My account is locked

Status
I cant help wondering, if we assume that paynove payed possibly double ammount of peds, and we must assume that whoever did this did it in a grand scale, and now is locked and possibly will be banned ? it sorta gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside that some jackasses possibly deposited several thousands of dollars hoping to double em fast but now stand with a 100% loss :laugh:

Poetic Justice ?

I am glad to see those who were locked are starting to be unlocked.

On a related issue (And IANAL) in the UK it is a criminal offence to knowingly buy a stolen item, or to knowingly accept payment in stolen money.
It is not a criminal offence to Unknowingly receive them, but as they are stolen, they did not belong to the person who sold/paid-with them, so they get taken away, and returned to the rightful owner.
You only get your money or items back if the police find them.

So in this case, as I understand it (purposefully making no reference to any individual), if someone bought an item off an avi (using "stolen peds"), firstly MA will try and find out if the selling avi was Knowingly receiving stolen peds.
Account gets locked for investigation.
MA finds no proof in their logs, that person is innocent.
Account gets unlocked.
However, the Selling AVI does not retain the right to keep the peds, as the peds did not belong to the person who paid with them. (under law, in the UK, AFAIK, and remembering IANAL).

This then causes MA a major pain, as the have stated "All trades are final" so many times, some of us have it tattooed on our butts.
MA have no choice but to leave the "stolen" peds on the cards of those who received them. (which seing as the fault really was MA's to start with, is only fair.)

Assuming the actual cause of the whole episode is what it has been assumed to be.

And remembering finally IANAL!

Just commenting that the laws regarding stolen goods/money are the same in the U.S. as in the U.K.

You can find out

Damn it, I reformatted my hard drive this weekend and still haven't gotten around to reinstalling EU. Now, I'll never know if I got locked or not. I feel so left out. The good stuff always happens when I'm not around.

:laugh:

Check your email. No messages from ma and you were saved from divine intervention.

where does this "fact" come from, is there something in the EULA, the website, quote or is it just an urban myth or supposition :scratch:

This "fact" comes from what one of M.A's staff said. That each item has a unique ID associated with it.

Imho every item should have an UUID as they have everywhere else. Avatars also have an UUID and perhaps there is a link in the databases. So for example Opalo has 101x1x as UUID and avatar has 1000x0 UUID. Now for example the 1000x0 avatar has two opalos then the 101x1x UUID presents two times in the database below the avatar, like a data tree.

That wouldn't be an UUID then, or at least not the sense of an UUID :)

where does this "fact" come from, is there something in the EULA, the website, quote or is it just an urban myth or supposition :scratch:

If i recall right, older players might correct me, the story has to do with the item duplication bug. Seems there wasn't unique item ID's in the database at that time and MA couldn't track down the duplicates because of this. Later on an MA official stated they added ID's to prevent something like that to happen again. Well that story might be totally wrong but thats how i recall it. :)

Yes, i was Unlock as the others, didnt have time to post on the forum.

... i was starting to write some speculation .. its better to not do that... im sure MA will give us an answer.

At this point i just can ssay well done. I was not hoping that i will log in the game, when i saw how many player was locked.

The RCE need this step.hope it will not hapen again :(.

mczimi

So, now the majority of innocents caught up in the trades have been unlocked.

I'd like to ask...

-Scammer deposits cash getting double or whatever method it was to get illicit peds into the game.
-Scammer buys lots of high end items
-Scammer gets locked and looses whatever cash he/she deposited along with the fraudulent peds
-Sellers of uber items get to keep their peds?

Who pays?

I'd really like an official statement on this as it seems we're talking about several thousand dollars.

Who pays?

I'd really like an official statement on this as it seems we're talking about several thousand dollars.

I guess we won't get an official statement about who pays. And i think it is much more then several thousand dollars. If you add the value of just a few of the items which were bought you end up at a few 100k peds. So we are talking about several ten thousand dollars if not hundred thousand. And as an earlier post stated this could have gone on for days...

And maybe it wasn't a scammer who just used an exploit. The chances that it was done by professionals are very high.They won't get caught and so they surely won't pay for it. So MA has to cover it and in the end we have to.

Here's for hoping they're covered by a fraud clause in their insurance policy :rolleyes:

Edit: Would it be too much to ask to reverse all transactions?

Here's for hoping they're covered by a fraud clause in their insurance policy :rolleyes:

Edit: Would it be too much to ask to reverse all transactions?

I guess it´s possible for MA to charge the people who deposited the extra ammount from their Paynova account or whatever.

The point everyone is missing is it's easy to get money in - but there is only one route out MA.:)

Why does everyone always speculate and assume.
Wait for MA to say what happened.

Everyone speculates and assumes because MA has not said anything at all yet, and the chances that we will get an details of what happened are slim.

Cheers :beerchug:

baaa

Just wait damn. Its not that easy.

Think about it... someone exploit depos 50,000peds, buy 50000 of stuff..... hes still worth 50kped!

The problem for MA is creditcard companies and paynova etc have chargeback rights on EU, so if its fraud in any sense those companies can reclaim their money.

Everyone speculates and assumes because MA has not said anything at all yet, and the chances that we will get an details of what happened are slim.

Cheers :beerchug:
Yes, closest thing to official info is this:
Haven't got time to read through all posts so perhaps this already has been sorted out. However, the reason for the mass lock is an exploit in Paynova that were discovered late last night MA time. Some players has abused this exploit to spread "fraud money" in the game. Paynova is for now locked, until further notice.
I say, better safe than sorry. Cred to MA for a quick response to the fraud. I'm sure most of you understand.

Regards

Now, this coming from a player instead of MA officials shows the level of communication on cases like this.

I can confirm that a statement will come. No ETA yet.

1. We speculate because we have to. ;)
2. Well, it's fun :ahh:
3. It would be very unwise from MA to give us details about what happened :) (-> start again at 1.)

More serious:
I think MA handled it in an approiate way. Locking the accounts was a necessity and I guess they had a lot of stress the last days regarding this issue. Maybe we have some lucky guys who made some extra PEDs because of the BO-sells. But reversing all transaction might be next to impossible depending on how clever the guy/s were.

Last edited:
I don’t think that MA will ever say the truth about this incident ...

How trustworthy can MA be in the eyes of future investors if any flaw is found in depositing system?

All the economy and the advertise of EU is on RCE aspect, so if that proves to be malfunctioning (even once) MA will not attract any investors to develop on a doubtful platform so don’t expect MA to officially say "We were robbed inside our own game" (because that seems to be the problem now)

Hope this gets resolved soon

I really want to see what the problem was :)

Thanks Marco, I look forward to it.

I don’t think that MA will ever say the truth about this incident ...

How trustworthy can MA be in the eyes of future investors if any flaw is found in depositing system?

All the economy and the advertise of EU is on RCE aspect, so if that proves to be malfunctioning (even once) MA will not attract any investors to develop on a doubtful platform so don’t expect MA to officially say "We were robbed inside our own game" (because that seems to be the problem now)

Hope this gets resolved soon

I really want to see what the problem was :)

I think that's a slight over dramatisation. Banks are scammed daily and we still invest in them.
It is almost impossible to completely safeguard your business against fraud. As long as it only happens occasionally and to a small scale it will not be an issue for savvy investors.

Thanks Marco, I look forward to it.

I think that's a slight over dramatisation. Banks are scammed daily and we still invest in them.
It is almost impossible to completely safeguard your business against fraud. As long as it only happens occasionally and to a small scale it will not be an issue for savvy investors.

Yep, and if MA is lucky this "incident" could also bring more investors ingame. If they handle - and can handle - the problem well, it proves that EU is a reliable and secure platform.

I still think my PEDs are safe :)

EU is a reliable and secure plateform. No doubt about that.

Now, ppl need to feel securised. It was an accident./

EU is a reliable and secure plateform. No doubt about that.

Now, ppl need to feel securised. It was an accident./

a secure and reliable platform means "accidents" would not cause a disruption as seen here.
A participant lock that, from the outside, seems to imply a panic reaction by mindark shows me that Mindark itself doesnt consider the system secure and reliable.

this:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/bug-reports/113943-warning-missing-loot.html

does not happen on a secure and reliable system either..

That you do not doubt that the system is secure and reliable without any evidence to support that is not my problem..

What is a problem is you making blanket statements to that effect in public in a thread of very dissapointed people.

what were you thinking? :)

*Placing pretend purple whip back up on the hook and engaging hug emote!*

Thanks for popping in Mr Marco ... looking forward to your statement with patience. :D

I'm tellin' ya, the PED is as solid as the wall of this fortress, and...

...nevermind.

Status
Back