FYI: The potential of new planet graphics

Smoerble

Elite
Smoerble
Hi...
a lot of people seem not to know, how strong the old CryEngine (1) was and how much power the CryEngine 2 has. Yes, it's obvious, that we won't see that much detail on a MMORPG, still this video shows how much better a game can look like, when a bigger designer team sits on it... can't wait to get the new planets!

[YOUTUBE]aZR5IvXGMts[/YOUTUBE]

Exactly what i thought on my first day in the new VU it seemed like they plucked the trees from the old vu and stuck them into the new CE2, Im sure they could of done a much better job of it.

All that time spent developing and the lateness and this is what we get instead of what we could of got.

What we have is no where near what cryengine 1 can give let alone 2.

omg...gfx are starting to look better than real life! wth?? :eek:

However looks ain't everything...sometimes a highscorelist is enough! just my 2 pec...

...this video shows how much better a game can look like, when a bigger designer team sits on it... can't wait to get the new planets!

it is nice. who's paying for the big design team to utilise the engine to the max then?

so you pay

so you pay hundreds of dollars to look at nice pictures lol;

it must be a really twisted logic here...

improvements to game doesn't pay from mindark profit - it is taken by the greedy paw of marco from your pocket, fool!

Funny enough Bethesda Softworks made Fallout 3 (and Oblivion as well) on the Gamebryo engine.. and those titles look nothing like EU..

If the game would look like the video, we would get a ton more players. If the animations would be at least as interesting as [theothermmorpg)] it would attract more players.

The gameplay is cool enough, that's why we all still play, all i say is: i am happy that the new planets are created by bigger design teams, so it will be even more impressive.

And yes, they used the old models, somewhere they made that statement, that they have a lot low poly models still here.

I have to say, I am surprised that they didnt even created new ones in the last 3 years... but hey... planet partners can show what#s possible ;)

Yep, here's to hoping some of the partners invest some time into the engine to pull out the potential. That demo video shows that we are rapidly approaching the graphics threshold and soon only content will divide the games at the top. Think about it, how long will it take for games to become ultra-realistic beyond where they already are? Ten years ago, we were here:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP-kqxQAltM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Then, Cry2 comes out two years ago and can be tweaked to this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZR5IvXGMts[/YOUTUBE]

Still, back in the days of Project Entropia, there was a lot done in the way of fun and not just "let's add more useless crap", hopefully MA will work on the fun factor some in the near future instead of just adding in more for its own sake. It will be a few years before MMOs can handle life-like graphics, there is just far too much information to be processed at any given time, especially in a game like Entropia where players can fully customize their appearance.

And yes, they used the old models, somewhere they made that statement, that they have a lot low poly models still here.

didnt they say that they will improve those later too? :)

I'm most keen to see the new planets - as they may not be as tied to matching an existing economy system, as FPC has to be - there are great possibilities.

Am looking forward to zipping around in a jeep blasting mobs with a massive caliber machine gun :). Please don't try to explain the tech reasons why this might not happen - I need something to blindly look forward to :)

I wonder if the new planets will be so cool that everyone will hang out on them all the time, might put a crimp on the second golden age for Calypso!

as they may not be as tied to matching an existing economy system, as FPC has to be - there are great possibilities.

Aren't all planets parts of the same economic system, which is administrated by MA? :scratch2:

Aren't all planets parts of the same economic system, which is administrated by MA? :scratch2:

Unfortunately, yes.

This along with many other things that relate to MA still holding the reins on the underlying platform is what concerns me most.
The communication issues between FPC and MA and the multitude of problems recently caused at MA's end worries me.
If they can't handle the platform for one planet (Calypso) how will they keep up with the demands of the new planets?

That said, I have no doubts that the new planets WILL bring some fresh new content, improved visuals and animations.

Looking forward to it ;)

Cheers :beerchug:,

Aly

Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Aren't all planets parts of the same economic system, which is administrated by MA?
Unfortunately, yes.
This along with many other things that relate to MA still holding the reins on the underlying platform is what concerns me most.
The communication issues between FPC and MA and the multitude of problems recently caused at MA's end worries me.
If they can't handle the platform for one planet (Calypso) how will they keep up with the demands of the new planets?

Ok, this is getting OffTopic, but as you said it...

You will be very happy, that it's based on exactly the same system. We, the old time players, have a BIG advantage to all new joiners. We have skills, we can start a fresh game right in the middle and don't need to skill up all the way.

We have all the big guns and armor, we don't need to buy that stuff again.

So why can you think it's bad if it's the same economy system? Imagine you can loot similar stuff on new planets at a much higher drop rate... the whole economy would crash and all high depositers would quit. And believe me, if you like ti or not, you need them to keep the thing going.

About communication lag between MA and others: MA will learn that they can't work like they did anymore once some real cash is flowing to some real companies.

Still I think, MA is currently acting as good or as bad as Ubi-Soft... so it's way better than it was before. Could be improved, but could be worse :).

I'm sorry :( - my post wasn't clear - what i meant is that the new planets can dedicate their efforts to developing content and gameplay while MA has to split it's team between all aspects of the system, especially the economy as this pays the bills for them.

I'm sorry :( - my post wasn't clear - what i meant is that the new planets can dedicate their efforts to developing content and gameplay while MA has to split it's team between all aspects of the system, especially the economy as this pays the bills for them.

Hopefully thats why they split FPC from MA ;) Maybe in time FPC will grow to have enough employees to be able to dedicate themselves to the things the players truly wish for. I know its a long shot and alot has to be done in the meantime but it will get there in the end im sure.

C

Ok, this is getting OffTopic, but as you said it...

You will be very happy, that it's based on exactly the same system. We, the old time players, have a BIG advantage to all new joiners. We have skills, we can start a fresh game right in the middle and don't need to skill up all the way.

We have all the big guns and armor, we don't need to buy that stuff again.

So why can you think it's bad if it's the same economy system? Imagine you can loot similar stuff on new planets at a much higher drop rate... the whole economy would crash and all high depositers would quit. And believe me, if you like ti or not, you need them to keep the thing going.

About communication lag between MA and others: MA will learn that they can't work like they did anymore once some real cash is flowing to some real companies.

Still I think, MA is currently acting as good or as bad as Ubi-Soft... so it's way better than it was before. Could be improved, but could be worse :).

Perhaps my post was badly worded. My point was on topic, but I don’t think I expressed it very well.
I have no major issues with MA. I think they have built a brilliant platform and wholeheartedly agree with the decision to split the planet gameplay portion off to a separate company to increase focus on the underlying platform.

However, I AM concerned that they do not have the required staffing, structure and procedures in place to efficiently manage the underlying platform for one planet. So, my concerns remain; how will they handle the demands of several?

I genuinely hope they WILL make the required changes to better manage the underlying platform and it's direct link to the planets/gameplay. I hope the companies behind the new planets will push them to improve their current structure and procedures so it CAN be successful, but am concerned that at this late stage they still struggle with many of the basics.

My point was this.. I do believe that many of the companies behind the new planets will have the ideas and abilities to provide improved graphics, content and general gameplay. (As the CE2 potential in the OP shows)
But, with the implementation of many of those improvements still relying on MA's abilities, I think this will be a slow process.
Essentially, the designers can be the best in the world, but without a cohesive link to the underlying platform, much of the potential may not be realised.

I do hope you're right, that MA will become a more cohesive company able to keep up with the potential improvements new planets will bring, but at this stage, I think it will be at least a year before we see anything even close to this level from any of the planets, as I feel it will take some time yet before MA is able to handle such a challenge. (Or that the companies behind the other planets will be able to efficiently work within the limitations that working with an MA run platform will require).

Only time will tell.
I look forward to whatever it brings nonetheless. Would be fantastic to see a trailer from one of the EU based planets looking even close to that shown in the OP in the future.

Cheers :beerchug:,

Aly

Cryengine 1, 2 & 3 are all amazing the gambryo engine or the newest edition Lightspeed is also amazing. Nuff said....But the game could have been improved by moving all assets from the old version into the new converting the programming and scripts over and giving us the same thing in a new engine. From there they could then slowly implement all the new ideas. Instead of the way it was done. Yes I have simplified it for typing sanity but thats what they should have done.

Back