Aircraft

andy5579

Elite
Society
Freelancer
Richard Frankenberry Adams
With the recent inclusion of vehicles, it won't be long before MA/FPC delves into the realm of aircraft.
  • What do you think the current problems are with the cars?
  • And how can we avoid those problems with flying vehicles?
  • What kind of things would you like to see for flight in the future?
  • And what kind of mechanisms would you like to see in terms of controlling the vehicles? Joysticks? Simple mouse control?
  • How realistic would you want planes to be in terms of gliding and landing e.t.c.?
  • And what kind of roles would you like to see aircraft playing in the future?

---------------------------------------------

Personally I would quite like to see both planes and hover vehicles/jetpacks. Imagine soaring over Calypso, skimming hill tops, able to find spots to land and regroup with team members-without the risk of teleporting into mobs and enemy pvpers! These would be able to go straight up without a run up or time to gather speed, and would use one of two control mechanisms.

The first would be where the player presses a predetermined button to unleash fuel and the jet forces the craft or player skywards, while the player then uses WASD to angle the craft, and mouse to turn in midair.
Second could be more simple, with two buttons e.g. G and B used to increase height/decrease height and WASD to move the vehicle or player like the car-but in midair.

IMO I would much prefer the first option to give the real feeling of flying for example with the jetpack, but the second option might be better for a hovercraft.

Next, in regard to planes, It would be interesting to be able to use a joystick ingame if you want that option, but also the option for a normal keyboard and mouse layout. This could use buttons on the keyboard to increase/decrease throttle and the mouse or keyboard to control pitch/yaw and flaps. I would quite like to see a more realistic version of flying if we we able to have planes, the player dying and having to respawn if the landing is bad, having to have a clear area to start flight and get speed up e.t.c.

I don't see any easy way of being able to do proper dogfights in the game, but it would be interesting to see how others would develop this. Missiles? Turrets that you can attach onto the plane? Would you like to see planes flying over a claim marker on the landgrab, soc members jumping out of the cargo bay? Or would you prefer to see bombs raining down? :laugh:

What kind of customisation would you like for planes? It would be interesting to be able to make custom planes e.g. buy engines, different wings e.t.c. which all have different stats in a way that someone couldn't just buy the most expensive parts and have the best plane-but a thoughtful person would be able to buy modest parts and have a plane able to do a certain job well but others not so well-e.g. a lightly armoured scouting/transport plane-not able to take many hits, but is able to scout out areas quickly to report back to other team members, and is able to transport members fast across land.

What do you guys think should be key things to think about in regards to aircraft? And if you could have an ideal aircraft in EU-What would it do, and how would it work?
Frankenberry

Last edited:
I'd like to see mouse controls like when running in first person.

Jetpacks.

See, that would be enough for me :yay:

What do you think the current problems are with the cars?
One of the main ones is the lag when there are several cars together in the same place. This would need to be solved so that if someone is out hunting they do not suddenly experience a lot of lag just because a couple of aeroplanes fly overhead. This could presumably be done best by requiring aeroplanes to fly at a certain height so that they do not need many pixels to be rendered for an observer on the ground.

About the dogfights... Pilot should be able to use a gun that's shooting in the direction where the plane is flying to ( don't know how to explain it :p.. What I mean is that it should look like firing plane guns in Battlefield: Heroes :p ).
And the guys on turrets should be aiming fast :p.

MA should also add parachutes to tt.. 5 PED value, unlimited, 0.5 or 0.25 PEC decay :p ( but still, no falling damage :p)

I hope MA/FPC introduces a third continent for planes,
I think the current ones are almost to small for them.
Also in order for dogfights to work,
they would have to change the semi realtime weapons system
(I am talking about the cooldown phase of the weapons)
they are using now for the handheld and mounted weapons to a realtime weapons system
(shooting without cooldown phase)
and in general I think that should be done for PvP gameplay.

About the dogfights... Pilot should be able to use a gun that's shooting in the direction where the plane is flying to ( don't know how to explain it :p.. What I mean is that it should look like firing plane guns in Battlefield: Heroes :p ).
And the guys on turrets should be aiming fast :p.

MA should also add parachutes to tt.. 5 PED value, unlimited, 0.5 or 0.25 PEC decay :p ( but still, no falling damage :p)

Crysis parachuting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVOArOFm3oU&feature=related

Only problem so far with my car is that on first testrun it ended up upside down and I couldn't figure out how to get it upside up ;) again. I hade to exit the car, return to storage and respawn it.

And the spawning of vehicles I don't really like. Give us garages like with animals and stables.

Nice ideas. +rep for thread starter.

We need flying cars and submersibles for those bird spawns and the fishies. :yay:

If I can tip my plane on its' nose, then I'm happy. That's the only feature I want, and it should be unique to me.

One thing that I hope they DO NOT implement is fall damage. I suspect that would give a more "real" experience in flying vehicles, but it'd be pretty darn annoying if you "fall" off of the steep cliffs at Athena Space Port or somewhere similar, even at PA, and end up at a revival terminal or have to fap just because you fell... If they do implement this sort of stuff, it really makes it look pretty fishy as to why the heck they put so many darn cliffs in after vu 10...

o

I'd expect as in RL per advanced flight clearance delivery i.e route clearances to aircraft with terminal control ? LOL

Now if this came it would require some new parameters of control?

Given those parameters FPC would have to be rubber banding, applying capability within many other condsiderations of a multi-axial keyboard/mouse mapping/capability.

General rant ???

Last edited:
Well since were in the future I would assume planes would be able to do vertical take-offs and landings like harriers or the planes on warhawk. Maybe have flynig saucers like aliens have :D At least this way I wont smash into trees.

* What do you think the current problems are with the cars?

I think there should be more restrictions on where players can park vehicles and bring them out. They seem to be only good for PVP...that seems like a downfall. IMO MF translocation will be used less because of vehicles. I dislike it when they modify the game and it makes older items worth less (the only thing it accomplishes is to piss people off vets). And I could rant forever about how giving away vehicles for free was a mistake.

* And how can we avoid those problems with flying vehicles?

To start, don't give them away for free. Make them craftable (fyi I'm not a crafter). I think its a good idea to add an upgradeable component system with lots of parts to add to the loot pool. Make some parts craftable. Keep them from junking up the view by creating no parking zones in major cities. Its just not natural to see these vehicles buzzing around...and later doing constant flybys.

* What kind of things would you like to see for flight in the future?
Spacecraft...missiles, bombs...areas that can only be reached with an aircraft or a vehicle.

* And what kind of mechanisms would you like to see in terms of controlling the vehicles? Joysticks? Simple mouse control?

Mouse is good to start...but Joystick support would be nice\

* How realistic would you want planes to be in terms of gliding and landing e.t.c.?

The flight model should be fairly realistic. No actual stalling tho. I think object collision is the most important. If you hit a tree with your wing tip it should affect the vehicle differently than a head on crash.

* And what kind of roles would you like to see aircraft playing in the future?

Maybe mining from the air, aircraft with advertising banners, spacecraft with an addition of a space zone...some dogfights would be neat. I want to shoot down some robots and get unique loot.

Only problem so far with my car is that on first testrun it ended up upside down and I couldn't figure out how to get it upside up ;) again. I hade to exit the car, return to storage and respawn it.

And the spawning of vehicles I don't really like. Give us garages like with animals and stables.

hmm. and then we cant exit the car and pickup for prodect about mob attacking, also respawn it.

bad idea, i like how it is now... I just would like to be able for kill mobs with car gun.

[I
I think there should be more restrictions on where players can park vehicles and bring them out. They seem to be only good for PVP...that seems like a downfall..

I use my car for mining, for hunting too ... so it is not only a pvp toy :)

and nOOOOO is ok how the spawning works...

One of the main ones is the lag when there are several cars together in the same place. This would need to be solved so that if someone is out hunting they do not suddenly experience a lot of lag just because a couple of aeroplanes fly overhead. This could presumably be done best by requiring aeroplanes to fly at a certain height so that they do not need many pixels to be rendered for an observer on the ground.

Thats a good idea right there...I myself am on quite a slow internet connection and I accept I need to wait 30 seconds for everyone to 'turn up' at twins, but It is very annoying when I'm running somewhere and then I begin rubber banding because some vehicles drive past...they seem to take up a lot of memory.

There is no falling damage at the moment so don't give MA ideas! ;)

I hope MA/FPC introduces a third continent for planes,
I think the current ones are almost to small for them.
Also in order for dogfights to work,
they would have to change the semi realtime weapons system
(I am talking about the cooldown phase of the weapons)
they are using now for the handheld and mounted weapons to a realtime weapons system
(shooting without cooldown phase)
and in general I think that should be done for PvP gameplay.

It would be good for pvp gameplay, I'm just wondering how eco it is going to be!

If I can tip my plane on its' nose, then I'm happy. That's the only feature I want, and it should be unique to me.

Ok that made me laugh, +rep :)

Good ideas guys, +reps! *edit* too much in last 24 hours, give me some time guys!

One thing that I hope they DO NOT implement is fall damage. I suspect that would give a more "real" experience in flying vehicles, but it'd be pretty darn annoying if you "fall" off of the steep cliffs at Athena Space Port or somewhere similar, even at PA, and end up at a revival terminal or have to fap just because you fell... If they do implement this sort of stuff, it really makes it look pretty fishy as to why the heck they put so many darn cliffs in after vu 10...

Totally agree-I would hate to see fall damage implemented now.

Everything that was said

Fantastic points Radioactive, +rep

Instead of doing some very special tweak for explicitly vehicles (cars and airplanes), they imho need to improve the rendering generally.

For instance, make avatars/other customizable objects visible at distance (>60m) though with less quality (as was done in vu 9), and improve performance (one way could be to do a quck & dirty rendering of all visible objects, and then as low priority re-render them with high quality). For some of us I guess making it possible to chose either texture streaming or the pre-vu 10.9 rendering mode (in last VU, it went overly silly since nowdays also mobs and terrain lags).

The problem where everything stops when a car passes by is the same for me when an avatar shows up at edge of radar - it doesn't have to be a car. For *me* I must add - my computer is optimized for general use, it's not a "gamer" computer.

Back