Let’s see how well informed we aree

Did you know that since VU9 we can edit and map ALL the keys on our keyboard? Including those locked

• Yes

Votes: 58 56.9%
  • No

Votes: 44 43.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A simple question: Did you know that since VU9 we can edit and map ALL the keys on our keyboard? Including those locked pale grey keys …

I do now. Thanks for bringing that up :)

Have known for a while.

Sure.

Strange, "No" not equal to zero :scratch2:

I had to vote no. Thanks for spreading the word.

its not just since VU9 its more like VU8/7 or earlier.

Somebody showed me this 6mths after I started playing and that's almost 3yrs ago now.

Just learned 1 minute ago in that other thread. Does that count?

I've been playing nearly 7 years now, and since VU10 changed my keyboard layout, I've always wanted to change it back. This 'hidden' feature should be a little easier to find, as it looks like it'll make my time in game a lot better.

I did not..

I dont map the keybd, I drop the few icons I use on the desktop as I still have to look down to type. We all know in EU that means certain death as the chat focus unlocks and you go running into a herd of something you were telling your friend about that very moment.

:laugh: seriously its been like this ever since we had the new interface with the custom icons on HUD etc.

i wonder what the correlation is between people who didnt know and who never used/didnt like first person.

:laugh: seriously its been like this ever since we had the new interface with the custom icons on HUD etc.

i wonder what the correlation is between people who didnt know and who never used/didnt like first person.

You could be spot on there as it was when someone was explaining 1st person/aim mode for the first time that it was explained to me.

A simple question: Did you know that since VU9 we can edit and map ALL the keys on our keyboard? Including those locked pale grey keys …

yep.. commonly known as "universal edit" setting action set to < * >

This is terrible! Are you watching this MA? Look at the numbers… something is really, really wrong.

Not being able to map my keyboard as I want, and having to work around what was already there and blocked, was a constant source of irritation for a long, long time… and by the look of it, I’m definitely not alone!

I wonder how many other things like this are out there…..

I didn't know don't care..and as you said, didn't use or like 1st person much.

It's sad the guys playing don't get instuctions on how the many ways to play the game physically as far as contols at least are concerned isn't it?

I've met a good few new guys over the time I've been ingame who were told how to play st person and I showed them the other way I liked...and they were :silly2: phew...much better. It's nice to know the options even if you don't like or use them IMO.

I always wonder if MA always relied on players to do the videos and sites explaining this stuff. the basics...or they just couldn't be bothered to do it themselves? I know I'd never have got into EU at all had I beem deprived of EF and fellow players help and had to rely on official info only. How odd is that considering that the first few seconds or minutes are when you make your mind up if you like or dislike most things in life?

Even Simon and Emma the guides are recent additions...it's good to know that FPC now see this area as important and even recruited some great players as guides and treat them decently for their help, it's awfully confusing landing in EU all alone and important how well people are welcomed.

t

This is terrible! Are you watching this MA? Look at the numbers… something is really, really wrong.

Not being able to map my keyboard as I want, and having to work around what was already there and blocked, was a constant source of irritation for a long, long time… and by the look of it, I’m definitely not alone!

what do you mean 'work around' its an option that has been available for years :scratch2:

You just didn't know about it because you didn't need to find the solution till now.You would have got the same answers to it had you posted this 3yrs ago.

I wonder how many of those little ? icons that pop up on your message icon you've actually read,you might be surprised what you learn.

MA could always have a better 'intro' to key controls and options but I'm afraid I have to blame your ignorance a little bit on this one.

Hehe.. MA have created a "game" that has many mysteries, and these mysteries that have captured the interest of many people.. it encourages the "players" to find out for themselves. If everything was laid out on a plate we probably wouldn't have game guides such as "alices guide" and the fact that it's the real people and players of EU that proviide such information gives a true feeling of community and the urge to communicate with other real people within the game.. it's all about interaction! :) for so many players.. if it was laid out in black and white..the game would be too simple and boring imho ;)

what do you mean 'work around' its an option that has been available for years :scratch2:

You just didn't know about it because you didn't need to find the solution till now.You would have got the same answers to it had you posted this 3yrs ago.

I wonder how many of those little ? icons that pop up on your message icon you've actually read,you might be surprised what you learn.

MA could always have a better 'intro' to key controls and options but I'm afraid I have to blame your ignorance a little bit on this one.

Well, I have to admit that my ignorance is part of it. my main profession is mining. Has been so from the very beginning, thus I always played in third person… that may have something to do with it.

Knew about it, used it when new interface was first introduced to map acting sets from function keys to 0-9 like there was an option to do before that change.

Figured it out quite quickly with a play around with the interface and some understanding of what to expect as possible probably from skimming through some tutorial or other.

Course I am someone who likes to play around with stuff to see what happens and what can be done.

Yes I play 1st person a lot, can't stand 3rd peson (or rather learned not to like it back when) you can't turn around easily and holding both mouse buttons irritates me.

Just had a look on the MA website guides, all explained clear as day there. Perhaps we should all have a quick flick through the official tutorials again.

Yep, I knew. Getting the keys to remain mapped is the issue for me.

Just like probably lots more features it's known once it is released. Then there are a few threads about it and at one point the word about it stops as it has turned into common knowledge.

Then every now and then you see hints about how to improve the game play in the noob-section. Some obvious ones get quoted with "that's new to me" and alike.

I don't think that it's anyone's fault. It usually helps to ask around and probably search for the information. If you're playing for a while and consider yourself to be a non-noob and are too proud to ask certain questions, that's another thing. It's like "Everything you always wanted to know about EU but were afraid to ask" ;). But that's still not anyone's fault.

Anyways, good to see that people keep learning :).

As we're talking about the keyboard settings: I once had the problem that the first setup was somewhat burned into the desktop. If a chose a different setup, those icons just appeared on top of them. There was no way I could make those items disappear. That really freaked me out. I actually had a support case about this but I had worded it wrong so they couldn't help me. Anyway, at one point I noticed that I could toggle each of the setups to be permanent! It was one of the radio buttons right next to the number in the setup-selector. I clicked it and was happy again :).

Back