Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Drake Slade Corbett
    Society
    Sol Imperium Citizens Korps
    Images

Thumbs Up

Hmmmmm....Next Island left abandoned, planet smashes ("merges") and becomes a huge island on Calypso hehe

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Wand AxeMurderer Silva
    Society
    Massive Dynamic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NevadaJake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmmmm....Next Island left abandoned, planet smashes ("merges") and becomes a huge island on Calypso hehe
    me like it, but we must place fence so all the monkeys don't invade the rest of Calypso.
    or may be in the one side of Calypso make museum of failed planets and place all there

The "Fifth" Entity
    Society
    The Ministry
    Blog Entries
    Images

What's the problem with NI?

NI hasn't got any updates for ages, but there's as good as no progress with other PP's either.

Ok, there's a problem with non-existent economy, the AU is as good as dead and there's lot of problems with BP's (poorly balanced, problems with availability of ingredients, etc). Result - u have to TT planet-specific/low-MU stuff and export the rest to Caly. Not good, i agree. Then again, isn't it the same on every new planet..?

In fact NI doesn't stand out as considerably worse--and this is a serious problem indeed!

Just go to NI today and look at this "long dead" planet--it still beats every other planet hands down with it's superior 3D design and artwork. A perfect holiday destination, and luckily there's no danger somebody will spoil all this untouched beauty with inadequate updates... like with the most acclaimed Ark where every new mob looks more and more like childish rubber toy
    ► Fifth's

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Ignitor il Lavashna
    Society
    UPC
    Blog Entries
    Images
    why buy a moon if you can buy a planet? - me thinks..
    Vive la Resistance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Eriksson|MA - Balancing Manager
    I'm listening.

Prowler
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    bigdaddy longhairedlover trim
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by il View Post
    why buy a moon if you can buy a planet? - me thinks..
    Because you have to get your Dev team, with the moon you i belive its MA who is doing all that work or is it Caly dev team?

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Rob Menace Klok
    Society
    SECRET
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Futurama View Post
    Yeah, and NI failure has 0 correlation with Neverdie, because he must be the best game developer available. Both RT and NI have been poorly designed from the start (although with years RT is showing at least some minimal progress) and with huge delays and no decent content updates. On the other hand Arkadia - which has professional staff and experience - have done 100 times more and better than ND.
    Your hardon for NEVERDIE isn't offering anything to this thread. NI failing has NOTHING to do with who designed the planet. NI failing has EVERYTHING to do with David Post dropping the ball because it was too much work for him. I'm getting so sick and tired of you fucking noobs mouthing off about NEVERDIE every god damn chance you get and for what??? Because you're fucking jeleaus of the guy! Polluting thread after thread after thread with your bullshit vendettas against a developer is just pointless. Each one of us who read your post had 15 seconds of our lives completely WASTED.

Grow the fuck up and offer something a little more worthwhile to the conversation... otherwise.... scram!

Menace
    Quote Originally Posted by neomaven View Post

If MA wants significant investment in this virtual universe, they need to foster a fair environment.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Gradinaru Starcollector Mihai
    Society
    The Knigths of Entropia
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifth View Post
    Just go to NI today and look at this "long dead" planet--it still beats every other planet hands down with it's superior 3D design and artwork. A perfect holiday destination, and luckily there's no danger somebody will spoil all this untouched beauty with inadequate updates... like with the most acclaimed Ark where every new mob looks more and more like childish rubber toy
    NI and RT artwork is NEVERDIE'S studios artwork...but like he said when RT and NI lunched PP couldn't develop the blueprints....(was MA job) ....was not a PP fault how much was MA fault......and I other big question why SEE gived back to MA the Calypso??? Or who are PP of Calypso now...the players(60000 CLD *100$=6000000$)!?!

Note:Read on MA website(www.mindark.com) at Planet Partners...is exactly the date when MA takes back Calypso...and then they sell to us

Wangxiang WangXiang Tuxing
    Society
    Knights of Entropia
    Images
    In my opinion, with both RT and NI, we have to deal primarily with management issues, and not development issues.

"A bad workman always blames his tools."
    Last edited by WangXiang; 06-07-2013 at 11:26.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    mike Futurama anderson
    Society
    Freelance
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace View Post
    Your hardon for NEVERDIE isn't offering anything to this thread. NI failing has NOTHING to do with who designed the planet. NI failing has EVERYTHING to do with David Post dropping the ball because it was too much work for him. I'm getting so sick and tired of you fucking noobs mouthing off about NEVERDIE every god damn chance you get and for what??? Because you're fucking jeleaus of the guy! Polluting thread after thread after thread with your bullshit vendettas against a developer is just pointless. Each one of us who read your post had 15 seconds of our lives completely WASTED.

Grow the fuck up and offer something a little more worthwhile to the conversation... otherwise.... scram!

Menace
    Ofc its Davids fault too, he was top ambitious amd maybe maive too. About ND im just looking at the facts that both Ni and Rt were very poorly designed at start and took them really a lot of time to actually start offering something.

Oni
    Society
    Skillin' Villains
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathifier View Post
    A Planet Partner does need to bring in and keep new players to be considered successful however don't overlook the value that well-run alternatives to Calypso contribute to the universe overall.

Particularly for longer term players there is great benefit to providing them new environments to explore and experiences to participate in even if they treat it as more of a holiday before returning to their preferred planet.

After all an existing player may well generate some revenue for MindArk however that revenue may not be a whole lot if all they do is sit around and chat (or not login at all) due to disinterest in or disillusionment with Calypso.

An active planet, even if using mostly existing players, also creates business opportunities in the areas of transport and space activity which, in turn, effectively justifies the cost to develop and maintain space.
    My concerns about the PP idea are/were:

(i) Would it really add diversity to gameplay, or would all the man-hours that get put into it just result in some different looking environments to play the same game in?

I felt basically that it sounded a bit like a glorifed level-designer. I remember enjoying custom-made maps/games designed by 3rd parties when playing Civilization back in the day. It was fun for a while, but essentially I was playing them because I was getting bored with the gameplay. And since they didn't add anything fundamental to the gameplay I quickly tired of the them too.

So far I haven't really seen much that has really added to the gameplay. Sure, treasure hunting is nice, but it's still mining. And competition between planets has maybe improved and diversified official events. And stuff like instances, vehicles, boss mobs, etc, are all nice additions that may have been influenced by PP's ideas. But none of that is particularly ground-breaking stuff, and you'd hope if MA had not gone down the PP route they'd have come up with new content like that themselves.

---

(ii) Would it result in the feel and atmosphere of the game losing cohesion?

I know we're supposed to see each planet as a separate game, with a separate story. I try to, but ultimately all I see is a big mess. What's worse, is even Calypso has been affected with items flooding in from other planets that don't fit in with Calypso's background, the Calypso map getting a horrible square-grid layout, previously nicely designed cities turning into places built from drag-and-drop blocks, etc.

In truth it all makes me wish I'd spent more time playing Eve.

---

(iii) Would PP's really be able to attract players who wouldn't have otherwise joined?

I don't have the figures, but I just don't see how they can do. So far the only Planet that seems to have had a moderate amount of success is Arkadia and I really struggle to see how that appeals to a different market to Calypso.

---

I know it's too late to go down another road now, so I do hope the PPs succeed in the end. But I do feel the only way that can be said to have happened is when they start bringing in a substantial new market. For all the alternate environments and holidays they may offer existing players, I think existing players would have been better served by the universe being developed on one coherent front. We could still have had Space, and planets (Akbal-Cimi anyone?) and holiday destinations (like CND/CP are/used to be).

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox; what is, is. Not really disagreeing with what you said.
    Last edited by Jimmy B; 06-07-2013 at 13:23.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast