World Cup 2010 thread

the portugal brazil was today, well. 0-0 but who cares. Portugal is in !:D

Italy also thought that its a sure win against our team :) But I was sure that we would show a great game against them... not so sure we can do the same against your team... I just hope we wont lose like 4-0 ... I can live with 2-0. Its our first WC, and getting there was a huge success, getting through the Group stage is just spectacular for us :)

I hope it will be a good game :)
Even if we lose, we are already winners :)

Like I said we would not underestimate your team, and I am pretty sure our coach does not do that. We will have the best team possible on the field with Robben playing a bit in the second half I think.

But looking at all the other matches in this WC every country sucks so far and I didn't see any (well maybe Denmark - Cameroon) good match so far, so anything can happen.

Ghana 2 - 1 USA

Unlucky USA, good campaign though!

I'm happy to see Ghana go through, carrying the torch for Africa!

Last edited:
Ghana 2 - 0 USA

Unlucky USA, good campaign though!

I'm happy to see Ghana go through, carrying the torch for Africa!

Wasn't it 2-1?

Yes, in particular as this year it is being held in Africa for the first time, I think it's a very good thing that an African team has managed to beat the odds and stay in.

Same deal for Asia, as with South Korea out only Japan remain to "carry the flag" for the continent. And as an un-biased Scottish man, personally I have to say I love that team.
Look at the last game they played - they have real passion - see how upset the goalie was when he couldn't block the penalty the 2nd time? Thumping the ground with his fist over and over? Even though they were easily winning, he was so angry with himself for not being able to prevent it going in twice in one penalty.
Teamwork - At the end there - Honda could have probably managed to score himself, but chose not too, and instead passed it back to the guy behind him (Which also shows just how aware of his surroundings he was, given there was no obvious camera angle that I could see that hinted he noticed where his team-mate was.) It was very un-selfish, and it worked perfectly.
And of course the free-kicks. They might as well have been penalties. Both from Honda and Eto were outstanding.

I know Japan have no chance of winning this tournament, but I've just fallen in love with them. :)
Just to clarify btw, I almost never watch football, but I always follow the world cup closely.
So we got a big game next. Lots of English up here in Scotland watching that one, and I'm cheering on Germany, despite my English father, purely because I have randomly picked Germany in a TDO sweepstake. :)

Gratz Ghana and unlucky USA. Agree with it being good for the tournament that an African side made it to the QFs. I was cheering on the Americans though, due to the Everton contingent...

I know Japan have no chance of winning this tournament, but I've just fallen in love with them.

Well, they have a small chance hehe. You can get them at over 100-1 at the moment, good value I'd say.

I was sad to see the USA finally go down :(

They had many calls go against them, and they also fought their way out of trouble admirably! I respect this team more than ever.

If your team is still in it, GOOD LUCK !!

I must admit that i didn't expect Ghana to win against the US, but they did it fair and square.

As for Uruguay, well, i was cheering for them, lol. Too bad for South Korea, i kinda liked that team too.

In a few hours, 2 very interesting games: England - Germany and Argentina-Mexico.

My EFD are on Germany and Argentina. BUt surprises are always welcome :). Honestly, i'd prefere seeing ENgland and MExico go through, lol.:yay:

I think the last futball game from World Cup 2010 will be between Brazil-Argentine

And I think this will be the route:

Brazil-Chile --- win Brazil
Brazil-Nederland --- win Brazil
Brazil-Uruguay --- win Brasil

Argentina-Mexico --- win Argentine
Argentina-Germany -- win Argentine
Argentine-Portugal --- win Argentina

and finally

Brazil-Argentine --- win ???? (But i like very much "samba"...so.. :scratch2:)

I realised yesterday that if England are to win the World Cup, they will quite likely have to beat Germany, Argentina, Portugal and Brazil.

That would be revenge against all the teams that knocked us out of our last four World Cups, and almost in the correct order :)

On the other hand of course the Germans could just win on penalties again...

3 lions on a shirt...

I realised yesterday that if England are to win the World Cup, they will quite likely have to beat Germany, Argentina, Portugal and Brazil.

That would be revenge against all the teams that knocked us out of our last four World Cups, and almost in the correct order :)

On the other hand of course the Germans could just win on penalties again...

and don't forget EURO 2004

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTBIit_X8Zk[/YOUTUBE]

Where's the Russian linesman when you need him? Or any competent linesman :rolleyes:

It's hard not to be impressed by how fast Germany change from defence to attack, and they sure know how to make goal :silly2:

:rolleyes:

That's the worst England defensive performance I can remember seeing since Kevin Keegan was manager, and possibly ever. Dreadful.

Well done Germany.

gratz germany, cant help but to think of how the game would have looked if the linesmen were in front of the TV instead of hmm buying hotdogs :scratch:

But still Germany were really impressive and deserved the win

gratz germany, cant help but to think of how the game would have looked if the linesmen were in front of the TV instead of hmm buying hotdogs :scratch:

But still Germany were really impressive and deserved the win

They deserved the win for sure but I don't think they were all that impressive. They were good, not great, but they didn't need to be anywhere near great today. We handed the match to them on a plate. I suspect Argentina will take them apart in the next round, but as is often said (at least on UK television), you should never rule out the Germans.

cant help but to think of how the game would have looked if the linesmen were in front of the TV instead of hmm buying hotdogs :scratch:

That was an embarassing moment for football, just like the ridiculous double-handball Brazil goal and the playacting induced laughable red card later in the same game. None of these would have happened with video technology.

Yes, you wouldn't be able to have it at all levels of play, but to argue it's too expensive is laughable. The English FA could cover all competitive matches in England with it for a fraction of the cost of hiring as England managers over-rated club managers who've past their best years.

44 years ago England scored a goal off the crossbar that is still debated today. The reason it is still debated is that even with the replays it is very hard to tell whether it was a goal or not. Today's version was not even close to that. The lack of technology shouldn't have mattered, terrible lineskeeping.

But, well, embarrassing game for England concluding an embarrassing tournament. At the start of the tournament we were all busy discussing the goalkeeper problem, who should we play? Goalkeeper is the only one who can walk away from the tournament with his head held high. Idiotic management all through imo, but even so I'd expect more from the players who collectively earn probably over £20mil a year.

Germany played nicely, good spirit and fast on the break. But from 2-0 and in complete control, it was a bit weak defensively to let it suddenly be 2-2 (with correct ref decisions). Germany v Argentina should be a great quarter final. Not sure Germany will have the defense for Argentina, but then again not sure Argentina are too strong defensively either.

Oh well, I lived in Spain for 7 years. For the next few weeks I'm Spanish. :D

A well deserved win for Germany.

Our defence was appalling. The Germans realised our defence was appalling, and they took full advantage of it!

Yes, that disallowed goal was a great injustice, but I'm quite glad it didn't end up losing us the game. Our poor play, especially in defence lost us the game.

England are a great side, but any Englishman who said we would win was in denial from the start.

Germany were a far better side than us, and today they showed that they are more than capable of lifting the cup.

Last edited:
useless and overpaid.

gratz to germany.

at least jenson buton and lewis ham did a good job coming 2nd and 3rd in the f1

Yes, you wouldn't be able to have it at all levels of play, but to argue it's too expensive is laughable.
I'm not much for soccer/football usually more of a ice hockey fan ;)
But are the argument for not having it economical?

If thats the case, open your eyes worlds soccer/football fans there has to be something else making it not happen.
We have it in hockey and had it since years now, sure might be less expensive to install in an indoors arena like hockey typically is played in but then soccer/football are a Worldwide sport with media coverage off the scale if you compare to hockey which is mostly russia/europe/n.america...

So the economical argument cant be whats it really about, especially not in the World Cup or top European leagues (cant speak for leagues outside Europe but I guess the top leagues all over the world should have the means to install/use it too)

Now lets all hope that Mexico make it ;)
(be fun to have outsiders in the finals)

But of course Argentine is the team I think will make it to the finals and play against Spain (dont hate me if they have to meet before to reach the finals ;))

The big problem I see with using video technology is the timing aspect - not only how it affects the flow of the game, but also there are questions about when you stop play.

Would you have stopped the game at the point of the disputed goal to check the evidence, or let play go on? If you let play go on, what would have happened if Germany had immediately gone up the other end and scored?

What they should definitely do is use the Hawkeye thingy to give an immediate and clear signal to the ref or 4th official when the ball crosses the line. An instant yes/no decision like that would prevent errors like today's without disrupting play in any way.

Too bad for England, i did not see the full game, but for what i saw England was trying real hard to get their 2nd goal and bam, 2 lethal counter attacks killed the game for England.

Let's see who takes it in the next game today. Argentina are favourites, but Mexico is well able to cause a surprise for what i already saw of their football.

As for the video support for the referees, there is no excuse to not have it already. I mean, in Europe (UEFA), the 4th referee already has a TV in front of him. The thing is, the first referee should be kept informed at all times of the correctness of his decisions.

FIFA, on the other hand are worrying too much about the non-european countries not beeing able to do the same. And then you have goals with hands and weird offsides. FIFA needs to reform.....

Where are the linesmen today!!! (Argentines first goal, and now they got another :( )

The big problem I see with using video technology is the timing aspect - not only how it affects the flow of the game, but also there are questions about when you stop play.
Didn't think of the time aspect but surely that can be worked out within a year of discussions within the involved organizations

and yes that instant yes/no should be a perfect way tho

Oh my god, that goal of Argentina was sooo scandalously irregular, the player was clearly offside!!! :mad:

I wonder how is it possible to screw things so bad!:confused::eek:

THis is the fourth very bad mistake with a direct influence in the result that i see in this world cup. :mad::mad::mad:

And Mexico was playing better than Argentina ...

Some sort of challenge system similar to the tennis must be possible.

Meanwhile, Mexico v Argentina has been totally ruined by another lineskeeping blunder. An offside, where not only were there no defenders behind the striker in question but there wasn't even a goalkeeper behind him.

Didn't think of the time aspect but surely that can be worked out within a year of discussions within the involved organizations

Some sort of challenge system similar to the tennis must be possible.

People have been talking about this for at least 15 years and I've yet to hear anyone come up with a sensible way of doing it.

Take the Argentina offside decision - some would say that you could look at the video after the ball goes in the net, and disallow the goal. Seems straightforward enough. But what if the ball doesn't go in and stays in play for another 10 minutes? When do you look at the decision, and what affect could it have? Do we have to replay the last 10 minutes if the decision proved to be wrong? That would be ludicrous. Do we only consult the video in the event of a disputed goal? That would introduce an inherent unfairness in the system.

Unless you examine every single decision, which would be ridiculous, human judgement must still be applied somewhere, which nullifies the point of introducing technology solutions in the first place.

The good thing about human error is that all teams are equally susceptible to it.

Back