your the only one who can do anything with it and it simply isnt true.

Back