Are you Missing The Entropia Guides?

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
Are you Missing The Entropia Guides?
2 July 2007

The Entropia Universe Guide Project, initiated in January 2007, was a six month pilot project, which ended in June 2007. The initial idea of the project was to help newcomers to get started. Six guides were working shift in Port Atlantis to guide newcomers and answer simple questions about finding your way around Calypso. Both the newcomer's reactions and discussions on the forums have shown us that the work of these guides was greatly appreciated. Therefore we have decided to continue with the Entropia Guide service, albeit in a somewhat reduced manner. You will now find the guides at the same spot at peak times, mainly on the weekends.

It is also possible that we will extend this service further in the future as the universe grows.

Originally Posted Here

MA could reduce the workload of the guides by enabling Aim mode as a default.

Everytime I have been within earshot of the guides I hear:

Guide: "Welcome to Calypso XXXXX"
XXXX: "Hi"
Guide: "Would you like some help with the controls?"
XXXX: "Yes"
Guide: "Press O for options and check the Enable Aim mode box"

Why make the first thing the guides tell new players to do be to change the default setting, why not enable it in the first place?

:)

No guides? :cry:

I think the guides have done a great job answering the same questions over and over all day long. To maximize their use maybe we can use them for some of our support issues (as some already do).

XXXX: "NO wheres the free cash stupid!"
Guide: "Take it easy, you have to work for the cash"
XXXX: "Then fuck of *gone*"

Why make the first thing the guides tell new players to do be to change the default setting, why not enable it in the first place?

A very, very good point! (+rep :))

I remember my arrival and the 30 minutes it took before I found out how to change to aim mode.

I spent some time hanging out in PA and watching and chatting with the guides in the past months. I think they are doing a good job to welcoming people to EU and I think this service should continue.

:guide:

Cheers :beerchug:

Guide: "To chat press enter type what you want to say and press enter again"
XXXXX: "Hi"

Maybe a little pop-up window when you start telling you the most basic things would be helpful.

Last edited:
From what i've seen, the guides do a good job. So, keeping them is a good thing.

Keep up the good work, MA guides :)!

Been there for 6 months? I've never seen one.

The guides do a great job getting the newcomers started on their new life in Calypso, glad they will still be around :yay: but slightly sad at the reduced timeslots. Many newcomers arriving midweek will be lost and confused, and may quit EU before giving it a chance as a result :(. If this is to be the policy I'd say it would've been better to make it very clear upon character creation/logging in/registration when support is likely to be available so that newcomers know where/when to go if they need help starting out.

As far as I know the guides already requested to the devs that all newcomes should start in first person mode and have aim-mode enabled, and not third person. ;)

Been there for 6 months? I've never seen one.

I have.. a lot. :D

aah, ya, that i read often there

and wrote myself :p

but actually

i would rather see if players could do that

several points

about mentors and mentor gifts

i tend to believe that most mentors do more than telling ppl how to activate aim mode
alright, they tell it to less ppl and guides tell more, but 90% of the convo over there was like this above

still, the gift they get is usually an alpha ME; say 5 ped

guess they guides get a bit more after say 2 months it takes to graduate than 0.5$

during the times i was there, there were usually several other ppl helping out too
not just the guides
they did that mainly for fun, but still
they spent their time at the same place, giving the same, and sometimes even more detailed advice in matters a MA employeer cant give official info
yes, not 8 hours in one piece in most cases, but still
the option to get ppl helping out there is for sure there
it doesn't have to be a wage of a guide

say
several ppl (and i met for sure at least 20 there who would qualify for that) would get a smaller version of this MA star (item; clothes, can just be seen at PA or Oxford)
now, if they go to the newbie arrival zone, they can take this star on
and a counter runs
for every hour they get something, say 10 ped ^.- (yes, higher than sweating)

lets make it 20 and you might have a nice 24/7 cover of the zone over there

another extremly simple thing
make a tutorial ^^
but i have another idea about that, and if i thought it through i might post it in the wishlist, so, nothing for here ;)

just some thoughts :)

edit, to you know who you are: thats what you meant ^^

I see this as a bad move by MA, there are no real proper ingame tutorials, ok we've got mentors, but some newbies would rather not have a mentor, Like a friend I know... Some participants wander around even at the newbie landing area without a clue... Even with the guides there...

But I must say that 70% of everything good that I have heard about this game in the media has been total fabrication, lol No wonder noobs are leaving in droves...

The guides are great. They appeared 2 days after I joined and wish I had them when I steped off the ship. Would have made life much easier! Gratz to them and their hard work:D

Before guides appeared there were a number of predatory 'scammers' / mentors hanging around in locations where new players spawned. These people attempted to scam new arrivals (armour upgrade anyone) ...since they arrived these people seem to have either moved elsewhere or stopped scamming.

So ...unless MA is going to create a 'safe arrival area' just for noobs I think the guides are critically important to ensure that the new players have a positive first experience in the game.

Its not what the guides said that was so important - more their presence in game!!!!

No doubt the guides are reading this as their hours have been reduced so I'd like to say:

Good work! :thumbup:

I think it benefited EU in general having a MA presence within the game rather than waiting 3+ days for support to reply.

Yes, Give us the guides back!
I absolutly demand it! :)
They provide a great service and are essential to the newcomers.

And i miss Sarah :cry:

predatory mentors
oops

busted!

:D

nice expression
gotta remember that :)

mentor hoppers and predatory mentors :p

Even though it was more than a few months back now, I still have fond memories of arriving in the NAZ and having severe moving problems. Within 1 minute I wanted to customise the common keys, and this despite being unable to click on anything, because all that happened was my head moved.

Over popped Zoe, and sorted me out in 2 or 3 minutes. I'd probably have abandoned EU as unplayable without the guide's help, so I think they perform an essential job, and will be forever grateful.

So thats why they've disappeared. :(

To answer the question... yes, I do miss 'em (especially Zoe). Many good times were to be had at the arrival zone and it was nice to see the guides did have a sense of humor as well. Great people to hang around with, gonna miss going down to the arrival zone and seeing 'em around.

Nice to see they've at least kept them in game rather then dispensing of the guides completely. I just think it was nice for new arrivals to get that sort of personal touch from EU staff, rather than just clicking on NPCs or whatever.

Wonder if they chipped out the skills they got from killing stray mobs in the arrival zone? :laugh:

I think the guides are great, and would like to see them back again.

They won't prevent predatory mentors, but they still help; at least for the newcomers that get put in PA (I was placed in Atlas Haven originally, but that was 2 years ago, so now perhaps all newcomers go to PA?).

I also agree that changing the initial default just makes sense, and will allow the guides to spend more time on more important things.

In-game tutorials do "kinda" exist, but there is no formal way to access them, and they are relatively useless. A simple way to access them would make things much easier, IMHO. Pop the "library" up on arrival, with a quick keyboard/mouse navigation screen open, and let them peruse it at their own pace, rather than poping those relatively useless messages up the first time they activate a new item/event (which is both intrusive and sporadic at best). Call them a nice first draft or prototype, but a full fledged library of tutorials would not be too much to ask for, and the information exists, so it's only the implementation that is lacking.

If the changes above are implemented, PERHAPS the guides could be retired, but as is, many newcomers that would otherwise continue on will end up giving into frustration.

I think the guides are great, and would like to see them back again.

They won't prevent predatory mentors, but they still help; at least for the newcomers that get put in PA (I was placed in Atlas Haven originally, but that was 2 years ago, so now perhaps all newcomers go to PA?).

I also agree that changing the initial default just makes sense, and will allow the guides to spend more time on more important things.

In-game tutorials do "kinda" exist, but there is no formal way to access them, and they are relatively useless. A simple way to access them would make things much easier, IMHO. Pop the "library" up on arrival, with a quick keyboard/mouse navigation screen open, and let them peruse it at their own pace, rather than poping those relatively useless messages up the first time they activate a new item/event (which is both intrusive and sporadic at best). Call them a nice first draft or prototype, but a full fledged library of tutorials would not be too much to ask for, and the information exists, so it's only the implementation that is lacking.

If the changes above are implemented, PERHAPS the guides could be retired, but as is, many newcomers that would otherwise continue on will end up giving into frustration.

Lol i've just realised your names 'Killer Fart'! lol

Jamhot

All players get the choice of PA or CND as a spawn point these days, I believe. Argus and... was it Fury? were set up to help reduce lag at PA during the CND boom. I beat out the multiple spawn locations by a week or two.

It's sad to see the guide duty hours reduced, especially in the face of MA's recent concern over "protection of noobs from scammers". Why it's almost enough to make me think that MA isn't so concerned about noobs being scammed after all... Nah, that's crazy people talk. MA loves all the little noobs!

I spend a good amount of my free in-game time at the PA tarmac, offerring to answer questions. There are other contributors to this thread that do the same. Hopefully between MA's reduced effort and the volunteers, the noobs will continue to get the education they need.

I just thought of something else. That Ad screen in the PA starport would be an excellent place to show training films for noobs. Of course that'd take some effort to set up, but why assault newcomers to calypso with drivel about crappy products on Earth or other stuff? Let them get immersed into the Calypso environment first.

AG

This is a genuine question, as i have seen the guides saying this myself (some time ago obviously) but I never actually tried it and therefore dont know the answer... what is aim mode and how does it help?

(I feel such a noob :ahh:)

Lol i've just realised your names 'Killer Fart'! lol

Jamhot

I've been using that nickname since 1979! (yep, I'm also -- "traF dlO nA") :rolleyes:

My problem when I first begun was how I turned left and right. I pretty fast figured out how to run forward (Q), strife (A and D) and jump (E), but had no idea how to change direction other than to run into a wall and let it bump me.

I'm gonna miss the guides. Spend many hours there mainly just chatting and having fun with the guides and other people. Not to mention TAP! :tongue2:

I tried helping new players too sometimes by taking them to Swamp Camp and showing sweating etc. but like I said mostly I enjoyed the company there. BTW, one of those new players is in our soc now. :)

I wish the guides all the best if I don't happen to meet them anymore! Their hard work was really appreciated.

Its very sad that this is being reduced.
As Arokh I especially gonna miss the nice Zoe.

Anyway I hope that the suggestion of me to move the RDI building into the space port and make it have a tutorial with walking lines on ground to next lesson and so on will be done.
This would help a lot of beginners get familiar with controls.

This is a genuine question, as i have seen the guides saying this myself (some time ago obviously) but I never actually tried it and therefore dont know the answer... what is aim mode and how does it help?

(I feel such a noob :ahh:)

even if you might be kidding me and i strumble into the trap
i have hope that maybe someone who doesnt know might find it too :)

actually
the aim mode found in options menu
enables you to switch to the aim mode by pressing space (you get a crosshair then, at least in first person mode you do) and instead of moving the cursor over your screen with your mouse
you can "look around"
its essentially in first person mode kinda

if you rather click around to move, it won't help much
but the clicking is rather unprecise

but if you would get a big message popping up telling something like this, a lot of work would be done already

atm newbies get the message that where they can choose between:

First person mode
Third person mode (suggested)

or so

so they are kinda pushed into the third person mode, which has aim mode automatically off
no idea if that was changed

if you would get something else explaining the controls instead

w,a,s,d to take steps
q to run
r to autorun
zoom out with your mousewheel

First person mode:
press space to look around by with your mouse

Third person mode:
you can click to move
if you want to be able to look around with your mouse, enable "Aim mode" in options menu (O)

Back