Sweden

Jan Welter Timkrans
Anders Gutenbrant
Bernt Wahlin
Anders Bodin
Magnus Eriksson

10/10/2007

Open Letter to MA

The latest developments around this VU have just shown again that MA is one of the most unprofessional companies ever... Luckily for them, the original business Idea is pure Genius and hence EU is working as well as it is atm.

MA has developed a unique gaming experience which hardly any other game can offer. The concept of an RCE game is genius and after a difficult start MA was able to gather a very dedicated and quite unique player base. The EU community is equal to none. A small community of very dedicated and active player who are willing to pay and deposit much more to be part of this “Special Universe” than any other MMORPG player ever would.

Being part of EU you invest into your avatar, in it’s skills, in it’s equipment. The basis of such investment is some feeling of stability and continuity which will guarantee for my investments for the future like in any real economy. The difference is that we are playing a game. We don’t want the “real” economic uncertainty, the “real” difficulties of life in the form of excessive taxes and other hardship. All of us are happy to pay a price to play. We realise MA is a business which needs to survive and all of us are willing to spend money on ammunition, decay and fees.

But within the last four years of EU, formerly PE, the game has evolved. Not only in terms of features but also with respect to cost of game play. We have seen an increase in decay, we have seen a nerfing of Weapon efficiency, we have seen a reduction in Loot, we have seen the introduction of insane ATHs to mask the fact that in average far fewer HOFs are paid out. The community has voiced concerns every times such changes occurred but after a while most of us tried to get to terms with these changes and to carry on playing, finding ways of minimising losses and to play the most efficiently as possible. I for instance hardly ever use big armours and weapons anymore because I simply can not afford to in the long run…

The Latest VU change has just been another blow to most of us. There are some that don’t care about how much they spend, but many feel like the recent changes will have a serious impact on their cost of playing. We see the introduction of a special tax for changing armour and clothes, masked with a pretty cheeky excuse about lag and as if this wasn’t enough, you introduce another armour piece which forces everybody in this game to deposit some more and to pay even more decay on armour for the future…

Enough is Enough !!!

Can I remind you that your Head of Communications is regularly telling us: MindArk's business plan states that we aim for a cost of 1 USD per hour. (Source: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37166) How on earth is this achievable ? Have any of you ever tried playing this game for real? Have any of you got any idea how much time some of us spend in this game, how many hours we spend ? In normal MMORPG I pay 15+30$ max per month and I can play as much as I like, with 1 hour per day that gives me a cost of play of 1$ daily… Ok you will say that EU is different but even if the cost was 3$ which it is not, the game costs me 90$ per month to play. Now cost of playing varies: I can be economical and pay nothing if I chat and trade, or I can blast away 100$ in an hour with my ML if I want to. But in any case, in average, I will never ever be able to play properly for 1$ per hour.

I said that we the players don’t mind paying, we don’t even mind paying more, we are all willing to pay much more to play than anybody else… but why do you keep beefing up the cost of playing for the existing player, why do you keep squeezing more and more cost out of our basic setup? Do you realise that this game becomes unplayable for most of us in the long run?

Why don’t you increase the number of features in EU to generate new sources of income for MA? Why don’t you create new inworld games, new professions, game levels like beacons, the stock exchange, new planets, now continents, now challenges that we would all be willing to pay for if we got some extra ?

Why does MA not increase the size of it’s player base? We all know for fact that MA does not have half a million players, we are a couple of 10k players at max and you know it (even SL has only about 20k active players with their 1.2m registrations), so stop lying to us.

Why don’t you diversify away from the core setup and cost and generate more income through more players, more features. We would all welcome that and support you and make good use of them. I would certainly spend another $ per day if I get something in return for it.

You have one of the best and most dedicated communities out there and yet you totally ignore their advice, their concerns. You keep telling us that you are listening but you are not.

After the last Landgrab the community asked for more info from your Communications Head and gave many many suggestions since then. To this day we have not seen more than a few question sessions. You still have not sent us a questionnaire to make us contribute to your future strategy. Why don’t you listen to your customers ? We are the most loyal customers you could ever have, so why don’t you believe us in what we say?

I know how business is run, and I know that you need to make money. I know that you need to earn money, I don’t live in a fantasy world. But MA is not really short cash, at least it wasn’t before the CRYengine project. If you can’t afford CRYengine, then just leave it. Have you realised that your players have never been whining about more features and more graphix and more funky stuff. We always whined about bugs, about stats changing, game play like LandGrab not working… We like the game as it is. Make it run smoothly first before making it even more and more funky for nothing.

You keep promising and starting things and never finish them in the end anyway.

What about the “Entropian” magazine ?

What about the “PHYsics” hardware support?

What about the Stock Exchange ingame?

What about the Factories?

What about the Night, Day, Sandstorm features announced in 2003?

What about that Cash Card?

What about the regular Community Relations promised. The last post from Marco on EF was on 27.08.2007.

What about that Landgrab overhaul ?

What about that Chinese Business Deal ?

MA is a master of releasing funny press releases but if a journalist ever wanted to check on what actually happened with these new gimmicks, one would wonder…

All I want to say is that you at MA need to seriously review your strategy and your response to your customers, your customer relations and your way of doing business.

You are in the unbelievably lucky position to have a community which is willing to help you with ideas, feedback and which is willing to pay the price for good game play. The way you are walking now you will make EU just another expensive Computer game which people will try out for a few months. But you are scaring away the long term players with big investments, the real community players. There are several games out there which are experimenting on the same business model and you can see the day coming when SONY or some other big Company will release a game with the same model, 10 USD monthly subscription + RCE. Don’t you dare introducing that feature because you will just be like any other MMORPG when you do and you can not win that race…

We can help you make EU unique, we know what the players want, we know what makes EU a cool game, we know what we are willing to spend money for…

I urge you to have a very careful read through all Support Cases you have received following this VU, I urge you to read all the posts on Entropia Forum and to stand up and to review some of your decisions.

I feel cheated, I feel insulted, I feel Ripped Off atm and I am writing this after having slept over it. Take this chance and Fix it ! Most of us are more than willing to stay your loyal fanbase and to keep playing.

Yours, Semai

---------------------------------------------------

To the Community,

I might not be saying what everybody thinks but for those who do think like me, pick one of the guys on top of this list and send them this Letter by mail as I will. I am not sure they have any clue what is going on atm and I want the heads at MA to know what is going on. If you don’t like it, write something yourself but I am happy for anyone to take this letter and forward it to them in hardcopy. If you find their E-mails, use those but they are not officially published so it’s a bit hard to prove if they work.

I just want EU to be the best computer game in the world and I want the community to stick together in this and to maybe achieve something, help to make it better. I don’t want to quit just yet because I hope that we can maybe achieve a little… :ahh:

Thx, Semai

--------------------------------------------------

[Update: Thx for all the +reps and the support everyone. I hope that you do manage to send a hard copy letter and I am sure MA will listen to us. Don't make this a nasty campaign, we don't want to ruin the game, we want to improve it. I am not gonna be able to +rep all of you back so please just accept this as a big thank you.

Thx again, Semai]

-----------------------------------------------------

[Update: This has gone out to MA, I have excused myself for the harsh tone and I have told them that I would publish any reply here on the forum]

Thx Semai

Last edited:
plus rep , plus rep , plus rep :yay:

the best thread i read here !

MA PLZ WEAK UP NOW:eek:

Printin it out and mailin it 2day!!!

+rep

*signs the letter*

;) +rep

I just so agree with you m8, very nice put...bumping this one further:wtg:

+rep, very well written and you hit the nail spot on.

Since there is no real competition to EU (yet) I really like MA is just trying to milk the cow dry over and over until it falls over dead....

Printed and mailed. And guess what? My stamp didn't decay when I put it on the envelope.;)

I just had a thought. Ever see the movie "Bugs"?

There is a pertinent quote at the end.

"Ants don't serve grasshoppers! It's you who need us! We're a lot stronger that you say we are. And you know it, don't you?"

++rep i second all you say

Printed and mailed. And guess what? My stamp didn't decay when I put it on the envelope.;)

I just had a thought. Ever see the movie "Bugs"?

There is a pertinent quote at the end.

"Ants don't serve grasshoppers! It's you who need us! We're a lot stronger that you say we are. And you know it, don't you?"

The movie is Called Ants ;)

Signed as well... very clean text and truly straight forward content!

+rep all the way:)

Robo

You could also have collected signatures and send it all in one letter :)

Digital signatures ... :D

Amen to that! :bowdown::deal:

And a HUGE +Rep!

+rep

Printed and will send as soon as I work out how much it's going to cost for a letter from Oz to Sweden :) shouldn't be too much...

Hear hear

I second the former inlay and also will try to translate a Swedish quote that saya DONT SLAP THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU.
That definitly goes for MA

I'm thinking about even extending it a little before sending out. I'll add something about how I was admiring those who had played PE for 3 years already when I started. Now being around the same old I get hit in lower body parts by skillnerf at first, then nice items disappear from loot which were in it (not very commonly but they were there) and then I see more and more costs being added pec by pec to whatever there is to add on...

I'll also point out the fun factor. PE used to be fun as hell. Nowadays all the EGGzitment is but a shadow in the memory... It was fun to hunt and to be close to zero in total after hunting run or little minuses or little pluses and rarely profit more. Today most of the community (I'm not talking only about myself here, I have a very tight friends list and I listen what people say outside the game aswell) loses 50-70% constantly and it doesn't matter if they make 1 or 10 hour runs. Yes, I'm very pleased to see if some of my friends online hit something big, I never was a jelaous person, but when I think about hundreds of unhappy ones in the same time... sad.

I'm also thinking about making a suggestion to make a simple solution instead the 2 pec per piece decay when changing armor or clothes. For instance, make it possible to change once..twice per minute. Brilliant, isn't it? No, it's not, it's elementary and it's not pissing people up.

Protection for feet? You gotta be kidding me! What next, a neck protection? A knee and elbow protection? How about both?

Maybe more will come up later but this would be the main part I'll definately add.

and oh yes, RETURN GOOD ITEMS IN LOOT!!! :mad:
//I gotta make that my signature...

J.

Great text and I will send it, good idea. No whining, just a direct hit towards the people that are MA, reflecting reality very well!!

+rep .. this has really gone to far now..

You could also have collected signatures and send it all in one letter :)

Digital signatures ... :D

It's about sending them personal letters as much as possible, signatures don't impress.

+rep
Signed petition in addition to the letter anyone?

The rest of the world needs to take part of this, pls send it to journalists?

i will not vote for entropia anymore in the threads where we are trying to get Entropia to #1 spot.

+rep

Macce

bump.

The rest of the world needs to take part of this, pls send it to journalists?

Good Idea.

It's about sending them personal letters as much as possible, signatures don't impress.

But sending them the same letter x times does? :scratch2:I don't see that is personal either tbh? Not meaning I wont do it - just thought, that collecting signatures and send a whole bunch with a letter from the whole community might work better or the changes that more will respond might be bigger? :dunno:

Just sent my own support case now, can't post it here cuz EF doesn't like that kind of language.
Anyway they succeeded to stop me from depositing for an IMP 2870 when they introduced this VU. No more depos from this guy if no major improvements (for US, the customers, not MA) is being introduced in the near future.

I'd rather that everyone sends their own real mail to them... that might wake them up for real ...

I am reluctant to send it to media as I am hoping that MA will listen. That said, no reply to this in a week or so time, and I think that I might well move towards sending this out. Could be interesting to see what the first "virtual game revolution" would be like ...

I hope it doesn't have to come to this, I only want to help MA to get their things straight, I don't want to ruin the game... so let's keep this internal for now ;)

The latest developments around this VU have just shown again that MA is one of the most unprofessional companies ever...

Its a very bad idea to start a otherwise well put and formulated letter like this. If you wanna achieve something reformulate or delete.

Its like starting a debate with - " Now you listen to me you lil lame cocksuck..."
How many people stays around to listen to the rest?

I've already sent a support case. Biggest thing I'm unhappy about is having to re-build my avatar from the ground up.

Thank you for this open letter! You speak the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

Oh, the ant/grasshopper quote btw, that was "A Bugs Life" a Disney film, trust me I have a 3 year old daughter, and have seen that movie 1,432 times.

I think I will also be sending a physical letter to MA. I have been in and out of PE/EU since early 2003, and have always been a depositer. Until just before 9.0 my deposits had doubled, and I had planned on keeping that trend up to enhance my play, but I believe I have now lost all desire to make any more deposits.

Last edited:
Status
Back