Beware!!!!!!! AMD FX doesn't currently run EU

Mindark promised to fix but its still not working well widthout interfering into game files some commands.

With what I have read on the AMD situation, I think AMD isn't helping too many people atm. Until MA tells us if AMD is indeed helping, I think this problem will be here for some time..

Just noticed this on EF

Switching off core 0, worked like a charm for me, until latest VU.
After that I needed like 30-50 attempt before I was able to log on. Sometimes I had to give up.
BUT: After I changed the client loaders PRIORITY to 'normal' or 'above normal', switching off Core 0 now works again. :yay:
Just thought I'd post it, in case it could help others.

Hope it helps :)

Just a little feedback from my side.

After downloading all the direct X stuff I was able to hit the log in button and it crashed (as promised by you guys). I then disabled core 0 and logged in like nothing ever happened. Once inside the GTX 680 really worked its power. All settings to super high and I could play 2560xforgottenx32 ... I've got a 30 inch Eizo to support the raw power so it was a gaming experience I haven't had.

That said, I am on Arkadia atm and throughout the gaming session I noticed some pauses ... Its like the eight cores where playing ping pong and each time it got to CPU 0 the game stopped for about 2x shots. Didn't have that before but was just wondering.

So all in all, reasonably happy (for now). The work around works and takes less then 10 seconds

Angel

Just a little feedback from my side.

After downloading all the direct X stuff I was able to hit the log in button and it crashed (as promised by you guys). I then disabled core 0 and logged in like nothing ever happened. Once inside the GTX 680 really worked its power. All settings to super high and I could play 2560xforgottenx32 ... I've got a 30 inch Eizo to support the raw power so it was a gaming experience I haven't had.

That said, I am on Arkadia atm and throughout the gaming session I noticed some pauses ... Its like the eight cores where playing ping pong and each time it got to CPU 0 the game stopped for about 2x shots. Didn't have that before but was just wondering.

So all in all, reasonably happy (for now). The work around works and takes less then 10 seconds

Angel

Good to hear. I beleive the problem you described is just that, the cores not knowing whats happening with the next core. The version of X86 that your computer is running is not the version the cpu needs for it to understand what it is supposed to do. This is where the problem originates. AMD made this chip a bit too early and no body wanted to change the current X86 coding. Plus the fact that EU is heavily modified and is using an older version of direct X. These deffinately don't help. ;)

So this is a rather interesting thread to come across...

Got a friend interested in EU over the weekend, and he downloaded it last night.
this morning tried to fire it up. and without having all the details I am guessing this is his issue.
As he has an AMD FX8120, with CrossfireX.

I myself was thinking of upgrading to the 8150, as my current X6000 doesn't like big spawns and I start stuttering hehehehe.

But main reason I am posting though is... has anyone had any Login specific issues ?
Sometimes I have to retype my password upwards of 7 times just to be able to actually get it loading.
Usually, it says connection lost...
Running traces and constant pings the connection to login servers doesn't fail once, but the client seems to think it does...

So this is a rather interesting thread to come across...

Got a friend interested in EU over the weekend, and he downloaded it last night.
this morning tried to fire it up. and without having all the details I am guessing this is his issue.
As he has an AMD FX8120, with CrossfireX.

I myself was thinking of upgrading to the 8150, as my current X6000 doesn't like big spawns and I start stuttering hehehehe.

But main reason I am posting though is... has anyone had any Login specific issues ?
Sometimes I have to retype my password upwards of 7 times just to be able to actually get it loading.
Usually, it says connection lost...
Running traces and constant pings the connection to login servers doesn't fail once, but the client seems to think it does...

I haven't had anything like that no. I know that some people are having connection issues but whether or not it is the same thing, I can't say. The best place to ask this question is on Entropia Forums, as there is MA staff posting on those forums.

Just one quick question, is this wireless or hard wired into the modem/router? If it is wireless, you may be experiencing disruptions due to other signals in the area. I know that one of the default settings will crash with both 5.0 ghz phones and microwaves.. You may have to go into your routers settings and manually change the channel settings.

If it isn't then I would suggest you ask your isp to see if they are blocking certain ip address or regions. It could be simply a mistake.

Hopefully someone can add more. ;)

An update for this thread and other people who are thinking about purchasing the AMD cpu line.

Came accross this doing some research on the new chip design called Piledriver. This was the next chip in line to replace the bulldozer that didn't do what they expected and in the end caused more problems then it was worth.

I was hoping that the new chip would indeed fix the problems of the last chip but after looking around, I am not so sure. It seems that they are just putting this chip out there to stall untill their new design in 2013 will be released.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...piledriver-deliver-where-bulldozer-fell-short

So now Im not sure that they made the right decisions but only time and some who buys it to play EU will tell.

I hope this issue, listed in this thread, will be solved. :yup:

As another addition, he got it working, seems no problem.
I'll ask him which of the solutions I sent him works.

And bear in mind he also uses CrossfireX, I am assuming he has it enabled for EU. Will triple check and edit this post with his feedback.

I seem to be having the same problem and ran across the thread while checking my own. I have a new intel core in both my laptop and my desktop. Both pass the minum requirements but they both crash about 10-30 seconds after opening the auto installer.

any thoughts on how to fix the problem yet?

NEWS MA fixe the AMD CPU

Bug Fixes
Fixed client crash issues when using automatic/max attempts in the Construction UI.
It is no longer possible to auto sell stackables in the construction UI.
Item info on the Spacecraft deeds are now displayed correctly.
The Success Bar in the Construction UI now displays color coded success rates.
Avatar info is now displayed correctly when scanned.
Limited blueprints are now deleted properly when depleted.
Fixed an issue which created two ammo stacks in the loot display, ammo stacks are now merged.
Max Health now displays the decimal again e.g. 100.5 health.(Receiving 100 points of damage will not kill the player)
Fixed an issue causing new AMD CPUs to crash client. :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:
Safe arrival immunity is now triggered when teleporting across servers.
Fixed an issue with textured and colored items not bleaching properly.

I was just able to get in on the first attempt three times in a row without doing any processor affinity stuff.

So it looks like it is fixed for me too!
:wtg:

Is the Bulldozer issue with FX rinally fixed.. If so, then I got two happy people on my hands..

So wait... the FX (Bulldozer) chip set issue is fixed.. permanently.. without having to resort to any of the so called "Fixes" that would be needed (Like turning off "core 0" in order to make the game work kind of fix.. If this is it and there are going to be no more issues with this, then I got two happy people on my hands..

First if of ocure one of my disciples.. He's been waiting 9 months to get back into EU so he can finish his disciple ship after he upgraded his machine to the FXS Bulldozer chipset

The second is my gf.. with her decision now being decided by one factor, I think me and her will have a lotmore playability and whe'll be able to enjoy the game..

Additional note.. And this works in Windows 7 right? Not windows 8.. cause if this is the case, then like I said, you gained back 2 customers MA..

and maybe more..cause if this is true and it doesn't get nerfed.. then maybe someof the nw players we get into game will be able to contribute more and enjoy it fully..

Let's just hope this isn't a passing thing.

Benjamin Ben Coyote
a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper":cool:

Additional note.. And this works in Windows 7 right? Not windows 8.. cause if this is the case, then like I said, you gained back 2 customers MA..

I'm running Windows 7 and it looks fixed so far.

well it's fixed. (We hope) for now)

I'm running Windows 7 and it looks fixed so far.

Well if this is the case, I already contacted both my disciple and my girlfriend and I think my firlfriend will be very indeed.. now let's hope they don't mess it up beyond 12.9.. with the next update in 2 weeks..

So let's hope it holes.. Cause now tonight I can hear her laughing.. and saying that she'll enjoy EU even more.. and at high setitngs as well Well Patience is a good virtue to have.. and I have perhaps the best patience of all..

So score one ofr the crew at MA..

Edited: So this will run with Both Cores (01 and 10 and it'll have no issues correct? (Crosses Fingers)

Benjamin Ben Coyote
a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper"

Yeah!!!! :yay: I am glad to hear that is issue has been resolved. :yup:

Me too. This really wasnt an MA problem. Many games have had issues with the AMD FX processors. A google search can illustrate this.

Glad AMD has been interested in working with various platform providers to remedy these issues.

Me too. This really wasnt an MA problem. Many games have had issues with the AMD FX processors. A google search can illustrate this.

Glad AMD has been interested in working with various platform providers to remedy these issues.
Yes I agree. :yay:

Interesting that this problem still is not fixed after well over 10 months.
The always same exception resolves to a 3DNow! pswapd instruction which is not supported by all AMD FX series CPUs. Shouldnt be too hard to fix that behaviour by correcting the cpuid check, which sometimes seems to work and sometimes doesnt.

Yes it is fixed via Software fix, but not on the hardware! Also maybe only for EU and not for every Game, running on a AMD FX chip. I'm using AMD since ages, but since this issue i have to wait of the hardware fix, before i buy a new AMD system.

My Phenom II 4 core is always fast to play EU. So i have a bit more time to wait for the hardware fix of AMD before i upgrade my system.

Yes it is fixed via Software fix, but not on the hardware! Also maybe only for EU and not for every Game, running on a AMD FX chip. I'm using AMD since ages, but since this issue i have to wait of the hardware fix, before i buy a new AMD system.

My Phenom II 4 core is always fast to play EU. So i have a bit more time to wait for the hardware fix of AMD before i upgrade my system.

Yes this is only a software fix but it is good to see it here now. I doubt there will be a permanent hardware fix as of now there is a new cpu to replace the bulldozer series. Just out of curiosity, has anyone purchased this newer cpu and tried it before the patch?

I have a A10-5800k (piledriver core) since a few weeks and i got the bug too.
Fixed since the patch.

Fixed since the patch.

K that is what I feared would happen. I read on some other sites that they just did this cpu as something to tie them over for awhile until they come out with the new cpu that doesn't work on this design. I was hopeing that they where going to rectify this problem with this new cpu.

Seems they may be harder hit then what was published. :scratch2:

An update for this thread and other people who are thinking about purchasing the AMD cpu line.

Came accross this doing some research on the new chip design called Piledriver. This was the next chip in line to replace the bulldozer that didn't do what they expected and in the end caused more problems then it was worth.

I was hoping that the new chip would indeed fix the problems of the last chip but after looking around, I am not so sure. It seems that they are just putting this chip out there to stall untill their new design in 2013 will be released.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...piledriver-deliver-where-bulldozer-fell-short

So now Im not sure that they made the right decisions but only time and some who buys it to play EU will tell.

I hope this issue, listed in this thread, will be solved. :yup:

Interesting that this problem still is not fixed after well over 10 months.
The always same exception resolves to a 3DNow! pswapd instruction which is not supported by all AMD FX series CPUs. Shouldnt be too hard to fix that behaviour by correcting the cpuid check, which sometimes seems to work and sometimes doesnt.

Do i understand the problem correct?
The new CPUs report that they have 3DNow! and when the software tries to make use of it it crash because the CPU does not have it?
And the software fix is to not use 3DNow when a certain CPU is used?

Do i understand the problem correct?
The new CPUs report that they have 3DNow! and when the software tries to make use of it it crash because the CPU does not have it?
And the software fix is to not use 3DNow when a certain CPU is used?

No this is due to the acutal design of the chip itself. It does have a newer instruction set that isn't being used atm but it isn't 3D now. (rather the newer instruction set isn't 3D now but a different one, whether the chip uses 3Dnow or not I will have to check) ;)

The real problem is that this chip requires the use of newer X86 codes. The software companies, like Microsoft don't want to use it as they really don't need to. The current X86 codes now are working very well, and would take them some extra time to develop newer ones. With this time comes an extra expense, with no real payback. No real payback meens no need to do it. ;)

Fixed since the patch.

Ouch. And I though Piledriver might be fixed in this regard compared to bulldozer. I wonder if I will ever buy another amd cpu if this keeps going on :(

Yes , AMD really messed this time. I am best example - after 16 years of using AMD CPU's only my latest rig is Intel :/. Even i had to pay more i had to if i wanted play in peace.

Yes , AMD really messed this time. I am best example - after 16 years of using AMD CPU's only my latest rig is Intel :/. Even i had to pay more i had to if i wanted play in peace.

thats why my last computers been Intel aswell, abit more expensive but works :)

Actually, it's not the processor design itself that is causing the problem.

No this is due to the acutal design of the chip itself. It does have a newer instruction set that isn't being used atm but it isn't 3D now. (rather the newer instruction set isn't 3D now but a different one, whether the chip uses 3Dnow or not I will have to check) ;)

The real problem is that this chip requires the use of newer X86 codes. The software companies, like Microsoft don't want to use it as they really don't need to. The current X86 codes now are working very well, and would take them some extra time to develop newer ones. With this time comes an extra expense, with no real payback. No real payback meens no need to do it. ;)

When a scheduler is designed to be inflexible to only recognize certain hardware abstraction layer elements, it will crash regardless when it finds something it cannot identify. It's not a Crytek problem, I can run those games on the AMD Bulldozer and above CPUs.

A schedule, in the case of a game, is a program that doles out control over a processor and it's resources to the game itself, everything from sound, video rendering, user input, etc., that all is controlled by the scheduler, of course this is an easy way to explain it but I don't want to get too technical for folks that would drown in scheduler operations.

It is the way in which MindArk chose to construct their scheduler, which is the heart of the problem. As many of you have found out, it's related to how many cores EU can see when it is launched that causes the problem. I know on some AMD FX 6xxx and 8xxx series you can set to go "turbo" when you do that certain cores get shutdown, that sometimes allows you to run Entropia.exe without incident assuming you have those 2 patches that were mentioned earlier from Microsoft correctly installed.

Another thing to look at as a work around is setting the processor affinity permanently, yes, that can be done.

If you need to know how to do this, I could write a batch file or leave the text in here for someone to copy in notepad and save it as a ".bat" file.

What you will need, administrative control of the computer you are on, in other words, allowed to go to elevated command prompt.

The command line from the DOS prompt:

start

To find out what is available to you to write your batch file, type the following without the quotes "start /?" and hit enter. It will give you your options to work with, most notably the switch called, "affinity" is what you are after.

Now, how do you run Entropia.exe directly, you need to specify the options EU needs to start with. The easiest way to find that out is to set Entropia.exe to run as Administrator, and when the UAC box comes up, click for more information, the details will tell you what your command line arguments are currently. You need to specify this when doing your "start /affinity" stuff so that when Entropia starts, it will run on a said processor and then start with the options that the client loader would normally send to it.

I would also suggest that you set a switch "/high" to get more processor time for EU, since it's such a hog in that respect.

Got questions, just ask.

Back