Wednesday Who's Who - Rex & Onica

PINKY

Elite
Society
The Disturbed Ones
Pinky
whos-who-mini2.gif

REX & ONICA
RexDameon "Rex" Andreosn and Adonica "Onica" Andreosn are one of the few real-world couples that play together in the Entropia Universe. Both Rex and Onica are known to many players in our virtual universe, but not for being uber, or for investing thousands of dollars. These two are mainly known for being a genuinely nice couple that have helped dozens of people launch into their Entropia lives...

[wrap=left]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/6/7/2/5/MINI.jpg[/wrap] What makes this couple particularly unique is they act as “unofficial mentors” for many people who cannot take on a regular mentor. How many times have you seen someone in need of help, only to find out they can not be taken on as a disciple because they shot a few creatures and became too highly skilled to qualify as a disciple? What happens to such participants? Well, the lucky ones ran into Rex and Onica, who go out of their way to help them by becoming their mentors. Obviously this means they get absolutely no reward from MA for the help they give, so why do it?
“It's simple really,” says Rex. “I believe in paying it forward (yeah, like that movie). If someone helps you it often promotes you to help someone else and usually comes back to you in the end.”
”You make great friends in the process too," adds Onica, "The more people join and stay the more improvements come to EU.”

In the real world, Rex and Onica are known as Sean, a 28 year-old Electronic Assembler, and Megan, a 24 year-old Patient Services Representative. They started life as their virtual counterparts almost four years ago, with Rex introducing Onica to the game shortly after discovering it himself. A short while into their virtual lives, the couple founded the popular 'nothing And nowhere' (nAn) society. “We founded 'nothing AND nowhere' together with our real life friend Fairplay. It was a lot of fun and we had some great times in Entropia,” says Rex of the old days. Onica goes on to explain “We created it to help organize teaching others and mentoring in a group, so people got not just one mentor to help them but everyone in the society.” Rex continues, “We gave them small tasks that didn't cost a lot of money, but were fun like collecting all the Teleporters. Eventually, as Real life got us both pretty busy, we had to give up running the society and leave because it's hard to be in nAn and not want to run things. It's nice now being in Clan Deathstalker, where we can just relax and play when we can. It's a great bunch of people that I feel we fit in well with. We all have the same relaxed style of play.” [wrap=right]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/6/7/2/5/rex.gif[/wrap]

Rex and Onica have always placed the fun and social aspects of the game over trying to be the highest skilled. Indeed, with Rex’s highest pro-standing at level 23 Laser sniper and Onica’s at level 16 Swordsman (or should that be swordswoman ;)), neither could be described as highly skilled; their skills are all-natural with no chipping, and have been gained while having fun. Rex explains, “I've been trying to road them all out lately. Right now I've been mining a lot." Onica explains she favours Mermoth hunting with long blades or handgun. "We aren't much for hard-core skilling as much as just having a fun time in EU." A great example of 'fun' hunting rather than skill hunting is Rex’s famous 12-man Opalo hunts. “My favourite is hunting in a 12 person Opalo team with FAP 5's and see what we can take down,” says Rex.
I have been lucky enough to join Rex on a couple of these hunts about a year ago and actually took down my first Falxangius wearing OJ’s and sporting my trusty Opalo. This was great fun, as well as being incredibly economical. I was mingling with some serious ubers, but we were all the same - the bottom line is, uber or not, if you run at a Falxangius wearing bright orange and shooting them with a peashooter you die! :D

Rex has recently become a pilot, starting a new chapter in his Entropia career. Unlike the majority of pilots, he has adopted the somewhat controversial approach of not adhering to the fixed prices some pilots have agreed to. “Basically it comes down to this: back when CND was still fresh I heard about how much it cost to actually fly people and how they wanted to make loads of money even though just owning the ship and letting it sit there was making money with how the hangers went from about 30k PED to 100K PED. I said to myself if I ever get a ATH I'm buying a Hangar and changing things. I want to help people out to get there cheaper. When a generous benefactor gave me the chance I took it. So now I'm just sticking to what I said before and not making myself a Liar. The best part is even if I'm not actually flying, as long as people are flying for less I still have accomplished my goal.”

[wrap=left]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/6/7/2/5/onica4.gif[/wrap] Rex has been active on Entropia Forum since February 2005 and Onica since May 2005, but as she explains “I don’t have much time for forums with my busy real life. So Rex just keeps me up-to-date.” In game Rex is a social creature, “I hang out a lot in Control room and Twin Peaks with Piloting but I still keep in touch with the guys in 'nothing AND nowhere', old disciples, and all the regular society people and a lot of others, too many to number. I try to be friends with everyone.”

Rex and Onica were keen supporters of the Entropian magazine, and were actually featured in an article in the first (and only) issue. “We were really excited when we got asked for the interview for the Entropian article on Couples that Play EU. It made it really worthwhile to go buy it. It's great being able to share EU with Onica and have someone at home always to talk about stuff with.” Both Rex and Onica entered the avatar look-a-like competition, and Onica said of it, “Even though we lost we still had a lot of fun hunting for clothes for it together.” In fact, the hats from the competition can be seen in the real-world photo of the couple at the top of this article.

One thing is for sure, these two dedicated and fun-loving Entropians will be around for a long time yet. Rex still has yet to get a HOF after 4 years of playing, and he's not quitting until he gets one!!:D

rex_and_onica2.jpg

Well done! Really nice article about a really nice couple :)

Well done! Really nice article about a really nice couple :)

I second this. :D

Well done Pinky, and keep up the good work Rex & Onica. People like this enrich EU, and make it a more enjoyable place for us all. :wtg:

HuuHuuu... nice to meet u :)

Nice article, gratz.

Very nice Pinky, I am still loving these whos who articles.

very nice choice, they may not be uber in skills, but they are uber in personality.

nice article :) gl, Rex and Onica

I dont think ive met Onica ingame, but ive got to know Rex over the time ive been playing. He is one of the coolest people ingame, and always enjoy chatting with him. Ofcourse he is one of the first on my list when im looking for a flight to/from CND.

Oooh, love =D Nice to read, love to read stories like this, very good job on WWW =D

Great article and you couldn't have chosen a nicer couple for the subject. Rex was my mentor when I was orange and it was a huge help to me when I didn’t have the first clue about what I was doing. Dec 04 and I remember wearing TT armor and trying to stretch 30 ped as far as I could. He politely came up to me and said “YOU’RE DOING IT WRONG” (I was) and everything seemed to get easier from there.

Thank you Rex for helping out a poor sniveling nub a long time ago.

Nice article Pinky, and worthy of a proper print magazine imo :)

And it's always good to read about players who are generous and helpful, to help boost your faith in the entropian race!

Really nice article and good reading... Many thanks ! Grats to the two Wednesday stars ;)

Mentoring is a part of EU I didn't explored much as back then it was way different to start in PE than now. I never crossed your path but I'm happy that many others did ^^

Interesting read.

I have a great deal of respect for those that selflessly aim to enrich the Entropia experience for other fellow participants. They are the true “ubers” in my eyes.

:tprun:

Glad everyone liked the article and thanks for the comments:).

I figured Rex and Onica would be a popular choice as so many people have been positivly influensed by the experience of meeting them, yet they are not as well known as they should be :)

GL with the future Rex & Onica!! (and go get that Hof!! :D)

Nice reading, nice couple :tiphat:

And aye is nice to play EU with your beloved :)

Rex is a good person, glad to see the founder of our society on the main page :)

How wonderful to see an article on my old friends Rex and Onica. It's fairly safe to say, if it weren't for those two, I myself would never have played EU for as long as I did.

I still remember back to the old nAn days when Rex was at the helm. Truely good times.

They've both been very good friends to me, and to a lot of other people, and definitely some of the best mentors around!

Grats Rex and Oni!

Glad everyone liked the article and thanks for the comments:).

I figured Rex and Onica would be a popular choice as so many people have been positivly influensed by the experience of meeting them, yet they are not as well known as they should be :)

GL with the future Rex & Onica!! (and go get that Hof!! :D)

Reps for you Pinky. That was a great story to reed. Have you ever thought to start a novel? Your righting is captivating. Job well done. I don't know rex and Onica. Hope that one day soon I'll meet them. Where does Rex fly from? (Where is his hangar located?)
:scratch2:

Nice interview Pinky.
Allways fun to know little background too ;)

Zap

Reps for you Pinky. That was a great story to reed. Have you ever thought to start a novel? Your righting is captivating. Job well done. I don't know rex and Onica. Hope that one day soon I'll meet them. Where does Rex fly from? (Where is his hangar located?)
:scratch2:

Aww thanks for the novel comment :ahh: I dont think it would be for me though - i have no patience! (plus after i write it, i get all the other reporters and 711 to play "spot the mistake" to make sure its ok, so alot of the credit should go to them!)

As far as where Rex flys from, I dont really want to turn this article into an advert for a business so i am not posting a link, but i am sure if you did a search for the word "fly" by the Entropia Forum user "rexdameon" you would find some information ;)

Thanks all for the very nice replies. And especially thanks to Pinky for the great article.

To add a little background that i forgot to tell Pinky back when we started "mentoring" we didn't have any Mentor System we just called it Newb Classes. And we used to do them like every satruday at Zychion. Thanks really needs to go to Roullette (you can see her in ATH crafting hofs),Skyrider and Ido who started me off in this Path. They where kind of my mentors and would "guess star" at these classes giving newbs some realy great tips.

I even have a picture of one i've kept.

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

You Can See Skyrider up teaching, Roullete sitting far right, I'm pretty sure thats Ido in the middle with the grey coat me beside him in warrior armour and Fairplay bottom Left.

Now that brings back some good memories.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the very nice replies. And especially thanks to Pinky for the great article.

To add a little background that i forgot to tell Pinky back when we started "mentoring" we didn't have any Mentor System we just called it Newb Classes. And we used to do them like every satruday at Zychion. Thanks really needs to go to Roullette (you can see her in ATH crafting hofs),Skyrider and Ido who started me off in this Path. They where kind of my mentors and would "guess star" at these classes giving newbs some realy great tips.

I even have a picture of one i've kept.

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

You Can See Skyrider up teaching, Roullete sitting far right, I'm pretty sure thats Ido in the middle with the grey coat me beside him in warrior armour and Fairplay bottom Left.

Now that brings back some good memories.

I remember those classes at Zychion its been over 3 years now i think ... They were an amazing initiative from nAn, Rex and the crew... I must say participating in them was somehow a turning point in my PE life... I liked those events so much that they inspired me to start the "Gaming University of Calypso" which for 2 years provided guidance and help to newcomers :) maybe some of you remember, maybe not, but we had lots of good times and fun giving out advice to newcomers. I made lots of friends in the society and i owe it all to Rex ;)

Thank you Rex
and my respects to Onica

Your Friend
Ido Sunrider

(and yes im in the foto in my Spiral Street Silent Shade jacket)

WTG Rex and Onica :)

And Pinky...great article. I'm glad these two finally get the recognition they so deserve! nAn was the first Soc I joined back in 2005 and I'm still in it. These two in my opinion are true PE/EU icons. True case of you don't have to have big skills to be Ubber :wtg:

And MA give Rex his HoF damn it!

Thank you for writing this article Pinky!

This is fun to see because I was just saying Hi to Rex yesterday on msn after not logging into PE or msn or here for a long time ( since i was banned for being a bad boy :D *waves to everyone* ). It was nice to see this article on Rex and Onica :)

I met them through Blondie what seems like ages ago in ( i think ) 2005 and have always enjoyed our chats. They are truly a class act.

Best of luck to both of you in life and pe.

-Mac

PS. I second Digit's demand for MA to give them their damn HOF already!!! I never realized this or I would have taken you up to the space station with Blondie and I and got you one :D

Last edited:
nice work there pinky!!
May b you can write one on me next time,, how my life sucks in real life, oh and in ENTROPIA. LMAO!

That was a great article,Pinky :).
Never met Rex and Onica,but hopefully I'll meet them sometime.They do seem like a very nice couple

Back