Please stop the front page animations

Botchla

Old Alpha
Society
cB
Jack Captain Black
Now theres two animations on the home page of ef.
A: I can barely scroll down the page (probably my own fault for only having 3 gigs of ram :rolleyes:)

B: If eu is open and ef at the same time, eu is so laggy I can barely move.

Has anyone else noticed the lag this has caused? :eyecrazy:

A: I can barely scroll down the page (probably my own fault for only having 3 gigs of ram :rolleyes:)

if your lagging out due to a GIF and have 3 gig ram it sounds like a more serious issue than just a GIF image :confused:

if your lagging out due to a GIF and have 3 gig ram it sounds like a more serious issue than just a GIF image :confused:

I never lagged before these gif's, I'll defrag and try it again :eyecrazy:

Doesn't seem to be causing me any issues :dunno:

I have only 1 gb of ram but i don`t have any problems with EF. So something is wrong for you.

i don't have any technical problem with it but i personally prefer static graphics or if they are animated to be not so animated. The current one i'd say is too animated and can be distracting although it is good and i like it :)

The last one about the man on a mission is not so distracting and is a good example of using animation but on a low scale. Although if I was making that one I'd remove the red flashy bits on the word "mission"...then it would be perfect with just the guy walking ...

There is no real need for the flashy graphics we all see it anyway. In this case i would agree less is more. :cool:

I'd say there is definitely something wrong if a gif is slowing down a computer.

I also want to say in particular defence of the fact I used a gif. It was posted a few times that people often missed the next part of the choose your own adventure because it was the same static logo so people suggested doing an animation. Now I've done one other people are complaining that they thought the logo was better.

I had the same problem when I started posting the choose your own adventure. I had it suggested to me to put it in the news feed so more people could see it and then I was moaned about for putting fiction on the news page.

I'm really getting a little fed up of people not being happy no matter what I do.

Unbunch your ******* Marie, I like it and it looks GREAT. That's all you need to know :yay::yay::yay:

I'd say there is definitely something wrong if a gif is slowing down a computer.

I also want to say in particular defence of the fact I used a gif. It was posted a few times that people often missed the next part of the choose your own adventure because it was the same static logo so people suggested doing an animation. Now I've done one other people are complaining that they thought the logo was better.

I had the same problem when I started posting the choose your own adventure. I had it suggested to me to put it in the news feed so more people could see it and then I was moaned about for putting fiction on the news page.

I'm really getting a little fed up of people not being happy no matter what I do.

The problem is ppl are different. There are some who like the one variant, and other who like the other. Don'T get discouraged about it. As the artist you have to make the decision i think :)

No animation on the web for browsers

Opera

Firefox

Internet Explorer

Opera

Firefox

Internet Explorer

You sir, have just won the interet.

Animations are optional - now anyone on here that doesn't like them has the know-how to turn them off.

I think the new animated graphics look great.

If this is happening, I would check where you the memory is being used, what processes are taking up your CPU and RAM. I would think the tiny GIF has barely anything to do with it. These things hardly use resources.
I'm on 2GB DDR2-533 and I got no probs at all when having both EU and EF open. Well...not caused by those GIF anyway :D

It's impossible to do good for anyone. I can surely appreciate the work and effort you've put into this. If you 'd ask for it, my advise were to be:
Look to yourself and reflect your choices by the critics given, if ever reasonable. Embrace the positive reactions and refrain of all negativity :)

YES! I want more animations on the front page too!
I think we really should have those more. its really fancy!

Just press Esc and they stop moving..

I remember animating gifs slowing down a computer... but it was in 1993 or so :laugh:

Didn't you and your friends camp a revival terminal a few weeks ago? :laugh:

(just kidding)

I guess there are 3 main reasons why EF can be slow:
You're running PE client at the same time and it runs on same processor core. Solution: Lower priority of entropia.exe (to for instanace below normal).

There are tons of flash animations running.
Solution: Disable flash, or if you want to keep security high, all active X components. Disable flash you can do by going into options, program, run with no privileges, click adobe shockwave flash. Then press "remove from all websites" below the list on allowed websites. From there, you can opt-in to run flash on a few selected websites like Youtube. Generally disabling flash will make surfing go faster.

Third: You just got some malware into the computer (for instance through a vulnarable java engine). Reinstall windows :eyecrazy: .

Back