Are you or I a loser because we deposit?

LeWolf86

Stalker
Society
Tax Collectors
Garrett MrEarth Clark
Title says it all....

Im just curious because reading the rebalancing loot/leechers thread.... I see a certain someone classifying those who deposit as losers....

And anyone who doesn't deposit as winners (which Ill agree with)

Im just curious if you as a depositer consider yourself a loser?

And on a side note to how many non depositers read this thread.... how long did you spend growing your ped card? How restricted was your game play? How big is your PED card after how long?

I would say yes, but where's the poll? ;)

It takes all sorts to make this economy work :)

At the moment, it could do with more depositors. The more of them about the more successful the game will be.

The more depositors there are the more peds there are in the system to share as loot after the operating and development costs have been taken out of the equation.

Well.... if you gamble your money and you come back with less than you've originally gambled... then yes.... you're a loser.

So yep.... I'm a loser. Gambled about 10k U.S. in 2 yrs and lost ALL OF IT. Never again will I "lose" however..... I've figured out how to use my credit cards elsewhere. :yay:

And on a side note to how many non depositers read this thread.... how long did you spend growing your ped card? How restricted was your game play? How big is your PED card after how long?

I'm almost exactly 2 years in game.

Was a very small scale depositor during the first year, maybe a total of $200. Hunting all the time but only on small mobs, max mob/size Caud Alpha

During second year, no depoing at all. Switched from small time hunting to small time mining. Mining is where my PED growth came in. Hit a 800 pedder, all loots seemed to die out so I took a few month break, came back at 10.0 with about 600 ped continued mining and got good returns and ultimately a 3700 ped lyst and with enough decent finds to maintain (til about mid December where the loot cycle took a crap again so settled now at about 2500 ped in cash and prizes atm).

I continue to hunt a little, but for me it has to be limited as it is almost always loss. Costs to be profitable hunting as I see it are out of my range. Possibly with continued mining profitability I could grow into hunting at a higher level if I were interested in that in the future

Didn't see that post, but tell the guy from me to fuck off, seriously.
May sound a bit harsh, but my minor and honest opinion about this topic.

Folks that say that simply don't understand the concept of "commerce".

A non-depositor selling sweat to a depositing player who buys it to fuel his TP chip is a win-win, not a win-lose situation.

My first month in game I spent sweating to get enough PED to start a bit of trading, following that I traded for 5-6 months to get to around 6k PED. Once I started hunting I was swunting, did this for around a year with slow steady gains. It was slow and tedious, if I had it to do over again I would deposit, but without the knowledge I gained while trading/swunting, I would probably lose the deposit quickly. At this point I do not sweat/swunt, I just mine/hunt, no longer feel restricted and IMO I have some really nice gear for my level. I don't know how much my avatar's worth now, between the skills, gear/material's TT and markups, it's 10s of k PED.

I came into EU thinking "it's a game, play it don't pay it", I've played several other MMOs and they were all a long tedious grind, no shortcuts in those games so I figured why take any here (by depositting).

I don't feel that I am a winner and depositors are losers, we're all winners. Without depositors, it wouldn't have been possible for me to get where I am, my hat's off to them.:tiphat:

"Loser" in what sense? Perhaps a lot of depositors lose a lot of ped, but "loser" as an insult? Since depositors are the Glue that holds the universe together, I'd definitely not be insulting them for depositing.
As to growing ped card, first 2 years or so I was learning about earning. Now I can actually play as a mid level player (many of which deposit regularly) without depositing - but those first 2 years were probably the most boring 2 years of "gaming" I'd ever done.

There is no way for someone to differentiate between a winner and a loser, solely on if they deposit or not. A lot more details goes into making such a statement.

If you deposit more than you should based on your budget and your real life suffers because you're putting too much money into a video game - yes.

If you deposit and you do it responsibly - no.

I think we all 'lose' in EU, though.

But, I don't think someone's a loser based solely on their depositing habits.

I think if anyone was to make such a judgment, it would say more about them as a person, than the depositer.

When did we all become so concerned with what everyone else puts into the game .. why not just play for yourself and be happy. :rolleyes:

[edited]

When did we all become so concerned with what everyone else puts into the game .. why not just play for yourself and be happy. :rolleyes:

Smart non depositors are always concerned about what everyone else puts in - as a non depositor can not stay afloat for long without depositors...
Ultimately I bow down to OA-101 crafters as the saviors of the universe.

If there were no depositors, there would be no game. ;)

Smart non depositors are always concerned about what everyone else puts in

I would have beg to differ with that statement. I know many smart non-depositors as well as depositors who don't give two shits less about what everyone else is putting into the game. :wise:

some people like to just play for fun .. go figure.

Considering someone a "loser" because they deposit really shows a narrow view of EU in general IMO.

In my time here I've deposited, played extended periods without deposting, and withdrawn money. Its part of what this whole EU experience is all about IMHO. The ability to choose what to spend and when to spend is what will always make EU great. Im not forced to spend anything this month and can continue to play if I so wish.

Honestly and I said part of this in that thread, no one style of play is any better than another. We do however want acknowledgement for our accomplishments and some just choose to share them, others stay quiet, and others can't help but tear everyone else down to make themselves feel better.

Im a loser :yay::yay::yay:

Amen to that same here :p.... I had mind set of a few people also... play the game dont pay the game...

To bad I learned pretty quickly if I want to have even the slightest bit of fun... Ill need to stop sweating because that was claw my eyes out boring....

Depoed a bit, played a bit... lost original small depos pretty fast :D...

Went into trading, grew and now Im trying to grow in skills and keep a balanced PED card :D

Yes. I both deposited and also have 1,5 year of hardcore hunting non depositing. Before discovering crafting :D

Buut. Every depositor is a loser beforehand because the simple posibility of sweating 100$ which can be withdrawn generates an implied suplimentary pressure on depositors.

Of course, I am speaking about my view on some concept, not about the moral quality of somebody.

From other point of view, judging the manifest behavior of MindArk and some of their measures, I was actually plain stupid to deposit in certain moments.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo....

To answer your question...

When i've started i've got plenty of time, so made some nice amount of peds via sweating and started to mine (and all loses eventualy were covered again with re-sweating). Created new avatar(old one was closed down on my request, didnt liked name nor look). And kept sweating and mining with it. Two weeks after new ava creation or so, not entirely sure i've got my HOF and i guess i've made my indepedence.

Guess i could try continue that way, but (un)fortunetly ? got too busy with work and some other interests and didn't wanted sweat or trade for items and stuff i wanted "right here, right now". Thus i've started deposit.

So... i guess i am loser, right ?.:D:scratch2::yay:
...and so what... gotta agree with the Shaodwmage in 6th topic reply.

Last edited:
Yep, I fell like a looser, some say that EU is free and we all can make profit without depositing, I must be a looser.. :yup:

A looser is someone who lives off someone else his money...

Srry non depo pll :p U rock :lolup:

This would mean anyone who's ever sold anything for any sort of markup? :scratch2:

Nah u know what i mean ;)

Non depositors, is ppl who never deposited a single dime, these r rare :)

Damn...

Lets turn it around :/

Sweating 8 hours a day, r u crazy???

Standing at auction all day, real fun..

Im glad there was a 200 cap on sweating when i started so i could depo some :)

Last edited:
Just a quick note on people who say we need alot more depositors, the unintended consequences of this is inflation. And while I don't think more depositors bad, There are negative reactions as well as positive ones that you should keep in mind.

Just a quick note on people who say we need alot more depositors, the unintended consequences of this is inflation. And while I don't think more depositors bad, There are negative reactions as well as positive ones that you should keep in mind.

not a horrible point.

but bare in mind that how other games keep the cost per player low is by drawing their profits from a much larger base than this one has...

I don't think inflation would happen on common items even with 10x the players/money in the economy... there are certain checks in place (like an easily craftable p5a, ghost...etc...

I also wouldn't shed too many tears to see my vigi sell for + 2000
_______

while i question the logic of spending 9 hours on something 10 bucks would solve, I have the utmost respect for people who are actually successful as non depo in this game... it's a hard goal and those who achieve their goals can in no way be construed as losers...

I'm a depositer. I lose my transaction fees, only. The rest i spend as i please.

Nah, not really. I depo to use a entertainment the way I want, which is
sadly not the way MA want to be a successful way... :D
But I must say I'm quite tired of some who think they are sooo good just
because they don't have to depo. Nice for them, but they have a way to
have fun that fits MAs way to be successful.
Some are obvious not up in ladder high enough so they have hit the
really bad cycles yet. Some that are sooo good today gonna get pretty
pissed when they do hit the terrible parts in some cycles... ;)

If I want to make money I do that irl at a job, and then I use EU to get
away from all shit related to that rl job.

But lately, I'm quite tired of how depositers are seen.
MA don't give a shit, some players don't give a shit, so I have decided to
not depo for a while. Interesting to see what would happen if 60-70%
of all depositers did same thing.
Do you think we should see some changes in future after that? ;)

untitled_562881.jpg

Call me crazy :eyecrazy:

:sweat:

But lately, I'm quite tired of how depositers are seen.
MA don't give a shit, some players don't give a shit, so I have decided to
not depo for a while. Interesting to see what would happen if 60-70%
of all depositers did same thing.
Do you think we should see some changes in future after that? ;)

I'm with you. Who else will join us?

Back