What is the connection between Rocktropia and Jango Airplay?

Oleg

Mutated
Oleg Oleg McMullery
While exploring on Rocktropia, my socmate came across a radio mast with a sign/ad for something called Jango Airplay:

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Jango Airplay turns out to be a real-life company and website: http://airplay.jango.com/music+promotion

They call themselves a music promotion service. Their business model is based on musicians and artists paying to have their music played on Jango's online radio station.

Schemes like this are known as "pay-for-play" (or "pay-to-play"), and are widely regarded by serious and experienced musicians as a rip-off. They exploit musicians. They prey on the dreams and hopes of naive and inexperienced musicians who fall for their false promises.

Here's a good article which summarises why 'services' like this one are bad: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13526_3-10190726-27.html

It's not illegal, but it is most certainly unethical. Organisations who support the rights of musicians, such as the Musicians Union and the various Performing Rights Organisations, have campaigned against such services and always advise their members to stay well clear of them.

So, I wonder, what is the connection between Jango Airplay and Rocktropia? Why is this dubious 'service' being advertised here?

Crap, I mistyped my title :D

Asked a mod to change it...

EDIT: Done, thank you unknown moderator :)

Last edited:
So, I wonder, what is the connection between Jango Airplay and Rocktropia? Why is this dubious 'service' being advertised here?

Maybe it is a business deal between NEVERDIE Studios and Jango?

I'm gonna read up on this...

If I recall correctly ND posted his songs on Jango. I'll try and find the link...

and here it is:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/club-neverdie/155019-free-download-neverdie-songs.html

ND also mentioned something about avatars working together with rl musicians and artists to create music in Rocktropia to be marketed in rl. Something along those lines.

I'd be interested to see what ND has to say on this. Maybe he is not aware of Jango as being "exploiters" since he himself uses it ...

Well, I looked into the owner of Jango.com and hit a dead end at an anonymous domain registry service, monkier.com.

Digging through the jango.com website indicates that their offices and development team are in New York, New York, US.

I'll not speculate as to ownership.

Well, I looked into the owner of Jango.com and hit a dead end at an anonymous domain registry service, monkier.com.

Digging through the jango.com website indicates that their offices and development team are in New York, New York, US.

I'll not speculate as to ownership.

Haha i think you just did.

Anyway if ND had anything to do with it, it would have been called not Jango but NEVERDIE to begin with it.

Current estimates are that by 2019 67% of all words in the English language will be replaced with NEVERDIE.

Last edited:
Haha i think you just did.

Anyway if ND had anything to do with it, it would have been called not Jango but NEVERDIE to begin with it.

Current estimates are that by 2019 67% of all words in the English language, are replaced with NEVERDIE.

ND doesn't live in ny he lives in LA other side of country :-D

ND doesn't live in ny he lives in LA other side of country :-D

Yeah i understand, still he could of course be a part owner in a company not located where he actually lives?

Anyway i really doubt he has anything to do with the service itself, what exactly the connection between Jango and Rocktropia is i could only speculate, since i have really no idea, nor do i care much, just saw the opportunity to ridicule ND a bit more. :D

lol.

In another thread I jokingly posted that ND seems to be acting more and more like the "Master Blaster" from Kidd Video cartoon in the 1980s... this sort of is starting to actually make that statement seem more closer to the truth than I thought it was...

[YOUTUBE]lq64MJKwElw[/YOUTUBE]
"hahaha - You will be my musical slaves forever!"

Last edited:
Though payola may be illegal it has been a part of music and radio for ages and still goes on large scale. Popular clubs in Los Angeles are mostly pay to play for bands requiring them to sell tickets and not get paid directly by the venue. The music business thrives on people with stars in their eyes who will do as much as the industry will accept for free. It`s just the way it is. I spent years in the business out there and in different areas of the country. And though I never agreed with taking advantage of the intensity of peoples desires the people that control it and rely on it to continue to make the big bucks are`nt going to stop anytime soon. The best we can hope for are more partnerships such as this that might nudge questionable entities toward more legitimate, considerate and ethical ways.

A company with questionable ethics and business practices associating with MindArk...?
Why how...how... absurd! :rolleyes:

The term Den Of Thieves comes to mind. :deal:

Though payola may be illegal it has been a part of music and radio for ages and still goes on large scale. Popular clubs in Los Angeles are mostly pay to play for bands requiring them to sell tickets and not get paid directly by the venue. The music business thrives on people with stars in their eyes who will do as much as the industry will accept for free. It`s just the way it is. I spent years in the business out there and in different areas of the country. And though I never agreed with taking advantage of the intensity of peoples desires the people that control it and rely on it to continue to make the big bucks are`nt going to stop anytime soon. The best we can hope for are more partnerships such as this that might nudge questionable entities toward more legitimate, considerate and ethical ways.

You're right, it's nothing new, and it happens all the time because naive musicians desperate to "make it big" (whatever that means these days) are seen as a nice fat cash-cow.

Just because it's commonplace does not mean we shouldn't fight against it. In my city a number of pay-to-play gig 'promoters' have been effectively run out of town thanks to the solidarity of the local music community who have worked hard to spread the word about them and encourage musicians to work only with legitimate promoters.

Now and then a new one shows up, and we do it all over again.

This is good:

About Jango:
Jango is licensed by ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SoundExchange.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/techno...go_team_up_to_deliver_major_social/index.html

I noticed in the Jango FAQ that the radio station is licensed as per the legal requirements for Internet broadcasting. I believe the radio station side of it came well before the Airplay part of the business. I wonder if the collection agencies are aware that they have branched out into pay-for-play? Is there any history of licenses being denied to companies indulging in exploitative practices?

They call themselves a music promotion service. Their business model is based on musicians and artists paying to have their music played on Jango's online radio station.

Schemes like this are known as "pay-for-play" (or "pay-to-play"), and are widely regarded by serious and experienced musicians as a rip-off. They exploit musicians. They prey on the dreams and hopes of naive and inexperienced musicians who fall for their false promises.

Organisations that get paid to play artists music... What's new...?
Ever watched MTV? Ever listened to your local popradio station? What do you think where they make their money from...

I always thought that it was prohibited to advertise real world companies in Entropia except if you use Massive Inc. service.

The quote below is for the Global Ad System but I think it should be valid for everything in Entropia. Because the Global Ad System is provide by MA and not by Planet Partner, I dont think they are allowed to bypass this law.

The Global Ad System is meant for in-world advertising only. We accept advertisement for society websites, but it is prohibited to use this system to advertise for Real World companies or websites that have no connection to in-world activities. As we cannot control all communication within the Entropia Universe, we rely on your reports. If you see that the Global Ad System is abused in any way, please take a screenshot and contact Entropia Support.
If you are interested in real world advertising within Entropia Universe you need to contact Massive Inc. at http://www.massiveincorporated.com.

http://account.entropiauniverse.com/support-faq/in-game-issues/advertising/

Ever watched MTV? Ever listened to your local popradio station? What do you think where they make their money from...

They make their money from advertising. MTV and traditional radio stations pay royalties to the artists whose work they broadcast. They don't charge the musicians - not officially anyway, as Thorn indicated above payola does still go on behind the scenes.

But but but... those are not the artists paying this, for MTV and all the others that is the job of agencies to pay these.
Jango is taking out the middle man - this is criminal! (if you are the middle man you believe that at least)

God forbid, artists that become successful without any music label or artist union they have to whore out for and completely on their own.

:eek:

:laugh:

I don't see how this is unethical unless they lie about something. What exactly are these false promises they make?

I don't see how this is unethical unless they lie about something. What exactly are these false promises they make?

"Reach 7 million listeners today" on the front page is one for starters.

The ethics question is more to do with people being led to believe that this is normal practice. It is not. Musicians should be paid by people who use their work, not the other way around.

The ethics question is more to do with people being led to believe that this is normal practice. It is not. Musicians should be paid by people who use their work, not the other way around.
Could not agree with you more... especially in this setting... because

http://account.entropiauniverse.com/legal/eula.xml
You expressly acknowledge that You do not obtain any ownership right or interest in the Virtual Item You “create” but all such terms refer to the licensed right to use a certain feature of the Entropia Universe System or the Entropia Universe in accordance with the terms and conditions of this EULA. For clarity, MindArk and/or the respective MindArk’s Planet Partner retains all rights, title and interest to all Virtual Items You create in-world.

If i understand correct we will be able to find "coins" in Rocktropia and buy air time on Jango.

If i understand correct we will be able to find "coins" in Rocktropia and buy air time on Jango.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this. Got a source?

well, a bit speculation i must confess, but i think i read information on a billboard by the tp at City of Dreams.

on the leftside on the road thats goes up the hill.

if u lok at the billboards arround cityof dreams the say "see a penny pick it up" and describes thre are tokens to collect.no screenie easy enough to find

I couldn't read anything on those billboards, my graphics suck too much :D

I couldn't read anything on those billboards, my graphics suck too much :D

turntextures up to high and relog

According to the Jango website, it is $10 for 250 airplays.

This seems like the smallest amount of airplays that can be purchased, unless they make a special promotional package for a lower amount of airplays to be purchased through ROCKtropia.

Hypothetically, lets say they allow a "smaller" ROCKtropia airplay package of 100 for $5. You'd need to collect quite a few pennies, and if they spawn like fruit/stones/dung on Calypso, good luck finding them. :D

But but but... those are not the artists paying this, for MTV and all the others that is the job of agencies to pay these.
Jango is taking out the middle man - this is criminal! (if you are the middle man you believe that at least)

God forbid, artists that become successful without any music label or artist union they have to whore out for and completely on their own.

:eek:

:laugh:

oleg has a very important point to make here...

this is not about the artist taking out the middle man for the good of the artist.

changing who earns from pay to play is only changing who exploits the artist.
payola is a pretty sounding word for massive corruption within the music industry, and there is a history of organised crime involvement in this side of the business.

i personally know nothing about the service being discussed but i do know musicians are exploited at best, and at worst, scammed for everything they have or will ever produce, unless they are well informed and careful in their management of their intellectual property.

According to the Jango website, it is $10 for 250 airplays.

This seems like the smallest amount of airplays that can be purchased, unless they make a special promotional package for a lower amount of airplays to be purchased through ROCKtropia.

Hypothetically, lets say they allow a "smaller" ROCKtropia airplay package of 100 for $5. You'd need to collect quite a few pennies, and if they spawn like fruit/stones/dung on Calypso, good luck finding them. :D

Nah, i buy them from noobs instead ;)
Well, i guess we will see if it will work that way or if the coins have an other meaning

Back