Skill values in freefall?

Norbert

Elite
There is a lot of discussion lately about item devaluation, but am i the only one noticing a great fall in mark ups on skills accross the board?

Approximate daily values from memory today

Geology-3.1k%, Perception-1.9k%, Dexterity-1.4k%, etc

These were from in game daily figures, but PEauction shows the same trends overall.

discuss:eek:

Here are some 1 year price graphs from PE auction to show what i mean, 1 year should show any seasonal change :-

Seems that esi have raised over the last year as well as skill values dropping.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

great time for buying skills I say :)

The fall has partly come as the price of esi's has dropped.

However we have certainly seen plenty of higher level players chipping out (some just partly). I'm not sure if this is intentional by MA (to get rid of the higher level (aka efficient) players. The feedback I am getting is that one reason for chipping down is the fact that most days the top 5 hofs are from atrox youngs, snablesnots or ambu youngs. Mobs that anyone with decent evade and HP can hunt without armour and barely fap.

great time for buying skills I say :)

The fall has partly come as the price of esi's has dropped.

However we have certainly seen plenty of higher level players chipping out (some just partly). I'm not sure if this is intentional by MA (to get rid of the higher level (aka efficient) players. The feedback I am getting is that one reason for chipping down is the fact that most days the top 5 hofs are from atrox youngs, snablesnots or ambu youngs. Mobs that anyone with decent evade and HP can hunt without armour and barely fap.

Actually esi have increased in price as you can see from the year period graph above.
I do agree that with higher level players chipping out now that the market can become glutted very easily, considering the vast amount of "free" skill that they were given with the skill changes.

The sky is falling! Chip in! Chip in! Chip in! :yay:

I don't know whether this is a certain indicative of ubers quitting their status and going back to a mid-level player status or just another after-effect of the economy status (Perhaps more want something back for their buck now that things will get harsher?), but I don't think it'll do that good on the longer term.

Yeah I noticed today my skills 'apparently' lost over 10% value... not sure if I buy that...

I think you are paying to much attention to the 'last sales' which can always happen when stupid people put an item up for very low SB

For a bad trading dollar vs US, these are normal expected values

Take Evade skil for example @ 6.6k%, for a currency that traded 1:1 a few months ago
For a currency that trades now 1:0.6, evade can be sold at (6.6-0.9)*.6+0.9 the price (4.3k%) for the same outcome if they were to withdraw those peds

The feedback I am getting is that one reason for chipping down is the fact that most days the top 5 hofs are from atrox youngs, snablesnots or ambu youngs. Mobs that anyone with decent evade and HP can hunt without armour and barely fap.

seems snabble's theory is growing in followers. :D

It's kinda logic imo, since you skill fast and hof high on a nooblevel, this universe is chasing away high levels and breeding skillfarmers. SIB takes the fun out of skilling since it's way more eco to buy your unlocks nowadays then to skill for them.

Its just mainly due to the amount of skills in auction. Much more players selling means prices lower. If one guy lists at 1950 the next will at 1925 and the next at 1900 for his to sell first. and it goes on and on like that dropping the prices. ESI are always approx 900-1100 or at least lately. as soon as a uber player cashes out skills the esi value bounces back up since he needs higher tt esi so he clears the auction of bigger esi.

Falling prices... its always a good thing for ppl who don't sell those things/skills that are getting cheaper..:D
Bubble is bursting??

i hate selling like a normall person! take my goods at market or buy now for over market! muahahaha!

but anyways.... if the sky is really falling - i hope your EU deposits were FDIC insured! :D

Ah, damn it!

Why does this happen when I have NO peds?!?!?

Oh, well, guess I wait for them to drop some more. ;)

Maybe I'll actually be able to get to commando one day. :D

"The sky is falling" :D no The sky is not falling down its only about the banks and what has happend no in the wold and i think lot off ppl need money just now.
I think the best thing to do just now is to buy more skills to your avatar when the prices is low because MA will only be bigger and bigger..

Ok.. I am femous to be angry at the bad loot and sure i still feel that the loot is bad but this is something else.:)

They have been in a free fall for the last 2 years or so, in case you haven't noticed :p

An item like this is generally going to take alot longer to find its EQ as there really isn't a whole lot of reselling, people who buy skills are going to consider them a bit more permanent so you don't see the skills themselves circulating around a whole lot.

Two possibilities:
More people are chipping out - increasing the supply
Fewer people are interested in buying - decreasing the demand

Personally I cannot understand why anyone would want to buy skills and thus miss out on the fun of acquiring them. After all the reason for playing the game is to enjoy the process of playing the game.
Anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to give me 1000 PED and their email address and I will send them an email saying "You have won!"

They have been in a free fall for the last 2 years or so, in case you haven't noticed :p

As one who had to chip out twice now in two and a half years of playing, plus sell off lots of items, including high end ones the first time, this I admit is something that baffles me, the tenacious way some insist that even if uber items fluctuate in value they will always go higher, and if all else fails skills remain a good long term investment. I wish I could borrow a pair of those rose coloured glasses in life at times. No offensive meant to anyone really, just I can't see the same thing myself no matter how hard I look.

Having said that though, yes, if I could afford it now I'd be chipping up like mad to get all of those skills back, not as an investment in any way, but for fun, for playtime, with the full knowledge the whole thing could go belly up any day and I'd have nothing to show for it.

the prices are not falling they are just returning to normal :)

I have always argued that the price of all skills will eventually fall to ESICost+x%, where x is an extremely low number.

I can't see anything stopping that unless MA take action.

MA have a tough decision to make or skill value will become an irrelevant part of the game.

I have always argued that the price of all skills will eventually fall to ESICost+x%, where x is an extremely low number.

I can't see anything stopping that unless MA take action.

MA have a tough decision to make or skill value will become an irrelevant part of the game.

I don't see why that should occur (under normal circumstances) as 10% is lost whenever anyone chips out and players under 3 months that quit typically don't have enough to make it worthwhile for them to do so after ESI cost is taken into consideration.

Markets in real life hate uncertainty and all we have been supplied recently by Mindark are "coming soons, and TBA" with a huge meltdown in the real world economy. Once things settle down the prices should stabilise.

Ah, but the answer to this ongoing trend is very simple:

Freefa(L)(L) - the cause ;)

There are also 3 other factors that will affect skill prices in the future - for the better or worse.

1. Further developments of the (L) system on Planet Calypso.

2.Success or failure of the "New planet" launch. (How many new players will be attracted, and usability of "Planet Calypso" generated skills over the whole Entropia Universe)

3. The future role of Chinese playerbase A.K.A "The Red Dragon Farming Corporation" in Entropia Universe.

As one who had to chip out twice now in two and a half years of playing, plus sell off lots of items, including high end ones the first time, this I admit is something that baffles me, the tenacious way some insist that even if uber items fluctuate in value they will always go higher, and if all else fails skills remain a good long term investment. I wish I could borrow a pair of those rose coloured glasses in life at times. No offensive meant to anyone really, just I can't see the same thing myself no matter how hard I look.

Having said that though, yes, if I could afford it now I'd be chipping up like mad to get all of those skills back, not as an investment in any way, but for fun, for playtime, with the full knowledge the whole thing could go belly up any day and I'd have nothing to show for it.

Personally I cannot understand why anyone would want to buy skills and thus miss out on the fun of acquiring them. After all the reason for playing the game is to enjoy the process of playing the game.
Anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to give me 1000 PED and their email address and I will send them an email saying "You have won!"
Totaly agrea, I'm one of then none chipers. I'll never chip neither in nor out anything.
So I say YOU have won, feel free to send me 1000 PED ;)

I don't see why that should occur (under normal circumstances) as 10% is lost whenever anyone chips out and players under 3 months that quit typically don't have enough to make it worthwhile for them to do so after ESI cost is taken into consideration.

Markets in real life hate uncertainty and all we have been supplied recently by Mindark are "coming soons, and TBA" with a huge meltdown in the real world economy. Once things settle down the prices should stabilise.

Fair points, Mega.

I don't think the 10% loss helps keep prices up as it is negligible. We are all skilling so much it really makes no difference.

As for the 3 month players - they are skilling up so little compared to the hardcore players I think their skills can be written off as irrelevant. I wouldn't be surprised if Neo and Avery (two "token hardcore players") are together putting on sellable skills (TT value) faster than the entire community at the Sweat Camp and Nea's put together when they are logged in.

I don't think a comparison to real life is too relevant, EU is fundamentally a MA dictatorship.

The total skill level of all players is simply increasing. Maybe only by say, 1% a week, but it is increasing and that will ultimately bring prices down.

Skills = speculative value.

Mining went down in price because you get nothing for extra skill.
I sold my mining skills twice in my EU time. And Im sure Im still able to hit the top of the board if I drop 10000 bombs next week. No need for skills. :laugh:

As goes for skills - they are cumulative and everyday there is more of those (unless someone chips out and TTs the implant). If one Skalman or alike decides to chip out - skills will be practically worthless (near or below ESI price).

I.

Maybe people just feel that skills are not giving them the gaming edge.. so if your skills are not giving you visible results at the level you are playing at, then you might want to sell them and play low level instead... just a thought...

I have said before , the 10% is not enought and MA will make it to 15 or 20% one day or an other .
Also , the chip is way too expensive.Reducing chip in and out and so make people stack up more.
Most of price is in the chip noy in skill , that wrong.

Also you have to add :
- bad economie in world
- change rate euro/$
- cryengine promisse that begin to be boring long and people lost patience
- no interessing VU for age due to cryengine dev
- new planet mess that afraid people
- price go down , so many people sell in hurry screaming sky is falling...

So yes , the bubble burst slownly , and finally its not a big crash , the soft slow down.
I think its not so bad , many item get again affordable.
And personally i am looking more to invest in some item that was "overpriced" for my use.and i will probably buy som skill.Its nice that som UL drop and many item get their price rebalanced buy player.
Many was just going up based only on "security" and not on actual real value based on efficiency.

people who gone will come back , and many people will come in some future.At least that how i see it.
Things will get better after cryengine get realised.

Right now , i just hope MA will come with some interessing VU.We need some new mobs,new clothe , some more melée fun weapon,many new L BP to make crafter cliking,new L stuff in loot, armor and so on ...

I see it like this.

Basically, there is no way the average player is going to afford the nice un(L) weapons, with their prices the way they are.

So, they play with the (L) stuff that is affordable.

And none of these require skills above level 40 really.

So, no incentive or requirement for people to skill past there.

Especially with the lower maturity mobs seemingly more likely to drop the big loots.

So, are treated over a certain level as "loot" to help cover costs and this gets sold as soon as there is enough to out on a chip.

I see it like this.

Basically, there is no way the average player is going to afford the nice un(L) weapons, with their prices the way they are.

So, they play with the (L) stuff that is affordable.

And none of these require skills above level 40 really.

So, no incentive or requirement for people to skill past there.

Especially with the lower maturity mobs seemingly more likely to drop the big loots.

So, are treated over a certain level as "loot" to help cover costs and this gets sold as soon as there is enough to out on a chip.
There is many skill you need for HP :)
But yes i agrea that the skill required for L item are a bit strange.
While i think weapon are way to low , fap are way too hight...
Also , most of weapon that require more than lvl 30/40 skill , are not avaible at normal price , they are all like 200% or more ... no point to skill for for a weapon that cost so much to use.

Here are some 1 year price graphs from PE auction (...)

My eyes... How about thumbnails? :eyecrazy:

Well, back on topic:
Also , the chip is way too expensive.(...)
Most of price is in the chip noy in skill , that wrong.

I totally agree.
I never understood why players were ready to pay such markups even for the possibility to transfer skills (I know, every rare item is expensive...).
It really should be about the skills, not the chips.

But this will be still no issue for me. I like my skills, and do not want the skills from others (all natural, I'm not in a rush). And actually I rather buy ammo than skills...

What goes up must come down :wise:

I like it, prices where/are insane the last 18 months.
(L) was introduced to fill the gap between midlevel and uber, and is something to rebalance the market. Slow but steady. And the ESI drop rate will rebalance even more the prices.

I hope MA has learned that it is to expensive to play on midlevel/highlevel for many players. It can't be the goal that a player needs several K's of $ to buy a decent armor, fap, gun.

Last edited:
Back