Perception - How loots are working ?!

no really keep posting about your experience guys :)

OK here are my thoughts and experiences:

- When you first start as a newb perception skills flood in. Does this mean there are more good loots around, more people about to enter your radar? Similarly, when you get to a certain level you see like 1 gain in a month's hard hunting - how can you make use of that in any meaningful way?

- I have had many minis, globals and hofs in the years I have played but a perception gain has never featured in these any more than every other type of gain associated with the activity.

- The perception/loot theory was actually invented by somebody as a joke a few years back (I forget who) which tends to cast doubt on it's credibility. Maybe I will invent another such theory and see if people are still earnestly discussing it in a few years time :)

Oh well, an uber talked i think you're right here demoniac, the more skilled you're the less skill you gain, so how can perception be loots related, would be unfair for skilled avatar

- The perception/loot theory was actually invented by somebody as a joke a few years back (I forget who) which tends to cast doubt on it's credibility. Maybe I will invent another such theory and see if people are still earnestly discussing it in a few years time :)

I came up with this theory without knowing this story

+rep will be given around to post which are deserving some :)

Oh well, an uber talked i think you're right here demoniac, the more skilled you're the less skill you gain, so how can perception be loots related, would be unfair for skilled avatar

I came up with this theory without knowing this story

+rep will be given around to post which are deserving some :)

I was thinking this same thing. So then the question would turn to what good is perception?

Does perhaps percetpion merely increase the range in which you see things on your radar? Easy enough to find out anyone with a REALL Yhigh perception can you see mobs and people at the furthest reaches of your radar?

I was thinking this same thing. So then the question would turn to what good is perception?

Does perhaps percetpion merely increase the range in which you see things on your radar? Easy enough to find out anyone with a REALL Yhigh perception can you see mobs and people at the furthest reaches of your radar?

Yeah or even what perception is good for ? wasn't supposed to "be aware, surrunding things" in the description ?

I think i found a question for marco ;)

Yeah or even what perception is good for ? wasn't supposed to "be aware, surrunding things" in the description ?

I think i found a question for marco ;)

That's for sure. I looked over some of my screen shots. And it's got nothing to do with radar for avatars I can see a green dot at the furthest extent of my radar.
I think this works for mobs to but the land has be pretyt flat. Otherwise I knwo i've walked away enough and watched mobs just blip off my radar.

Thios bots are are a perfect example. I can't see them fully on my radar at all. Had one show up half way once walked a couple steps back and poof vanished.
This was a simple 01 bot to.

That's for sure. I looked over some of my screen shots. And it's got nothing to do with radar for avatars I can see a green dot at the furthest extent of my radar.
I think this works for mobs to but the land has be pretyt flat. Otherwise I knwo i've walked away enough and watched mobs just blip off my radar.

Thios bots are are a perfect example. I can't see them fully on my radar at all. Had one show up half way once walked a couple steps back and poof vanished.
This was a simple 01 bot to.

This is quite interesting, does Perception would allow you to see mobs in the radar that you wouldn't usually see ?
Demoniac got a point here, uber mustn't got much skills since they already have ALOT of perception but when you're getting a skill try to check loots straight after it or try to find a reason why you got that skill :)

As you said, Perception contribute in most of proffesion and our goal is to "understand" how and why we're getting such skills ;)

Non-sence here, each skill got his own function, IDR and RDA improve dmg rate as FA improve heal efficiency ! i might have understand your sentance the wrong way though !

Why would Perception be a useless skill ? doesn't make sence since it's a "general" skill, each skill must have a function or will have one in the future :rolleyes:

I don't say it's a useless skill, I only mean, it's not because you get that skill it is linked with more loot or finding a big claim or so. I compare it with the other skills like coolness, dexterity etc.

I really don't think even with 10K perception you get more loot from mobs or bigger/more claims when mining.

I don't say it's a useless skill, I only mean, it's not because you get that skill it is linked with more loot or finding a big claim or so. I compare it with the other skills like coolness, dexterity etc.

I really don't think even with 10K perception you get more loot from mobs or bigger/more claims when mining.

Got a point too !

Awww this skill will make me crazy, i want to understand :scratch2:

Midnight said:

I don't know how long ago that was, probably something like 1.5 years, but then you could see any mob from the furthest reaches of your radar. MA changed that so the range where you can see a mob depends on it's general level (spiders max range, snable young min range ;)). This was done for performance reasons (at least MA said so) so I doubt perception has any influence on this

This is quite interesting, does Perception would allow you to see mobs in the radar that you wouldn't usually see ?
Demoniac got a point here, uber mustn't got much skills since they already have ALOT of perception but when you're getting a skill try to check loots straight after it or try to find a reason why you got that skill :)

Well the more I think about it the more I think it goes to spotting mobs perhaps even people.

As many have said they get perception gains with folks jsut off radar.

I'll do some double checking when i'm out tonight. But I was out hunting longu last night and they as well couldn't be seen 100% to the edge of my radar. One could argue it was a terrain thing. But I could, once close enough spot longus on the opposite side of a hill I can't see through.

While looking at some of my allophyl screen shots. I can see allos to the full extent of my radar. Guess i'll follow this path of thinking and see what I can come up with. Maybe jot down some numbers based on coords when first seen to where animal is at. See if there's correlations.

I don't know how long ago that was, probably something like 1.5 years, but then you could see any mob from the furthest reaches of your radar. MA changed that so the range where you can see a mob depends on it's general level (spiders max range, snable young min range ;)). This was done for performance reasons (at least MA said so) so I doubt perception has any influence on this

I remember that, so perception isn't linked with it...

what else ?!

Why wouldn't perception work to increase this.

If you can spot young to the full extent but not say dominants something should increase that range. Perception seems perfect for it. As you'd learn to distinguish the calls of the animals, the game trails etc. Makes sense. But of course we all know a lot of EU doesn't make sense.

If you can spot young to the full extent but not say dominants something should increase that range. Perception seems perfect for it. As you'd learn to distinguish the calls of the animals, the game trails etc. Makes sense. But of course we all know a lot of EU doesn't make sense.

In fact it would really bother me to see all mobs even from the limit of the radar because i used to use it to find big mobs !
But hey ! everything is possible :)

I've always quite liked the idea that perception/serendipity indicates something out of the ordinary nearby. Whilst I can't say I've seen nearly enough evidence to confirm it, I do see enough odd trends related to it to still keep an eye on it as a possibility. I did once get perception on 3 consecutive mobs followed by a HOF too :D

So, that all being said, I figured I'd play devil's advocate. Whilst doing Pyschotropy or Pyrotropy you don't gain perception (or at least perception doesn't contribute to the professions). So if you're hunting with nerve blast you don't get perception from it. So either for some reason you don't get the clue when using MF, or the theory is bogus...

I've always quite liked the idea that perception/serendipity indicates something out of the ordinary nearby. Whilst I can't say I've seen nearly enough evidence to confirm it, I do see enough odd trends related to it to still keep an eye on it as a possibility. I did once get perception on 3 consecutive mobs followed by a HOF too :D

So, that all being said, I figured I'd play devil's advocate. Whilst doing Pyschotropy or Pyrotropy you don't gain perception (or at least perception doesn't contribute to the professions). So if you're hunting with nerve blast you don't get perception from it. So either for some reason you don't get the clue when using MF, or the theory is bogus...

rofl, unless MF hasn't been created to hunt, there should not be any corelation between perception and loots then :scratch2:

just thought id add this little piece of research to the stew. Having gone through my global screens, about 60, only 2 are immediately preceded by a preception skill gain. amongst the many skills shown before looting a global, by far the most common is anatomy which is in 12, or 20%.

this makes sence, as you understand more about the anatomy of mobs you are able to extract more from thier carcass. :thumbup: :wtg:

I have about 4k in perception and while hunting when I gain perc, I will get a better loot withing 5-10 mins. It works about 80-90% accuracy. My ex-discipline has about 4-500 perception and when she gets gain in perc (while hunting in same area), she gets better loot with 5-10% propability.

I have about 4k in perception and while hunting when I gain perc, I will get a better loot withing 5-10 mins. It works about 80-90% accuracy. My ex-discipline has about 4-500 perception and when she gets gain in perc (while hunting in same area), she gets better loot with 5-10% propability.

Oh i didn't think about this, the more perception your have the less you gain but it has more accuracy about finding loots better than usual !
Like a newcomer could get many message before hitting the "good" loots while an uber would get one message !

The more message we get the best our idea about this skill will be !

Something could increase that range but to what purpose? atm you can easily tell if the dot that appeared on your radar is a dangerous mob or not (bigger, louder call ;)). Let's say it works they way you suggest and I have 10k perc. I'd see all mobs within my radar range and this can get annoying + laggy. Personally I'd like to avoid such a thing happening. Why would you want to see mobs like snable young from far away anyway? :scratch2:

Something could increase that range but to what purpose? atm you can easily tell if the dot that appeared on your radar is a dangerous mob or not (bigger, louder call ;)). Let's say it works they way you suggest and I have 10k perc. I'd see all mobs within my radar range and this can get annoying + laggy. Personally I'd like to avoid such a thing happening. Why would you want to see mobs like snable young from far away anyway? :scratch2:

Would be annyoing if we could see all mobs from the limit of our radar, you would run randomly right next to a tough mobs without knowing, atm we can easily tell what mobs we have in from of us by checking the rader (or atleast how strong this one is)

Tonight I was killing some Longu and happened to get 2 perc gains on a mob (see my previous post that I ignore 1 gain in an area), cool I thought, tagged the next mob and 3 perc gains, still nothing special for loot, tagged the next and 2 more gains. At this point I sent a message to a friend saying something big could be coming and return to the mobs, next mob is just out of range, so I take 1 step forward and tag and see butterflys. To me that's one of the better experiences I've had with my belief of how perc works.

Curiously about 30 seconds after picking up the 16 fruit, the friend I pm'd hit a 9k hof, which of course I accused of stealing my perc :laugh:

Tonight I was killing some Longu and happened to get 2 perc gains on a mob (see my previous post that I ignore 1 gain in an area), cool I thought, tagged the next mob and 3 perc gains, still nothing special for loot, tagged the next and 2 more gains. At this point I sent a message to a friend saying something big could be coming and return to the mobs, next mob is just out of range, so I take 1 step forward and tag and see butterflys. To me that's one of the better experiences I've had with my belief of how perc works.

Curiously about 30 seconds after picking up the 16 fruit, the friend I pm'd hit a 9k hof, which of course I accused of stealing my perc :laugh:

Rofl, nice experience, i was helping a good friend Blaine tonight, i had to kill mobs on our way to reach zychion, then i got 2 perception hit on 2 mobs different (cornundacuda) followed by a 20 ped loot on feffoids !
So i still think perception have something to do with loots ;)

Perception straight before loots !
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Last edited:
i've found one thing.. when i get a perc. gain on a mob.. 9/10 times its a no-loot

Quoting myself here because I want to contadict myself.

couple of days ago, the first shot i made on a hogg had a perc. gain - then that hogg was a global..

So it seems that 9/10 times is no loot, but the 10/10 time is a better-than-normal loot :)

Last edited:
Quoting myself here because I want to contadict myself.

couple of days ago, the first shot i made on a hogg had a perc. gain - then thet hogg was a global..

So it seems that 9/10 times is no loot, but the 10/10 time is a better-than-normal loot :)

:revive: necro of the week award ;)

In my opinion perception should be used as a guide to find mobs with greated than normal loot (a hunch) one perception gain is not equal to global loot but it can be used as a hint that you are in a area where there is a possibility to get a higher than normal loot.

And then used to pin point the group of mobs that carry this treasure.

please correct me if this has already been covered in the thread.

/zaloo

In my opinion perception should be used as a guide to find mobs with greated than normal loot (a hunch) one perception gain is not equal to global loot but it can be used as a hint that you are in a area where there is a possibility to get a higher than normal loot.

And then used to pin point the group of mobs that carry this treasure.

please correct me if this has already been covered in the thread.

/zaloo
Ah... One last time:

EUs generel skill gain system:
Whenever an avatar uses a skill, the avatar has a small % chance of increasing the experience in that skill. The more effect the skill has, the bigger the chance of a gain.

I really don't understand why so many insist that Perception is different from all other skills. :eek:

Well, here's my theory:

I think that when you get perception in an area, it's because a timer has started (or is just drawing to an end) - you have X amount of minutes/seconds until you must loot a creature in order to claim your rewards - if you move to another area, perhaps another spawn, your timer is reset.
:

Thats what i think:D almost

I don’t think perc has any relation with loot. I have hunted and made globals with no perception gains whatsoever before or after the globals, I have hunted and gained perception and had no loot over 10 ped.

I also believed that perc gain is related with loot but after a while i realized it is only a skill increase. Furthermore when hunting in team it often happens that 1 avatar receives several perception and the other is not. How can that be if both hunt in the same spot ? The loot is there so both should get perception...

Global/HoF after a skill gain perception = BS.
That would mean the higher your perception skills the harder it is to get a Global/HoF.
As off course we all know the higher we are in a skill the less gains u get.
And all the ones who has a low perception rating where globalling all the time. (NOT)

just my :twocents:

greetings,

bigdeal

loots been bad for me to lately, but still waiting for my HoF! :D

Back