Duct tape and desperation:)

macca

Old
Andrew macca Macdonald
Hello all, hehe
I have been out of the game because of computer self destruction. I know a lot of you whinge about it, but I missed it:(
So I got the old computer out with dual pentium chips, gaffer taped graphics card and a dismantled desk fan stuck in the open case... and played again in safe mode.
Yeah sure, the graphics look like wolfenstein 3D or doom II but hey:)
Yes.. I don't want MA to grow....I want it to explode:)

p.s. a new computer is coming, but you cant expect overnight delivery when paying peanuts.

Please tell me if I'm on the right track? or not

i7 960 chip
12 gb RAM
nvidia GTX 460 graphics
650w PSU
Windows 7

good luck all:)

sounds like niced stats for the new computer

Decent stats except ya went with Nshiddya over ATI and you may find that power supply to be a tad wanting during high video load times.

What ya gonna do to keep that beastie cooled? I run an i7 920 with an ati 5770 and it got hot enough and noisy enough I eneded up buildin a complete water cooled system for it?

umm... thanks Trina, I have been on the internet since before the word internet was invented.....but haven't kept up with the latest....so I don't know, any suggestions would be great:)

screenshot or it didn't happen! hee hee hee!

Hello all, hehe
I have been out of the game because of computer self destruction. I know a lot of you whinge about it, but I missed it:(
So I got the old computer out with dual pentium chips, gaffer taped graphics card and a dismantled desk fan stuck in the open case... and played again in safe mode.
Yeah sure, the graphics look like wolfenstein 3D or doom II but hey:)
Yes.. I don't want MA to grow....I want it to explode:)

p.s. a new computer is coming, but you cant expect overnight delivery when paying peanuts.

i7 960 chip
12 gb RAM
nvidia GTX 460 graphics
650w PSU
Windows 7

good luck all:)

i play on i5
4 gb RAM
Radfeon 4975
650 PSU
and XP

i have 38fps on highest setups and only fall under 20 in the most crowded locations, so you should be darn fine!

Duct tape sux! Power Glue works way better on hot processors :D

You really don't need 12 gb of ram..

4 gb are enuf ;) But if you want to feel liek a god buy 8

I'd up the psu to 750/800 always worth having too much power vs not enough:) An 12 gig ram na go 6 of the best u can use in your setup.

Asus P6T Deluxe MB
6 gig corsair 1866
17 950 @ 4x 3.08 water cooled
GTX 295 (best dx 10 card imo)
800 watt psu

Nuthin' keeps a determined Ant out of EU ;)

hi,
like others posted before, the psu is too much. same goes for the ram, better invest in some ssd for ur win and an decent cpu cooler.

Yep, this looks like a setup that practically guarantees you great loot!

:silly:

i7 960 chip
12 gb RAM
nvidia GTX 460 graphics
650w PSU
Windows 7

ROTFL, way overspecced for EU
a core2duo would be good enough, and so would 6gb ram be.
make sure you use ram in sets of 3 - the i7 has tripple channel memory. 4 or 8 gb is not what you want for your new intels :)
make sure you get a 64-bit windows 7

the psu is ok. psu's usually are most efficient at 50% load so dont use a 300 watt psu in a high end system. It will be enough, most likely, but it will be inefficient.

long story short: you could save a few pennies for your next deposit :lolup:

Someone pointed out an important thing. Save money for RAMs (as i told before) and buy an SDS disk ;)
Atleast for system..

thanks for the tips, it is good to find out what works before shelling out too many Peds for a new computer :eyecrazy:

A question for those people giving the advice, I'd like to know, can you run the game on full resolution and is it different enough from medium graphics to make the game a better experience?

thanks for the tips, it is good to find out what works before shelling out too many Peds for a new computer :eyecrazy:

A question for those people giving the advice, I'd like to know, can you run the game on full resolution and is it different enough from medium graphics to make the game a better experience?

I have a system that, I guess, is getting old now though it was pretty top of the range about 15 months ago. I expect that there are better units out there now. With:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9100 @ 2.26GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

I run this on a laptop but onto a wide Dell monitor at 2048x1152. Play at top Entropia settings for all gfx.

For me, the graphics difference is absolutely (x3) well worth the initial investment. But that's just a personal preference - you may want to go for something cheaper if your gameplay isn't as visual as mine.

Pallas

i have recntly got a new pc and i am runing 8gb of`s ram and 1gb ati graphics card and get the highest settings possible. Def go with ati not nvidia much better performace and graphics

mants

You shouldn't need a bigger PSU. I don't know the power draw of a 460 offhand, but if anything that psu is too big. Not that im saying go smaller, its ok if you want some extra room.

Bigger is not always better with PSUs. I usually try to size my PSUs so the computer maxes out at about 80% load. PSUs have bad efficiency when they are lightly loaded, they also have bad efficiency when they are heavily loaded as well as shorter life when heavily loaded. But the 50-80% range or so is the range you want to target. Lightly or heavily loading a PSU means your power bill is higher then it needs to be. Heavily loading a PSU means it will burn out faster as well as stability problems. So, more is always better then less; but it will cost you extra each month if you go too large.

Ram...12G is way overkill, but as long as you can afford it it wont do any harm to have extra. Unless of course you are buying lower performance ram in large quantities instead of a smaller amount that runs much quicker. Tho usually this isnt a concern. It takes large increases in ram specs to make small gains in performance overall.

As far as the 460 goes, you could easily run everything on very high and have no problems. However, i believe there are better deals out there atm then the 460. You could get more power/$ if you want. Of course prices can vary wildly country to country. (check hardware review sites as this changes all the time) I usually target the $200-250 for graphics cards and upgrade every 3rd or 4th generation. Im a couple generations behind atm as my 4850 still runs everything i throw at it(including EU on very high settings). So im not 100% up on current generation and last generation prices. Unless you are dead set on nvidia, take a look at ati, as far as i know they still own the performance/$ rankings.

The cpu is overkill, but more never hurts. Id recommend something else but this would throw off your entire build... You could easily cut back here and spend the money elsewhere tho. You are spending twice the money on your CPU as your GPU tho. If you are a gamer, thats a bad choice. You should be spending 1.5-2x as much on the GPU as the CPU. However, if you do other things that rely more on cpu then it might not be a bad choice.

Back