Entire NI Staff let go. New Direction.

That... sucks

Heartbreaking blog post. :(

Do you have additional info Spart? No mention in the post of a new direction. Perhaps there is no direction?

:eyecrazy::holyshit::cdevil::cry: ............

Was that a blog for Next Island or her blog of general stuff?

And one more, what was her job at next island?

Rgds

Ace

Yeah a lot of questions. First we hear of Mindstar leaving the Cyrene team and now this??

Too bad, they were slowly turning things around. But not very surprising in the end, they started way too late with the turnaround.

Sad news, but as other have said, no surprise if NI have problems. EU will never be able to support this many planets if the player base don't start increasing. NI och Rocktropia will be the planets that will have problems first.

So now what? Another planet goes back to MA or just changing teams? :scratch2:

NI och Rocktropia will be the planets that will have problems first.

Don't know about Rocktropia. There are actually quite a lot of players playing there.

Don't know about Rocktropia. There are actually quite a lot of players playing there.

Okey, it's possible they have a big enough playerbase to manage, i actually like Rocktropia because it's a bit different from the rest. Problem is that the original idea of planet to promote music and artist seems to kind of died of.

I wonder what MA will do if and when the planet owners withdraws. Best solution in my opinion would be to have it in a "freeze" state, MA keep it running, but don't do any new developments of the planet. To total close a planet down would not be a good solution for those who have apartments, blueprints and similar items connected to the planet.

I wonder what MA will do if and when the planet owners withdraws. Best solution in my opinion would be to have it in a "freeze" state, MA keep it running, but don't do any new developments of the planet.

Without regular updates planet would just die and then planet running costs alone would be way higher than actual income from it so i don't think that kind of planet would be open for long.

Without regular updates planet would just die and then planet running costs alone would be way higher than actual income from it so i don't think that kind of planet would be open for long.

Well, it's that or close down the planet. It's not really fair against other planet partners if MA would start to running a couple of planets, it bad enough with one (Calypso).

New Direction.
Not a word about a new direction, nor about keeping the old direction either.

The whole time NI has been online it was surrounded with a cloud of false rumors, another one in the farewell message is kinda symbolic.

Problem is that the original idea of planet to promote music and artist seems to kind of died of.
That's the failure of the new PP's none of them have done any decent marketing to bring in new players. They all seem to be fighting for the same player base. Arkadia being more successfull at it than others.

I seriously think MA should place some kind of new condition on new PP's. Something that will make PP's live up to their promises of increasing the player base as they describe in their original planet proposal. What we have found is those ideas in the proposal have just turned out to be empty words. Words are cheap!

The fact that's true for all PP's may indicate their is a bigger problem/issue there...

I wonder what MA will do if and when the planet owners withdraws. Best solution in my opinion would be to have it in a "freeze" state, MA keep it running, but don't do any new developments of the planet. To total close a planet down would not be a good solution for those who have apartments, blueprints and similar items connected to the planet.

I asked support this question as I have some investments on RT. Their answer was MA would indeed take over the running of a planet if it were to go bankrupt.

I beg to differ. In a frozen state it's zero cost to MA as their is no development costs, their would always be some people touring such planets for holidays , old time sakes etc and therefore such planets would generate some income albeit not that much.

Frozen state for short term is ok but for long term I think MA would have to consider a new development team for such a planet.

To be honest some of the failing planets imho would be better of with fresh blood i.e. new management. RT for example is a good planet concept, a new development team could quite easily turn the planet around. All they would have to do for RT would be open and honest, this together with a decent development staff. That planet would then be huge.

So RT going bankrupt would be a good scenario for RT the planet because I very much doubt the existing team is capable of changing from their "working style".

Similarly NI could also be huge with the right management. Someone at the top who actually knows what they are doing with regard to gaming.

All this shows is MA have to be more carefull before giving approval for a planet. So far we seem to be having more failures than success stories...

Was that a blog for Next Island or her blog of general stuff?

And one more, what was her job at next island?

Rgds

Ace

That was Meg's blog. Her job was creative writer.

Too bad, they were slowly turning things around. But not very surprising in the end, they started way too late with the turnaround.

The same day David posted about a deal for funding fell thru.

Wondering the same thing, had high hopes for Next Island. :(

All said and done i dont see why NI should claim bankruptcy or be given back to MA. I mean come on all that work for nothing at all. I am pretty sure that David can sell it off to another interested individual. Even if it means selling for 1k usd ( just a weird number , nothing to go by) its still better then just giving it back to MA I would think. Plenty of buyers would be interested in running a planet.

Last but not the least NI has POTENTIAL. So relax as i dont see it going down the gutter anytime soon or for that matter going to MA.

PS: I do not know whether planet sales are allowed and if there are any conditions attached. So the above is based on the assumption that there arent any conditions to it and it is allowed.

Damn last i heard they had a new backer, kinda sad news even though i not really a ni fan.

I always liked the actual idea of timezones though.

Last edited:
NI had a great concept behind Ancient Greece - to take away all our uber gear and weapons and show us what we are worth when all we have is our evade and HP... A chance to be a noob again, on a beautiful tropical island, a wonderful concept, isn't it?

Well no, it was a huge mistake. Average EU player buys a big armor and big gun, shoots mobs way over his level until he's broke, whines over all forums and then leaves. To be killed by a tiny mob because u can't use your gun and armor was a terrible humiliation. Pretty soon the rumors started about a "noob island" where's "no big mobs". Conveniently skipping the part who was it really who felt like pathetic noob over there. :laugh:

Well, the truth is, bigger mobs on NI can kill 99% of EU players even in their full armor in an instant. I have seen Mercury die over there, and Warants - what a bunch of noobs! :tongue2:

Or take the rumors about broken crafting system. You can ask around on Caly and everybody "knows" NI crafting system is buggy and broken. Including those who never set their foot on NI. The fact that half the game is running around with Ark and NI weapons doesn't arouse any suspicions - Ark crafting system is still perfect and NI's broken.

OK, that was my bow of respect to Next Island. Now clean out this horrible NI already and give us another planet where we can do pew pew wearing our shiny armor.

The more interconnected the craft system becomes the more reason to work on the planet. If it had a unique resource that went into a vehicle or a certain component, that also takes unique resources from other planets, the better.

Ark so far works well for a couple reasons, one of my favorite things is you can actually walk away from most tps with out getting mobbed, its silly stuff like this that makes caly suck more than it should.

I have to agree, I would not if I could help it forfeit my planet back to MA, I would sell it for what I could or do something. Would not put MA in a position to be a reseller of planets.

So Meg is out, funding is in trouble. Well, I guess my Hoplite is going to be a relic, and my Archeons is going to go through the roof when it can't be crafted anymore.

The business model of MA creates a niche game. Very few are going to 'play.' The only thing planet partners are going to do is compete against other planet partners for the same decay generators. Growth is too slow to build a planet from the ground up.

The real thing is MA gets their cut regardless of where a player spends their time. So MA doesn't care if there is 100,000 players on 1 planet or 100,000 players on 10 planets. So MA will be the last to go financially. You'll see planet partners drop first and my guess is Calyspso will be the last one standing.

Just a matter of time.

Farthest planet from Caly.
Stupid childish monkeys .
No reason/encouragement to go there.

No hope.

I seriously think MA should place some kind of new condition on new PP's. Something that will make PP's live up to their promises of increasing the player base as they describe in their original planet proposal. What we have found is those ideas in the proposal have just turned out to be empty words. Words are cheap!

well there is, they need to have a van load of cash to get on board. thats supposed to sustain them for the time it takes to get operational and making some revenue.

problem is, as you point out, no one is marketing. I thought NI with its backers would make publicity and gain some traction. alas it seems to think it can just cannablise the existing market, but we know the revenue structure is designed to make that not work. I think Neverdie, for all his critics, probably runs a small enough operation to get by. not sure if Arkadia getting new player in, but i reckon they know the score and funded to cover the long game.

been @ ni 2 time's , rt the same they both blergh so i wont mind if they go.
but if a pp goes bankrupt mind ark will take over and the planet will then probably be sold to a new intrested compagny.

as the value of such a planet that went bankrupt won't be as hight as that calypso is ,i wont think it will be a huge problem to get it resold.
and if it happens i hope that it wont be sold with the old crew that ff' ed the planet up in the first place.

what i don't understand is that i have not seen any attempt to get gamers from any of the planet partners.
lately not even from mind ark aswell.

yes they made face book thing , but that is not even working at my page.

any moo cow .........:laugh: i play on caly only so i actually dont care.

regards , Qetesh

All said and done i dont see why NI should claim bankruptcy or be given back to MA. I mean come on all that work for nothing at all. I am pretty sure that David can sell it off to another interested individual.
doesn't another partner already own part of the place since his name's all over the place? Maybe NDS will buy the Planet Next Island master deed?

The same day David posted about a deal for funding fell thru.(

O damn it did?? I was in hopes that maybe they got pissed that she just made yet one more crystal or something and let her go. Then again, at times I was guessing she was the only staff member. I hope at the end that NI stays as a planet. I've been away from it for a while, but I sure do miss it.

I doubt NI will go to MA, sinse MA never owned it as it did with Calypso. NI will either disapear, or get sold.

Mastermesh, ND's name is not plastered "all over that planet" Actually it's just in one small area on one server. Counting AG NI has 6 server areas, so ND's name is plastered on a couple huts on 1/6th of NI.

As for the speculation of him buying it. Well I doubt it. It would then put him into the position his studio was in at the start, and that was being stretched too thin trying to work on two planets.

Maybe someone will buy some of the NI content though and make it an Island on their planet.

Back