When I lag, mobs do NOT lag

RobBuona

Elite
Society
Stockholm Syndrome
Patrizia Pandemic Giano
Am I the only one who can make a lick of sense out of this? While my 60 attack/min is reduced to a crippling 30 attacks/min, mobs attack at the same rate they always would, resulting in a lot of unnecessary decay. I don't even see how this is possible, unless things were programmed to work this way. What do you guys think?

Your lag is occurring on your computer, meaning your commands are not registering over on their system for some reason. The mobs are all processed/handled on theirs. Thus no lag on their end.

But even that last part's not true. You know those times when the mob's running toward you and you notice them running right past you for a while. Then suddenly POOF! They're back in front of you ?

That's lag on their end, but not yours.

Your lag is occurring on your computer. The mobs are all processed/handled on theirs. Thus no lag on their end.

But even that last part's not true. You know those times when the mob's running toward you and you notice them running right past you for a while. Then suddenly POOF! They're back in front of you ?

No, I understand that. At the moment I'm playing while uploading some backups to my cloud drive, so yes, I have horrible latency. But shouldn't that mean the game server is waiting for a response from me to see whether I was hit? Apparently that's not how it works, but it should be if my weapon is slowed to half speed.

I was having the same issue on CP. My gun wouldn't fire, yet taking hits from Aurli. I think there needs to be a way of a ping check between MA servers and your PC so that any lag at your PC end can be detected and the MA end pauses while your end improves. Very frustrating.

I have this problem all the time. I set my gun to auto-fire and the reload timer just stops for a few seconds sometimes. All the while the Argos keep swiping.

In addition to /pos, we could use a few more slash commands:

/ping
/fps
/calc 1+1

Maybe more?

I was having the same issue on CP. My gun wouldn't fire, yet taking hits from Aurli. I think there needs to be a way of a ping check between MA servers and your PC so that any lag at your PC end can be detected and the MA end pauses while your end improves. Very frustrating.

If MA did that the game would be dead i 6 month .The number of ways that could be abused is immense .

Also there is that situation during big shared events when you die but instead of going to revive you find yourself alive again on the field, can finish the mob, get loot, then start on the next mob, people may heal you, you may "die" again with the same result. Once during the robot invasion of 2012 I managed to participate in 4+ shared big bulks at Chimera while dead and in the end revived with full health.

I guess there are just several types of lag - on your/their network, on your/their hardware, etc, with different outcomes.

ye ive had this for few days now.. first times ever.. before its been that when lag occurs both me and mob stop attacking but now its only me who stops.. and the mob keeps acting normally... i think this is some new feature to the game... and i still have the old lag too

Am I the only one who can make a lick of sense out of this? While my 60 attack/min is reduced to a crippling 30 attacks/min, mobs attack at the same rate they always would, resulting in a lot of unnecessary decay. I don't even see how this is possible, unless things were programmed to work this way. What do you guys think?

I had the same question, some tech guru at MS explained it to me. What you see is the result of what they call extrapolation and interpolation. People often wrongly assume that lag is caused on the client side. But more often this is not the case. The long routing of the connections between the client side and server side can cause many problems, as is often the case.

In your sample above, your client side is trying to send packages to the server side, however for some reason they are delayed or lost. Now your client side is trying to estimate a future game state. It might still receive packages from the server side causing the mob to hit and damage you. In a way the game is now out of sync.

Here is a link you might want to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag_(online_gaming)

I actually sent in a support case yesterday regarding this. It doesn't make sense why mobs don't lag but we do. When i have my gun set on "autoshoot" the server should assume I'm auto shooting unless i send in a new command for it to stop shooting ( not vice versa to assume i stopped shooting the minute i get lag)

I actually sent in a support case yesterday regarding this. It doesn't make sense why mobs don't lag but we do. When i have my gun set on "autoshoot" the server should assume I'm auto shooting unless i send in a new command for it to stop shooting ( not vice versa to assume i stopped shooting the minute i get lag)

Autoshoot is a client side command, setting a flag that needs to be unchecked on the server would mean more packets to be sent over the wire, and the possibility for unwanted results during lag.

Your lag is occurring on your computer, meaning your commands are not registering over on their system for some reason. The mobs are all processed/handled on theirs. Thus no lag on their end.
Yeah, that's true.

Not so true. ;)

True that there's 2 types of lag:
1) Your computer might lag. Everything seems to stand nearly still and frame rate drops.
2) Network lag. Communication with the server is too slow or temporarily disrupted.

When mobs run past you, and suddenly jump back to face you, it's due to network lag.
The client is coded to "mask" minor network drop outs, and simply predicts where the mob would be if it continued in same direction and same speed. Because of network lag, the server can't tell your client that the mob stopped in front of you and attacked you.
When the network works again, the mob position is updated, and the client is informed about hits and other things that happened mean while on the server side.

If the client was coded smarter, if would already know that a mob aggroing on you, would stop and attack when it reached you. But it's not. It's only smart enough to let the mob continue at it's path.

Theoretically there is a 3) Server lag too.
I suppose that could happen a LGs and other similar situation.
But my personal theory is, the game is just not stable enough to let us notice, since it usually crashes long before severe server lag can build up. :laugh:

I get this too when my latency is bad, awful on high regen mobs... I just dont hunt when lag is terrible anymore.

Back