Piracy: It's root causes.. and it's expression in the context of EU

What is being done in space is no different than IRL. the only exception here is MA gave it a legal status. It is somewhat akin to some barbarian place on earth where there are no laws... but in a civil society it's always a crime.
And piracy is a criminal behavior
[/B]

Infinity01 I think where you went wrong here is when tried to apply real life laws to in game behaviors.

You can't call someone a criminal or say they have criminal behaviors when they haven't committed or tried to commit a crime. You said it yourself "MA gave it a legal status" therefore in EU piracy is looting someone but in EU piracy is not a crime.

If you want to bring RL morality and laws into how you play the game that's fine but you can only apply them to yourself. You can't hold everyone else to those standards not because they might have different standards than you but because it just doesn't work.

MA created this virtual universe and they don't allow anyone to do anything that they don't want them to do. If you want to put even more restrictions on your game play then MA requires you to then that's you making your own version of the game. Others may choose to play the game with only the restrictions that MA put forth and they are not criminals for it they are actually just following the rules.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_controversy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/1609997...-violence-make-teens-aggressive/#.Tsbskj29Aos

Most basic arguments vs violence in games come around to that it's entertainment. Even the Bible has a beheading in it... so should you ban that book as it inspires violence?

What's interesting about it... Mindark used to have blood in game, but removed it to be politically correct... then they put pvp space in a few years later. Wonder when the blood will come back? I'm out of peds at the moment, now back to playing grand theft auto! ;)

P.s. If you want to get a hold of Jack Thompson, check out this link: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...t-ROCKtropia&p=2738935&viewfull=1#post2738935.

He doesn't do the sue the industry thing like he used to but might be able to direct you to some folks that can help out with rights issues... and/or game psychology stuff...

Alot of those were young kids. Children are sponges, so too much of violence, i can see that as a not to healthy

What's interesting about it... Mindark used to have blood in game, but removed it to be politically correct...

Actually, if I remember correctly it was so that the current (at the time) and future German players could actually play Entropia seeing as blood & gore isn't a big thing in video games over in Germany.
I could be mixing it up with another country, unlikely though.

Actually, if I remember correctly it was so that the current (at the time) and future German players could actually play Entropia seeing as blood & gore isn't a big thing in video games over in Germany.
I could be mixing it up with another country, unlikely though.

I miss the blood and the little dot from the laser sights

No, you still miss the point...

You still don't get it. There is nothing else but real life, if you are unaware. Everything that happens, happens in real life. Playing video game is a part of Your. Real. Life. Whether you have guts to admit it or not.

People tend put a lot of BS on top of what they are doing, like "it's just a game", "it's just an agreement", "it's not serious"...

BS.

You need to look through all the BS to see the bottom line. What exactly you are doing, the final output.

And the bottom line is:

"I spend my real time and real energy of my real life stealing real money from real people".

This is what is really happening, the fact. How you do it, where you do it and whatever BS reasons "why" you slap up on it - doesn't matter at all.

And the bottom line is:

"I spend my real time and real energy of my real life stealing real money from real people".

This is what is really happening, the fact. How you do it, where you do it and whatever BS reasons "why" you slap up on it - doesn't matter at all.

So if I play billard for money I am a thief when I win the match and get the money we both (my oponent and me) agreed to risk in that match?????
Ah me damn thief, I am really good at billard and very often win these matches! Why I am not sentenced to prison yet, as I am a thief?

PvP in this game is an agreement.
You don´t want to risk your goods, don´t enter lootable PvP carrying it. Easy as that.
Compare it to my billard activities:
You meet me at my local billard pub, and I aask you: Hey noob lets play a billard match $50 for the winner?
You don´t want to risk $50 just say No thanks. You think you are good and try your skills vs me, just say yes!
No matter who wins, none of us will be a criminal!

Its not stealing, its a competition! Nothing more.

You can´t compare a PK in EU with a thief that breaks into your RL house and robs all your valuables, as you surely didn´t agree that it is a fair competion between you and the thief.

RL thiefing is a crime.
Ingame PKing is an agreement for competition where you risk your stackables or even not (if you don´t carry any)

As said comparable to a billard match for money, but surely not comparable to RL thiefs or pirates.

Now stop this non-sense!

Alot of games have what you describe.
Its called dueling.
Both sides need do acept duel thru ingame GUI wich pop up like PM or trade confirmation.
Same games have also hard conseguences if player kill another without accepted duel fight.

Alot of games have what you describe.
Its called dueling.
Both sides need do acept duel thru ingame GUI wich pop up like PM or trade confirmation.
Same games have also hard conseguences if player kill another without accepted duel fight.

maybe so.. but we have something alot better.. PVP AREAS!

You still don't get it. There is nothing else but real life, if you are unaware. Everything that happens, happens in real life. Playing video game is a part of Your. Real. Life. Whether you have guts to admit it or not.

People tend put a lot of BS on top of what they are doing, like "it's just a game", "it's just an agreement", "it's not serious"...

BS.

You need to look through all the BS to see the bottom line. What exactly you are doing, the final output.

And the bottom line is:

Just so we're clear, whilst I am playing EU as part of (blatantly obviously) my real-life entertainment, I do not personally choose to take the risk of frequenting lootable pvp areas in game.

And in terms of response to the rest, you haven't added anything fundamentally new to your flawed argument so all I can offer you is:

No, you still miss the point. In real-life, if you walk in the park it is understood that it is illegal for someone to rob or kill you. If you go into PvP in EU it is understood that it is acceptable for someone to loot you. This is the whole point of PvP areas. By entering PvP with loot you are engaging in a competition, where you can legally loot other people and other people can legally loot you. The fact that not many people choose to take the risk means minerals and mobs there can have higher markup as they are rarely mined and hunted, which adds further incentive to enter and excitement to the competition.

Sorry, but likening PvP to RL crime is completely ludicrous, and I would imagine the comparison is quite offensive to anyone who has been a victim of the RL crimes you compare these game activities to.

I'm out, this topic isn't worthy of further discussion.

Last edited:
You don´t want to risk your goods, don´t enter lootable PvP carrying it. Easy as that.

so if i want to carry with me my stackables and i m homing in es. Arkadia i cannot go to NI, FOMA, CP, Calypso, RT, space, the future cyrene............... so for me the 70% of EU must be not accessible.
and why not create limited PVP zone where people can finally enjoy to PVP each other and allow the other ones to have a complete in game experience???

I agree if u dont like it dont enter pvp lootable OR hire someone that will insure ur stackables arrive safe like the thread starter is offering or an MS.

I may be Xanes first customer :)

oops wrong thread duh lol

Last edited:
why not create limited PVP zone where people can finally enjoy to PVP each other and allow the other ones to have a complete in game experience???

Because pvp space is part of that complete in game experience you just don't like it.

why not create limited PVP zone

Because MA didn't want space to work like that.

...why not create limited PVP zone where people can finally enjoy to PVP each other and allow the other ones to have a complete in game experience???

There are a few players who do enjoy the challenge of PVP competition, but the vast majority are only there for an easy kill on a defenseless victim. If those victims have an alternative, the pirate population will diminish instantly.

"dad....i see stupid people" OMG son where ? WHERE !? "i see them all around dad, they are all around us !!" Run son, RUN, get out of the thread son...GO !! Go now !!!!!!

"Daaaaaaaaddddd Noooooooooooooooooo !!!!! Noooooooooooooooo" Arggggggg " i looooveeeee you sonnnnn !!!!! "

Daaaaadddddddddddd !!!!

~ The end ~

Last edited:
to moronic reply or not to moronic reply, it's not even a question.. for some people it's the only way!

I doubt there will be any bigger changes to it, so it's either accept it
and take a chance in travelling, or stay on the planet of choice.
I do know MA suffering from this thou', and so do a part of the
playerbase, but if they do change it, they will probably still suffer
from it, and so will another part of the playerbase do too.
The question is, with what kind of space do they gain most?
Since there are no changes done, I guess we have the answer
already... well, at least for current playerbase. They do lose
potential players do to a lot of issues in EU, but that is another
topic thou'... :)

I doubt there will be any bigger changes to it, so it's either accept it
and take a chance in travelling, or stay on the planet of choice.
I do know MA suffering from this thou', and so do a part of the
playerbase, but if they do change it, they will probably still suffer
from it, and so will another part of the playerbase do too.
The question is, with what kind of space do they gain most?
Since there are no changes done, I guess we have the answer
already... well, at least for current playerbase. They do lose
potential players do to a lot of issues in EU, but that is another
topic thou'... :)

Yes interesting question - in what kind of space they gain most?
Trade embargo is just bad excuse because MA cud use same system as is used for Ancient grece and at other side we have owners with owerpaid too much expensive MS.
So with MS there is none of import export restrictions , is all safe and all messed up to acomodate few MS owners and few pirates.
Where are roobots to shoot down pirates and MS's?
Space now is same as PVP4 - still wery empty. MA cud gain much more if there were regular hunters on space horors.
For that i think there will be a lot more added.
After that we will get big sales of space LA's - private hunting grounds.
And once that happen we will have a lot of non pvp space - same as on Calypso owners will disable pvp for obvious reasons.

Oh lord. MindArk is not suffering from the design of space as lootable PvP.

Want to know how I know this?

Land Lot deeds projected ROI has gone up from 22% to 25%.

They're actually making more money now than they were a few months ago. To me that seems to be the opposite of suffering. Only a small vocal community actually seems to care about lootable space. The rest of the players simply play the game as its presented, and seem to be happy doing so.

They're actually making more money now than they were a few months ago. To me that seems to be the opposite of suffering. Only a small vocal community actually seems to care about lootable space. The rest of the players simply play the game as its presented, and seem to be happy doing so.

If MA don't get certain money at all, then they suffer due to that, simple logic... :)
And I do know this for 100%.
ROI could have been even higher due to this. ;)

They lost potential players due to issues within EU. PvP space is one of all.
This I do know for 100% too. :D

If MA don't get certain money at all, then they suffer due to that, simple logic... :)
And I do know this for 100%.
ROI could have been even higher due to this. ;)

They lost potential players due to issues within EU. PvP space is one of all.
This I do know for 100% too. :D

No you dont. Where are your facts and figures saying exclusively that space is the problem? Where's your report from MA that says "Space is bad! We must fix it!"

You have nothing more than an opinion, and everyone has one of those.

MA has botched space due to faulty implementation... primariliy due to lootable pvp...

It had undermined the growth of planets.
it has undermined space hunting
it has created a lot of angry and frustrated players.

Piracy in space has failed to generate interest among the player base. I take shower or do grocery shopping while travelling through space.. others have mentioned of playing eve online...... what more shame MA could expect from space.

MA may or may not admit... but those are facts.

There are many reason why RIO is up... i'll see how things are in next few months...

Cyrene launch might help... but my guess is from now on ROI will go down!

No you dont.Where are your facts and figures saying exclusively that space is the problem? Where's your report from MA that says "Space is bad! We must fix it!"

Exclusively is not the right word.

MA will never admit... but inderctly somewhere Ive read ND talked about implications of space on the planets

Last edited:

1. CLDs is going up
2. Redulite GLOBALS has been started again since 2009, after two (!!!) years gap
3. Tracker shows amount of active miners above 2k, recently it was below
4. New names globalling/hoffing in chat

5. All that above in... most dead period - in the end of old year/beginning new one

Only damn blind person can't see in all that above - most important thing, which is happening right now - playerbase growth!

I really want to know, what MA did with advertising.

Lootable PvP only seems to be a problem for about two dozen people on this board, if that.

Nobody else seems concerned. Including the rest of the community on this board.

It's not a problem.

Case closed.

Lootable PvP only seems to be a problem for about two dozen people on this board, if that.

Nobody else seems concerned. Including the rest of the community on this board.

It's not a problem.

Case closed.

Lootable pvp isn't a problem imo, since there are ways to get around it.
Remove all kind of safe ways to transport stackables, and you'll probably see more
complaining. ;)

No you dont. Where are your facts and figures saying exclusively that space is the problem? Where's your report from MA that says "Space is bad! We must fix it!"

We need to look at stuff in a wider perspective, and not just a narrow
p.o.v of EU.
This isn't about MA, this is about potential players that didn't join, simple
as that.

They didn't think EU were interesting enough, due to several things and
issues. Funny thou' some of them do understand EULA better then
some of excisting players... :D
Wrong type of people? Most definitly not.

And this I do still know for 100%. :D

Btw, about CLDs ROI going up... odd if it didn't, since how many don't
use their dividend for gaming?
Probably most of all dividend is cycled back in system, increasing it some.
My diviend is above what I use to spend, so I don't spend less just because
I get dividend.
But there are most probably a lot of variations of this in whole playerbase.
One thing is for sure thou', CLDs do increase ingame turnover, even thou'
that says s**t of reality. :D

MA has botched space due to faulty implementation... primariliy due to lootable pvp...

It had undermined the growth of planets.
it has undermined space hunting
it has created a lot of angry and frustrated players.

*Snipped*

Nope....
Nope....
And if you meen a few then yep.. otherwise nope... :)

What I think is missing here is the fact that only MA know's exactly what they have in line of future intentions with space. Until they come straight out with thier plans, I think they know what is happening and if it is truley causing them to lose money, you can sure bet they will fix it asap!! ;)

Ma and ofc some ppl here cud look how players on Calypso voted about pvp in general.
We have most or maybe all LA's non pvp except for sporadic evets.
There is a reason why LA's owners turned it off.
For that i find wrong to measure comunty by "two dozen people on this board".
Do we need to count pirates in space and rest of player base on planets + ppl who play mostly on forum?

Back