MindArk Buys Back Calypso Land Deeds

Subscribing.

Another very interesting thread, for my archives :).

No, I own no CLDs whatsoever, and never have.

My profession is pure media, and MSM provides a service to the community, supporting the efforts of MindArk and the Planet Partners, pure and simple.

And to clarify, you (the community) get the news only one hour prior to it hitting the newswires, but that pertains to press releases only because MSM is a news service, and ... the period of time I have the news is only hours before it gets published, so I have to scramble, including engaging one of my graphics guys, then ... the hour after publishing at MSM, I'm busy posting here (if it's Calypso-related) and elsewhere to get the news out ... that's the purpose of MSM.

The EU community gets the news first, before it hits the newswires, so I hope it's beneficial.

Please, let's not take this thread off-topic and disrupt the current discussion.

Thank you.

You gotta know the news to report the news :laugh:

I appreciate your efforts ms9 :)

Maybe I should buy some, uhm no wait loot took my peds....But maybe it would be a good idea to invest in this....80% return and 5000 CLD's might lead to profit if i hunt gibnibs, nah i will stay at arkadia....And maybe I should by Fermenta stocks instead? Well if Fermenta still excists today my prioroty list would look like this: 1. Fermenta 2. CLD's.

Its freakin unbelievable that this hasnt got to newspapers yet with their buissnes strategies...

Last edited:
Perhaps there was a Deal with the Orginal buyer To buy back these deeds????

I think it is good that the cooperation between the 2 people was agreeable perhaps the buy back price was 115$ each?

Either way this is a very good thing and to be honest Smart.

now people who WANTED CLDS at a good price have a Chance again.

Now if there was another buy back again i would be .. worried... cause i believe the 'main' investor should sell his own through the market using the system?

Anyways in my eyes this is all good... and i am sure both parties in the buy back won. so maybe they paid 110$ for such a big amount... perhaps that owner of all the deeds also needed 550,000 $? so 110 and no fees of exchange of money and probably MUCH faster withdraw?

pretty amazing investement in a short amount of time if you tell me ... and to allow another and hopfully last chance to get these deeds at a decent Price and Enjoy some of the benefits of owning them. :)

peace and GL

I have only one problem with your statement. Evidently MA is need of cash, so please tell me why would they fork out 550.000 dollars (to take your numbers) to then list those ingame?

The majority of those 5000 shares will not be bought by deposits so even if they have a profit margin they still lose out on this deal?

Sorry but not only has my investment lost over €2000,- after this anouncement, but it still is extremely unclear and fishy to say the least

Angel

{removed} and by the way you may want to google company buy back. It's when a company buys its own stock from its shareholders.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a player bought for 1000 peds , the lowering to 1150 from 1300 hasnt made anyone loose any peds
( Unless the player bought at 1300 at auction ,wich always was a bigger risk then the start price of 1000 peds )

The main problem is if players did what the average joe made in 1999-2000 , when the stockmarket skyrocketed
was buying stocks with lent money and same time stopped saving his money earned by real life occupation , instead spent them on extra fluff. when the stockmarket crashed they had less then before they started investing/gambling, wich made a serious loss of values in rl

Yes the deeds value can be as low as 1150 on 1st of nov but doubt that 5000 shares will make any difference.

And its way better for the deeds to stay at many active players then at an outside withdrawing investor.

I care and by the way you may want to google company buy back. It's when a company buys its own stock from its shareholders.

Yes indeed i know, i though "buy back" was obvious enough

sardu.jpg

grrrreat.jpg

six_million_dollar_man_jan.jpg

museum.jpg

boring1-300x252.jpg

I'm quite happy about this, there'll be more CLDs in circulation and I think they are worth more than 1150 based on the return. I'm fairly confident that the market value will rebound as its related to the payout and the longer the payout continues at around the present rate the more confidence. The more confidence, the more demand, the more demand the higher the price. If you believe in the value of CLDs long term I think this is a good deal.

Last edited:
I care and by the way you may want to google company buy back. It's when a company buys its own stock from its shareholders.

Indeed. However they don't go around to flip it/sell it soon after. :laugh: It kinda` defeats the purpose of the buyback which is to increase and/or support share price not lower it. So what MA's doing is more close to BS than buyback.

Indeed. However they don't go around to flip it/sell it soon after. :laugh: It kinda` defeats the purpose of the buyback which is to increase share price not lower it. So what MA's doing is more close to BS than buyback.

There can be many reasons for buyback for example to ensure that the shareholding is diluted rather than shareholders holding large stakes in it. Its usually because the Exec team value the shares at a higher value than they can get them. You don't think every time Warren Buffet buys a quarter of a quoted company that he pays the same as us mere mortals do you :p

Do I understand right? The mysterious investor of the 25K CLDs decided to sell 5000 of them at 1150 PED instead of 1300 PED?

Why would anyone want to lose 750 KPED that fast? :scratch2:

That is indeed the suspicious part but I'm sure the fanboys have a perfect answer to that.

You can call me fanboy, ofc.

1. Deal between (we assume he exists) investor and MA wasn't disclosed, price of CLDs can be more than 1150.
2. It's way better for MA to SPREAD 5k CLDs between 1k players, than between five Skippies. In that case, it's very wise move from MA to buy even for 1300 from investor, and redistribute between many players for 1150.

This isn't the stock market and it isn't a "buy back", stop thinking in those terms.

The announcement said "Mindark buys back", which if they are being honest, is simply what they did.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about market price, it seems likely these will all be bought up and the market price will be pushed back to 1300 shortly (so they can be resold for profit ofc).

Hi all,

Some of you know me as I've commented on various forums over the last three years, but for those that don't I'm the President of the agency that MindArk and Planet Calypso use for public relations. My staff and I run through the planets as "TractionPR" showing media around and getting news out.

three years?
you guys have been presiding over the PR disaster that is MA for three years?
unbelievable really, i have professional experience in marketing and i have never ever in all my years seen anything as inept as MA's relations with the public and its customers, churning out inane releases with language geared at the corporate market does not constitute a strategy or relations with the public.
all i see is reaction, reaction is not a strategy either.

comedy gold this :p

Justification of concerns.

I said enough already, I'll post pictures instead.

Rick

Justification of concerns.

I said enough already, I'll post pictures instead.

Rick

normal advice in times like this is "dont panic" and make sure you have your towel handy.
these losses are not losses unless you sell now, or prices drop permanently.
i do feel for you, i know you put a lot of positive energy into the game and this is a shame.

but as someone who doesnt own CLD's (for obvious reasons) what i find disturbing is that MA is selling these above their "nominal" value, i dont really care what they paid for them privately, but to give the appearance of profit taking on players in game speculation is very disturbing to me, even if the actual profit may be very little or negative.
my opinion is these should be sold at "face value" aka their original price at buyout and then any "profit" made should be made by players, if the in game market is robust enough these should sell quite quickly and any temporary loss of value is likely to be short lived, realistically how long did it take them to reach the price today from their original price? those already holding deeds still receive dividend regardless of the current price.

Well, I guess I'm glad I belong to the category Player and not in the category Investor. :)
And for those who missed it: just because we bought them for 1k, doesn't mean mu is 130%,
since tt-value isn't 1k...

CLD Holders:

If you think CLD's are good investment in the game, this can be an opportunity to buy more at a discount - regardless of what you paid before. At the very least hold what you have.

If you think CLD's are bad investment/scam/whatever, why do you have them anyway, or why do you care about the price?

The worst thing do to now is sell - that is a panic move that will probably cost you money. The market will be affected by the sale for as long as they last, but that won't be very long. In the long run it will be the rate of return the sets the price of CLD's.

Non-CLD Holders:

If you missed out on the initial offering, here is an opportunity to buy below current market value.

Regarding Face Value - it is 0. The initial offering was 1000ped, but that is not the same thing.

:beerchug:

Miles

Last edited:
Regarding Face Value - it is 0. The initial offering was 1000ped, but that is not the same thing.

:beerchug:

Miles

too true... Kelley Blue Book value of a new car isn't going to get you anything on the car you just demolished yesterday. ;)

In other words, at the end of the day, if MA does go bankrupt, TT value is what you might get back, and you might be lucky to get even that... not saying that will happen... just saying it's all a risk. Only play with money you can afford to lose, including any payments in to clds since they are very high risk investment. Markup is markup. Could be +10k in a few years. Could also be tt+1 as well by then. I can't remember the exact numbers, but if one deed gets you back your initial buy in cost in what it makes you by year 6, it could take about 30 years to get back 3 times that amount or so... Will Mindark still exist by then? Even if so, will it still be legal to participate in it where you live, and will you have some 'backup' plan to get the deeds sold if you kick the bucket in a month or two? I suspect clds are going to force more and more participants to put avatar login info in to wills, and MA will need to deal with that appropriately eventually. Can they handle that type of stuff in any sort of timely manner that is appropriate for the situation at that time? Just some things to think about.

Last edited:
Give existing owners first right

This should maybe have been a sale where existing CLD owners got first right to buy, in a bookbuilding process, to protect the MU.. It would look a lot more like fair public share trading.

but as someone who doesnt own CLD's (for obvious reasons) what i find disturbing is that MA is selling these above their "nominal" value, i dont really care what they paid for them privately, but to give the appearance of profit taking on players in game speculation is very disturbing to me, even if the actual profit may be very little or negative.

The CLD don't have a nominal value (TT = 0), so it don't matter much in this case.

This should maybe have been a sale where existing CLD owners got first right to buy, in a bookbuilding process, to protect the MU.. It would look a lot more like fair public share trading.

perhaps the newest folks in charge of Mindark cares more about giving all avatars equal treatment instead of treating some 'more fair' than others as they have done in the past so many times?...

Maybe after that voting system is in place you can vote for what they do the next time they decide to do something like this?

I think genrally the existing holders get first-chance of buying shares when the company is issuing *new* shares (which is done to raise more money); when shares just change hands it's the seller that decides - it's either a strategic deal (when one major owner sells to another potential major owner) or an existing owner puts them in some kind of market.

I think it's nice with a second option to buy, I'll at least buy a second one. (I was able to buy one at the inifial offering.)

MU that needs protecting doesn't have rights to exist :)

Hi all,

Some of you know me as I've commented on various forums over the last three years, but for those that don't I'm the President of the agency that MindArk and Planet Calypso use for public relations. My staff and I run through the planets as "TractionPR" showing media around and getting news out. Any news Mindstar gets is from us, if it's early. I want to jump in here to explain a few things and hopefully calm some folks down. We began working with Mindstar a few months back when I was introduced to her through David at Arkadia. She is known as a fair and thorough reporter of events on all planets and has far deeper player contacts than I ever will. She is our best way to reach directly into the player base and get information to those of you not reading the other mainstream news sites we hit. As such we all thought it best to give players a leg up on the non-players. In other words she gets the news to you an hour early while the rest of the world waits. This was my decision and was done to show that we value players time and attention. Mindstar is not getting any type of unfair player advantage here and is not given news that isn't approve for release. She is journalist that we help, because she helps all of you for free.

Regardless of your intent, I believe the actual outcome is to undermine player trust in MindArk by giving one player early access to privileged and market-sensitive information.
I appreciate that MS9 may be wishing to create her own business here, and that's a great aspiration - but at the end of the day, she's just one of many players in Entropia.
Unless of course she has some contractual arrangement with MindArk for provision of service, in which case this should be clearly communicated to the player base, and she should no longer be using a personal avatar. (My understanding is that, following the end of her contractual relationship with Cyrene, her personal avatar was returned to the game.)

Here's an alternative suggestion if you want the players to have the news 'an hour early while the rest of the world waits':
Publish media releases on MindArk's own websites where they are picked up by RSSfeed and immediately and impartially disseminated to the whole player base. An hour later, send out your press release to the mainstream news sites.

Last edited:
If you are going to freak out over a temporary dip in deed price, maybe you shouldn't own them.

LOL.

It isn't a general dip in prices, it is the effect of the announcement that has impacted on the prices.

Anyhow now I'm out of work and can think more clearly I can understand what MA are attempting to do. By creating a forced dip in the captial value it forces sales between 1150 - 1300 (right now), this creates more sales, and thus more deposits prior to those new 5000 deeds going on sale.

In effect they gain potentially new deposits twice on one sale. If that was their intention, then they are clever bunnies. There little stunt still knocked 9K captial gain off my assets, maybe short term maybe not.

I will smile, and leave it at that.

Rick

The People of The Great Republic of Nigeria approve...

<removed off-forum image link>

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of your intent, I believe the actual outcome is to undermine player trust in MindArk by giving one player early access to privileged and market-sensitive information.
I appreciate that MS9 may be wishing to create her own business here, and that's a great aspiration - but at the end of the day, she's just one of many players in Entropia.
Unless of course she has some contractual arrangement with MindArk for provision of service, in which case this should be clearly communicated to the player base, and she should no longer be using a personal avatar. (My understanding is that, following the end of her contractual relationship with Cyrene, her personal avatar was returned to the game.)

Here's an alternative suggestion if you want the players to have the news 'an hour early while the rest of the world waits':
Publish media releases on MindArk's own websites where they are picked up by RSSfeed and immediately and impartially disseminated to the whole player base. An hour later, send out your press release to the mainstream news sites.

Serica, aren't you the News Editor in the revived PCF Newsroom? It seems like something you should disclose and not hide to be accurate. You have a stake in getting news early, which means of course you are against someone else doing it. Unfortunately you chose to attack the person who could give that news to you and hide your stake in the matter. That hardly seems like a great move. I wish you the best of luck in your new position though and please do keep an eye on PR Newswire for the latest news.

why anyone dumps their deeds for 1160 in panic is mindboggling , its not like Ma released some profit warning or something .

Still looking forward to my monday morning payment ,
Finnally mondays mornings at work has a meaning :tongue2:

if they dropped below a K each and still pay out the % as now its still a good investment

Back