What would YOU do? An EU ethical question...

What would you do? (Please read the post before answering...)

• Buy it for what he's asking: ~1%

Votes: 94 26.8%
  • Buy it for ~10%

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Buy it for ~80-90%

Votes: 37 10.5%
  • Buy it for the full market value to help him

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Don't buy it, but inform him of the 'real' value

Votes: 163 46.4%
  • Depends on how much I need PEDs on that day

Votes: 17 4.8%
  • Depends on my mood

Votes: 33 9.4%
  • Make the trade in PvP3, pay him in Animal Oil, and kill him with his own gun and loot him

Votes: 50 14.2%
  • I honestly don't know what I'd do...

Votes: 46 13.1%
  • Who cares about ethics

Votes: 18 5.1%

• Total voters

Vedder

Marauder
Imagine this:

A (semi-)newbie has gotten hold of a ML-35 Mentor Edition, and has no clue what it's worth. (It can sell for around 35k I think)
He's trying to sell it to you for less than 1% of it's actual value...
WHAT DO YOU DO?

Feel free to use another item as example (Mod fap? E2600? imk2? Uber dress?) if that makes the question more 'real' or interesting.
Oh and btw... These things *do* happen in EU. I've seen it a few time, though not with as expensive items as ml-me.

EDIT: The situation is less likely to arise now that MA made auction sale stats availble, but it still happens. And besides it's a hypothetical question anyway, so your answer is more interesting than the frequence of the situations occurrence.

Last edited:
Well, I would inform him about the value and let him sell it for that, or I would have bought it myself for the real value, if I were looking for such a firearm.

Oh, and feel free to discuss and post comments.

Can't wait to see the results of the poll :D

Tell him what it's worth. Wouldn't buy it myself because I don't need a gun like that. ;)

i would buy it from him for the price he was asking, use it a bit (say a week) then pass it back and tell him the real value. everyones a winner :beerchug:

i would buy it from him for the price he was asking, use it a bit (say a week) then pass it back and tell him the real value.

How about if he found out the real value during that time..? Do you think he would see you as honest? :scratch:

I dont think this poll will work. In a way you ask "are you a scammer". A scammer would lie and say no.

How about if he found out the real value during that time..? Do you think he would see you as honest? :scratch:

in my hypothetical scenario they wont find out, so thats not a problem :wtg:

I dont think this poll will work. In a way you ask "are you a scammer". A scammer would lie and say no.

Hmm.. Would it be a scam?
I don't think I'd call it a scam.... But unethical.

I guess it's a part of what makes the poll interesting imo.

I'm very much a newbie but I'm thinking there must be a way to find out a reasonable idea of what various things are worth....in this instance isn't the semi-newbie being a bit lazy in not doing the research?

Interesting topic :)

a fool and his money are soon parted.

The answer will reflect who you are IRL imo...

I would never take advantage of another person coz i would feel crap doing so.....

My answer in the poll is: I would tell him about value and hopefully make another friend in EU! :)

In all honesty I have no idea. Is easy to be moral & superior here, far away from the temptation.

Probably my morale would be victorious and I would regret it each time I'd realise I can't possibly afford any item 3k+.

Really don't know.

Why I voted "tell him the value"

Last week I met an oj who had been in game before, but was really a newbie. He wanted to see the rig (thought he could get free oil:) . I took him there and on our way back to Nymph, we rescued someone else. I made a team (queue setting) for the 3 of us, because I was in a good mood. In Nymph we departed and both people were very happy with the loot that they gathered. The guy even asked me: "Are you really sure?" and was shouting "YAAAY" when I said yes.
A few minutes later I was in Twins and heard him selling an ESI. He was in a deal with someone and interrupted that when I asked to talk to him. "It was too good to be true he said", be I reassured him that once given, stays given.

Now I asked him for the TT of the ESI and he didn't know how to show that. He thought that it was 0 like before the last VU update. And he was so glad that he had nearly sold it for 120 ped :)

Well, end of the story, it happened to be a 19 ped esi that he could sell later for 150 ped. Imagine if it had been a 1250 one..........:laugh:

Well from what I have seen there are already to many people that spend there time tring to rip off noobs. I would tell them the real value and let them know how to check the value of items so they are better equipped to look out for them selves.

In all honesty I have no idea. Is easy to be moral & superior here, far away from the temptation.
Oh yeah... That evil temptation. Imagine the same scenario with a mod fap:eek:

Last week I met an oj who had been in game before, but was really a newbie. He wanted to see the rig (thought he could get free oil:) . I took him there and on our way back to Nymph, we rescued someone else. I made a team (queue setting) for the 3 of us, because I was in a good mood. In Nymph we departed and both people were very happy with the loot that they gathered. The guy even asked me: "Are you really sure?" and was shouting "YAAAY" when I said yes.
A few minutes later I was in Twins and heard him selling an ESI. He was in a deal with someone and interrupted that when I asked to talk to him. "It was too good to be true he said", be I reassured him that once given, stays given.

Now I asked him for the TT of the ESI and he didn't know how to show that. He thought that it was 0 like before the last VU update. And he was so glad that he had nearly sold it for 120 ped :)

Well, end of the story, it happened to be a 19 ped esi that he could sell later for 150 ped. Imagine if it had been a 1250 one..........:laugh:
Awww... How nice of you.

I always knew you were a nice guy... And though I usually consider myself rather generous, I can't bring myself to share my loot with newbies who's not hunting. :)

Well from what I have seen there are already to many people that spend there time tring to rip off noobs...
Yeah, but there is also a lot of really unselfish people here.
The poll probably gives a good indication of the 'mix' of the participants. :)

I want to change my answer to this:

"Make the trade in PvP3, pay him in Animal Oil, and kill him with his own gun and loot him" :laugh:

But seriously, he can't be a complete noob to obtain an ML35 ME, he has to have at least mentored someone and should have a reasonable idea about the price of such items. In this case, it is his own ignorance that is at fault.

Therefore he offers it too you at below market price, its not like you asked him to sell it too you.. so if i was approached in this way.. i would take the deal.

- VV

I answered that i' m really not sure.
The thing is, I always try to help noobs has much as possible. I advise noobs not to sell to tt, check EF, pe-wiki, peauction..etc. before buying selling stuff, dont make any trades without discussing with ur mentor or someone u trust.. that kind of things. I'm not a big depositer but i have put some money in the game, on 1000-1500 $ would make the game sssoooo much better for a relative period of time. .. the problem is that i would probably feel ssooo guilty, trying to avoid the guy, looking over my shoulder all the time.. I dont think i could live with myself. Thank god i'm not faced with that decision..the temptation would be excruciating.

Thor
+rep

Let me rephrase the question:

If you found a great bargain at the store, would you buy it?

Brand new Plasma TV for 75% off or something like that? You seriously wouldn't take that offer? Not one single person who voted to inform him of the true value would even consider pulling a salesman aside and say "you know, that TV's selling for much more a few blocks down. You should consider raising your price". :rolleyes:

But buying a virtual gun from somebody is different?

I'd buy it for what he was asking for it.

Well...if HE offers the weapon at a super-cheap price Id take it.... I would honestly assume he is not a noob...because...well..noobs dont get their hands on weps / items like that :scratch2: He could be a player needing some real quick PED or something like that :ahh:

However, if i KNEW he was a noob, then well, it would depend on my mood, lets say if I lost tons hunting or I was pissed at some reseller id probably buy it, otherwise id tell him its real value...:yay:

I voted for this:
Make the trade in PvP3, pay him in Animal Oil, and kill him with his own gun and loot him

Its just to good to miss! :rofl:

To be honest, i think i would tell him about markup and kick myself in the ass for doing so :duh:

Let me rephrase the question:

If you found a great bargain at the store, would you buy it?

Brand new Plasma TV for 75% off or something like that? You seriously wouldn't take that offer? Not one single person who voted to inform him of the true value would even consider pulling a salesman aside and say "you know, that TV's selling for much more a few blocks down. You should consider raising your price". :rolleyes:

But buying a virtual gun from somebody is different?

I'd buy it for what he was asking for it.

A company should pay if they are too incopetent to make such a big mistake.

Instead focus on the topic PoV, where you are interracting with an individual with the same rights as you. Will you rob him!?

A company should pay if they are too incopetent to make such a big mistake.

Instead focus on the topic PoV, where you are interracting with an individual with the same rights as you. Will you rob him!?

It's not robbery if he's offering it at a low price. I don't force low prices (infact I'm a very lousy negotiator) I simply take advantage of them when I see them.

And a company, which is just a collection of individuals, should pay for such a mistake but a single individual shouldn't?

Honestly, I would buy it no questions asked. If he is offering it at that price who am I to question why? Honestly if he does not take the time to check the real value of what he has then that is his fault and nobody elses.

I do not see this as an ethics issue at all. I have sold things for much less than what they were worth simply because I was too lazy and didn't check the price. I harbor no hard feelings towards the people who bought it because I made the choice to sell MY item at the price I was happy with.

I dolike the option about paying them in AOR then killing them with it. Kind of funny actually. Now that is unethical and I would not do it.

Now if you are trying to rip uninformed people off like someone I saw in control at CND offering 115% for Narc that is a whole different story.

People say "If you don't like the price then don't sell to them". This is not a valid response. this person is standing there offering that ridiculous price in hopes that somebody who does not know any better will sell it to them. And I am 100% positive that person is not going to say "btw you realize this is horrendously below market price".

Completely agree, though I think I need to spread some around.

Now if you are trying to rip uninformed people off like someone I saw in control at CND offering 115% for Narc that is a whole different story.

Saw a barker in PA trying to buy molisk teeth @ 400% :laugh:

There is a huge difference between trying to rip somebody off, such as the examples here, and simply taking a good offer when it's presented to you.

I remember some noobish players who looted a mod fap off a snable a year or so ago. They almost put it in the TT thinking it was not more than a fap5.

To be honest, if I was in the shop container and they noob tried to sell me a mod fap for TT value I would buy it in one second. Then, I'd sell the mod fap and give the noob a finders fee.

And I'd sleep very well that night.

Not an easy question :scratch2:

I voted tell him the real value, coz thats what I have done when noobs are selling items way under marked price. Also tell them about PA auc so they can get a clue of the value of things.

On the other hand I kind of agree to those who say just buy it, I he dont bother checking the price, his bad.
I know I always check value of things before I sell, and have done from day1,
and on the stuff I was hoping would make me rich always the markedprice was about TT ( but thats another story :laugh: )

Sorry for my broken English :)

Hmmmm

Peds permitting, I would probably take it for the amount asked.

I would like to say that I would then sell the item, and split it 50/50. Seems the fairest thing to do - a split between knowledge (mine) and ownership/opportunity (his).

I stress I say that I "would like to say" but in reality I am not sure. Till it happens to me :)

Back