Morally offensive material (with poll)

Which do you think is the most morally objectionable:

• Total voters
All these things that has been removed/forced to rename (boobgirl) etc is just insane.... it's a 18+ years game and stuff like this is "bothering" people or mindark...

I can not see the problem with a huge penis hanging from boorum, it's called humour...

give us a break, soon we will be back at squares and circles instead of 3d. "Oh my god, that girl is named Skin!"

"Oh my god, that guy is running around in his underpants! How naughty! Ban."

RL is way more offending than anything in a game could be thought up.

You're probably right about that ... but for some reason, we seem at times to minimize the fact that we are a globally-diverse community, coming from many cultures that have distinct personal and religious beliefs, and that's basically the point of view we offer when sharing our opinions. In doing so, we also tend at times to forget that one-size doesn't fit all. Meaning, just because we believe in something, or have a specific viewpoint, it doesn't mean that it can't have a negative effect on others in our community.

Also ... as we have seen far too many times, common decency isn't always the flavor of the day. Some say it's just a game, pixels on a monitor ... and whether some wish to accept it or not, human behavior (good and bad) does follow the person creating an avatar into the virtual universe. We can't be that naive to believe it's a sterile environment where social interaction has no effect on anyone. We've seen time and time again where the good deeds of many in the community have helped to foster a unity, but have also seen where some have taken it upon themselves to be destructive toward others, either in avatar, society, or team names, or full-on interference in game-play.

Thing is ... what may be common and acceptable to one (or even a whole culture) may sometimes be an offense toward another. I'm not easily shocked or offended, but rather surprised at times of the mentality of some with a seeming need to behave in certain ways. I know one thing for sure ... that there's some kind of pay-off in the process, and could very well not be at a conscious level. Whether it's to make themselves feel good at the expense of others, or a pure joy to go for shock value, it's something. Even Marco said (paraphrasing here) that he likes drama, and stirring the pot so to speak, but some actions just leave me shaking my head.

The only two things which I find morally offensive are scamming and EULA paragraph which says I own nothing in EU.

Sexual-related stuff is offending only for morons. I wonder if somebody else pisses for them or they can actually endure seeing/touching their own intimate parts.

I want a place where people can enter on free will and express their thoughts and feelings as they please.

Without morons who wish to impose their hypocrisy to anyone in breathing range.

The offended ones should just quit the game and let us the sinners enjoy the quirky game we've always played.

Names are always a pet peave of mine. be original when naming yourself. Why name yourself "Dogshit"? Or "Boobgirl"?

Because so one might want to. Who cares if you consider it smart or not? It's your business. Same as his/her name is his/her business.

Why be original? Who are you to establish criterias?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac
In a sense ... I guess you could say that EU imitates RL. It was said a long time ago (by the developers) that the goal (I believe) was to parallel RL ... perhaps they're well on their way to achieving that goal. :D I have to agree with one thing though ... if the game is that offensive to anyone, they should just stop playing. It certainly wouldn't be the reason I would finally pick up my luggage and leave ... but that's another discussion altogether. :laugh:

Thing is ... what may be common and acceptable to one (or even a whole culture) may sometimes be an offense toward another. I'm not easily shocked or offended, but rather surprised at times of the mentality of some with a seeming need to behave in certain ways. I know one thing for sure ... that there's some kind of pay-off in the process, and could very well not be at a conscious level. Whether it's to make themselves feel good at the expense of others, or a pure joy to go for shock value, it's something. Even Marco said (paraphrasing here) that he likes drama, and stirring the pot so to speak, but some actions just leave me shaking my head.

I am really more shocked by the double morality some have. On the one hand they drool because they see some virtual boobs and on the other they act like they are shocked. That's like going to church on Sundays and beat up your woman on Mondays.
"Killing" a virtual Android, which at least defends itself virtually, is for me way less offending then "killing" a helpless Chirpie, and still, I "kill" them both ( but I don't go to church on any day and only hit woman that attack me)

we are a globally-diverse community, coming from many cultures that have distinct personal and religious beliefs, and that's basically the point of view we offer when sharing our opinions.
We are all different, yet we choose to be the same.

EU is Kapitalism with a big phat K. Only one culture and disbelief supports that to its full extent. It's a virtual enviroment, with music, uncensored speech, sci-fi influences and other mumbo jumbo. Those alone are already (severe) violations in many other cultures and beliefs so the ones present can already be severly narrowed. And even the last ones present subject themselves willingly to a platform where Greed, Envy, Pride and Vanity reign. So why care for those remaining last beacons who actually are the lesser damaging ones? Because they are the most visual? L :D L

Some say it's just a game, pixels on a monitor ... and whether some wish to accept it or not, human behavior (good and bad) does follow the person creating an avatar into the virtual universe. We can't be that naive to believe it's a sterile environment where social interaction has no effect on anyone.
Human behaviour does affect certain parameters when entering the Universe, but that behaviour ingame can be controlled to a bigger extent. Because you choose to be the person ingame that you want to be. You can always start over. You do as you like. That A*hole ingame might be a jolly social person.

And no, I do not believe social interaction ingame has much influence to someone who realises he's logging in. It only does to the extent he allows it to.

I am really more shocked by the double morality some have. On the one hand they drool because they see some virtual boobs and on the other they act like they are shocked. That's like going to church on Sundays and beat up your woman on Mondays.

"Killing" a virtual Android, which at least defends itself virtually, is for me way less offending then "killing" a helpless Chirpie, and still, I "kill" them both ( but I don't go to church on any day and only hit woman that attack me)

I totally get where you're coming from ... and have to agree with the moral standards, like those that go to church on Sunday like saints, and then act like total asses the rest of the week breaking whatever rules or laws their religion dictates, but ... that's one topic not up for discussion since it will violate a forum rule, so we'll leave it at that.

Morality is personal ... and I totally respect that, but again ... using text content in missions that talk about bumping off your mother and father just crosses the line for me. How can anyone say that visualizing killing your mother and father is humor. :scratch2:

Morality is personal, but it is also the generally accepted consensus of the mass, judging by the votes, EU is morally acceptable.

I, for one, would like to see some parental features implemented . Such as passwords on parental filters would be.

There is already a parental control in the bottom right of the login screen.

IMO Responsible parents either educate their children about issues they may encounter within game, OR NOT ALLOW THEM TO PLAY IT.

Morality is personal ... and I totally respect that, but again ... using text content in missions that talk about bumping off your mother and father just crosses the line for me. How can anyone say that visualizing killing your mother and father is humor. :scratch2:

In the context of the story how we got on Calpyso, that text suits perfectly.
Dumped on a ship, because they wanted to get rid of me, left with nothing than standard issued jumpers and had to fight my way all on my own.
hell ya, with that background those Argos surely look like my parents :D

Acutally quite funny, that some log in to a "virtual universe" to immerse them selves into an un-real enviroment in order to flee from real life problems, but fail miserably :D
Or maybe they have problems to distinguish between both ?
Maybe one of the reasons why I never liked roleplaying and allways play myself :D

omg...so this is what the game looks like when playing with high resolution! :eek:

I guess the term "safe mode" has a whole new meaning to me now! :laugh:

Every time you read these names this dark period will come back into your mind, and that is much better than trying to wipe it out of our minds.

Wow, I've always felt strongly against names like that...

but I have to gratz you on the most well articulated argument to the contrary that I've heard

now for the argument against these names, and distinguishing my perspective on what constitutes "Ok offensive" VS "not ok offensive"

The problem is that the name Hitler is that very much still a symbol for the contemporary neo-nazi movement, which is quite prevalent in certain areas...same goes for having a team name with KKK in it...

one can't help but think that those who chose such names are more than just roleplaying, but actually wish harm to other gamers.

You just can't say the same thing about a name like Boobgirl... even if you think it's a juvenile name and you might not like the person who chose that name, It's not targeting anyone in particular.

While i don't think the name should be forgotten in history books, hate speech has no place in a game where people go to escape day to day problems.

funny thread... i think its sad that things like that get cencored ... just like the mass media cencoring what we get to see and know about ...

LET me Fukn decide what i want to see and know about ... i am perfectly cabable of censoring things myself. .if i dont want to see it then i dont look..

this is a game for adults ... and i think its rediculous that the boorum got banned..

here in canada grade 4 students get taught sex ed they see lots of cock and balls their ... now maybe their alittle more conservative over their in sweden... if they are i feal sorry for those kids... groing up to be robots for the man...

i remember when i first started playing this game .. my mentor gave me shit for swearing in public chat... i told him ...this is an adults game not some kiddie game with fake money.. if im going to be locked or banned for swearing then fukn go at it .. i dont want to be somewhere i cant express my opinions and views in the language i want to express them in.

but such is life. a world full of people telling each other what they can and cannot do on "morale Grounds"....

go suck a fart i say!

funny thread...

go suck a fart i say!

LOL at the idea that Swedes might be conservative about sex. The most puritanical nations I have been to are the religious ones.

Hurrikane

In the context of the story how we got on Calpyso, that text suits perfectly.
Dumped on a ship, because they wanted to get rid of me, left with nothing than standard issued jumpers and had to fight my way all on my own.
hell ya, with that background those Argos surely look like my parents :D

Acutally quite funny, that some log in to a "virtual universe" to immerse them selves into an un-real enviroment in order to flee from real life problems, but fail miserably :D
Or maybe they have problems to distinguish between both ?
Maybe one of the reasons why I never liked roleplaying and allways play myself :D

You're a nutbar :laugh: ... ya, I guess if I had been dumped on Calypso and abandoned I wouldn't be too happy about it either. :D

You're a nutbar :laugh: ... ya, I guess if I had been dumped on Calypso and abandoned I wouldn't be too happy about it either. :D

Maybe you "elderly" people forgot how it was when you landed here, I don't remember the whole story either, but as far as I can, I got dumped here because nobody on Earth wanted me :D
Besides, on could interpret that "goodbye mom, goodbye dad" as well as a feeling, that one does not know if one wil survive the next fight.

Maybe you "elderly" people forgot how it was when you landed here, I don't remember the whole story either, but as far as I can, I got dumped here because nobody on Earth wanted me :D
Besides, on could interpret that "goodbye mom, goodbye dad" as well as a feeling, that one does not know if one wil survive the next fight.

That's a pretty cool interpretation. To state the obvious, the text in that quest is not official advice from FPC, it's the words of a slightly twisted NPC (i.e., a character in the 'game'). This is surely the way it should be. A wide variety of characters that greet you with messages other than "Hello" or "Sorry, I have no drinks but I'm expecting a shipment soon". You don't have to like the characters or what they say but you don't have to talk to them either. That guy in the Argo quest asks you if you want his tips before he tells you his twisted view. Maybe we need to think "Do I really want advice from a gun-worshipping member of the Calypsoian(?) NRA equivalent?"

Pretty easy going and not much offends me to be honest. At least not of the things availible here. Of course the missions may be a little insensitive to some but we can't please everyone can we :D

If memory serves, we no long have a "Boner", nor a "Labia".
So that sort of makes us sex-free, sexless whatever.

The names of these avas have been changed.

However - some team names are pretty graphic, so I think penalizing a few avas while letting the rude crude and nasty team names appear in global chat is silly.

So if you don't control both, forget about doing it at all.

Last edited:
Hi Ilga,

[...] Where do you draw the line and how convoluted is that line going to get? If you start banning people for having names that might cause offense don't you logically have to address all the other potentially offensive material? Do you even start banning people for having merely "annoying" names as someone suggested? How sterile are you going to let the "universe" get?[...]
I'd be much harsher with naming conventions. The "BooBgirl Juicy WeT" is plain stupid, childish and annoying in my book. Also names like "xXSqUaLLXx" (who seems to be a crazy, funny guy judging from his appearance ...) or "The biggest Global" wouldn't be allowed by me.

Is it this hard to think a little before creating your avatar and giving it a name that at least makes a little sense? Is it so much fun to chose a name that will be regarded as offensive by some, for sure, or that is right without any meaning at all? You'd like to have ppl here named "-lasgjalk 'sökgäwr' sgläqk"?

There's not much roleplay in this game, and I'm no roleplayer anyway. But names like such make me shudder, and doesn't help the person to gain any free respect from me (if not earned the hard way). Our names here are meant for years, does it really make sense to choose such one?

I might be hopelessly old-fashioned, after all I'm controlled by someone that isn't a teenager anymore, since decades - but is it really necessary to chose such names?

Comparing the ability to keep such names to some parts of this game doesn't make sense to me, too - everybody is free to avoid for instance Boorums or RockTropia (whose mob implementation I dislike, too). But avatar, and team names are something that will get broadcasted with any other global.

So I'd appreciate ever harsher rules there, and faster reactions. Call me picky now, I can live with it. But maybe you'd understand my standing.

Have fun!

Hi Ilga,

"-lasgjalk 'sökgäwr' sgläqk"?

!

Just so you know, in the native tongue of the eskimo that means "Genius Love Hamster"

Hurrikane

The most offensive material in eu to me is no loots.

You forgot to include a picture of the phallic vegetation..... which might I add bounces in the wind and even more so when you put a bomb next to it.

lol *note* I find none of the items in EU offensive or morally wrong actually kinda sad that they had to censor some of it, but yet still let us run around showing off our avatars boobies. (and if they take that away I'll be sad.... lol)

well they haven't taken away the nipples on rexley tops cause if they did the item value would plummet and then some people would be more upset over the loss of mu on the item than the nipples missing.

well they haven't taken away the nipples on rexley tops cause if they did the item value would plummet and then some people would be more upset over the loss of mu on the item than the nipples missing.
I just checked my top last night too and I could see my nipples, even tho they seemed to be inverted :(

OK, I edited the OP as I'm still getting reps from peeps who really think I'm taking a moral stand against MA. Come on people! :scratch2:

Last edited:
So I'd appreciate ever harsher rules there, and faster reactions. Call me picky now, I can live with it. But maybe you'd understand my standing.

But you do understand it is your stance?

That if 3 people appreciate or don't care about the name you need to subdue and accept, as this is the basic foundation of democrazy? (not a typo ;) That you step in and accept that others might consider the name a futile issue, and that actions are more important then words?

I know people who have offensive names IRL.

No one has the right to force them to have their name changed, while it's easier IRL then in EU. So why should a policy be forced ingame, which does not exist outside of the game?

OK, I edited the OP as I'm still getting reps from peeps who really think I'm taking a moral stand against MA. Come on people! :scratch2:

...you gotta love the ef community! :laugh:

We kave had a thread/petition/poll in this matter and not a single word from MA/FPC/community manager. Its been discussed/dissected/opinionized by the community, I guess its reasonable to expect some kind of feedback from the "gods".... :scratch2:

Have fun!

I wouldn't call you picky..a control freak maybe..

I would respect if you wanted harsher rules for yourself or your own children.
If you wanted them for everyone else, then you can eat a bag of shit, I don't want or need to have your personal views and opinions forced on me.

Back