society names

Is it okay to create a society with similar name to an existing one?

• Yes

Votes: 41 13.7%
  • Not if the name is similar to a well known society

Votes: 54 18.1%
  • Only if the other society agrees to it

Votes: 91 30.4%
  • No, first come first served

Votes: 113 37.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roughrider

Old Alpha
Steven Talon Gates
Myself and a few others have recently quit our society to create a new , more serious one. As allways there is a discussion when it comes to the name.
After many heated discussions we settled on "supremacy" which we thought was a good name.
However it seems that someone from a clan with supremacy in it is not too happy about this. We can respect that but as the game grows and more and more societies are being created, catchy names are becomming scarce.
Take the name "ghost" for example...2 pages of societies with the name Ghost in them.
There is only one with supremacy...supremacy reign.
Please understand that I am NOT complaining about ANYONE in this society, it is just a question. Is it wrong for us to call ourselves "supremacy"?

If you call yourselves something like "Extreme Supremacy" or "Supremacy XXXXXXX" it's more ok to me than if you just use the plain Supremacy.

But im not the one to decide. :D

If you call yourselves something like "Extreme Supremacy" or "Supremacy XXXXXXX" it's more ok to me than if you just use the plain Supremacy.

But im not the one to decide. :D

what, like "Supremacy Rain"? :laugh: (joke, sry)

Well they don't own the word supremacy...

It would be a bit rude of you if you'd called it "Supremacy Elite" or something but you're just using a word, a word already used in-game for a set of armour... :confused:

Its a toughy that one.

I suppose no-one could really argue with "Supremacy" A good name on its own and one of the better armours ingame etc. Or even Supremacy Force or whatever.

But for sure Supremacy Reign would have something say if you made a "Supremacy Reign Reloaded" or "Supremacy Reigns" or something very similar to their combination.

the Obvious problem is that if someone in either soc behaves badly it can come back on the other. causing unwanted headaches for both. personally id steer away from similar names as another soc Esp one that is Much Much older than your Own.

Myself and a few others have recently quit our society to create a new , more serious one. As allways there is a discussion when it comes to the name.
After many heated discussions we settled on "supremacy" which we thought was a good name.
However it seems that someone from a clan with supremacy in it is not too happy about this. We can respect that but as the game grows and more and more societies are being created, catchy names are becomming scarce.
Take the name "ghost" for example...2 pages of societies with the name Ghost in them.
There is only one with supremacy...supremacy reign.
Please understand that I am NOT complaining about ANYONE in this society, it is just a question. Is it wrong for us to call ourselves "supremacy"?

IMO it shouldn't be a problem as far as Supremacy Reign themselves is concerned. Well, the two socs can be mixed up but those things normally can be sorted out. I'd be more concerned about the fact that there's armour with the same name.

You're saying that all cool names are taken away already? Well, you need to be more creative! :) Do you really think I came up with "The White Dots" in a fraction of a second? That one developed and all comments I hear about the name are positive ones. So I guess the time was worth it.

Normally you get bad response rather soon. Before "The White Dots" I had "God's advisors" and I hadn't seen so many people before scanning me and more or less complaining... :rolleyes:

the Obvious problem is that if someone in either soc behaves badly it can come back on the other. causing unwanted headaches for both. personally id steer away from similar names as another soc Esp one that is Much Much older than your Own.

Hit the nail on the head with that post. +rep

Personally, as a SR member I would say this exact same thing, I know its getting tough to come up with unique names, but as long as you keep it very obvious its a different soc than our 4 branches of SR, shouldn't be a problem.

I am a little surprised to learn that our 4 branches of SR are the only socs using the word Supremacy.

Coat sKillers maybe? :rolleyes:

:p

There have been a few:

- cK Clown Killers
- gK Goat Killers

Either of which i'm pretty sure doesn't bother anybody as these are "Joke"
society names. The problem comes when a new society is clearly trying to immitate the original and that can cause problems when trying to identify who is who.

I voted no. I would view it as rude. But thats me.

I voted no, as you can choose any name that isn't already taken. But I would think you'd want to choose a name that allows your society to be recognized for it's own acheivements. Picking a name that is too similar to another group's name would lead to confusion.

nice to see that more than I see it ass a tough nutt to crack.
Offcourse we dont want to be misstaken for SR...infact i didnt even know about them untill after we started the society and went in to check it and saw the 4 branches.:ahh:
We are looking into adding a word that would differentiate it from them.
However i do wonder why an old society or well known society should get more respect than ones that aren't new.:scratch2: I mean...i've met *¨:>'?+#¤'es from well respected societies and wonderfull people from odd ones.
I agree that calling yourself warrants2 can cause som difficulties in PVP :laugh:
This is simmilar to the company "Monster" that makes high end cables...they sue EVERYONE that have tha word monster in their company name...even the movie monsters inc. :eek:

Oh well, we will solve it without blodshed or hard feelings im sure.
Thanks for the input

The problem comes when a new society is clearly trying to immitate the original and that can cause problems when trying to identify who is who.

yeah like those socs before that named themselves after socs they had been kicked from and stuff, and then tried to scam and be rude to ppl... :rolleyes:

Its in poor taste IMO but if you absolutely must be called Supremacy, you gotta do what you gotta do.

What really sucks is for the next guy who wants to be the original fonder of.....The New Supremacy, Supremacy X, The Dead Supremacy Society, West Coast Supreme Supremacy Avenger Society....woe is him....the name has been taken.

Break out the thesaurus and the dictionary, you might be surprised.

Just to be clear, I voted yes.

I voted only if the other soc agrees to it. Specially if the name likeness is chosen as a way to honor or parody and not to cause confusion which is malicious (Like the "cK Clown Killers" example) or perhaps "eAe (everything AND everywhere)".

I'm not talking in behalf of my superiors, but I think it'd be generally seen as less of bad taste or misleading a society called "Lootin' Villains" or "Kingdom of Villains" rather than "Skilling Villains" or "Skillin Villains" which could be seen as an attempt to decieve.

There have been a few:

- cK Clown Killers
- gK Goat Killers

Either of which i'm pretty sure doesn't bother anybody as these are "Joke"
society names. The problem comes when a new society is clearly trying to immitate the original and that can cause problems when trying to identify who is who.

cK Clown Killers :wtg:

I voted only if the other soc agrees to it. Specially if the name likeness is chosen as a way to honor or parody and not to cause confusion which is malicious (Like the "cK Clown Killers" example) or perhaps "eAe (everything AND everywhere)".

I'm not talking in behalf of my superiors, but I think it'd be generally seen as less of bad taste or misleading a society called "Lootin' Villains" or "Kingdom of Villains" rather than "Skilling Villains" or "Skillin Villains" which could be seen as an attempt to decieve.

Great examples N-X, I think that's exactly right.

If I saw either of those last two examples I'd be taking action immediately, and doing whatever I could to get them to change their name. If they genuinely didn't know about our soc, I'm sure they'd be happy to change it. If their attempt was malicious, I'd make damn sure everyone knew about it, including MA.

On the other hand if it was Lootin' Villains, I'd probably have a quiet word or make some enquiries just to check whether someone was trying to do something underhand, but I guess it wouldn't be a problem.

Supremacy/Supremacy Reign is a bit of a tricky one. SR are a very established and well-known society, and I have to say that when I hear the word "Supremacy", I immediately think of SR. But having said that, it would be clear to me that the Supremacy society aren't related, as they don't have the "Reign" part in their name, which I think all of the SR socs do.

I voted for the third option, that seems closest to what I think.

Hehe I thought the Goat Killers was funnier :D

So you're from the evil clowns' side!? :eek:

Err...

Nothing to see here! Back to the topic guys! :D

I voted no.

but if you feel like this is the name you want to take, send a message to the existing "supr...."(dont know how to spell it :D ) and ask them how they feel about it.

Well known (at least) societies can get other societies whose name is too similar disbanded. I am speaking from experience...

It's just like with avatar names.

There are hundreds of thousands of words in the english language, and millions more in others, so there is no reason to create a society with a name similar to one that is already established.

Really it comes down to using your best judgment... I don't see anything wrong with using Supremacy, or a variation there of. After all there are so many similar named societies that start with "Calypso", "Entropia".. As long as you don't use Supr3macy R3ign or Reign of Supremacy... you should be fine.

Good Luck!

I agree with the others who have said basically that if there is a real difference there is no problem.

As a proud member of Delta Force, I have no problem with a soc named "Delta" "Delta Team", or "Alpha Force", but I would not be happy if someone used the name "Delta Farce" or "Delte Force".

That said, I personally would try to avoid coming too close to the name of any long established soc simply out of respect for their longevity. I would try to come up with something unique, memorable, and very creative.

It's a free world, so in theory you could call yourselves Supremacy Reigns. However it is polite to not have the names too close to each other, or even names whic hrefer to other socs (e.g. "Better than Supremacy Reign"). Supremacy would be completely OK for me, especially if you all go around with Supremacy armour on. Actually that would be a cool idea.
Why do you want to call yourselves Supremacy? There must be some reasoning behind the name apart from it sounding good? A team calling itself Supremacy would need to live up to its name, or it would just sound a bit silly. (Team "Supremacy" killed a creature (Snablesnot young) with a value of 50 PED)

Tricky one.:scratch2:
How about "The Supremacy"?
Wouldnt offend imo, similar but still not or, hmm.
/Arwen

I voted yes to if it's ok, as i don't think anyone has the right to stop people from naming a soc what they want (save for a downright deceptive name-"Menaces to society", "XXX_CK_COAT_KILLERS_XXX" or the like).A name that has similarities, but is not deceptive is ok, but i still don't think it's the best idea...

thoughts on this:

1: as you grow in game, you'll probably want a soc name that sticks out. By naming your soc something similar to an established soc., you risk being branded by some as imitators, even if it's not your intent. Aside from giving your soc mates a "shoot me" sign in pvp, this may hurt your recruiting if you get to the point when you can attract mid level players.

2.A few might even think that the near similarity is a deliberate scam attempt, trying to capitalize on the reputation of another soc to attract people to do business. While I personally think there is enough of a difference between "supremacy" and "supremacy reign", a few might think youre trying to create a false affiliation... you need to decide if its worth it.

3.it's annoying to think someone is "stealing your bit". and people empathize with that. A soc calling itself the "holy umbranoids" and using the HU akronym might draw some groans from the community, particularly from Hunters Unlimited.

I guess while there's nothing wrong with similarities, It's somewhat of a courtesy that might be in your best interest to fulfil.

+ rep for bringing the question to the community, and best of luck with the new soc.

*repeat what every one has said blah blah respect others blah blah make sure is difference blah blah*

You get the point ;)

I voted if ok with society btw :)

Back