advertizing gone? that the cause of bad loot?

jellyfish

Dominant
i heard some rumors and i would just like to check if anyone got any info on it. someone, whom i will not name, said that some time ago entropia had company advertizing, and at that time making money on entropia was easy, and the loot was good. Then the advertizing stopped and players return on investment hit rock bottom.

is there any truth to this? are mindark having plans on starting to let other company advertize in their game, and by doing so the general return on investment will be better ?

(is there no "ask questions to mindark"-section? )

thanks in advance.

hmmm :scratch: not sure if the advertising has stopped or not. I was always under the impression that there were advertising based loots (big ATHs) but not sure if that is correct or not. Massive was the company bringing advertising and I saw a few regional ads for a while then it tapered off. Loot? well I can't say I noticed any difference before, during, or after the advertisements.

I would think its still all in place but maybe on hold while MA grinds out he CE2 bugs and puts the ad screens back up near the TPs.

i can confirm you that some years ago i saw mcdonald and car ads in entropia. ABout the loot , for me was bad like usual. But this is me.

I think I remember seeing a movie trailer or two in EU before VU10.

I also definitely remember some promotional vids for EU itself as advertisements...in EU. I didn't think it made much sense either.

I also didn't notice any difference in loot when the ads were here.

I think the important thing here is to note that loots have never been good. There was no particular golden time where money was falling from the trees. Some people look back with a nostalgic view and remember when loots were better. That bit's arguable, but the plain fact is this:

Everyone who plays pays some money (from their own pockets or otherwise). That money gets redistributed, and some get more back than others. MA need to take a very sizeable chunk of this money to run the game, which leaves a much smaller amount to get distributed back to the players.

Most people are not in the business of *wanting* to lose loads of money, however some do. This is the way of the world, and you may or may not get a decent proportion of it. However, the likelihood is that you will not, otherwise this game simply wouldn't work.

That's all I have to say on the matter :wtg:

EDIT: Oh... and nobody from MA has ever said that the advertising fund has dried up, but that's definitely not to say that it hasn't. If I were an advertiser, I doubt I'd be that interested in wasting money in EU at the moment.

EDIT: Oh... and nobody from MA has ever said that the advertising fund has dried up, but that's definitely not to say that it hasn't. If I were an advertiser, I doubt I'd be that interested in wasting money in EU at the moment.

Sad, but true. EU as a whole needs to develop quite a bit more before advertising will really work out well. With upcoming planets I hope to see advertisements enticing people to visit various worlds. I also hope that the space station and asteroid station (CND) arent the only explored objects in Calypsospace, and that as time moves on we start to develop a sort of tourism industry around the game itself.

With a few of these basic things to keep the advertisements moving while out of game interests are enticed back, it might work out. Perhaps if they turn the adscreen around in Ft Argus it would help too! ;)

I think the last time I saw any outside advertising in EU was at least a year ago, if not longer.

I remember Mickey Ds ads and even a US Army ad, which I thought was odd at the time since this is a global game. Figured it was probably tailored to my IP address. If not, then that is quite funny. Anyone from Russia feel like joining OUR military? :laugh:

But is loot any different now then it was back then? If it is, I certainly don't notice it...

there was never a great deal of advertising.

there has been a correllation between the two, but i believe thats more to do with the general real economic situation, fancy game advertising budgets cut at a similar time to peoples gaming budget getting cut. less money active in game, less loot it seems.

I remember Mickey Ds ads and even a US Army ad, which I thought was odd at the time since this is a global game. Figured it was probably tailored to my IP address. If not, then that is quite funny. Anyone from Russia feel like joining OUR military? :laugh:
Never seen that, but seen one Swedish ad(Telia) probably about a year ago or so but thats the only real world ad I seen here.
Loot as usual for me as for most others

I think the last time I saw any outside advertising in EU was at least a year ago, if not longer.

But is loot any different now then it was back then? If it is, I certainly don't notice it...

Alot of people join the US Army, from differnt countrys, it helps them to join the country legaly. just to throw that out there.

But seriously? there was Ads for Mcdonalds? and US Army Recruitment... thats quite sick. :D

Lies.
Loot has, is and always will be, crap.
Adverts bring in more money for Mindark, not for us.

i heard some rumors and i would just like to check if anyone got any info on it. someone, whom i will not name, said that some time ago entropia had company advertizing, and at that time making money on entropia was easy, and the loot was good. Then the advertizing stopped and players return on investment hit rock bottom.

is there any truth to this? are mindark having plans on starting to let other company advertize in their game, and by doing so the general return on investment will be better ?

(is there no "ask questions to mindark"-section? )

thanks in advance.

thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about in game advertising by outside sponsors it was never a big thing and probably had little or no effect on the loot and pobably would not in the future as the fees will and would have went directly to MA.

There hasn't been any significant advertising for at least three years, as company decision not to promote the game beyond simply sustaining the active membership, until the the platform was complete and planet partners were lined up and ready to go... which is happening now... as soon a VU10 is complete, no point to advertising something that's not ready.

Loot is not bad.... it is as many surveys and records posted here virtually the same as it's been for the last three years.

Last edited:
Brooklyn knows cause she's been playing for three mont.. err, years.

Brooklyn knows
because
Brooklyn reads
the forum

:scratch2:
Going to threaten to punch me in the face again...
Dweeb boy

I haven't seen any ads ingame since VU 10 finally. No longer will I be harassed by the adsound even if I have closed it down ingame. I don't want to see Telia (swedish cellphone Internet and so one(it is shit IMO) ads) :D
Sure they bring money to MA but I'm happy without them :)

There hasn't been any significant advertising for at least three years

Well I'm coming up on my 2 year birthday in game and I distinctly remember seeing the ads I mentioned, in addition to other major brands, in the time that I've been in game. I can say without a doubt that this statement is not true. I'd say it's closer to a year, maybe a year and a half. Certainly not three...

Problem is the funds from advertising, even if we'd have 24 h/day advertising on all billboards ingame would bring something in the range of 1k eur a month, in the happy situation.

You can't seriously think at advertising when your daily audience is in the range of 10-20k.

ingame advertising system [billboards specifically] are one of the foolest systems ingame ... imho ...

see for example the main billboard that is in Twins entrance [dont remember from which side] ... u can only see its content when u are coming into twins from that road ... u cant see the ad if u are standing at the tp for example

and thats insane ...

I am trader and Im interested to publicize myself and would pay for that if ppl standing at Twins tp could see that add

if I were MA Id just put one rolling billboard around tp itself ... the billboard would be circled around tp ... got some of those ideas, but who cares ...

ideas keep coming lol

and why not creating those places and selling those to players just like its in rl?

Well, I do not think that's it. At old times, Entropia had twice players than now, and then, obviously had more globals. In my opinion, they are managing a virtual world as if it were only a game. Similarly, when a country has a bad president, the country goes into recession, that it was happened here. They have very good programmers, and designers of games, but I think that they need a professional in economics. I believe that is the problem. Entropia is in recession.

For example, its balancing team is only concerned about maintaining the overall proportions of Globals and Hofs in the same proportion as the numbers of hunters, miners and crafters who exists in the game. But that is not enough. Because Globals and Hofs always means a loss for the player (Mindark is not a charity enterprise). The Hunters are the players hardest hit by the game. Their weapons and other equipment are very expensive and depreciate rapidly, therefore require that the Loots that are receiving must have good MUs. (As it occurs in mining). The MU is low because there are not BPs using hunting products that are profitable for the crafters (There is no demand for the products of the hunters :( ). Then, most players (the hunters) or will left the game or fail to put money and no longer buy things. the economy goes into recession!. Furthermore, the miners receive high MU but they are only a very few of people and therefore are unable to move the overall economy through its purchases (departments, clothing, services). Besides when a little of persons have many money is being able to tempt many of them withdrawing money from the game(*), and things just got worse each time.

-------
(*) While if many players had only enough to continue in the game, at some point, they will be tempted to continue depositing money in the game, to reach his dreams. - The current administration of the game is killing the dreams of most of the players!!. That is the problem and not only the lack of ads!

Last edited:
someone, whom i will not name, said that some time ago entropia had company advertizing, and at that time making money on entropia was easy, and the loot was good.
Making money on Entropia has never been easy, but some people have selective memories.....

But seriously? there was Ads for Mcdonalds? and US Army Recruitment... thats quite sick. :D
Army, and Air Force too.
There was an ad for the Navy SEALs in a mall.
Movie trailers as well.
2 yrs ago.
Could be that no return on investment = no more advertising.

Remember the Wendy’s ad that was loud as hell...:eek:

Back