Bad rep for Entropia Universe :(

your forgetting that a lot of people have a restricted bandwidth on their net accounts (1 or 2Gb per month is quite normal in the UK). Some broadband accounts dont even allow internet based games to be used on them, so how would people on those accounts download a 2-4Gb client (or even more with CE2) only to get a 10mb mp3 file?

If you really do have such an internet connection then you will hardly be the target audience for EU anyway and by the choice of your ISP you woant be thinking about playing online games with such a connection...

Yes, it's sad really.

But, I think many people don't stop to think, when they see ads like "Tired of not getting paid for hunting" (or whatever MAs ads say), and many of these (probably mostly teen kids) have completely unrealistic expectations when they try out EU at first.
So, they get very disappointed when they realize, that they are not gonna get rich from hunting in EU. And some of them, feels lied to or scammed by MA.

That being said, it's really low to spread lies like these, especially when EU is actually really cool. (Imo) ;)

I think Vedder post sums up what I think about this.

A lot of people come into EU with the same expectations they get everytime they go buy the latest and greatest subscription based MMO. They try to compare an MMO where you buy the initial software and pay monthly fees and they probably love having someone with multiple accounts which means more monthly fees. IMO its much less challenging to progress in a subscription based MMO because if you max it do everything and don't continually make new goals for yourself its easy to leave your account active waiting for the next expansion.

Many start EU thinking it will be as easy as a subscription based MMO since that is what they can come to expect. Some start EU and throw money at it left and right never taking the time to learn how the market works and how to actually make PED.

I look at it this way EU is free. Its your choice how much you spend and if for some reason you don't have a computer for a couple of months you won't get tagged for a reoccuring fee. New content, even in this CE2 time, is on a fairly consistent basis and free. I am not sure if subscription based services offer an option for you to put your account on hold and not charge you for a couple months while you get a new PC or are out of town. To me that is the biggest scam since you are paying for absolutely zip, zlitch, nada in that time but you are still getting charged. If anything EU will teach you how to manage money better unless you continually throw funds you cannot afford into it. I know when I finally decide to call it quits in EU I will have gotten more out of it than I put in (financially, friends all around the world, exposure to different cultures and ideals, etc, etc)

I do agree that MA has done a disservice for themselves in promoting PE/EU at times. On the flip side of that I understand being enthusiastic about ideas and wanting to share them and then sometimes those ideas do not work out as planned. IMO that makes them just as human as any of us so long as they are learning from their mistakes along the way.

I guess EU as it is now is not everyone's cup of tea. Will CE2 and the planet partners bring that to the table? I wish I had a crystal ball to know that answer. I think the diversity and competition among the partners might be what EU needs it might very well lead to better and less expensive game play but expensive is a relative term depending on where you set your goals.

I like the 1st person perspective in a Sci Fi MMO and I like the Privateer moments I find myself in at times. Its not always about the big win or rare item sometimes its sitting back and realizing I played EU at a fairly high level for over six months and never deposited even if my PED card balanced from good to bad in that time. If I was in a subscription based MMO no matter how I played I would be out ~$50.00 for the base software and $15.00 or more per month, in that that time I would be down ~$140.00 with a maxed out avatar twiddling my thumbs waiting for the next expansion which might be free or it might not.

If you play EU smart and treat it like a monthly MMO ($15-$20 a month) its possible in a 6 month time frame you could sell out at break even or more depending on the markets. It is about playing smart though and realizing skilling might cost more than it returns until you decide to sell those skills.

Ahhh well I have written a long post thanks for reading.

Just remember EU is more about what you make of it and how you view it.

EU Is a super basic game that has no real goals or quests or missions or anything objective based. The only remotely mission based objective based with a prize int he game are the beacon missions. Aside from that, every single goal, mission, quest, and pilgrimage are all completely created by the players themselves. there is no reward system or anything for this crap either in game. Most of us have accepted thinking of trying to break even as a quest yet how can you even call it that? What kind of game is this, the game of life? Trying to make ends meet and pay off what you spend, yeah that sounds like great fun. The argument seems to be that in these other p2p mmorpgs, there is some kind of goal in mind and some kind of reasonable time frame for end game play. However, that does not exist in EU does it? The end game play in this consists of hunting harder stuff and pvp, essentially what you could do at earlier levels but just not as effective.

So I am tempted to ask you a new question, which I should have prolly made a new thread for: What warrants calling this an mmorpg?

So I am tempted to ask you a new question, which I should have prolly made a new thread for: What warrants calling this an mmorpg?

Massive (Playerbase of thousands)
Multi player (you are one of a vast community)
Online (It is)
Role Playing (Your are playing the 'role' of the character you are controlling)
Game (They say it is not, but still it is)

Hope this clears your blurry head a bit =)

In a way, I think MA has burned themselves with EU. With the current state of affairs, anyone who joins is doomed to forever be a 'noob', stats wise.

Myself, I don't recommend EU to anyone, and I feel almost ashamed to tell anyone about it at all - if it slips that I play an online game, I moslty just try to half-dodge it, saying it's no game they heard of.

I totally see why the bad rep is there - and I agree. I just can't quite seem to stop playing :)

The interaction with others is one good factor, the hope of hitting it big is another (arguably). As for gameplay, the only exciting thing in the game is to go team-hunting big mobs. Every other 'gaming' aspect of it is just grinding.

EU sucks. But somehow it still rocks. Wtf!?!?

/My name is Waperboy, and I'm an Eu-holic.

I would be curious as to see one person that says they make money from EU actually making money. How much did it cost to get their ava to the point they could make money. Your not making money until you've made your investment back. I'm sure there are a handfull that actually truely make money but I sure don't have the money to invest to get to that point.

I think most average players, like me, are basically just MA's source of income. i know I won't ever actually profit from playing, hell I've yet to get a HOF, but it's fun and I enjoy it. I deposit to an extent. I just try to think of it as my recreation allowance and try not to go overboard. Hence you'll probably never see me running around in expensive clothes or angel armor. Heh I doubt I'll ever be able to even afford a set of vigi...

I would be curious as to see one person that says they make money from EU actually making money. How much did it cost to get their ava to the point they could make money. Your not making money until you've made your investment back. I'm sure there are a handfull that actually truely make money but I sure don't have the money to invest to get to that point.

Treat the game as such .. entertainment while using some brains. Yeah, I think that's the main difference between PE and others .... actually that difference keeps me in still.

Money you can make, depending of course on level of involvment (that includes using brain ;)) ...ofc, for the average participant I am sure one can't quit the day job and live on hogglo loots -- you can get some gainig $$ satisfaction though.

As for a personal example I did manage to pay the rates on my car for almost 1 year from whithdrew pedz, have a 10 day stay at a decent hotel in Greece for the summer vacation and some PC upgrades over the last 3 years -- all without investing tons of cash or any other extreme measure.

I agree the style of publicity MA chose to indorse is somewhat like a kick in their own bal*s, interrupted story lines and so on, but overall they had a revolutioning ideea some few years back and that alone makes for a lot of not-that-good promoting/advertising atempts.

Well it all depends on what you consider investments and entertainment spending. I look at it this way there are times in EU where I just want to have fun not worry about the costs so much and just have some thrills trying something I would not do normally. This is the cost of entertainment. I would not tally that up as an investment. Now a few years ago I deposited a few big lump sums to strictly invest in some items in EU that I knew I would use and had the potential to go up in value. Sometime ago I sold those items and withdrew the PED making roughly 4X the initial investment. I used the items for long time and made PED back when I decided to restructure my avatar a bit. I make money and lose money in EU but if I am not depositing I am making money since those funds usually earmarked for entertainment in EU now go towards other things like paying my wife's car and CC off.

I think most average players, like me, are basically just MA's source of income. i know I won't ever actually profit from playing, hell I've yet to get a HOF, but it's fun and I enjoy it. I deposit to an extent. I just try to think of it as my recreation allowance and try not to go overboard. Hence you'll probably never see me running around in expensive clothes or angel armor. Heh I doubt I'll ever be able to even afford a set of vigi...

Yes MA needs to make their income but telling yourself you will never profit from playing can be self defeating. Make that your goal but balance it out with what you are willing to spend if that goal cannot be currently met. The avatar building process can be expensive especially if you are not patient. Overall what makes EU great is that you can spend as little or as much as you want. There are no static goals except for those you make yourself. You might think you will never afford a set of vigi but if its worth it to you make a goal out of it. I did that when I went from Vigi to Nemi many years ago. Nothing is quite as statisfying as figuring out ways to make PED to get the things you want. When I completed my Angel set it was well worth all the saving ped, auction browsing, and forum sales post bartering.

During the robot event I killed so many trying to get a secret transmitter and then when PoE was annouced as the gift it was frustrating. I ended up selling some of those "investment items" I used including my hard earned Angel set to buy Dub's PoE set. My goal was PoE and I took advantage of an opportunity to get that set even though I had to liquidate some other items to make it happen. I think back to my first Pixie set and FAP-50 and I did the same things back then to make it happen just on a smaller less risky scale.

Overall making money in EU is not always about gaining enough on the PED card to withdraw. If you are making enough to continue to participate at enjoyable levels and not deposit then that is money in the bank with no fees to get it.

EU is just about on par with my fine art/graphic arts hobby. I really can't do either full time and make a comfortable living but I enjoy both and sometimes I surprise myself and make some extra cash even though it may never equal the entertainment dollars I have spent since I view those as just a cost of having fun.

I see it like this:

You can make money in EU. Sweating is free to do, it will get you stuff you can sell, even for the low price it commands. This means you can make money in EU wihtout spending any. This is a selling point, like it or not. However low the reurn on sweating, however boring the task itself is, it remains that a player can get the game for free, play for free, and turn a small profit.
The only problem comes with misrepresention or misinterpretation of this basic fact. There are those who bore easier, want to see what else is there sooner, and buy ahead. They find that unless they buy very limited high-end eco weapons they are spending money just staying alive, and some complain, forgetting that it was their decision to spend the cash in the first place. If publicity from MA has mislead some into thinking the "income" is more substantial or easy to obtain than it really is, then some fault lies with them too.

All the items we now see in auctions for thousands and thousands of PED are that expensive due to the greediness of the playing public; the TT values of these items were what they once went for.

We do play a role in EU, that of a settler in a new world beset by problems. As in RL our decisions affect our growth for good or bad. Some of the problems in EU are the fault of the game-makers, but most are the result of our alter-ego's actions, and our bruised egos afterwards.

We do need more, and better advertising. Advertising that instead of brandishing EU's potential of cash reward, instead tries to find the market it needs; those who like meticulous gameplay. Those who are tired of linear progression. Those who want to control an avatar free to live as he chooses on a violent alien planet or two. Thats what gripped me, and I've expected nothing more; low loots don't matter if you don't break the bank paying for your hobby. If the Uber-Win does appear, it will just be the icing on a very enjoyable cake for me. That's what is needed in the adverts; highlight what sort of game it is, keep the rewards as a welcome side-effect of long-term play. Then no-one's coming here to do anything but enjoy the place.

I imagine a large number of the nay-sayers are going on hearsay and bad information, having never played the game or not trusting anything that seems to ask for cash. Everything that makes a profit can be seen as bad by someone if you think about it enough. I'm happy enough here, and looking forward to what's coming.

Hurrikane

I dont understand... is it only me who makes money from this game :scratch2:

No. MindArk too! :scratch2:

But seriously. When did they say that the average player makes 20k ped every month? I have never seen that interview so I would like to read it. Both to curse and to laugh.

No. MindArk too! :scratch2:

But seriously. When did they say that the average player makes 20k ped every month? I have never seen that interview so I would like to read it. Both to curse and to laugh.
If i remember right it was sent On TV aug 1 or 8 2007. Then it was in the magazine DI In Expressen the day after.

If i remember right it was sent On TV aug 1 or 8 2007. Then it was in the magazine DI In Expressen the day after.

Well, I am swede so I should be able to read that.

Know if it exists on the net too? :eek:

Here is the link 2 ONE of Wellters BS statements last year.http://di.se/Artiklar/Planeten_ar_p...nID=Ettan&menusection=Startsidan;Huvudnyheter 4 U players who cant understand Swedish use Googles translation. Hopefully the translation wont be 2 screwed up. This is one of the articles that TOTALLY pissed me off during last year. Cause as i said earlier ive been working with sales since mid 70. And during all thoose years i have NEVER ran in 2 a coworker or a competiter who used such TOTALLLY unetical LIES as Wellter did here. Then after me and several other Swedish player wanted an explanation and an excuse from MA 4 this BS. What happend ???:eek: Uggla and that American MA rep. Spread the SAME lies in TV and videosent interwiews from some convent. Right THERE my thrust and confident with MA floated down the sewer:rolleyes:

Last edited:
sorry no clue what went wrong :S Edited my post with the right link.

I made shit loads of money in EU ( I made some really bad decisions at the end or I would have made a lot more) you cant really made money like I did those days are long gone :(

All the money I made so far is with the equipment that I bought along time ago and that I withdraw already.
Main withdrawal was 350,000 peds (selling MM/Shadow set ) just that alone I took out more then I ever deposited in game.

Don't forget the foe ripper sale and money taken out to pay some credit cards. you can add another 100,000 peds to that 350k.

so far we got a total of 450,000 peds (45k usd)

Now I have not counted skills or other things like the mod fap I still own the full set of (f) eon with boots (7 peaces) or the ml35me or various other items like clothing.

I agree with that your saying and its always been like that for the most part where the middle players just feed the machine :(

Hehehe. Yeah. I still remember where you could go out mining and almost always end up with a profit. You could go back to the same spots like the famous binary spot near the sweatfarm south of nymph and see if it had regrown to be plucked again.

GL, HK on that today...

And you could kill mobs and loot items from them too. Besides of minor healing chips and minor teleport chips that is. I am talking about useful stuff that didn't have to come at a 18k ped TT value. Well, some things were still worth a lot in TT but not so much as the non-L-ex-L-items are today.

Blech...

Those were nice times. Now it is katastrof compared to then.

Many Thx 2 Nicole . Did not expect to be rewarded for being neggo against MAs behaviour :) :swoon:

MA's plan is to within 3-4 years have 150 million registrered accounts, with up to 7 million players active at all times :wise:

(this is what they have said themselves several times)

a plan is nothing definative.... as you may or may not know MA have had many plans in their time - not many of those have surfaced. I am sure that they do make intentions to go forward with these plans, but things get in the way i guess.

im sure when the new eu with new graphic and new planets are out, they have around 1-2 billions us dollars from us for promotion (taken from the loot the last 36 months), so it may work to reach 100 million new players.

Yeah, it is pretty bad that EU has a bad rep-what is needed is for MA to really start advertising EU-I barely see things about EU anywhere. Hopefully once cryENGINE hits, there will be a big media splurge to draw new players in-But the groundwork of reputation needs to be here first or the players will just see EU as a flashy slot machine.
Frankenberry-NBK Legion

Didnt read all posts- but yea Entropia do really have a bad reputation around on other forums. Etc. the gameforums to a game called Kwari (its a game like Quake, but im taking it in because it has a real cash economy also).

~Ravil

Summarizing stuff and my opinion

Well, after going through as many posts as my teeny weeny brain could handle. This is the rough picture that I have.

Many people have complained about depositing alot into the game expecting to earn as much as have been advertised by MA, but ended up losing all of what they deposited and felt scammed.

If we go about this logically, I would say that MA have been wrong in their way of advertising the game or rather been blowing things out of proportion? But then again.....had they? That I'm not sure as I have never gotten about to watching one of those adverts. Try thinking about it in their shoes.....they're just employees in a big company trying to earn their monthly dough for survival. So they would probably have to do their part to make the company flourish? How to do that? Bring in more customers to the game. And how to do that? By speaking and highlighting successful cases........cases where people end up walking away rich. Of course no one in the right mind would advertise about those walking away with their pockets empty right? If you catch my drift.

I'm sure many of you have watched tons of advertisements talking about so and so, such and such product being very very good etc....Would anyone talk bad about their products in an advert? The worst case I've come across would be someone trying to sell me one of their products and make it sound like the product can do miracles.....but can they?

I guess MA has gotta tone down on the VERY successful cases, and talk about realistic ones and not to give people the wrong idea that its easy to walk away rich. But other than that. I don't really see much fault in their part.

Now the major problem is with the people depositing ALOT of money into the game thinking they can earn their living on the game. Its just like throwing all your fortune away on the gambling table. Just stop and think for a moment. Is it really that easy to earn money in the real world? No right? Then how easy do you think it is to earn money in a game? Most of the time you would have to filter out the exaggerated stuff in the advertisement and extract out the real deal when buying some stuff in real life. How is it that you don't do that towards this game? Pour in alot of money and then regret it after you've lost it only to blame a game for it? That would be too extreme in my humble opinion. Most of the time we do something, if anything wrong happens.....we have only ourselves to blame. No one else.

Anyway, going back to the mechanics of the game. Its not all that bad. If we filter out trying to strike rich. The game is still reasonable enough to allow us to make some tips......if we go about it in the right way. You just have to think more logically, manage your finances more properly like you would in real life. We have to pay those people in MA their salary to keep this game alive right? But not to the extent that we have to empty our own pockets. So just depo what you feel you can lose and see how your luck goes.

I am an amature in this EU game, but so far, after 2 months plus of playing (not hardcore gamer and only login occasionally), I'm proud to have say that I have managed to gather 100 plus PED when I started with none. So I'm proud of every single PEC I've earned.......they're hard earned money.

The thing is to go about it in a right way. That way you won't go wrong. Earn a little, spend a part of that little you earn into mining, hunting or crafting and see if you get more. If you do, hurray! you got more to spend. If you don't, you still saved up a little so that you don't end up losing everything. I'm sure you do that in real life right? Do you spend away everything you've earned and not save a tiny bit?

Handle the game as you would in real life. And KEEP the game a game. ^^

:yay:
Sawachika Eri

I don't expect to make a million or any profit to be honest (I've always considered what I put into EU a complete write-off), but just enough to make me smile every now and then would be nice. A regular 70-80% return would make a lot of people happier and probably deposit more often than the current 10-25% that a lot of us are stuck with.

The current way MA advertises EU doesn't help, it does give a false impression and we all know why there are 600k spiders, to give the rest of us hope it could be us (even if we'd be better off buying lottery tickets instead of depositing).

I don't expect to make a million or any profit to be honest (I've always considered what I put into EU a complete write-off), but just enough to make me smile every now and then would be nice. A regular 70-80% return would make a lot of people happier and probably deposit more often than the current 10-25% that a lot of us are stuck with.

Oh come on! 25% ocasionaly, well, it happens occasionaly, but no one that i know is stuck on that kind of return consistently. 10%.. never ever happened to me unless i want to fuckup on purpuse.... or doing 10 ped runs mining with bombs for example..
Lately, my runs have been particularly bad, half of them ranging 25-75% and the rest break even or slightly up. Overal perhaps I'm down 20-30% this month which is pretty bad in my standards, but i hope luck will change a bit. My skills keep rising though, so it's not all a loss :D.

When a hardcore gamer has mastered all the other "easy" games, they can test their nerve and try EU
But due to the many jedi mind tricks in EU, like "for real money" , they crumble in dispair, and revert back to the easy games...

They become bitter about that...

When you can succeed at Eu, you have arrived...

When a hardcore gamer has mastered all the other "easy" games, they can test their nerve and try EU
But due to the many jedi mind tricks in EU, like "for real money" , they crumble in dispair, and revert back to the easy games...

:) kinda what i think too. The force is strong in this young :sweat:.

Agreed. I'd +rep ya, but "you must spread more around... blah blah blah..."

Just knowing that a person has the potential to make "for real money" in this game makes it the ultimate challenge. Will you succeed, or will you fail and then bash the game because YOU couldn't hang? :laugh:

Most of us does not try to hunt Atrox Young with Sollomate Aggressios either. Try different mobs with different weapons.

But I agree that loots has been kurwa mac-catastrophe lately.

Normally I used to get 70 % back on a bad run and a few peds plus on a good one. And recently I have had many 50% back runs and I rarely profit in TT. So something has absolutely happened with loot destributions lately.

And if I am not mistaken, there has been more big HoFs too :(

Back