Calypso Gateway – an entry to a world of opportunity and adventure

I disagree :p Nothing like allowing freedom of movement for noobs to get themselves killed

AS for sweating tutorial, I think the VSE is a self contained description (says to aim at mob) and those are also included in the information help popups (which would activate upon looking at item info, etc - but we've already seen them)

Even if the description describes how to use it, I think a little sweating practice on the "Puny" mobs would be a good thing.

Last edited:
Well done...

Hello everyone,

I have to say congratulations to FPC and Mindark on a job well done with the Calypso Gateway. Granted, I haven’t tested any mission and there will be some kinks to iron out. However the environment is just great looking, lots of eye for detail, which I have missed for a while. The restaurant and bar is great, while standing there, you can imagine it being crowded with people eating, drinking and talking. Reminds me a lot of airport restaurants, well done. The rest of the building looks great too, with an atmosphere of something great waiting behind this place.

This is the kind of first impression Planet Calypso needed. I’m very curious what new first time players think of it. Maybe I’m over reacting a bit, but I think this is a big step forward. Work out the kinks and you got a great new entry point for new players.

Again Congratulations FPC and Mindark,

Mariko.

Last edited:
OK, spent time at NAZ island yesterday. I went with zero equipment, only my sweating tool and the clothes on my back, just like I was a brand new spawned n00b (Only nicer dressed :D)

Here's my report: (I'll skip the lag/cars/etc. because those will be gone when this goes live for spawning)

First thing's first. I saw no information or any way to tell me how to move my avatar. :( (We'll ASSume I finally figured basic movement, but it was hard. I almost logged out. :()

I ran down some stairs and found a booth w/ an NPC. I clicked him. He was the mining instructor and since I didn't have my "authorization form" he barked at me about proper procedure and anarchy. I almost logged out right then. :(

Without decent instructions to get to the "miner authorization form dude/chick" I wandered around up to the 2nd floor and found the manufacturing guide. She had me sign so many forms I almost logged out. :( I finally got my "crafting learning thingie".

Found the hunting official on the other side. Got my hunting authorization form.

Found Omegaton rep and got my gun/ammo. Went hunting. (Finally noticed the spinning circle on the edge of my radar. Will obviously be more visible when the place is deserted.)

Went hunting. (Note: Nothing in any descriptions/instructions mentions anything about looting mobs. Also, no lessons for making quick buttons, or about the action library.)

Went back to hunting rep upstairs and found the mining rep. Got my "mining authorization form".

Wandered back to crafting station to give it a try. Got my stuff (NPC said I got 1 lyst/oil, but I got 5)

Tried crafting. The instructions on using the BP were a bit unclear, so it took me a bit to learn how to open the BP book and click on the bp.

Tried two crafting attempts. Got something. I guess it was the filter (though it was labeled metal res ;)) Talked to crafting rep who said I kinda, sorta passed the basics. :yay:

Went back to mining rep. He told me to wait. I almost logged out :(

Got my mining gear and went out. Found nothing. Got my 2nd chance stuff and tried again. Nothing. (Most likely due to the mass of miners already.)

Went back to hunting. Killed trips. Then killed cauds (Note: Location tracking sent me to spawned almost all berries and very little cauds. As a real n00b I would have wasted my gun/ammo on them and not the right mob.)

Went back to crafting rep. Nothing more there.

Went back to mining rep. Was told to find Melinda for some lyst.

Stumbled upon the vet w/ the "tail" ;) And listened/read a bit.

Ended up getting hunting mission #4.

Found Melinda. :yay: (Good thing I found her before doing my final hunting mission)

Back to miner guy. Refined.

Hunted. Gave frags to Melinda to scan.

After hitting all NPCs up for more, saw I was done. Hit the TP, never to return.

Came home w/ 1.80 TT worth of "stuff", plus some starter skills. (Though I had to learn about TT and other terminals on my own. :()

Recommendations:
  • Add signs teaching basic movement.
  • Add hint to Click on NPCs
  • Add info about how to loot mobs in the 1st hunt mission.
  • Reduce the # of forms to sign.
  • Add NPC teaching about the terminals (Trade, inventory, etc.) (Can just "tell" about each one, so they know what to expect on Calypso.)
  • Add message when using teleporter (Did you finish all your lessons? Are you sure you're ready for the wild, dangerous and exciting life on Calypso?)

Hope that helps. :)

Oh please JC, a couple of windows is nothing to click through - other MMO's do the same, I've never seen someone quit because they have to clikc a few times. Most people also know to click the NPC characters in MMO's - it's insanely obvious.

Recommendations:
  • Add signs teaching basic movement.
  • Add hint to Click on NPCs
  • Add info about how to loot mobs in the 1st hunt mission.
  • Reduce the # of forms to sign.
  • Add NPC teaching about the terminals (Trade, inventory, etc.) (Can just "tell" about each one, so they know what to expect on Calypso.)
  • Add message when using teleporter (Did you finish all your lessons? Are you sure you're ready for the wild, dangerous and exciting life on Calypso?)

I agrea on all but the number of forms. I though it added some comedy as well as "realism" for lack of a better word. At no point did it make me want to log off any way. :D

Oh please JC, a couple of windows is nothing to click through - other MMO's do the same, I've never seen someone quit because they have to clikc a few times. Most people also know to click the NPC characters in MMO's - it's insanely obvious.

Perhaps for you, but EU was my 1st MMO e-v-e-r. I had not the experience. I speak specifically of the mining guy who had me fill out here, and here, and the yellow copy, and the receipt, and the receipt for the receipt... Just felt boring to me. The others seemed ok. (perhaps because I went "out of order" but the whole mining training felt a hassle compared to the others.)

And I speak truly about EU being my 1st MMO. When I spawned I had no info about how to move, what to do, etc. (spawned long before Pa had those signs in the NAZ) I moved for the 1st 2-3 weeks by double clicking the ground every few feet. Eventually I got slick and learned to click the sky so I could run straight for a long time. :dance:

So regarding lack of instructions in the beginning, I speak from experience.

As for the form thing, I get it was a comedy thing. I just felt bored by it. It's a minor detail compared to the rest.

* deleted *

Last edited:
EU was also my first MMO ever, seriously. Back in 2006. After the change to amps, I took a break and tried a few other MMO's, due to my FL dying.

Mining seems bugged..

It looks nice, very, very nice...BUT,

to me, it was a waste of time, kill 2, 6, 10 mobs, make a few things and then drop b0mbs...lolo...the last was find something...LOL..as IF WE CAN find anything worth a damn in the Real World of EU...LOL I give up...hope the noob that arrive there have a real idea of how this game works, but, don't think so..LOL

Seoul:yay::D

Overall looks very nice.

You can use your free gifts before you get your missions. Not good.

No sweating tutorial/mission?

If new colonists first appear at the big spaceship as I presume, being able to jump the wall around the landing pad is perhaps not a good thing.

No, not at the NAZ. Cause there are already 5 beginner missions at PA/Swamp Camp, including sweating :D

And the storyline indicates, you died on the way over here and materialized at the revival point (remember the talk with the veteran). So I dont think colonists arrive at the ship.

I actually found "signing" all the forms was really funny. :laugh:

No, not at the NAZ. Cause there are already 5 beginner missions at PA/Swamp Camp, including sweating :D

And the storyline indicates, you died on the way over here and materialized at the revival point (remember the talk with the veteran). So I dont think colonists arrive at the ship.

Like I said, I think they should learn at CG on the puny mobs before they get out in the "real world".

ye, me too

to be honest I was quite impressed with the way it was all setup.

Posted via Mobile Device

THX FOR THE GIFTS

and giving us all a chance to experiance the ....~-Gateway-~...,

im gone save my gifts for a rainy day lets hope i global with my opallo eucalypto in a few weeks :D

! N00b,
~"dont ask me, i'm just a N00b"~

Feedback

Hi. I'm an existing player and decided to have a look at EG. Overall, I really liked it: it's got good atmosphere, and I think the quests are going to give newbies a real taste of what it's possible to do in the game. I've got a couple of suggestions and two mistakes I noticed which'll hopefully be of some help:

Suggestions:

* It'd be nice to have a basic introduction to the most important keys and the controls system first (assuming there isn't one already if you're just starting). It can be quite challenging for someone who's just starting, even if they've played other games before. It'd also be a very good idea to explain how to get info on an item, seeing as there's a lot of (good) tutorial information in the rookie item descriptions.

* The little green blips on the map for quest objective locations is good, but it probably wouldn't hurt to mention that that's what they mean. Again, it's quite obvious to an experienced player, but maybe not to a newbie.

* It wouldn't hurt to have one of the people you talk to mention the mission broker for the sweating missions. This'd be a good lead-on for someone who's just about to arrive in PA for the first time, I think.

Mistakes:

* When doing the crafting mission (basic filters), I was given all the items for it, and then spoke to the rep again before I'd manufactured any filters. The only speech option I got for the "have you made any yet" question was "Yes, here they are" despite the fact I had none in my inventory.

* The description for the Rookie OreExtractor has a mistake. It says "If you are in Aim mode, you can drop bombs...". Looks like a bad copy/paste from the OreFinder description?

Hope some or all of this helps a little. :)

Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

ye, me too

to be honest I was quite impressed with the way it was all setup.

Posted via Mobile Device

Another vote for this part: I thought it was pretty funny. :) I also liked the Omegaton sign which said "We build it you use it". :)

i was shocked there wasn't a healing mission.

Overall, i had a lot of fun however, i found a few problems:

- like buzz, i talked to the crafting mission broker before having done any filters, and i could finish the mission without ever touching the machine (in fact i did, but failed all my attempts lol).
_ hunting missions: You should be very clear about the fact that if you kill too many mobs in the beginning, you won't be able to finish the mission as your weapon will be fully decayed. There is a dangerous dialogue box after finishing the first mission that basically says, without imediately introducing you to the next mission: "now take this ammo and have fun, then get back to me to another mission". This is wrong, as it leads the hunter to believe all's fine. On my way to my final mission, the 10 mobs, i ran out of kiwio :(. Fortunately, someone was at the gateway giving out guns with a chunk of tt I could use to finish it. Same problem will happen if noobs by mistake or necessity shoot a couple of wrong mobs.
_ mining mission: ok, this one i really couldn't get, lol. The mark outside should not bleep like that as it is misleading, and people think that you will be able to find ores at that same exact position, which is most probably not going to happen :D. It should not be there or make it an arrow instead, leading you to the outside of the complex. I did not get a single claim btw, lol, but fortunately, you made it possible to finish the mission in another way.

Hmmm.. now i think of that, my performance in those noob missions wasz catastrophic! :eek:

Hmmm.. now i think of that, my performance in those noob missions wasz catastrophic! :eek:

Not to worry ... I think the majority of us ran into the same problems, and we could hardly be faulted for that, but ... FPC said they are working on tweaking things, so hopefully, everything will be ready by the time it goes live to fresh newbies without our help in the process. It's going to truly be an isolated experience. However, I think if FPC focuses on the feedback that this community has given and does the tweaking, the newbies should have a pretty good go at it before coming into our big, bad-ass world. :D I'll be posting my front page Calypso Gateway article and video later today with a more comprehensive perspective based on community feedback, as well as my own experiences. :)

I love that they've finally made an area like this! I really think it will help out in new players staying in the game longer. No, not just in this area but overall. I've always thought it was to much of a 'sand box' before for most gamers.

Having the ability to 'test drive' the game has been needed for a long time. This was something I mentioned and discussed in detail with a few MA people and others years ago. It's awesome to see them do such a great job on it and overall pretty much what I suggested. This new area along with the missions is some of the best overall improvements to this place! (Along with cars, new mf etc.... )

WTG FPC!!!! :) Super impressed with all that's being done!! Keep up the good work.

*Still missing skills at times due to caching issues.. also seems to be a memory leak going on for many people.

** Still no Wof jacket... (I know wrong thread....can ya tell I'm dying to get it? Red white and blue please??? :D :cool:

Not to worry ... I think the majority of us ran into the same problems, and we could hardly be faulted for that, but ... FPC said they are working on tweaking things, so hopefully, everything will be ready by the time it goes live to fresh newbies without our help in the process. It's going to truly be an isolated experience. However, I think if FPC focuses on the feedback that this community has given and does the tweaking, the newbies should have a pretty good go at it before coming into our big, bad-ass world. :D I'll be posting my front page Calypso Gateway article and video later today with a more comprehensive perspective based on community feedback, as well as my own experiences. :)

Yes, definitely, some minor tweaking will make it perfect.

actualy what i whonder the most
hunting missions ends with skill reward. (how much i don't know)
mining mission ends with skill reward. (yet again i don't know how much of a gain)
the fragment mission gives you a couple science skills. (again amount unknown)
the veteran well hes just fun to talk to and some extra ammo yahoo!

crafting now i was severly disapointed with this. you get enough stuff to make 5 clicks, (the mission says a click >.>) on filters. your reward.... is to get to keep whatever filters you made...... ok that would normaly be fine except. you just gave a skill reward with everything else, you got to keep that stuff to. really you should give a skill reward for crafting too. I can spend 100$ on crafting and 10$ hunting and i can get more skills with that 10$ hunting then the 100$ crafting.

if you want the newbs to take an interest into the crafting system i really recomend you give them a skill reward. that or you become sain and make crafting skilling alot easier.

ok so I'm too lazy to read 18 pages... when is the last day the teleporter will be open for us to go and check it out?
I remember reading a week, but has that been extended because of the bugs?

thanks

JEHU

Darkewulfe told me she rushed ahead with some of the missions and couldn't complete about three of them.

There also needs to be a tutorial about movement and one about sweating and collecting fruit/stones/dung ;)

Posted via NW's Entropia Utilities

Darkewulfe told me she rushed ahead with some of the missions and couldn't complete about three of them.

There also needs to be a tutorial about movement and one about sweating and collecting fruit/stones/dung ;)

Posted via NW's Entropia Utilities

no. there is already a sweating quest in sweat camp.

ok so I'm too lazy to read 18 pages... when is the last day the teleporter will be open for us to go and check it out?
I remember reading a week, but has that been extended because of the bugs?

The open house will close Tuesday or Wednesday, in a FPC update.

Back