will a mid range AGP ATI graphics card work?

Heart

Young
Sean Heart de Star
I've been looking to get Entropia up and running on an old computer that doesn't have PCI-E, only AGP. I've been looking round, and found a couple of cards that could potentially do the trick (assuming processor and memory are up to spec).

e.g.

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB AGP Graphics Card

Asus Radeon HD 4650 Agp HDMI 1GB Graphics Card this is ATI it says

or even something like this
Asus Radeon HD 3450 AGP W/LP 512MB Graphics Card

Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm like, really confused over the specs of the cards - seems they changed their numbers or something that doesn't help. Does it have to be ATI? I'm not the tech guy :-( And I definitely want to avoid getting a new motherboard etc

Any help would be really appreciated

H.

Yes, the 4650 is probably one of, if not the fastest cards that can fit inside a regular PCI slot. It's also fairly low in price, so that's my choice. But then again, it may be biased, since I got this card and really liked it. (Could play other *cough* CryEngine *cough* running games)

Hi Heart,

When VU.10 came out I played it on my old system using an
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB AGP.
Whas able to play with most settings on high.
Didn't have much problems.

My old PC specs, hope it helps ;)
Windows XP pro
Processor: Intel P4 3.2ghz
Mainboard: Asus P4P800-X
Graphics card: Sapphire Ati Radeon HD3850
Ram 4x 512 Corsair VS512MB400 DDR
Hard Disk 1x Hitatchi SATA-1 160gb/1x Hitatchi SATA-1 250gb

This site might also be helpful. ;)

http://www.anandtech.com/video/

I got a 2600 agp in one computer i access entropia from. You can play on it, i think i have it set to medium i cant remember, but its no where near as enjoyable as a newer graphics card.

I'm using a 4870 series, runs at high just fine, cost about $130 usd when I got mine. However, industry reports say that a new wave of cards will be introduced soon from nvidia and ati, so current cards should drop in price when that happens.
Do keep in mind that a slow mobo bus will slow down a fast graphics card, though.

If I remember correctly, the AGP cards are not really cheap.
Also it might be just a matter of time until the motherboards goes to silicon heaven. Rather invest in a new setup, with roughly 200 $ you can make a system that will run almsot anything decently.

Yes you can run it, and probably run it just fine.

The fact that this is an MMO is probably that machines saving grace in terms of performance. Even though we're looking at Cry2 engine, there are certain types of graphic optimizations that needed to be made in order to keep polygon count low and packet size reasonable.

An AGP card has an adequate BUS speed to play this particular game, consequently.

Im not sure about agp stuff but im using 8800gt atm what is not much better.
This card works fine with medium quality in any position. i can playe with better quality too but no in cp.
I think resolution would make some changes too but im using 1680x1050.
Rest of my computer spec is dual core 3ghz, 4086 ddr 800mhz.
Soon im going to buy new comp and install linux in that my old one.

Thanks

Thanks everyone, been a great help getting your different input.

I'm using a 4870 series, runs at high just fine, cost about $130 usd when I got mine. However, industry reports say that a new wave of cards will be introduced soon from nvidia and ati, so current cards should drop in price when that happens.
Do keep in mind that a slow mobo bus will slow down a fast graphics card, though.

I dont think a 4870 is agp is it?

4650 is the best bet but check to see if your power supply can handle it because the card needs a six-pin PCIe power connector and Ati say minimum 400w psu but i think that is pushing it tbh.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/gigabyte_gv-r465d2-1gi_radeon_4650_review/

I'm running an X850 AGP card, it's a little slow but very playable.
The 3850 AGP is the card I'm planning on getting if and when finances permit.
So that's the one I personally would recommend :)

thanks more useful info!

Thanks all, I got a handle on the different things that I need to consider.

Yes, the 4650 is probably one of, if not the fastest cards that can fit inside a regular PCI slot. It's also fairly low in price, so that's my choice. But then again, it may be biased, since I got this card and really liked it. (Could play other *cough* CryEngine *cough* running games)

Before going out for a standard PCI card (not PCI-E), the OP should consider this information:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/buses/types/agpBus-c.html

While there are a few legacy PCI cards available, AGP will give vastly better throughput to the card. Note that the information there is somewhat dated, as the last hurrah for AGP was 8x.

I'm not sticking with my AGP system anymore; I recently burned out my best card (7600) and am reduced to a piddling 5700. What I am getting, though, is a shiny new mobo with PCI-E x16 2.0 and a used Radeon HD 2900 XT, which looks to be a fairly decent card. With my existing AMD x2 4200 cpu and 2GB ddr2 800 RAM, I can jump right in and still have considerable room to expand when I need to.

'cuz that's what's in the box he owns, it would seem. :)

Yep :) Cause my system's been beautiful and stable and works great (ASUS mobo) and I just don't need anything more fancy.

Back