Transportation to other planets!

[Public] How should we transport to new planets?

• Total voters
I'd love to fly to it and watch calypso disapear :)

what ever way they going to do it it's probably allready been decided and maybe even done.

however in the last chat frank or marco mentioned community would have input in some new systems. Maybe this will be one of them. Maybe they'll only release planet calypso with vu10 first and then release space travel after.

what ever way they going to do it it's probably allready been decided and maybe even done.

however in the last chat frank or marco mentioned community would have input in some new systems. Maybe this will be one of them. Maybe they'll only release planet calypso with vu10 first and then release space travel after.

well they said that CE2 and planets will come now, and space travel later :scratch2: so I guess they will have some temporary system or something inbetween? :silly2:

Care to provide a link to that quote?

i cant find it but it sounds familiar. at the very least there will be client portal loading direct to the alternative planets, i suspect a great many second avatars will be made to have a look. we wont find sweaters saving up to pay for a flight as some suggest above.

i cant find it but it sounds familiar. at the very least there will be client portal loading direct to the alternative planets, i suspect a great many second avatars will be made to have a look. we wont find sweaters saving up to pay for a flight as some suggest above.

Yes, I think so too. Same as new avatars can be created(born) directly on CND if they register via CND website.

I`ve been reading thru all statements that came from MA and also monitored the chats on EF, Xfire etc quite religiously and I`m pretty confident when saying MA never made such claim. They never claimed there will be alternative means of transportation to the system already in place or 2 systems running in parallel. I urge you(Nighthawk ;)) to prove me wrong.

Give a small (one seat) ship to every player :yay:
They will be able to travel to any other planet but take a couple hours or so to get there. Plus you will have to fight space pirates, asteroids and other stuff while traveling. You can also team with up to 11 other avatars to make the trip safer. Maybe space could be PVP but with more balanced chances to everybody since it will actually be your piloting skills what counts and not the size of your pedcard.

Upgrade the pilot´s ships to a 10 seat spacecraft for comercial flight.

For the people that is in a hurry or doesn´t want to spend ammo and decay on his ship there still is the option to take a "comercial flight" It takes only a few minutes and you are safe from any danger because this are Huge ships with lots of guns and nobody can take them down.

Portals are ok too but it would make interplanetary travel a bit dull

They never claimed there will be alternative means of transportation to the system already in place or 2 systems running in parallel. I urge you(Nighthawk ;)) to prove me wrong.

well I have read or heard it somewhere, I am 99,98% sure... it is up to you to belive me or not ;)

the keywords in the quote are:
"the current hangars and spaceships will not be the only way to get to the new planets"

could mean that they will use hangars and spaceships, but not just the ones featured now? I mean cmon, anyone can see that the current mass of pilots is way too little for the interplanetary travel :laugh:

I mean cmon, anyone can see that the current mass of pilots is way too little for the interplanetary travel :laugh:

Actually there are more than enough pilots as it is, as Ozi pointed out.
MA doesn`t want people leaving their planet, customers they`ve struggled for so long to get and hold on to. This is why planet partners have to market their planet themselves and bring their own customer base. MA made it very clear to planet partners that they`re not interested in just sharing the userbase and that every partner needs to get their own players in. David from MA clearly stated traveling to other planets will be expensive and there`s a reason for that(I can provide the link btw;)).

David from MA clearly stated traveling to other planets will be expensive and there`s a reason for that(I can provide the link btw;)).

can you give the link for that please. I had no idea it would be expensive ...

...and I can't see where he says it will be expensive? :scratch2:

only that it will cost more to get to some planets than others...

maybe I am just blind :D

I think that`s just an euphemistic way of saying it. I can try scoop another reference where they talk about travel and that will be expensive. This is not the only one.

I assume there are a lot of work to transfer an avatar to an other planet (Game enivroment ) I heard something like this before in SL , a lot of big companies were working on it...
so would be veyr tough and no cheap lol
I hope we have paid enough with our loot lol

I think it will be a long trip to the other planets, maybe 24 hours travel with sublight engine , veyr low fee

if you want fast , proably cost you a lot, with warpengine lol or wormholes... a lot of peds

I think maybe even interstella cruiseship, like Neverdie Astroide, with one or twoo biodome , it transfer people from planet to planet.. it has swimpole and disco and a lot of hot chicks.. and caramba!!!

I would like to be an interstellar cruisship captain. carry sweaters to new sweating paradise. " Warp 9 , engage number one !"

yeh I will put some photon torpedos and klingon disrubtors, see how Neverdie's spacepirates can enter my ship :yay:

Fire all phasers!!

Actually there are more than enough pilots as it is

well not right now, but if we reasonably assume that the planets will want to have home grown pilots, i suppose a 3-4x increase in pilot/ship capacity might be sufficient. :cool:

this touches on an important point about the current hangar system, it isnt practical for any sort of expansion. unless they are to be the only hangars in game, with all planets rely on them and have CP/CND style landing bays, significant change to the mechanics will be needed.

Alot of good input in this trhead. We all know what Marco and company has said and we`ve heard about space pirates too. Perhaps there will be one method to transfer direct for casual travel such as portals or teleporters and the player owned ships will be able to take a more scenic route that involves the chance for encounters with pirates etc. I think that would be a great way to go. It allows for easy travel and accomodates the more advanced and adventurous players too while adding more elements to the game play. I`d pay to fly with a pilot for some encounters as opposed to free transport all the time for some extra excitement.

significant change to the mechanics will be needed.

That`s why they`ve said when the bug allowing renting of hangars was fixed. We should expect a total revamp of the hangars and flying system.

I voted for player owned spaceships.
If MA makes travel free with portals between planets then they have effectively destroyed all chances for pilots to increase their ability to earn peds with their ships. Hangars and ships will decrease in value and many big players will loose thousands of peds, That would be disastrous for EU's economy.

I dont think MA would change the whole traveling system, but hopefully they will improve the pilot system from the way it is today...would be fun to see what those cannons on the ships are good for ;)

p.s. No I am not a pilot or a hangar owner and I DO grudge a bit now and again over the traveling costs to cnd

hmmm...

Maybe Neverdie can put an engine on that astroid...

then it could be the spaceship to take a lot of people over to the new planet... At various times when he moves the big rock, it would depend on where he put it as to where the pilots are able to land.

I voted for Player-owned Spaceships

Reasons:-
- Giving extra business to the spacestation market
- Allows increased business activity to either existing or new pilots
- Makes it a 'special' place to go, away from calypso

On the whole, unless your exploring, I dont think new people really need to visit the new planets

I would bet 20 PEDs that the transfer to other planets other than those directly connected to FPC will go through CND.
That "egg will surely hatch a portal that will directly transfer you to any planet/time you like, directly deducting 10 PEDs of your card.
I highly doubt that more hangars will be built on Calypso and the current system seems to be just about adequate for the current transfers, anything above that and one would have to wait even longer for a flight.
Besides, wasn't there a hint in the chat that the mystery of the egg will be revealed soon (TM) ?! :D

Besides, wasn't there a hint in the chat that the mystery of the egg will be revealed soon (TM) ?! :D

a hint? ;) they said it will be hatched "by the end of spring, or in early summer" :D more than a hint if you ask me ;)

they say that the egg "contains something that will blow your mind"... My guess is still a minor nerve blast chip :D

Other

how about magic carpets sold in TT for 1 ped
with monkey trained as pilot:eek:

I highly doubt player owned transport will be implemented as a method of transportation to another planet (maybe as an alternative means only). If, as an owner of a planet, I was to learn that was the only method for people to visit my planet was vis spaceships, forget about it.

Can you imagine the logistics in organising people to move from one planet to another in a player owned spaceship, especially if these spaceships were to increase in passenger size? Time wastage everywhere with this method.

Free portals or small fee teleports are the best way of transportation to and from.

Realistically ingame items are ~1.6 times more expensive than that of the real world version [0]. so given that it it costs 10,000,000,000 PED to travel to mars [1]. It would prolly cost us ingame with a player owned spacecraft ~16,000,000,000 PED or depositing now every single cent I earn in real life [2] for the next ~53,300 years in fees to travel to the new planet. I think this will be a better option.

References:

[0] Vexed Generation prices in the Reindeer Building: Real World Item (Ninja Hood Jacket) 1750 PED, Ingame (Ninja Hood Jacket (F)) 2811 PED, 2811/1750 = 1.606

[1] http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_money_will_it_cost_to_travel_to_Mars

[2] Based of 30,000 USD /yr

I think we will log in on the planet we choose to visit, the website/s suggest this method now.

IF space travel within EU is also going to be possible there will need to be some reason to use it, imagine we could login either on Calypso or CND freely now for example...why would anyone use pilots?

Allowing space craft would mean seriously better experiences would be needed inflight...not just sit, belt up, white screen...we're there.

I'm not holding my breath for anything ground shaking, and definitely have no fear of meeting space pirates. :silly2:

t

Though I'm not a pilot and probably will never have enough ped to become one, I voted "Player-owned spaceships".

IF I were a pilot, I would definitely be P.O.'d if they undercut me in being able to use my skill/ship(s).

Yes - travel will be expensive; but really, what in EU isn't? Besides, I think it will add more variety and flavor to the universe if you had to do stop-overs. Also, stop-overs make for more income for the shop owners at the various stops. And so not only pilots, but shop owners benefit.

These are my preferences -- which are no doubt moot by now in the development stage... surely MA and the partners have already decided one way or the other.

I highly doubt player owned transport will be implemented as a method of transportation to another planet (maybe as an alternative means only). If, as an owner of a planet, I was to learn that was the only method for people to visit my planet was vis spaceships, forget about it.

Can you imagine the logistics in organising people to move from one planet to another in a player owned spaceship, especially if these spaceships were to increase in passenger size? Time wastage everywhere with this method.

Free portals or small fee teleports are the best way of transportation to and from.

...well here´s an idea;

Both free teleport & player owned transportships CAN share space...but if you choose the "free" option i.e. the tp option..u can ONLY send your avatar through it...whilst goin on a transportship, you can bring just about anything you want...I guess the captain of the ship perhaps could/might/should(?!) lol... have the option to charge you a bit extra if your overloading the ship w/ junk though...part from that sky would be the limit! :)

I think we will log in on the planet we choose to visit, the website/s suggest this method now.

Except that Marco has said VERY clearly that you will start where you last logged off in the universe...

Allowing space craft would mean seriously better experiences would be needed inflight...not just sit, belt up, white screen...we're there.

"Will come later" :D

I think a transport ship is out of the question. We all know how long it takes to get 4 ppl, I cant imagine even the wait for 10.

My guess is free gate....till the player base builds over there. Then the gate will get blasted in coming bot war and be replaced with incredibly expensive to use adjusted L jump gates which site in space and only accessible by ship. Ships will have to pay a fee to use the gate, unless they have their own jump ship. The owners of the L gates will have to pay engineers to maintain the L junk in the gates, as suitable UL renewable resources have not been found yet. Would like to see price per click on warp core or solar sail :D

Free at first till every ones vested in it.

Hmmmm :scratch2:

Somehow I get the feeling that we will be going here to travel to another planet: http://mindark.se/planetroster/roster.html

I also think, for the most part, that we will be creating separate avatars for these other planets. I just don't see someone from Calypso exactly 'fitting in' over in barbie world. ;) Perhaps between a few select planets avatars will be able to travel back and forth via space flight or whatever, but for the most part I think the worlds will be somewhat isolated from one another.

Back