The Biggest Bug in History of EU?

Status

delerium

Old Alpha
You might think I made this story up, for sure I would think so. I can't prove it or at least I don't want to. Only MA can confirm it.

In this game, since I started playing it I was always an adventurous type. I enjoy exploring, experimenting. For this reason I many times tumbled onto a bug. Mostly it was useless and funny stuff. Until one day, about 2 years ago, my adventures turned into a shocking discovery.
I completely randomly discovered it is possible to create from every L amp an UL amp. First it happened at weapon amps. Of course I immediately thought on Limited mining amps, big mining amps and tried it with them as well. It worked. Not only it worked, they didn't even decay! I remembered about something I read, an UL OA-105, that was own by the all known squal. The value of his little toy was about 350k peds, if I remember correctly. And I could have an UL Non-decayable OA-109...also 108 and 107...and so on. I couldn't believe my own eyes. It was like wining the lottery.

For days I thought about what to do. Should I keep it to myself and get rich or immediately report this bug to MA. I was thinking about what might happen if a thing like this came into public, how it would affect the economy in the game, what kind of consequences might happen and so on. I even made some kind of calculation, in which I calculated, that if I would mine with the mentioned amp for 5-6 hours daily I would earn about 3000-5000 peds! Daily! I got scared.
Finally I decided to report the case on MA support. When the response came I was very surprised. They handed over my case to the design team (what a surprise) and after some time my case was closed. But the bug still existed. After that I made 2 more alerts to them for this bug and the potential danger of it. Not until then they requested for an exact procedure, a step by step guiding, how to produce this bug, how to create an UL AMP. After that they eliminated the bug, but it was easily to create it again after a little different procedure. I noticed MA about this too.

Some time has passed away and I was still able to actually use this bug. I said to myself: If it's not in their interest to eliminate this mistake and at the same time protect this game, it won't be in mine anymore. Otherwise, what can I do there? ...I left the thing as it was and tried to play as normal as I could, that means without using the bug. I mostly hunt. Once in a while, when I was really disappointed and angry about the bad hunting result, I admit, I helped myself with this bug to fill in the loss from the hunt. But I never ever abused it to fill in my pockets and so on.

After the VU10 release I was absolutely sure the bug was fixed because of the major change of the game. Well, the thing still worked.
Again I was standing in front of a huge decision. Should I use this bug to my benefit and buy for instance let's say LA? LA for free? ...it still sounds almost like a dream. Or after 3-4 failed support cases report the bug again to MA. I decided to do the same as before - to send another support case. Finally it happened. A few VU's back the bug has finally disappeared. The procedure which gave me the chance to have unlimited cash in EU has vanished.

Now I ask myself have I done the right thing. Would it be better if I kept my mouth shut and careless enjoyed playing my very best game ever? I don't know...

After 2 years of thinking what's right and what's wrong, my the most interesting adventure in EU has come to end with a reply from MA: "Thank you for trying to make Entropia Universe a better and fairer place to be."

Why have I shared my story with you? Simply for this reason because I would be very sorry it this story would remain silent.

Now I feel much better when I don't have to hold it in me anymore. :)

- Pozzo

EDIT: I will never give any clues about how the bug was used or created

EDIT2: this is not bug report thread - moderators moved it to this section ...I just wanted to share feelings and not to blame MA or anyone else and I'm not looking for any reward

Last edited:
as it doesn't exist anymore, maybe you can share what the bug was and how the exploit was used ?

You did the right thing by telling MA, pretty sure you knew that. I'm also pretty sure you knew that if you had abused it after your first few reports you would have ended up with a locked account.

Edit- I can see what JC said, and edited my question.

Last edited:
You found a way to cheat, but didn't, (at least not too much) and tried to make sure other didn't cheat either.

I'm cool with that. Good job. :)

However, keep in mind some folks will now try to get you to tell the secret, so they can try to tweak it and see if they can find a new version of that bug.

Moderator time: Even though this is about a now-fixed bug, I'm moving it to the bug reports section, as it's more appropriate than the General Discussion section.

as it doesn't exist anymore, maybe you can share what the bug was and how the exploit was used ?

I think that's what a lot of people will be asking that now :) I'm interested as well, care to share?

Buying UL amps @ boxes

U do have an extraordinary imagination. I almost believe it but then I remebered about the "UL" amps you used on so many Apis. The bug is still on for hunters.:D

Did you ever stop to think maybe it was MA smiling down on you and giving you the opportunity to become uber as so many did years ago exploiting bugs?

screen shot or it didn't happen :)

just a screenshot of the unlimited oa 109!

:D You are 5 days too early, but +rep for the effort. It was a fun read.

From now on I'm in DEFCON 1. Not a single April's fool joker will get me. :laugh:

It's going to be very hard this year since we are all expecting all kind of new things to come in the near future.

Who turned forward the date?

:D You are 5 days too early, but +rep for the effort. It was a fun read.

From now on I'm in DEFCON 1. Not a single April's fool joker will get me. :laugh:

It's going to be very hard this year since we are all expecting all kind of new things to come in the near future.

It was a fun read :) I would have fallen for it if it was on the right day :laugh:

I'm curious did you make an UL cersion of an L amp that doesn't exist? e.g. BCC? if so wouldn't these and the ul109 amp you made would they not appear in the discoveries section?

Im sorry to say ..

If this is true and you DID use the exploit for even a short time to recover a few ped....

MA you guys read this!!! Lock that account for exploiting!!

Dont care if you took a pec or a meelion ped stealing is stealing.. If this is a joke thread maybe a lock for a while till its all sorted will make you think twice that crime is funny in any shape or form.

But happy April fools day.... Fool

Im sorry to say ..

If this is true and you DID use the exploit for even a short time to recover a few ped....

Dont care if you took a pec or a meelion ped stealing is stealing.. If this is a joke thread maybe a lock for a while till its all sorted will make you think twice that crime is funny in any shape or form.

MA knew about this a lot earlier than you. And I already admited that to them. So if I get locked it is justified.

And thanks for calling me a fool.

Im sorry to say ..

I know that nearly ANYONE here would have tested this thing to a certain level and then, when becoming scared (of all the PEDs), going to report it.

Count me in as well. I got a "kthxbye" in past as well, for a very evil thing I expirienced in Entropia. No reward for me from MA. Like Delerium. Gratz2me as I was sure, doing a good thing.

For sure you could always phone MindArk on such matter, but having sent a support ticket already puts you on the safe side. (one should think)
I dont play for a very long time now, as Entropia does not go into the direction that I thought it would go.

Cloned modfaps and coats anyone ? I heard there are still people playing with these items. And they did not report themselfs. ;p

Undecaying melee on NPCs anyone ? ANYONE ? xD

MA knew about this a lot earlier than you. And I already admited that to them. So if I get locked it is justified.

And thanks for calling me a fool.

I know Delerium since 2004 and hes not somone with a shady background or as already mentioned, somone "to fill his pockets".

Anyway, maybe re-read my 1st phrase now...

Yes, I do.

same here. MA has rewarded people for reporting far less significant bugs in the past. you could have potentially dumped the entire economy by selling modified items or releasing the info. simply dont believe that they would ignore that.

Just insane !

If u realy discovert this bug and supported it to MA i think u ateast should get a big reward !

This kind of bug could crash the entire economi on calypso.

Stil it sounds to crazy to be true :)

Mari *.*
:kos:

Edit: i have reasons to believe in this story

Last edited:
If this is true it was wrong to post it here, if its a lie it was wrong to post it here.

Just insane !

If u realy discovert this bug and supported it to MA i think u ateast should get a big reward !

Mari *.*

he already used it to profit, only thing that is deserved is repayment of what he took from the game.

"I'm just gonna use it to recover my losses" I have nothing with in the rules to say to that.

same here. MA has rewarded people for reporting far less significant bugs in the past. you could have potentially dumped the entire economy by selling modified items or releasing the info. simply dont believe that they would ignore that.

I did not get rewarded either. (reported a working speedhack, even explained what was done) But days later the "bad" avatar was gone at least.

Just insane !

Mari *.*

It always seem to depend on WHO worked on the support case...

And yes, these arent peanuts...

So... You must have TT'ed a lot of UL uber amps. :eyecrazy:

Sure you didn't keep one "as a souvenir"? Or did MA take them?

Kinda weird you made such a long post, with lots of detail and history, and never mention what happened to the many uber amps you produced, which should be worth MILLIONS. Makes the story less believable.

So... You must have TT'ed a lot of UL uber amps. :eyecrazy:

Sure you didn't keep one "as a souvenir"? Or did MA take them?

Kinda weird you made such a long post, with lots of detail and history, and never mention what happened to the many uber amps you produced, which should be worth MILLIONS. Makes the story less believable.

i infer from the story the claim is he found a way to make L items not decay. why only amps? why only L? too unlikly.

billy bug was fun :D

did you get a reward ?

If this story is true, the gz for reporting it - if you were totaly honest with support about using the items in question, then gz to you for being honest about that as well - I certainly can't say I wouldn't have used them for a bit before deciding what to do - I can't say either way without being presented with the option.

If this is a load of bull... then -rep to you - but for some odd reason, I believe you.

IF its true, take this secret to the grave - no one needs to know how it was done except MA/FPC. Or me of course. LOL

And I would never tell anyone... promise ;)

Either way it was a good read... oh imagine the freedom.... lol

Status
Back