Quiet question about knowing what is ok and what isn't...

jetsina

Elite
As far as I am aware, we are allowed to do anything our avatars and the universe 'tools' allow us to, as long as this doesn't have unintended consequences or stops others from enjoying the universe. These consequences generally seem to be related to having some kind of advantage over others and/or the 'system'.
The question: how are we supposed to know if something is intended or not if we are also encouraged to explore functions and find things out for ourselves?
Almost any combination could be see as 'unintended results' if MA or planet partners want to claim that "Oh, we didn't think of that"!
Examples? Ok, why not be crazy:
1: unintended for ppl to use a finisher gun (it was expected ppl would fire the same weapon to the end)
2: ppl using event start teleportation as a free return trip from a remote mining location (and the new forts even have storage right on hand!)
3: firing a distance shot at a big mob and driving away fast in a vehicle to be able to jump out and get another shot from the same relative distance - rinse and repeat.

So, which of these is a 'universal sin'? Apparently using a vtol for example 3, but aren't some land vehicles actually faster? Is it the difference that mobs get attracted to cars but not vtols, so other mobs may join in and stop the idea? Well, if so, why not just attract one mob on the edge of a spawn into an area without mobs and drive backwards and forwards between each set of shots? It it a difference of how hard something is to do (or whether it works), or the principle itself behind an idea?
So far, neither official comments nor forum discussions have helped me become 'any wiser';). There isn't even a thread as far as I can tell of 'official' no-nos. I look forward to a civilised discussion of thoughts around this subject...

Someone posted a reply from support that using any vehicle to run from a mob then fire, then run, then fire..........was an exploit.

Someone posted a reply from support that using any vehicle to run from a mob then fire, then run, then fire..........was an exploit.

What if you do it to get the mob away from a mining claim? is it an exploit too? Is an avatar gaining unfair advantage for it?

I think you just need to work on the theory that ' If it seems too good to be true, it is!'

I think you just need to work on the theory that ' If it seems too good to be true, it is!'

Bingo! It's what I've been saying for awhile now :)

~Danimal

someone...somewhere...i think... - this is bs imho. If we get no official notice - yes, every single player, on that e-mail that was used to create account - it is bull shit. This isn't about common sence even - this is about real money, chance to lose it , and strict rules should be applied. And those rules have to be clearly brought to everyones attention, and not via post on a forum by someone somewhere (nothing against Optima - i mean in general). And when new features come and changes occur, info about this changes should also be brought to peoples attention.

So the concern by OP is totally legit.

someone...somewhere...i think... - this is bs imho. If we get no official notice - yes, every single player, on that e-mail that was used to create account - it is bull shit. This isn't about common sence even - this is about real money, chance to lose it , and strict rules should be applied. And those rules have to be clearly brought to everyones attention, and not via post on a forum by someone somewhere (nothing against Optima - i mean in general). And when new features come and changes occur, info about this changes should also be brought to peoples attention.

So the concern by OP is totally legit.

I was just pointing out something I knew to help them clarify. Basically if you think it's an exploit then send a support case. Maybe they'll get sick of support cases and post something official.

If the creature gets stuck or cannot reach you for whatever reason will be considered an exploit.:wise:

If the creature gets stuck or cannot reach you for whatever reason will be considered an exploit.:wise:

I know this is from your support case so its an official statement but if we are to take this literally then by their own definition VTOL hunting isn't an exploit because the mob isn't getting 'stuck' its just losing agro just like when it goes off radar.

I know this is from your support case so its an official statement but if we are to take this literally then by their own definition VTOL hunting isn't an exploit because the mob isn't getting 'stuck' its just losing agro just like when it goes off radar.

No, because he said or. So that means if the creature gets stuck, it is an exploit - and seperately if the creature cannot reach you, it is an exploit.

Last edited:
What if you do it to get the mob away from a mining claim? is it an exploit too? Is an avatar gaining unfair advantage for it?

I would imagine it is an exploit.

This I don`t think you can consider an exploit unless your being very very picky. Your not attempting to gain from the mob and is no different than running it away, dying, then reviving to go back to the claim leaving the mob alone. In fact if it were an exploit than you`d never be able to escape from revivals and teleporters that would be unusable due to mob infestation as I`ve done several times the past few days. Especially on Next Island atm where I see avatars stuck in a repeated death sequence at several teleporters to no fault of their own. Also to clear areas to activate a beacon in the old days where the participants have no chance to take down the big mobs that occupy the area. Definitely a reach to call this an exploit. But when you consider MA ( or ND as well) an infaillible god then anything is possible I guess.

No, because he said or. So that means if the creature gets stuck, it is an exploit - and if the creature cannot reach you, it is an exploit.

lol ok so lets take that literally also which would make outrunning a mob with a vehicle or just on foot an exploit also.

My point with the VTOL is that its not like it can't reach it just doesn't want too anymore.

I know this could be seen as arguing semantics but to me its just a bullshit way of saying "Damn you people,stop using your brains and just play like a dumbo and decay as much as possible like we intended.Screw it,lets just call it an exploit but not really do anything about it".

This I don`t think you can consider an exploit unless your being very very picky. Your not attempting to gain from the mob and is no different than running it away, dying, then reviving to go back to the claim leaving the mob alone. In fact if it were an exploit than you`d never be able to escape from revivals and teleporters that would be unusable due to mob infestation as I`ve done several times the past few days. Especially on Next Island atm where I see avatars stuck in a repeated death sequence at several teleporters to no fault of their own. Also to clear areas to activate a beacon in the old days where the participants have no chance to take down the big mobs that occupy the area. Definitely a reach to call this an exploit. But when you consider MA ( or ND as well) an infaillible god then anything is possible I guess.

Actually most of those people are death training, although a few are legitimately trapped. And I did say I imagine it would be an exploit. At least I think that's what MA would call it. Frankly I really don't care if it is or not.

How about if i try to lure the mob away on foot? (Dying a few times probably in the process)

See my above post. I said I imagine it would be an exploit, at least according to MA.

NEW ITEM INVENTED

cement shoes for hunting you can hunt whit out them you shoot you cant move till the mob is kill

what bs

you play and use what you can to hunt

so realy in so all the poeple that are using the vehicule in pvp as a sheild are exploiting

when they jump out and stand in the midle of the car using the hit box of the car as a sheild

Why on earth should a Hunter not use a vehicle to defend his life?

How cruel is this?

Why on earth should a Hunter not use a vehicle to defend his life?

Nobody objects to using a vehicle to escape. People and MA object to exploiting a VTOL as perfect armor since mobs don't attack VTOLs.

Nobody objects to using a vehicle to escape. People and MA object to exploiting a VTOL as perfect armor since mobs don't attack VTOLs.

They dont attack the VTOLS, because they cant. This is a reason to use VTOLs to rescue lifes! This is a human reaction.

Question: Why do hunter use raised hides?

Last edited:
You know what... all this bitching and whining about VTOLs and what "Is" or "Is Not" an exploit is gonna bite EVERYONE in the ass. They're gonna allow mobs to aggro on VTOLs now and next time one of you whiners is out hunting and someone flies over head with a VTOL and 20 Spider Stalkers in tow (unintentionally... just out for a Sunday Fly) don't come whining about it here cuz you did it to yourself!

Shit... someone was using an exploit... taking money from OUR pockets. They got caught and probably temp banned and now everyone is in an uproar? Why not just let it go? There's been several support cases posted here stating that using vehicles to gain an advantage over creatures while hunting IS AN EXPLOIT.

Common sense. Ok.... here we go now... everybody ready for this?

If you are hunting a mob that NORMALLY is able to damage you causing decay, and you use ANYTHING in-world other than gear designed for use within the Hunting profession, so as NOT to take damage or even as much damage, then you are exploiting. Trees, rocks, glitching items to stand on in the air, VTOLs, other vehicles, "underground bug", etc, etc, etc.... are all examples of exploits and any moron can figure that out!

"Hey man! I figured out how to take down an uber mob naked WITHOUT having a Mod Fap behind me! WOOT! Hey community, check out my loot!". Exactly what do people expect to happen? Maybe next exploit could directly pull PEDs off all of your PED cards and THEN you might be able to understand.

If ANYONE here isn't capable of KNOWING what cheating is... then I'm sure you're exploiting yourselves and should be banned as well.

Menace

If you are hunting a mob that NORMALLY is able to damage you causing decay, and you use ANYTHING in-world other than gear designed for use within the Hunting profession, so as NOT to take damage or even as much damage, then you are exploiting.

No. If you dont take damage, then you are just cleverer than anyone who takes damage.

Your profession is to avoid damage. There are enough options given to reduce damage. A good eco means by your logic a tiny exploit.

And maybe Luck is a scam? What do you think?

No. If you dont take damage, then you are just cleverer than anyone who takes damage.

Your profession is to avoid damage. There are enough options given to reduce damage. A good eco means by your logic a tiny exploit.

And maybe Luck is a scam? What do you think?

It's an exploit, not being cleaver. You have been here since 06 and still haven't figured out the difference?

LOL - I wonder if hunter gatherers had the same problem when mammoths accused them of cheating for sharpening rocks and putting them on the ends of sticks?

But seriously Menace - my question was more than about 1 thing or technique, even though most answers have been about the one example of my three which has actually happened.
Intelligence is often about combining methods and/or actions in sequence. The universe should be able to cater for some intelligence without it being considered an exploit. I think most people so far disagree with you about common sense on this. I realise 'common' sense doesn't have to be majority thinking either, but if many people disagree with you, let them express their thoughts without coming close to insulting them please.

MA should be clear about the use of intelligence in this universe lol - but ty for taking the time to reply Menace :)

What if I get a 5 figure HOF or an ATH is that an exploit? Cause it would seem too good to be true! :laugh:

OK, everyone with those give them back! :D

It's an exploit, not being cleaver. You have been here since 06 and still haven't figured out the difference?

Why?

By supposing an exploit, is meant a deficient product, that prevents natural logic and intelligence. You cant blame the user.

But its your fault, when you entrust your finances to a holey product, that has unpleasant functions.

Why?

By supposing an exploit, is meant a deficient product, that prevents natural logic and intelligence. You cant blame the user.

But its your fault, when you entrust your finances to a holey product, that has unpleasant functions.

Because it's forbidden in the rules, the same rules you agree to every time you launch the client. If you have a problem with that then hit the decline button.

As to your question asking why hunters use blinds. Because it is not forbidden. Although what weapons you can use at what time is restricted. You can't use a rifle during bow or muzzle season. You can't hunt bear in the fall. You can't hunt deer in the spring. You can't shoot across a road. You can't shoot in the direction of a home or town if you are with in 2km(1 1/4 miles) of them(assuming they are visible, not on higher ground, etc). You can not hunt in provincial parks. You need one tag per animal. If you have a tag for a whitetail and you shoot a mule deer your in trouble. I could keep going but I think you get the point. You can not compare RL hunting to hunting in EU, nothing the same.

So if you manage to get a noob to give you his armour by convincing him you can colour it, you are just cleverer than those who don't, yes?

Back