Name that Asteroid and win 5000 peds!!!

Status
Well, am I bein’ a bit slow-witted...? :scratch2:

Has anybody suggested »F.O.M.A. - FORTUNA« in this event thread? – No.
So according to the rules no contestant is entitled to the 5k PED. Therefore, nobody got robbed of anything.

Has anybody suggested parts of »F.O.M.A. - FORTUNA« in this event thread which hadn’t been offered by Pesok himself? – Yes. Hideo suggested »Orbital« first, and Dalas suggested »Fortuna« first.
Did they get 2nd prizes, which could reach from 100 PED to 4k PED? They did. Hideo was awarded 150 PED, and Dalas was awarded 400 PED. Again, nobody got robbed. (You could debate, whether »Fortuna« should’ve been awarded more in light of the chosen name, but Pesok had made it clear from the beginning that the respective amounts would be based on his mood.)

There were even handed out lots of unannounced 3rd prizes between 20 and 80 PED for contributions which were funny, or interesting in a special way, or dedicated, or helped the naming process along.

So, the only thing wrong here was naming Adeli 1st place winner of the contest, because obviously Adeli didn’t take part in the contest according to the rules. However, the 1st prize hadn’t been claimed by any contestant, and why shouldn’t Pesok award someone else with whatever he chooses, and for whatever reason? :dunno:
^^ This.
Yea, I'm bummed that I didn't win anything. Also, I understood this as a contest for who could offer the best appeal to Pesok's whim. The two together equal nothing at all to me.
I don't know Pesok, nor do I have much grasp at all on how he thinks, so my offerings were guaranteed to be pretty random. Pesok was having some fun. I'd like to thank him for sharing it with us.

I personally think the new name looks pretty lame in the globals, but to me the important concern is: What the hell DOES F.O.M.A. stand for?
.................:lolup:

What amazes me is that Dalas, who suggested Fortuna, is only getting 400 PEDs instead of the 5k. That "Foma" would be added for ego stroking is kinda obvious in retrospect. Oh, well.

(You could debate, whether »Fortuna« should’ve been awarded more in light of the chosen name, but Pesok had made it clear from the beginning that the respective amounts would be based on his mood.)

Sorry, but that to me is incredibly lame ... to hand out a prize based on your MOOD? That is not professional whatsoever, nor any way to handle an event.

What amazes me is that Dalas, who suggested Fortuna, is only getting 400 PEDs instead of the 5k. That "Foma" would be added for ego stroking is kinda obvious in retrospect. Oh, well.

I totally agree with your assessment here Audrey, and it's a damn shame that Dalas wasn't recognized more appropriately for the contribution. This whole thing is a mess, and not impressive at all.

So, the only thing wrong here was naming Adeli 1st place winner of the contest, because obviously Adeli didn’t take part in the contest according to the rules. However, the 1st prize hadn’t been claimed by any contestant, and why shouldn’t Pesok award someone else with whatever he chooses, and for whatever reason? :dunno:

That's not just one tiny item at the bottom of the list,that's one very big thing wrong. It was also wrong to claim that he gave out 7k PED in prizes , when he actually gave out one -and-bit k PED in competition prizes, plus (assuming that we take his word for it) a very nice christmas present to an RL friend who hadn't even entered the competition :laugh:

So why didn't he leave his friend Adeli out of it (no reason why not give her a present, but we really don't need to know about that) and just say, "Sorry these entries aren't good enough, I'm awarding minimal prizes?" Because he knew damned well that would disappoint people and make him look mean; because his OP gave the impression that he'd be giving away at least 5k, whether anybody won first prize or not. (And because we can all see that the entrants made a very substantial contribution to the name that he eventually chose, so that would have been pretty unreasonable) True, he didn't actually say that he'dd be giving away at least 5k, not in so many words, not if you read the small print carefully. He didn't actually commit himself to paying out more than 100 PED, not if you read the OP very carefully, taking every phrase literally. In a court of Law, he'd be off the hook.

But this isn't a court of law. Nobody's trying to sue him or anything. People are quite simply disappointed. People who thought this was an awesomely generous guy, when they read the OP have now reversed their opinion. And its his own stupid fault for that ridiculous stunt of awarding "first prize " to his friend (after setting out some very strict rules for the rest of us) ; and if he really wants to court people's goodwill, it would pay him to alter his attitude and fulfill the expectations that he raised.

If Pesok doesn't really care about people's opinion, then you're right,: no laws broken, no harm done, no big deal. But it looks to me like he cares very much about people's opinion

You can cross the T's and dot the I's all youu like, but you're not doing Pesok any favours really. He's not trying to escape through any legal loophole, he's trying to win people's hearts and minds, and he blew it; if you're really on his side, you should be trying to bring him round to seeing it like it is, not like you think it ought to be.

jay

Thirded.

I totally agree with this too. As soon as I saw the new name, i thought Dalas was in line for 3-4 k at least. So did he, probably. :(

jay

if you read the OP very carefully, taking every phrase literally.

Well, I thought that’s what you’re supposed to do with rules... :scratch2:

You can cross the T's and dot the I's all youu like, but you're not doing Pesok any favours really. He's not trying to escape through any legal loophole, he's trying to win people's hearts and minds, and he blew it; if you're really on his side, you should be trying to bring him round to seeing it like it is, not like you think it ought to be.

I don’t know where you get the notion I’d be in any way associated with Pesok. Being a contestant myself, I merely did check the accusation of foul play, and I find none. Event handling and communication weren’t my concern. :dunno:

Foma, if you want to run events in future, feel free to contact me, and I can assure you I will run them properly without giving any reason for people to complain about decisions I take.

I will however require payment in advance :)

Well, I thought that’s what you’re supposed to do with rules... :scratch2:
I wasn't talking about the rules, as such, just his announcement re what the prizes are and how they'll be allocated. As another poster pointed out, he's conveniently edited out the actual rules, which would otherwise have shown, without a shadow of doubt, that his RL friend was disqualified! :laugh:

Since he's clearly not stuck to the letter, we might all the more reasonably expect him to stick to what would seem to be the spirit? No? Not even that? Then why have a formal competition at all? :scratch2:

jay :)

You sir are a moron, Fox.

It doesn't matter what the prize is or it's value or what was needed to enter, it's the principle that the contest was not conducted by the rules stated by the host. If the host was going to considered outside influence at the very least it should have be stated in the rules. But it was not. If you don't intend to make something and then follow through with it then you should not let it begin in the first place.

And yes this problem would certainly be any worse if people had to pay for this event. But it doesn't make it right free or cost.

Stop spreading your moronic beliefs when you can't tell the difference between a mistake and a clear violation of stated rules, regardless of intent.

Actually in the rules it was stated that in order to compete for the 5000ped prize your entry must be on the forum. He said that you could give suggestions else where(in game/pm) but it wouldn't be considered a competing entry. Well guess what, he picked an entry that wasn't posted on the forums, but that was already covered in the rules.
No I do not like how this ended, I said before and will say again here. I would have prefered it be a player that won. But the rules where not broken.

The only thing he did that was not covered in the rules was give a prize to a non forum entry.

Thirded.

I totally agree with this too. As soon as I saw the new name, i thought Dalas was in line for 3-4 k at least. So did he, probably. :(

jay
I agree. This is not okay behaviour from OP. He should honestly be ashamed.

Bottom line.
Has this contest turned you away from going to Fortuna? Are you going to stop going out of priciple?
I don't really care what your answer is but with the number of you angrey about this I think your answer should be posted.

My answer to my own question;
I never went much before and my presence there will be just as rare. Roughly a two day trip ever couple months.

Bottom line.
Has this contest turned you away from going to Fortuna? Are you going to stop going out of priciple?
I don't really care what your answer is but with the number of you angrey about this I think your answer should be posted.

My answer to my own question;
I never went much before and my presence there will be just as rare. Roughly a two day trip ever couple months.
I never went there because I have never liked Neverdie, and I dislike him even more now after the Next Island-flop.

I don't really see myself giving money to OP either, so no - I won't visit "F.O.M.A. FORTUNA" (seriously, what the fuck is up with the name?).

only been their once for pink's valentines event.
found it cost way to much to go there and i cant handle the mobs to well. so unless theres an event there or i get a free trip very unlikely i will get there ever again, that or i start gaining some money and stop with the 5-10% returns.

Last edited:
Most definitely. I would only go there to do missions and leave after completion. And it's not "Fortuna", it's "F.O.M.A. - FORTUNA". That's a difference of 4600 PEDs.

Well said!
I feel much the same, atm, though tbh i never went there when it was CND either

jay :)

Ask the community for help and pick a name that wouldnt had made it on the top 100 names if left up for a vote. Next time ask for help, take the advice, the name is hacky at best.

Yea the name is definitely hacky-tacky and it does reduce the odds of me going there. I never went to CND, and I'm not going to Next Island because I am just that tired of seeing hofs in my chat from other planets, but I'd enjoy seeing the asteroid and the space station sometime. Missions would make my visit happen sooner, as would another change of name.

Yea the name is definitely hacky-tacky and it does reduce the odds of me going there.

Yeah, would not want to have my next mining global/HOF be branded by this "F.O.M.A. - FORTUNA!" thing.

Asking public to decide the best name choice for you instead would have given you, well, the best choice of name.

Yeah, would not want to have my next mining global/HOF be branded by this "F.O.M.A. - FORTUNA!" thing.

Asking public to decide the best name choice for you instead would have given you, well, the best choice of name.
... unless he wants most of the input to come from people who already frequent his new second hand asteroid :) rather than just whomever has too much time to spend on the forum

I actually would be MUCH more likely to visit an asteroid named F.U.B.A.R.! It sounds pretty cool. Who knows what might happen at a place like that?

2nd post updated - on calypso now - see u there

Met with FOMA and received my ped, thank you!

Met FOMA for the first time and got my prize. Awesome guy, THX FOMA!

1st place winner - RL Friend for casually blabbing out a name that became a final name--- New Sony(i7) Laptop(wouldn't take the money), thank you Adeli!

Dalas----------------(page 46)------------1st person to suggest "Fortuna"----------------------- 400 peds

it's not "Fortuna", it's "F.O.M.A. - FORTUNA". That's a difference of 4600 PEDs.

2) I will post here the times(calypso-will try to accommodate all time zones) and locations(Calypso/Amethera/Fortuna) where i will be giving out rewards when online

Location/Time:
1) 5:00(time of revision of this post) - Fortuna (either in Control Room 2 or the fertilizer room next to it)-completed

Foma, will you please take note of what Audrey said, up there. Since you sidestepped awarding 1st prize to Dalas by tacking F.O.M.A. on the front of his suggestion, I think you'd better go to the trouble of actually calling it "F.O.M.A. Fortuna " when you mention it.don't you? Otherwise it looks very much like you're taking the piss

jay

PS. If you must abbreviate it, you can abbreviate to F.O.M.A without giving (further) offense to anyone

Last edited:
2nd post updated - c u there!

1st place winner - RL Friend for casually blabbing out a name that became a final name--- New Sony(i7) Laptop(wouldn't take the money), thank you Adeli!

You must be taking a piss...
I guess it's building trustworthy reputation in community...

BTW, what NEW Sony i7 laptop cost under $500??
Not that i believe ho got it lol

Status
Back