Is Sarah using to many paint cans?

Society
Universal Brotherhood
Sarah Zap Charlton
Background
I just received a PM from someone who told me that there was a rumor in Twin Peaks saying that I required more paint cans than we actually need in the coloring process. I'd just like to clarify, and tell everyone how the coloring system actually works.

150 cans per field
There are a numerous of people out there who are using 150 cans per field. This does however often result as a failure, which is hard to see on brighter colors, but it's very easy to spot on darker ones.

Here's 6 random results with 150 cans: 82.7%, 91.5%, 95.5%, 58.1%, 87.9%, 48.2%.

Sure, the first three result turned out very well. But, would you like to spend 150 cans of Burgundy, Navy, Dark Blue, or even Black, just to see it turn out as a failure?

200 cans per field
Here's 6 random results with 200 cans: 98.8%, 93.1%, 98.6%, 90.7% 99.8%, 91.2%.

This means that in order to have a 100% perfectly colored result, we would actually be required to use up to 300 - 400 paint cans. There's however not much visual difference between 95% and 100%, so there's no actual reason to do so. I realize that it is also possible to fail with 200 cans per field, and I have done so before. The risk of failure is however a lot lower with 200 cans, which means that there's a higher chance of a good result.

CoS1_648798.jpg

Conclusion
I'd also like to say that the 200 cans per field I use is a recommendation, and I'm able to use less if the customer decides to do so. I would however never recommend less than 150 cans. I always, always use the amount of paint given by the customer, or bought from me. I never use less, not ever.

I'm going out of town for a few days, until Sunday. I just had to post this before however, as I don't want people to believe something which isn't true.

Yet another link:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/crafting/96981-actual-cos-coloring-texturizing.html

Wow, thanks Sarah, you've made some nice posts about these things.
Really nice reading and you represent it well, rep for that \o/

What is it that people are so concerned about their reputation?
Ofcourse I can understand that when you are trying to run a business and people start to spread false gossip about you you need to react to protect business.
But are people really buying every gossip they hear? Or are more like me and assume anyone is innocent until proven guilty?

Hmm.. thinking about it..
Yes most people ARE stupid gossip dwelling morons..

So good move Sarah to protect your good standing!
To help you a little I give you a +rep :D

Now can you colour my stuff for free? ;)

What is it that people are so concerned about their reputation?

Well people with a good rep - often fight a ever continuing battle to show that they REALLY are good guys. I know how it feels to be accused of something not true... The injustice feeling...

Thumbs up Sarah - and good post :) Thx

I also think it's important to inform everyone about how it works. Some people even approach me with 40-50 cans or less, thinking that it'll turn out wonderfully. While in reality, that would most likely make it less than 40-30% of the best result.

I hope this'll help to inform about how it all works. It's easy to test for yourself if you have maxed one of the basic textures, you may then see which % you get with the different amounts. 150 will turn out good from time to time, but there's a very high chance that one of the fields come out a bit weaker. This is the main reason why I think it's better to use 200 cans, or at least 185. Especially for darker colors.

I gota admit, that I also feel really bad if I do color and it comes out failed. This has happened a few times, and I do recolor it with my own paint from time to time, if I'm able to, just because I usually don't like to return something which didn't turn out the way it was supposed to.

We'll see about that discount. Time to catch a flight. ;)

I generally believe you use to much paint.. thers no paint left after you started eating the paint ;) hehe

I can see your frustration but not anybody does, generally, more is better.. hehe :)

I thnk it's sad that even after all the work you put in to describing the new colour/texture system, some people still don't get it. True, the new system sucks but that's MA's fault :p

My clothes are always coloured beautifully and I'd much rather get a good result than the possibility of a failure.

It's a pity MA hasn't taken steps to explain the new system to people who don't use EF and the like, adding a few simple ads to their rotation must be pretty easy.

Ive used Sarahs coloring service a number of times and simply put, she is, imho, the best high-end colorer in the business. There are a couple who are more skilled I believe but none who can come close to her business ethic and just plain niceness! (Except for Leeloo!!!!!:D As soon as she can do black your in trouble Sarah! LOL!)
I recently had a pair of Storm Kolor jeans and a Rancher hat colored in Burgundy from her, I gave her approx 500 cans to do the job which I had scrounged and saved for a couple months. What I got back was simply amazing!!!! And yes she used all the cans, that's why I gave them to her!
So Sarah, great job, keep up the good work, and don't let the haters and trolls get you down, your customers know the deal and the repeat business is proof!

I'll be seein ya again soon for my next project!!!!

Blackjack :Cowboy:

Edit: I humbly stand corrected, at level 89 colorer (OMG!!!) Sarah is by far the uncontested highest skilled colorer in the business. Terribly sorry for the mistake Sarah, please don't kill me with your paint gun!!!!

Blackjack :cowboy:

Last edited:
MA have, in my experience, never over-explained anything. Unfortunately throughout Entropia's development the only ppl you can rely on are those who share their experience, the community.

Nice ppl like Sarah here :) +rep 4 u :)

Sarah did a fantastic coloring job for me!

:painter:

MA have, in my experience, never over-explained anything. Unfortunately throughout Entropia's development the only ppl you can rely on are those who share their experience, the community.

Nice ppl like Sarah here :) +rep 4 u :)
Maybe that's intentional, let the people discover things by themselves and share the knowledge, just like, real life ;)
Unless god (or equivalent) told you how to do stuff when you were kid, rather than your parents ;)

Sarah great colorer and wounderful person no mean rumors!

I myself often color with less cans but I always tell people its their choise how many cans to put in and the chance of success. Of course I am usualy useing way less valued colors than Master Colorer Sarah!

Huggles

Kitten

Well I colored myself three pieces of clothing yesterday, using simple blue paint. Due to some dexterity from hunt and other bits of skills, that color is pretty much maxed.

I used 100 cans/field. Made very nice blouse and kolor jeans. But at the boots, lo' and behold, blue grey :nutkick: (I actually like the color ^^).

So if I'd have stopped after first two clothes, I'd have thought that 100 cans is enuf. Well, is not.

I dealt with Sarah 2-3 times and was fair-play each time.

I know, history, past, storage boxes, but let's take a deep breath and arive in present times, shall we?;)

hmm interesting so you could in theory make me a coat using say 3 fields using the same colour but use less in some fields to make them appear lighter?

From what I see on random ppl, I think chances are to appear as worn clothing rather than brighter clothes.

thats a fantastic way of explaining it, I never knew coloring worked this way, :)

hmm interesting so you could in theory make me a coat using say 3 fields using the same colour but use less in some fields to make them appear lighter?

:)

There is a slider for each field to lower the intensitiy of the colors.
It is generally a good idea to ask your colorer of trust for a worn out colorator to play a bit around with the colors yourself if you want some fields colored with a lower intensity!

How do you know the % of coloring success with cans ?

Seconded!

Nice work, sarah! +rep

How do you know the % of coloring success with cans ?

Actualy coloring and textureing seem to be almost exactly the same even on the success chances and with texture you can see the exact final % result and you can probibly infer back to coloring for colors you have maxed.

:)

Kygon, yes that would be possible to try - but to be sure it is much better to use same amount of cans but lower the saturation of the fields that should appear lighter :painter:

Actualy coloring and textureing seem to be almost exactly the same even on the success chances and with texture you can see the exact final % result and you can probibly infer back to coloring for colors you have maxed.

A lot of assumption...

For me it seems that i have less success with texture then with coloring...
Anyway , sarah did not speak about texture , but about cans ... so i whant to know where the data come from ...
I dont agrea her on the result.And even if , i think 150 may sound low , its very enought for 1 or 2 field clothe ...
And even on 3 field , if there many clothe to color , with not very expensive color , it become cheaper to use 150 than 200 because the success is not that bad...
Or i am very very very lucky when i color , wich i dont belive...

Also , 6 random result mean jack shit in EU... and sarah should know that ... wich hunter will tell me how good are the loot after 6 kill ?
Make stat on 6k click ... that would sound a bit more "belivable" to me ...

This means that in order to have a 100% perfectly colored result, we would actually be required to use up to 300 - 400 paint cans. There's however not much visual difference between 95% and 100%, so there's no actual reason to do so. I realize that it is also possible to fail with 200 cans per field, and I have done so before. The risk of failure is however a lot lower with 200 cans, which means that there's a higher chance of a good result.

CoS1_648798.jpg

Conclusion
I'd also like to say that the 200 cans per field I use is a recommendation, and I'm able to use less if the customer decides to do so. I would however never recommend less than 150 cans. I always, always use the amount of paint given by the customer, or bought from me. I never use less, not ever.

I'm going out of town for a few days, until Sunday. I just had to post this before however, as I don't want people to believe something which isn't true.

Got nothing to add to this, well put.

But one question:
Do you get more skills from using more paint? Or is the amount of paint not contributing to your skills at all?:confused:

I can't seem to figure that out still.

A lot of assumption...

Anyway , sarah did not speak about texture , but about cans ... so i whant to know where the data come from ...
I dont agrea her on the result.And even if , i think 150 may sound low , its very enought for 1 or 2 field clothe ...
And even on 3 field , if there many clothe to color , with not very expensive color , it become cheaper to use 150 than 200 because the success is not that bad...

Also , 6 random result mean jack shit in EU... and sarah should know that ... wich hunter will tell me how good are the loot after 6 kill ?

I agree with you, as of right now there is not really a way to know the exact success rate of coloring other than just looking at it. Using the texture comparison is probably the best way to come to the % conclusions, and from my experiences so far the data that Sarah provided seems pretty accurate. yes 6 tries isn't enough for a proper test, but the result seems pretty clear. If you use 150 cans there is a greater risk to fail than if you use 200. Especially if it is a multi-field piece, because if just 1 field fails then it might as well be that all the fields failed. I think all the colorers out there agree that 200 cans is a safe amount to use for coloring multi-field pieces especially for high end color where one field failure can be very costly. I never recommend anything lower than 150 and for costly colors like the blues I always recommend using at least 200 cans for all fields, it may be a bit more but I just consider it insurance.

But if anyone wants to make Coloring like every other profession in EU and gamble then by all means use less cans. Sarah is just providing a recommended coloring system based on those experiences, and based on mine I agree with it.

Emery

Thx for the explanation, I've wondered about this myself, altho I dont believe you would use more cans than required.

Ive used Sarahs coloring service a number of times and simply put, she is, imho, the best high-end colorer in the business. There are a couple who are more skilled I believe but none who can come close to her business ethic and just plain niceness!

:eek: show me someone who has more coloring skills than Sarah.

Lol some1 didnt trust Sarah?!!! this is silly i trusted sarah and ill trust sarah for ever!

And thanks for coloring my clothes!!!

+rep:cool:

sarah did a wonderful coloring job for me once.. i would have done 300 cans per field had i known this back then.

I heard this rumor long ago, before the new coloring system. And as we know, rumors and myths in this game never dies. :)

I heard this rumor long ago, before the new coloring system. And as we know, rumors and myths in this game never dies. :)

True , but you forget to say that some rumors and myth for "noob" are facts for those who was there and saw them :D

A lot of assumption...

I can understand your point Etopia and would totally agree with it, if i dint knew Sarah. If she belives that the accurassity of 6 random results is good, well then I belive her to be correct. As the professional colorer she is, i dont think she would just state some facts without knowing her reputation is on the line and therefore be sure to back it up with the proper knowledge.

Cheers
Thor

Interesting data there, Sarah.

On the topic of color saturation and darker colors, did your support case get answered regarding burgundy and the work pattern shirt?

Thanks!

AG

Ive used Sarahs coloring service a number of times and simply put, she is, imho, the best high-end colorer in the business. There are a couple who are more skilled I believe but none who can come close to her business ethic and just plain niceness!

:eek: show me someone who has more coloring skills than Sarah.

Yeah when I read that I was :confused:. :eek:

Back