Post your local castle pic thread :)

Society
Tusalusa Stalkers
Leonardo Naifas Anaconda
This thread was inspired by this one.
Let us start with MA's castle.
weissesschloss.jpg

And follow with others.

Here are a few that you can find in Portugal.

Most don't look like doll houses.
836825817_86383dd6dd.jpg

Almourol Castle
1716981-Palacio_da_Pena-Portugal.jpg

Pena palace, Sintra
3713.JPG

Óbidos castle.
20645_ori_guimaraes.jpg

Guimaraes.
1414359-Castelo_dos_Templarios-Tomar.jpg

Castle of the Templars, Tomar. Templars changed name to Order of Christ and became navigators (that's why ships wore a red cross).
arraiolos-circ.jpg

Arraiolos.

Fortresses.
48534381_865aac119d.jpg

Berlengas
TorreBelem.jpg

Belém
almeida01.jpg

Almeida walled city.

There's a lot more. We do not have much palaces, but castles and fortresses you can find both inland, shores and some even in the water. A lot of them abroad (Brasil, Africa, from morrocco to ethiopia, all around the continent shore, India, Malaysia...). All of them made for warfare and defense.

Post some pics of the ones you got in your area ;).

Last edited:
This is Warkworth Castle in Northumberland:

warkworth-castle.jpg

Not particularly impressive as castles go, but we used to go there for days out when I was a kid so I like it :)

That is a cool castle Oleg! I like the geometry of it. It seems to be made of 5 sections very proportionaly positioned.

Having a castle nearby when you're a kid is good to add more fantasy and imagination. ;)

That is a cool castle Oleg! I like the geometry of it. It seems to be made of 5 sections very proportionaly positioned.

Having a castle nearby when you're a kid is good to add more fantasy and imagination. ;)

It's a long time since I've been so I can't remember the layout very well. With the tree being in the picture you can see that it's quite small. From the outside it looks quite well preserved but inside it's a lot less intact.

There are a number of castles around Northumberland because of it being on the border with Scotland, but this was the closest to where I was born.

For example Alnwick Castle (still home to the Duke of Northumberland):

alnwick_castle_northumberland_uk_photo_gov.jpg

And Bamburgh Castle:

bamburgh_castle_main.jpg

There aren't so many castles around Yorkshire where I live now. The closest I can think of is Richmond Castle, which as you can see is falling to bits:

richmond302.jpg

Some Wikipedia links if you want 'em :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warkworth_castle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alnwick_Castle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamburgh_castle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Castle

Source: http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/ - Missouri Section

woodsmit.jpg

woodsmi4.jpg

webb.jpg

wallace.jpg

tiffany.jpg

tiffany8.jpg

stuart.jpg

skyhigh.jpg

rock.jpg

oldcross.jpg

oldcros8.jpg

montebel.jpg

mo_unk13.jpg

mo_unk8.jpg

kennetts.jpg

hahatonk.jpg

hahaton2.jpg

epperson.jpg

citywork.jpg

bothwell.jpg

Source: missouri.edu
Memorial Union here on Campus at University of Missouri:
memorial_union.jpg

I might add more pics later. I know there's lots of other interesting architecture around where I live. We live in an old river town that has lots of brick structures, and many of those have little towers in them.

Some nice pics there :).
I was very impressed by bamburgh's history. It is a massive fortress too.

Very interesting pics mastermesh. Though the majority of the castles are in fact fancy manors and not made for battle, they look very cool. (but i bet the owners would easily defend their homes in case of attack when compared to other houses)

The pic of the campus building i'd classify as palace. A very well designed one. I love the style.

Dolwyddelan Castle - I lived there

Harlech Castle

Conwy Castle

Caernarfon Castle

By lived there she means was imprisoned in the highest tower until Spike came along and began climbing her silken tresses to rescue her. At which point she said "Oy! That pulls! Knock it off ya cheeky bugger!" So he stopped and went and bribed the local fire dept. with 2 1/2 cases of Newcastle Brown to get her out.

And they lived happily ever after.

The end.

Blackjack :cowboy:

There do not seem to be many castles in America. But then, There are not many Cowboys in Europe. WTF.

China_fortress.jpg

my local castle

The maid was not the best availble, lady RC :).

Great pictures RC ;).
By lived there she means was imprisoned in the highest tower until Spike came along and began climbing her silken tresses to rescue her. At which point she said "Oy! That pulls! Knock it off ya cheeky bugger!" So he stopped and went and bribed the local fire dept. with 2 1/2 cases of Newcastle Brown to get her out.

And they lived happily ever after.

The end.

Blackjack :cowboy:
LOL

There do not seem to be many castles in America. But then, There are not many Cowboys in Europe. WTF.
But you guys have forts! Let's see some pics!

my local castle
Nice, oriental castles ;). And lol @ shifty's pic :laugh:.

This is a response to Jambayze.
This is a fort in Brazil (there are european-style fortresses in the Americas). I'm sure there is something from the US that you can also show.
fort_smarc.jpg

Our local castle Festung Hohensalzburg. Rather ugly architectonic imo, but in context with the landscape it has something. :)

16171320.jpg

cps_festung_hohensalzburg.jpg

37_59886__pritz-_f1-online__festung-hohensalzburg-und-stift-nonnberg-im-schnee.jpg

OK, Here ya go,

There are 2 structures in my area that could pass muster as a smallish castle or palace.

Swannanoa:

Scott's Castle

Those are pretty to look at, but don't really talk about what castles were really all about. To discuss that aspect of castles, I leave it to 12,000 of my closest friends. Here's a picture of the Castle Battle at Pennsic War, an SCA event in Pennsylvania that attracts participants from all over the world:

Leona, castle architecture originally was meant for 1 and only thing: warfare. Looks came much after. To be honest, i don't find your castle ugly at all :).

Alpha, cool event you guys have!

Gedimino Castle :)

20060216-gedimino-.jpg

Traku Castle :)

traku_pilis

Kärnan and Kronborg

This is "kärnan" (the core in swedish) in my hometown, Helsingborg, Sweden. It's the final remains of a much bigger castle that was demolished during the Sweden-Denmark wars in the 16-18 century due to the fact that it was a very strong defence to overcome for the (swedish/danish depending on year) military.
It got 4.5meter thick walls and was built in th 15 century on the location of an older castle from the 11 century.

401643.jpg

And 4km (2.5miles) over the strait in Helsingör, Denmark, we have Kronborg (Hamlet's castle). Kronborg's built in the 16 century on the same location as "Kronan", a castle built in the 15 century.

11-kronborg-castle.jpg

There's many old castles in this region of Sweden (scania) due to the wars between Sweden and Denmark, but those two are the most famous. :)

castle_glass.jpg

oh, and this is the view of Conwy Castle from my office..

conwy_castle.jpg

this Old Medieval Castle & Fortification stands in the middle of a very beautiful valley, covered in forest;:yay:

Back