Are you so dissapointed by Xfire that you will delete it ?

• Total voters
Im very dissapointed
first that Chatteox just didtn keep his time - cose he should been online an hour before
then i was waiting til 15 minutes after chat started and send him a PM to join me - as i know mine friends did this and i works for them
so i was kicked from his fl lol
so what the point with selection and sending of that stupid email "congratulations you were selected...bla bla.." my ass!

Just lack a profesionalism - MA should better check their parners - theye're mora paries that couls provide such chat way better evan without prizes !

As a finish xfire landed is a bin as any other useles tool - no mater if thanx to their hardwere or their human stuff.

Yup - I'm disappointed too .. and freaking mad tbh ...

And I agree MA should check their partners first - but they could not know it would be screwed! I see this as being an x-fire fault and not MA's .. this time ;)

The concept of the chat was great, the execution not so great.
X-Fire should have expected such a huge turnout for two simple reasons:

a) They sent out X hundred invites.
b) Entropians ALWAYS flock to chats if they know about them. I have seen this at every chat I've been too.

Of course MA might not have warned X-fire about part B. This would be unfortunate though not the first time they let one of their partners down (check out New Oxford and the Entropian mag for some others).

Unfortunately because there were so many people (partly a good thing - shows EU is actually growing), and the question asking process was worse than twin/PA spam amplified by a few orders of magnitude, a lot of good questions were buried under requests for what we already knew through one source of another.

This let MA cherrypick easy and 'flashy' questions about how fancy CryEngine 2 will be (take a look at Crysis), how well CryEngine will run (take a look at Crysis), status on unfinished parts of EU (still unfinished, will be unfinished for a while, like after CryEngine gets here), how EU matches MA's vision (EU is a long-term thing and MA is crawling along) and so on.

None of those really help the average player battle problems like the EU servers disconnecting entire regions on a whim, the lack of quality control in development (VU 9.2 - broke the item sorting system in inventory and storage, and broke some audio - both discovered within 5 minutes of me and one other person logging in), or the rather pervasive presense of multi-avatar players who scam, bot and manipulate auction to the detriment of the honest people (something which has been going on for a long, long time).

Sure it's nice to hear about the future - I quite like the look of CryEngine and hope that MA does a good job implementing it, but it doesn't get answers to tricky issues we have to deal with now and will have to deal with after CryEngine and beyond unless MA does something about them.

Bye,
Deathifier

Nothing to do with xfire :(
mnay friends in my list but only use 1 time for the first time.

I'm going to remove it.
it get some memory from my computer :mad:

This let MA cherrypick easy and 'flashy' questions about how fancy CryEngine 2 will be (take a look at Crysis), how well CryEngine will run (take a look at Crysis), status on unfinished parts of EU (still unfinished, will be unfinished for a while, like after CryEngine gets here), how EU matches MA's vision (EU is a long-term thing and MA is crawling along) and so on.

Im would like to know if it was actually MindArk picking the questions, or just the Chatteox character. It would seem to me that Chatteox was monitoring the Questions-room for "suitable" questions, while the actual MindArk team probably only had the Command Central window running, at least according to the invitiation email which stated "We will monitor this room (Questions) and cut and paste the best questions for the dev team to answer.".

Im curious to if the person behind Chatteox have... Well, at least some kind of experience of EU or just had a crash coarse before the chat. I would much rather see an experienced player (or group of players) be the one(s) picking out the questions to be answered.
Even if it will be biased it at least it will be more interesting and representing for the community (a community quite apperantly aching for answers to alot of basic questions).

Btw, was I the only one missing Magnus Eriksson (Release Director) in the chat? He was announced to participate, but I couldnt see anything written by him (including greeting).

Btw, was I the only one missing Magnus Eriksson (Release Director) in the chat? He was announced to participate, but I couldnt see anything written by him (including greeting).

maybe he crashed too .. or got deleted by that Chatteox-thing :dunno:

I never installed it, so I don´t have to delete it ;)

Damn X-fire sucks, I really don´t need that and don´t want to waste my resources.

its now 10:54 here.. a day later and still no feedback on the gigantic fiasco.
They got to keep feeding the community, people are not stupid and the average age in Entropia is mature. Time to stop treating players as kiddo's and speak up.

If someone treat me irl like this shit they really got a problem with me.. the feeling of being un-powered really makes me want to smack their asses

Not too bad ....

I never saw my email invite until 15-20 mins before the start of the chat, although I was past the deadline to add the guy to my F/L, I sent it anyway ..... I got added within 5 mins, then invited into a room, then Xfire 'hung'.... did a 3 finger salute'(ctrl-alt-del)...... ended Xfire, restarted Xfire, re-entered the room ... got invited to the other rooms too, everything was OK ... apart from the minor hiccup at the start, it seemed fine to me .... so, I'll keep it for a while yet.

Aside from xfire being shit and yes I do strongly claim that there are a LOT of problems with xfire not just that (downright hilarious and almost unbelievable) fact that it can't handle 200 users in one chat room (HOW did thay not know this?? - they have hosted big chats before it says so on their website something about an independant games producers chat), I'm starting to wonder if the chat model works for MA.

There is too little communication for them to use such an open medium. Its like IRL during a mass demonstration a Prime Minister getting up and trying to address the entire mob. Doesn't work. Better to get representatives from those demonstrating round for tea and coffee.

MA have already selected a bunch of "Ambassadors" who clearly know their shit. Why don't they use them?

I'll probably get ignored but I recon a far better idea would be for someone to start a thread here on EF for questions to ask MA on a certain date. The Ambassadors then have the arduous task of picking the best... I dunno 50? and presenting them to MindArk at the appropriate time.

The Ambassadors are not muppets (I hope) and would make sure no daft questions go though for example like:

"when will vehicles arrive"

In this case anyone who has been around any length of time knows you might as well ask whats in the egg (in seriousness that is - comedy egg questions are fine) than expect to get a date on vehicles.

Just my thoughts - (that sound worryingly like politics)

Wistrel

Well spoken Wistrel

I surely hope 711 tells MA about these bad treads about X-Fire
The users take it seriously I hope they will to. And im rather curious about what X-Fire has to say about this fiasco.
Either they say it was a big success blah blah blah and some more lies
or They admit they have made terrible mistakes which I doubt

(For those who don't like whining as well as me, Ill pre-protect myself from bs;p I am angry not whining. and yes colors long vanished, its all black and white now)

Thanks... (nice to be noticed)

it just occurred really that it might be a good idea although it does sound alarmingly like politics...

However that said Marco has always shown great enthusiasm for the idea of politics in entropia so maybe if I PM'd him the idea or made a general thread suggesting it to get a community reaction?

Under my current supposition though we would effectively be accepting representation under a body of individuals selected by MA (who may not have even asked for it). I'm not sure how well that would go down but I can't think of any way representatives could be elected that wouldn't be corrupt (or at least less corrupt than having MA pick them).

Jeepers this really IS sounding like politics now

Wist

Same 'vote' here, never bothered.
the same for me too, it's like the VU's, i never hunt/mine/craft the 3days after the setup. Just to see what are the issues given by other players ;)

so xfire the same, never installed it and then after looking this thread it's not going to be done :D

OMG! and now we all have Berets??? hahaha :lolup:

i asked why people were left out from the chat
marcooo.jpg

well i managed to get in all three rooms ... unfortunately not at the same time ...

the unofficial chat room was late, but i can understand that due to a high number of personal invites. i'm shocked though this process wasn't even a minimum automated. then i was even more shocked that my complete pc was freezing up :s seems xfire also can't handle 2 or more chatrooms at the same time which have +200users. at a certain point i had invitations for central command room several times lol.

i closed the other rooms and concentrated on the question room, which was shooting out about 500questions/minute. some spamming the same question, others formulating their questions in the length of books and others just asking plainly ridiculous stuff. Since no one could read anything here, the same questions were repeated way too many times. The idea and setup was good, unfortunately the xfire tool failed here again.

after some time i quitted question room and relogged to central command only to read that the chat was over already. some notice of this in other rooms would have been nice but i guess chatteox must have been busy ... (watching pr0n ?)

I won't delete xfire, as it has other uses also but i'm quite dissapointed in it's - imo highly overrated - functionality regarding to the chat system.

No !!! I anticipated problems so I never installed it in first place :yay:

If xfire was the only voice chat product out there it wouldn't be so bad after all. But compared to other products similar to it, it isn't very impressing. I'll stick to teamspeak which works very well for me.

EDIT: I didn't myself experience this mindark - xfire chat session. But from what I hear it was a disaster. I didn't even get invited so I didn't know about it. No biggie since it was a total faliure, but if you're a long term well paying costumer an invitation would have been a nice gesture.

Last edited:

The problem with the statement from Marco in that chat box though, is that (like i mentioned before) we, as a community, are so obviously craving answers.

We have since the beginning of Project: Entropia settled with basically crumbs. With insinuations. Speculations. Conspiracies. Smileys. TFMTKAFYTFO's. Vague ideas. Concepts. Hopes & Wishes.
Im not complaning about that in particular, it's a part of what kept alot of people going; the feeling of figuring out stuff yourself, and it's given a strong sense of "we against mindark" for the community.

But somewhere, of course we want answers. We are drawn like moths to a lolipop to every chance of answers we get. OF COURSE alot of people will jump at the chance at asking the developers and representatives questions.

Saying that it was Xfire's gig, that they were merely guests, feels like a cheap escape. I understand alot of the difficulties are ofc not on MindArks responsibility, but the fact of the matter is:

They know how much interest a Q&A-chat will have, based on history.

They know that alot of people will sacrifice alot for being able to participate, rearranging irl-schedules, taking the day off from work, spend time and effort on creating good questions.

They chose to setup a live chat with a software they mustn't have stress tested for them selves. Quite obviously.

They chose to rely on Chatteox (whoever that is) to pick out questions representing all the participants. I guess.

They spent ~4-8 of their work hours on a failure, hours that I think alot of us will agree would have been better spent reading through a compilation of questions, and then answering them. They would probably have covered all of the questions that were being asked if this had been the case, tbh.

I have trouble seeing why they dont exploit this great resource their community make out. There are SO many people here who willingly spend their own free time on practically working for free for them. Im convinced alot of people would jump at the opportunity to make their chat more efficient by different means. Why not use THAT, instead of spending the few hours of answering we as a community get, in X-fire?

We dont care about X-fire. We dont care about the raffled prizes. We dont care about seeing NN|MindArk online in the same chat as we. We dont need you live, we just need you to acknowledge that we as a community 1) exists and 2) deserve to be answered. You didnt do that yesterday.

Im would like to know if it was actually MindArk picking the questions, or just the Chatteox character. It would seem to me that Chatteox was monitoring the Questions-room for "suitable" questions, while the actual MindArk team probably only had the Command Central window running, at least according to the invitiation email which stated "We will monitor this room (Questions) and cut and paste the best questions for the dev team to answer.".

What usually happens is that if the dev's don't pick their own Q's the mods hosting the chat pick questions out and present them privately to the dev's.
The dev's then decide to answer or skip.

Sometimes they answer in the wrong chat channel ;)

I would say Chatteox and any other mods present were given instructions on the types, length, interest, and so on of questions that they would like to answer.

There is nothing particularly wrong with this approach actually (someone has to pick the Q's and you can't force MA to answer), however you don't often see really tough questions answered and the amount of 'new' info is typically quite small as a result.

On the other hand it could have been like a previous chat where more than half of MA's answers were the equivalent of "can't answer, secret" - that's what happens when you ask questions to the balancing/release manager (Magnus), so it is probably for the better that he was not there :)

- Deathifier

I won't uninstall Xfire. I actually use it (screen shots and the such) and it reminds me daily of the games installed on my PC that I ignore while play EU.

Yeah I was disappointed by the chat and maybe MA will take some initiative and answer some of the questions which did not get answered or got lost in the flood in the question chat box if that is even possible.

I think the raffle prizes should have been kept secret, doing that might have stopped some of the spamming in the question channel.

I also think instead of spamming a chat channel Xfire might have done better asking each participant to submit five or so questions before the chat and they could have better compiled a list for the MA crew. Then when questions were answered we could have an actual chat about it with the developers. With the amount of people who showed up with a variety of questions and limited time it turned into a free for all and it seemed like only a minimum of questions got asked and answered.

I have screen shots of the whole chat (20 or so overlapping + the winners of the raffle) I can post them here if people like. I was planning on making a list of what was asked and answered but that will take some time.

I myself voted yes but now im in doubth as im sure that it will do PE good if they place us high on rank ....

All this fuss over such a small thing can be solved by not installing it in the first place ;)

The ads don't work for me in xfire, I disabled them via the HOSTS file...

Last edited:
Im not sure if someone posted this already:

Fortunately some good response from X-Fire

We want to apologize for the technical difficulties that appeared at the Xfire chat. This chat ended up being far higher in attendance that we anticipated, including a few hundred ”party crashers” who attended the chat without having been invited. The extreme mass of people continually crashed Xfire as I am sure that you experienced requiring friends to be deleted from Chatteox for the chat to continue, which is why some of you were no longer able to participate . We would like to assure you that Xfire chats are not usually hectic and rarely ever crash (this was a first for us!). And we do apologize again for the inconvenience for all of the people who were invited and didn’t get a chance to have their questions asked. The team at Mindark did answer quite a few questions however, and the cleaned transcripts are available on the Entropia Universe Page (Xfire - Gaming Simplified) and the Xfire Transcript Archive (Xfire - Gaming Simplified).

Our apologies and thanks again,

--The Xfire Team

Last edited:
I also received this apology, on my email-address that was not signed up for any correspondence and unsubscribed. So, not only xfire can't run a chat properly, but they are internet terrorists (also known as spammers). Just FYI.

I love xfire :yay:

edit:
Well.. not that I have had much use of it with EU other than to see if someone is online without logging in,,, of the few that acctualy use it :S

But I love it for COD4 :p easy to get a server list up and join a game.

Last edited:
Never install it, and never plan to do that, so don't have any problem with it ;)
For chat - IRC; for IM - Jabber; for adware - hm, i don't need adware :tongue2:

Last edited:
Back