EF Rules Discussion

Status
I agree, and although foresee a lot of game threads In the off-topic (maybe Its own sub-forum for "Offline Games"?) section, I think there should be no problems with talking about Offline games. Maybe even ones with no MMORPG styles. So just like Online FPS games ect.

And since I just got JimmyB'd, Ill add my question regarding the same topic...

Is it strictly PC-games, or games in general, such as consolegames!? The rule is a bit fuzzy about this...

Jimmy B'd hahahaha, hey jimmy you have your own tagline :yay:

711 is there any way to bend rule 15?

Is there any reason to complain about it or is it a rule that will not be changed regardless?

I find it silly that I can't say for example "hey guys such and such fps demo just got released I've been waiting for ages for this how bout you guys?"

The reason it is silly is because we use the forum to not just talk about Entropia but to talk to people who play entropia. I mean we are allowed topics about peoples lives, what they did today etc why not what offline games they are playing.

Its not discussion of the game itself rather discussion of something we did, will do or enjoy doing.

I don't fully understand the reasons behind the rule so maybe you could enlighten me as to how steadfast this rule is.

Not sure i understand your problem, but, if i wanted to let my "friends" know about something, i would send them a P.M. If i wanted to post something for everyone to see i would make it Entropia related (or close to it anyway). :scratch2:

Last edited:
Not sure i understand your problem, but, if i wanted to let my "friends" know about something, i would send them a P.M. If i wanted to post something for everyone to see i would make it Entropia related (or close to it anyway). :scratch2:

Well Deke, I have seen you reply to many offtopic discussions which tells me your enjoy not only talking about Entropia Universe on here. All I'm saying is if we can have topics about crazy guys with their real dolls why cant we have topics about offline games.

?"

The reason it is silly is because we use the forum to not just talk about Entropia but to talk to people who play entropia. I mean we are allowed topics about peoples lives, what they did today etc why not what offline games they are playing.

Its not discussion of the game itself rather discussion of something we did, will do or enjoy doing.

I don't fully understand the reasons behind the rule so maybe you could enlighten me as to how steadfast this rule is.

Umm.. I think you missed something important. Let me see if I can help.

If you scroll up to the very top of your screen, you will see a banner with a curious grouping of letters looking something like this:
ENTROPIA FORUM

These letters represent a forum for "Entropia Universe". If you want to discuss other games, there are many non-specific gamer forums out there.

but now if i come up with an idea to add to this game, and i want to describe it, one way i might describe it is by comparing to game xyz, so that way people have an idea of wut i mean.

With these rules, i cant do that.

I think we should just ban shameless promotion of other games, but not references

Rule # 15
Discussion of computer games or MMORPGs other than EntropiaUniverse is NOT allowed. Any and all such threads or posts will be deleted. Naming, making reference to, or linking to games or game websites other than EntropiaUniverse is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. All references and links of this kind will be removed, including those that appear in avatar pictures, member profiles or member signatures.
I can understand that we have this Rule. But i would like to suggest to open one special thread on "the other game" since we can learn much! To Better EU! To compare the views on them.

There should be one open discussion. This might even interest visitors. Everybody knows "the other game". The last week it was twice on German radio. Last was about: Virtual Sex and Swinger Clubs in "the other game" and if its legal (since kids play it was well).
EU is better and can be even more better if we learn from this.

EU is a game for adults, the other one for kids and people who use MS Office as OS...

I can understand that we have this Rule. But i would like to suggest to open one special thread on "the other game" since we can learn much! To Better EU! To compare the views on them.

There should be one open discussion. This might even interest visitors. Everybody knows "the other game". The last week it was twice on German radio. Last was about: Virtual Sex and Swinger Clubs in "the other game" and if its legal (since kids play it was well).
EU is better and can be even more better if we learn from this.

EU is a game for adults, the other one for kids and people who use MS Office as OS...

Such a forum will never be added to EntropiaForum, which is a fan forum created for discussion of EntropiaUniverse, not similar games, MMOs, universes or metaverses.

As has been stated many times before, this rule is one of the longest standing rules of EF, and will not be changed. Mindbuster has responded to many queries about this rule, as have I (the search tool is your friend).

Such a forum will never be added to EntropiaForum, which is a fan forum created for discussion of EntropiaUniverse, not similar games, MMOs, universes or metaverses.

As has been stated many times before, this rule is one of the longest standing rules of EF, and will not be changed. Mindbuster has responded to many queries about this rule, as have I (the search tool is your friend).

Evolution is a friend. But sure, its your decision. I just wonder why a fan page like EF would be harmed if we can state why the other game sucks ;)
Sure, there would be a few " bah, thats better there.." yes, why not? Still we are all fans or even more "Entropians".

while i dont agree, i do totaly understand the no other games rule, lets face it chatting about other games would increase the number of ppl who try those games out and in turn will decrease teh number of players in eu (wich according to my FL is at a all time low atm). Also when discussing other games i think a lot of ppl would realise that the "unique" ideas MA have had are in fact just ripped off from other companies/products.

so its not productive for EU or for EF

There is a arguement for the comparison of games, so we can point MA in the direction of features we think are cool but it could be very hard for the mds/admins to manage imo

but.... i do think there needs to be some common sense in the application of rules, i mean i understand why a post about WOW or EVE will get deleted, but if someone posts about poker or chess, would those also get deleted as "other games" or would common sense prevail in those situations?

... not that i am about to become a chess head :p just academic curiosity i guess

kings pawn to pvp3 ;)

I don't think anyone here wants to have full-out discussions on EF on those other games. But if EF was truly built to get the customer's opinion on the product the MA is putting out, then it seems quite silly to say "Oh, but you can mention any of my competitors in those opinions."

As a fan forum, it should be strong enough to have EU described next to it competition and stand above them. I understand what this rule was and is intended to do but if MA really wants to get better than it's competition then it needs to give it's player base the latitude to give examples of things they would like to see in the game and I hate to break it to you but those are mostly things done in other games.

Understood. Are there any other rules that we should not discuss since there is no hope to ever have them modified? I thought that is what this thread was all about.

And since I just got JimmyB'd, Ill add my question regarding the same topic...

JimmyB'd, :laugh:

I won't comment on the exclusive, intrusive, restricting, censoring, extreme EF commandments, I just wanted to tag the topic :)

Rule # 15
Discussion of computer games or MMORPGs other than EntropiaUniverse is NOT allowed. Any and all such threads or posts will be deleted. Naming, making reference to, or linking to games or game websites other than EntropiaUniverse is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. All references and links of this kind will be removed, including those that appear in avatar pictures, member profiles or member signatures.

I think this rule may have some escapes, such as using codes for the other games (wich is not naming or making reference to them), and of course using a remote website to link to pages wich describe the term and offer links for the game-related sources (wich is not linking directly, and there is no direct reference on EF)

:ahh:

Umm.. I think you missed something important. Let me see if I can help.

If you scroll up to the very top of your screen, you will see a banner with a curious grouping of letters looking something like this:
ENTROPIA FORUM

These letters represent a forum for "Entropia Universe". If you want to discuss other games, there are many non-specific gamer forums out there.

Teilk, thanks for point this out. I'm surprised I did not notice that before but your big letters certainly made me notice it now ;)

Perhaps you should go and remove the posts that you have about other subjects separate to ENTROPIA FORUM.

I'm just joking, I don't mind people talking about other things or having opinions.

Rule # 15

It's probably totally futile to discuss this further as this point has been discussed for years but maybe steady reminders are doing some good here.

I think most people totally aknowledge the fact that this is an EF forum and not for discussing other games, however, making reference to competitors and other games on EF is surely not gonna bring the game down. If the game can not take any criticism and comparisons from other sources then it's not helping the game either. Improvements are made by looking at what competitors do, EU can not innovate on every aspect of computer gaming and there are many point where Eu could just get some fresh ideas. And don't be mistaken, MA know very well what our competitors do.... and they are surely discussing it.

It's plain childish and useless to censor any reference to other games as long as the chats evolve around EU.... you are not doing the community any good at all by doing this.

It's probably totally futile to discuss this further as this point has been discussed for years but maybe steady reminders are doing some good here.

It's plain childish and useless to censor any reference to other games as long as the chats evolve around EU.... you are not doing the community any good at all by doing this.
Completely agreed.

How about we make a poll 711? What do you rekon?

Now, I understand, this Is a Forum for Eu. However, we have an Off-topic discussion sub forum. Anything goes In there, why not other games? Although in my opinion not other MMORPGs, but what about the rest? Are they negotiable?

We say there's forums for this stuff, and actually alot of stuff we post. Techincal advice, and general off topic stuff. But why do we post here then? Because of of our pretty unique close community, people would rather have these discussions with other people here, than on any other forum. Even topic specific forums.

At the moment, this forum Is growing larger and larger by the day. So much so Its not just an Eu site anymore. EF needs to cater for this. now Im not talking full forums here, just the ability to make threads In the off-topic areas regarding other non-MMORPGs.

You say this Is a long standing rule. But back then It may have been valid, but like I say, things change, including and espeically the amount of users and their purpose to visit here. Before It could have been to visit and read about current Eu topics. Barely even bothering to look in other threads non-Eu related. But as more people join, and enjoy the community here, they come for their leasure, to chill out, and get involved In hot topics, or just the fun threads.

I also realise this Is your forum, and you make the rules. But why make a rule? To give a better visit to the majority of visiters. No reason to have a rule If the majority disagree. This defeats the object of a forum rule.

EF needs to expand along with its users.

Just my :twocents:

The first rule of EF is don't talk about EF.
The second rule of EF is DO NOT TALK ABOUT EF!!!!

711, may I ask, what is the EF rules about user "hacking" the textures files?

I did get +rep from ppl that wanted to know and -rep from ppl that not wanted me to divulge any info....:(

Have you got an official position?
If (note: if) I find something useful/interesting I'm allowed to post it on EF?
Or shall I keep the eventual (note: eventual) data for myself?

P.S: no, still no big (or little) news that will shatter your world, -reppers...:(

How about we make a poll 711? What do you rekon?

Now, I understand, this Is a Forum for Eu. However, we have an Off-topic discussion sub forum. Anything goes In there, why not other games? Although in my opinion not other MMORPGs, but what about the rest? Are they negotiable?

We say there's forums for this stuff, and actually alot of stuff we post. Techincal advice, and general off topic stuff. But why do we post here then? Because of of our pretty unique close community, people would rather have these discussions with other people here, than on any other forum. Even topic specific forums.

At the moment, this forum Is growing larger and larger by the day. So much so Its not just an Eu site anymore. EF needs to cater for this. now Im not talking full forums here, just the ability to make threads In the off-topic areas regarding other non-MMORPGs.

You say this Is a long standing rule. But back then It may have been valid, but like I say, things change, including and espeically the amount of users and their purpose to visit here. Before It could have been to visit and read about current Eu topics. Barely even bothering to look in other threads non-Eu related. But as more people join, and enjoy the community here, they come for their leasure, to chill out, and get involved In hot topics, or just the fun threads.

I also realise this Is your forum, and you make the rules. But why make a rule? To give a better visit to the majority of visiters. No reason to have a rule If the majority disagree. This defeats the object of a forum rule.

EF needs to expand along with its users.

Just my :twocents:

This is very sound argumentation here... Having a rule just because it has always been there is not really an argument which brings the community forward.

I think most people totally aknowledge the fact that this is an EF forum and not for discussing other games, however, making reference to competitors and other games on EF is surely not gonna bring the game down. If the game can not take any criticism and comparisons from other sources then it's not helping the game either. Improvements are made by looking at what competitors do, EU can not innovate on every aspect of computer gaming and there are many point where Eu could just get some fresh ideas. And don't be mistaken, MA know very well what our competitors do.... and they are surely discussing it.

The purpose of the rule has nothing to do with protecting MA or EU or "preventing such discussions from bringing EU down".

The purpose of the rule is to keep the focus of the forum on EntropiaUniverse. History has shown that a bit of leniency in this area results in an escalation of off-topic discussions. I have been a member of dozens and dozens of forums on the internet, on a wide variety of topics, and they all have one thing in common: without a clear set of rules and topic of discussion, they very quickly unravel and becoming insignificant. As a forum grows larger, the task of "keeping the train on the tracks" grows exponentially more difficult, thus the need for a well conceived and consistently enforced set of rules.

Because so many members of EF play other games (we are all computer gamers in the end), this rule is one of the most important ones to keep EF on track. Without it, there would be a mass of discussion of other games (this has been seen in the past on EF and other forums), which for the most part is off-topic on a forum dedicated to EntropiaUniverse.

There are many great general gaming forums available for the discussion of other games. My favorite is www.mmorpg.com which has a wonderful community. This is a great place to compare and contrast games, and to discuss general computer gaming, virtual worlds, and MMOs.

I think this rule may have some escapes, such as using codes for the other games (wich is not naming or making reference to them), and of course using a remote website to link to pages wich describe the term and offer links for the game-related sources (wich is not linking directly, and there is no direct reference on EF)

:ahh:

I don't think this would fool the moderators for very long. Now that you told everyone how to do it, I don't think it will fool them at all. :laugh:

This is very sound argumentation here... Having a rule just because it has always been there is not really an argument which brings the community forward.

Unless that rule is one of the primary reasons the forum has grown so quickly and been so successful in its mission of becoming the primary community resource for EntropiaUniverse.

I don't think this would fool the moderators for very long. Now that you told everyone how to do it, I don't think it will fool them at all. :laugh:

Yeah.

Some people think their too clever, adn have to show it off, but they don't realise that If no one knew In the first place, it would have actually been even cleverer. You have to be smart enough to know yourself that your smart, not by telling other people things in hope that they think you are smart... ;)

Anyway lol.

711. I totally understand what your saying, however, I'll mention again I only mean non-MMORPGs. I agree that If we did get the option to discuss these, the forum would be spammed with allsorts.

I know your probably sick of arguing your corner on this subject, but I think Im making some good points here.

At least consider my poll.

Maybe we could have a trial period. Whereas for 1 month we're allowed, from a start date to a finish date. Of course with 2 weeks notice maybe too.

Afterwards we'll definitely be able to see the result, whether your right, or just overly cautious.

Sorry to keep going on about It, but I feel quite passionate about this. (My life Is actually quite full-filling lol thanks)

I wasnt trying to fool anyone, or break the rules with such a system. I was just contemplating the possibilities of bypassing the existing rules, or even better complying with them and still allow some freedom of speech :rolleyes:

The rule is contested because it breaks the freedom of speech somehow, you can't really say anything related to any other similar system? If we do, are we going to be punished for mentioning other related or similar systems?

le wiki said:
Freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one's opinion publicly without fear of censorship or punishment. The right is enshrined in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights and is granted formal recognition by the laws of most nations. Nonetheless the degree to which the right is upheld in practice varies greatly from one nation to another.

And what the hell are you talking about Dom_sufc. Nobody is really smart or stupid, the smartness or stupidness comes from other attributes of one's self. I am not being less clever if I voice my ideas, you can't steal them, because one's ideas are not really unique.

The rule is contested because it breaks the freedom of speech somehow, you can't really say anything related to any other similar system? If we do, are we going to be punished for mentioning other related or similar systems?

This is not a freedom of speech issue. EntropiaForum is a privately owned forum, with a set of rules intended to keep the focus of discussion on EntropiaUniverse. You agreed to the rules when you created your account, and agree to them every time you log on to the site. If you find the rules unfair, you are under no obligation to post on the forum.

People often throw around the term "freedom of speech" with regard to this rule, when it does not apply. Even in the real world, freedom of speech does not mean that you can say whatever you like at any time.

People often throw around the term "freedom of speech" with regard to this rule, when it does not apply. Even in the real world, freedom of speech does not mean that you can say whatever you like at any time.

True, but if I find myself to break that rule, then I shouldn't fear punishment. I guess that if I know the maximum extent of punishment for my actions and take those risks, I can't say my freedom of speech has been impaired. Fully knowing the rules and breaking them, indeed is not considered freedom of speech.

I'll shut up now, why is everyone sucking me into things like this...

711 I appreciate your answer to this thread and let me once again point out that I do see your point when it comes to games in general. But what I do not understand is why you have to keep this stance when the arguments are evolving around EU, i.e. if a thread makes clear reference to EU and makes a comparison for instance or so... We don't want to discuss other games in here but we do want to discuss EU with respect to other games... and I see no harm in that.

Unless that rule is one of the primary reasons the forum has grown so quickly and been so successful in its mission of becoming the primary community resource for EntropiaUniverse.

Regarding this quote I have to say that I do not second that. You can not prove that the board has grown so fast because of this rule. I would rather say you have monopoly cos there is nothing alike around... Since Marco obviously favours this board EF had an easy case for attracting people ... no offence but that's just how it is. ;) EP was an active forum and it has totally died down since no MA official wants to post there anymore... not because it's a bad forum...

There was a thread here a few minutes ago linking to another site that operated a Known Scammers List it has been removed.

Now i appreciate you dont want people posting names of these avatars on EF but i can't see how a link to one is breach of the rules.

From the response it is something the community is interesting in having so why the need to remove it?

There was a thread here a few minutes ago linking to another site that operated a Known Scammers List it has been removed.

Now i appreciate you dont want people posting names of these avatars on EF but i can't see how a link to one is breach of the rules.

From the response it is something the community is interesting in having so why the need to remove it?

List's like that has never been allowed on EF, that goes all the way back to EF launch when I was the owner, Wanda's and many others Hall'O'Shame list's were deleted.

Sure we had the scamming forum where individual scam cases with names were allowed, but not List's, and now the scamming forum is gone also.

It's just too easy to make mistakes or personal vendetta's, hanging someone out, with naming scammers.

I appreciate its a delicate subject.

I just wanted to ask as the feedback has been positive.

Oh well thanks for the reply. :)

Status
Back