Social Interface Improvement Requests after Vu 14.6.0

Status
I like that we have universal chatting. Awesome! :) I want this feature kept.
Unfortunately the background and text are now too washed out for me to read. I have healthy good eyes just cannot be bothered to strain them to read when there is not enough contrast.
Am honestly puzzled how it is that people think reducing contrast is good idea for chatting. Text has been washed out and background also washed out. How could that have happened?

Beacause it hasnt been properly developed and tested,either MA said right lets release it , see what the community want us to change. (ie. let them test it for us as we have no idea how to properly present a proper chatbox)
or some bozo at MA thought it was ok and that we would all love it. Either way whoever is the person in charge of these decisions would have been shown the door with my size 10 up his ass if I was in charge.

Last edited:
Developers, we as a community would like to thank you for working on the UI. We appreciate your work. This thread isn't a bitch thread, but a log of suggestions to make the new chat UI better.

You do not somehow speak for anybody else than yourself. Certainly you do not speak for "we as a community" in any shape or form.

1) Each tab should have the ability to enter chat, and a selectable channel that chat is entered into.
12) Older folks are complaining that the colors are too dull. They would like to see the pallet expanded to include some bright colors, and perhaps the ability to adjust the contrast a bit to achieve a darker black on the chat window.
16) Private messages should appear in their own tab.
17) Message center needs to be resizeable.
21) [channel] tags are not seen as necessary.
24) No need for System tab by default.
26) Messages should be able to be removed from message interface.

And you are anyways wrong on these. you can enter text into any tab, contrast is not an older persons issue (many older persons want less contrast ... if you get hurt by low or high is a vision issue), you can make private messages appear just as you want, the message center is resizable, channel is vital in multichannel tabs not to get colour overload and you can remove messages.

How about doing some minimal checking before presuming to pretend to speak for us?

if they do that whole list, it would be so great! :thumbup:

as is, it's sort of a half-assed job! broke a lot of things I liked, but also added a lot of new things I really like... and added a lot of new things I hate, because they need improvement!

You do not somehow speak for anybody else than yourself. Certainly you do not speak for "we as a community" in any shape or form.

And you are anyways wrong on these. you can enter text into any tab, contrast is not an older persons issue (many older persons want less contrast ... if you get hurt by low or high is a vision issue), you can make private messages appear just as you want, the message center is resizable, channel is vital in multichannel tabs not to get colour overload and you can remove messages.

How about doing some minimal checking before presuming to pretend to speak for us?

Hi Remontoire,

This is a list generated from other players. Almost all of the points, and certainly those below number 7, are on this thread. The first 7 I gathered from people at Camp Icarus when I decided to make this thread. All I am doing is listening to them and consolidating issues in one place. I have no personal crusade here.

In fact I am not speaking for other players at all. I am letting them speak for themselves, and putting all of their particular issues in a convenient, easy to read list so folks don't have to wade through dozens of different threads on the same subject. People have maintained lists on this forum before. There's a rather long history of it. This is no different.

Perhaps you should read the thread instead of pouncing on any random opportunity to attack someone simply because you dont like them.

Thanks,

-MR

Last edited:
Developers, we as a community would like to thank you for working on the UI. We appreciate your work. This thread isn't a bitch thread, but a log of suggestions to make the new chat UI better.

I think the whole forum knowes the sad animosity (and may be this could improve one day) there is between Mr Magyar & Myself, anyway, he did this list like anybody else would have done it in the forum, to .... hope .... Mindark management (mainly) and their good programmers, make this new interface a bit more intuitive and enjoyable for all of us.

You did well Magyar.

Last edited:
Be honnest seem to bring me troubles again....

Last edited:
This is a list generated from other players. Almost all of the points, and certainly those below number 7, are on this thread. The first 7 I gathered from people at Camp Icarus when I decided to make this thread. All I am doing is listening to them and consolidating issues in one place. I have no personal crusade here.
In this context, what about my suggestions?
link

In this context, what about my suggestions?
link

Those are decent suggestions. I probably missed them because in the beginning you offered some sort of correction. That wasn't the point of this thread, so I likely scrolled to the next post.

I'm taking anyone's input, but if people start with some sort of back and forth their post might be missed. I'm letting MA filter the issues that are in the game, but difficult to figure out, from the issues that are not in the game and should be (or are desired to be). There's a good reason for that. If they're hard to find and necessary, that is valuable information and can be used towards determining usability of the interface. Shows them there's more work to do in that area, that it's not done yet.

As these ideas often are not mine, I do not want to arbitrate them or classify them. Just organize them. My requirements are simple.

Is it relevant to improving the new UI? If yes, then it will get added.
Is it already said? If yes, then it will not get added again.

I'm also scrolling past posts that say "BRING BACK THE OLD UI!" because those also miss the point of this thread.

Last edited:
I left the forum to go back in game.
Start to hunt, a friend pm me, i resize the chat / VLAM !!!!!! ninja respawn just in front of me !

And i saw this happen yes, many times today while hunting (I was telling myself i should do a video).

Coincidence ? no, I saw so many....

nice, almost done /w the 10k trax there m8! wtg! :wtg:

Thanks for the effort, excellent list.
Those are decent suggestions. I probably missed them because in the beginning you offered some sort of correction. That wasn't the point of this thread, so I likely scrolled to the next post.

nice, almost done /w the 10k trax there m8! wtg! :wtg:

Yeah, also atm helping my friend joey at CP on his 10k aurli. (since 2-3 weeks).
Our last run is not really what I would qualify good....

111 left.

Please, a swirly would be welcomed.

As always with fucking Mindark. IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FUCKING TRY TO FIX IT.

There was NOTHING wrong with the old system. You can add certain features here and there without having to completely overhaul it and trash it in the process.

Also, number 10 on the list, like WTF are these developers smoking?!

Another example of not only something that was just not at all needed, but not properly tested before being released.

I don't believe I've ever come across complaints of the old chat system. There have been recommendations for features to be added here and there, but not once have I seen a recommendation to turn the system into a dysfunctional mess.

Go to any ecommerce seminar and they will tell you NEVER change the base layout of your website, it will alienate people and make them uncomfortable with using that website.

The same principle applies within this game. You completely changed a system, that wasn't even dysfunctional, and replaced it with a system that has
  • removed large amounts of functionality
  • duplicated and forced a function the majority of people originally disabled by choice
  • added functions that are insignificant and overly complicated
    [*]taken the old user interface, put it in a blender, and then shat on it
  • made it painful to look at

Also, hire some people who know what they're doing.

thanks for saving me all the typing, how did you channel my feelings so perfectly, havent commented here in months but my head hurts from the mess on my screen.
the worst thing is that there is NO consistency across the interface..

every time i start to think that MA cant improve on the stupidity and incompetence they somehow manage to raise the bar, something that really impresses me, because i thought i had seen it all.

31) Rookie chat should be planetary, not universe wide.

Universal rookie chat is great for rookies on less inhabited planets, and possibly also in times of day when the general population is less than average. As long as the mechanism on different planets is about the same, I Think the problem the beginners meet are the same more or less whatever planet they are on.

Maybe a way to solve the confusion would be to show on what planet (in universal channels) a player is on, if the person is on Another planet than yourself.

Universal rookie chat is great for rookies on less inhabited planets, and possibly also in times of day when the general population is less than average. As long as the mechanism on different planets is about the same, I Think the problem the beginners meet are the same more or less whatever planet they are on.

Maybe a way to solve the confusion would be to show on what planet (in universal channels) a player is on, if the person is on Another planet than yourself.

or since its a chat, you could I dun know, maybe ASK whoever your interested in dealing with where they are at. do we really need yet another squinty word shoved into that mess?

or since its a chat, you could I dun know, maybe ASK whoever your interested in dealing with where they are at. do we really need yet another squinty word shoved into that mess?

I more thought about the cases "Anyone willing to buy my sweat". But, well you're right people could add their locations (where it's needed). Well, thinking of it, maybe it's more needed to the (universal) trade channel.

What I was thinking of was a small "tag" on just the universal channels, like [xx yy zz](Calypso), and that the "(Calypso)" tag would only show for people who are on Another planet than yourself. Also that it would only show the "short form", so just "(Arkadia)" (or maybe even just "(Ark)","(Cal)","(RT)",("NI") and not the long form "(Planet Arkadia)".

Last edited:
I still miss hotkeys for each chatchannel like Local, Society and so on.

Somehow I totally missed this thread until now, so will repost my thoughts from other places:

• Chat histories (up/down arrows) should be independent for each channel. When I press 'Arrow Up' in #Trade, I shouldn't see the previous message from #Soc - besides convenience, it will save from accidental sending out of private info.

• There should be a way to temporarily minimize windows without moving all their channels to other windows. E.g., I want to hide a window with trade/rookie channels but keep the one with system/PMs. At least they should fold the way the old UI's private chats did fold (so you see only a header), at best - there should be a panel from which you could select which windows you'd like to see now. Naturally, windows should remember their positions on screen.

• Commands like /listmembers without parameters should work for the currently selected channel

• Instead of a few predefined colors, add a 8- or better 16-bit color picker, so everyone could make as crazy combinations as he wants

• Maybe remove the buttons that invoke Contacts and Message Center and let people use standard buttons from Action Library and place them wherever they what. Don't know is it possible to display dynamic data, like a messages counter, on standard buttons - if not, create for that purpose a little movable panel similar to the Action Set panel in the top-left corner, kinda like (with icons clickable and opening corresponding sections):

alertpanel.jpg
All is IMHO, of course, not necessarily anyone else would like anything of it.

Universal rookie chat is great for rookies on less inhabited planets,
Good for the rookies, bad for the planets. Right now it goes like "Wow, you are at X? X is shit, totally broken, come to us at Y!" and people leave even before they had a taste of their home planet.

[*]Maybe remove the buttons that invoke Contacts and Message Center and let people use standard buttons from Action Library and place them wherever they what. Don't know is it possible to display dynamic data, like a messages counter, on standard buttons - if not, create for that purpose a little movable panel similar to the Action Set panel in the top-left corner, kinda like (with icons clickable and opening corresponding sections):

alertpanel.jpg

That would be x1000000 times more convenient. Great idea :)

The change to whisper reminded me of this old joke (just one version of the multitude)

Little Johnny's mother taught him to say 'whisper' whenever he had to 'tinkle.' One day Little Johnny's grandpa paid them a visit. He was lying on the couch taking a nap when Little Johnny came up to him and said, "Grandpa, I have to whisper." Without opening his eyes, his grandpa said, "Whisper in my ear, son." When Little Johnny's mom heard a yell that carried for several blocks, she came running. "What's the matter?" she cried. Then, seeing Little Johnny she asked, "Did Little Johnny have to whisper?" "Yes!" the old man shouted, "Thank God he didn't have to shout!"

I'm beginning to think this, as it appears many others do, this is the alpha and they knew they'd get the fire storm of complaints and so did little or no design work on this interface. As for asking people while it was being developed, well it depends on who you ask.

At the moment the styling of interfaces is moving towards the clean and simplistic. I've been guilty of over styling things and after a year or two I go back think why the hell did I do that.

Last edited:
it came to me in a vision. This UI will always "kinda suck". In order to give reason for people to buy into premium for the "fancy UI's" that will come. RT/ark UI, a PK UI, a pirate UI, a miner/crafter/hunter UI. Maybe a Robot war UI, or "taming UI". Change up the functions a bit, and the graphics a lot. and instant ped generating "buzz" at relatively low cost to the devs.

would be easy to plug and play, a "new" UI every moth/quarter for the premium users.

Last edited:
Status
Back