Did the sale of EF destroy the community?

Centech

Elite
Society
BAHQ4LIFE!!!
Jason Centech Tanner
This is something I've been thinking a lot about the last few days.. Entropia Universe.. is a Universe.. it is growing, and it includes at least 3 different 'games' at the moment. PC, RT and now NI. But they aren't really separate.. travel between them is trivial.. Just yesterday I was on all 3 planets.

Now, lots is going on in the new planets, and a lot of players have a lot of questions. For 90%+ of the players in the Universe, Calypso is home.. and EF was always home. With other planets being excluded from PCF, we are fracturing the community as never before. There is no flow of information, and if you want to find info on RT or NI you need to go to their forums (which hardly anyone uses).. it sucks.. I'm not going to keep up on 3 forums.. let alone 8 or whatever there will be soon when more planets join, and I'm sure others aren't going to either.

So what do you all think? I see the community as fractured and getting worse.. and it saddens me. I think it's really important that there be a central place where the whole universe gets together if we are going to have a real community... I know there are other forums, and some that cover all the planets.. but lets be serious.. EF (and this forum you are reading now IS EF.. I don't care what the url says) IS the EU community.. It has been for 5 years.. but now that 711 sold it for a quick profit it is being destroyed as a central community, along with the community itself. :(

For planet inforation you have www.entropiaplanets.com and the old EF is starting to fill up with universe based information. So you should be able to just stick to EP, that has a good universe basewd wiki to help u find information.

Regarding this forum Platencalypsoforum, I think it kinf od killed the old EF and that this place is slowly, very slowly, tries to live. One example, the front page, Hanne posted something about the Harbinger event, there was and I think still is 22 replies. The re where no other updates on frontpage regarding Harbinger during the full event. This kind of shows how u shouldn't run a forum. If u go to EP and their wiki and search om Harbinger eventr, u find tons of information. Hopefully this forum will start to live once the new blood is dragged in, we, the old players felt f**d so don't frequent or post as much as before, what is the use?

EP is not a real forum, it is a ego platform for a handful of people, no content except useless rss feeds and copies of event announcements you have on PCF, too... and that after ~ 1.5 year of existance.

And imo, people updating the EP wiki (or any other wiki) are wasting valueable resources, it would make more sense to keep all info on entropedia, where actually someone is working on improvements - plus EP will never have tables like entropedia has, so why bother?

And on topic: Yes, sure feels like it, but i think that some bullshit decisions by MA and it's planet partners did cause more harm, like "XYZ killed a Pirate Skeleton" in a Sci-Fi MMORPG, or sweat claims, or PvP resources outside PvP on other planets... devaluating skills by skills bonus events... making PvP pointless now that we have tanks & helicopters.... and there is a lot more...

EU is no longer one game, each planet is a game. So the community isnt fractured really. People are just failing to adapt with change.

Each offical forum will have the requires info for the planet its made for.

So ill just sign up for forums of the games i play.

Just like you would if you played multiple MMO's

Quite simple really

EU is no longer one game, each planet is a game. So the community isnt fractured really. People are just failing to adapt with change.

Indeed. EF was always based around Planet Claypso. The other planets are their own game set in their own themes. They also set up new communities. Sure we can travel between them but I know for my own fact that the Rocktropia community is different then the Claypso community. (not in a bad way or good way but it is just different)

new players that come to other planet will find themself a new home and intergrate their.

We, the oldschool community, are fixed at Claypso and are still treating this forum as the old EF forum. And I dont blame ya, because FPC/Mods treat it the same way.

I also have been playing around how to get some kind of Spy program to tune into the spy pages of PCF/Arkadia/NI/RT/EP/EF combined into one website/program of some kind. They person that will code that will get some much rep *hint hint*

But to answer the question made by Centech. The community on Claypso is changing yes. Latest outcry about ND on NI proves it. We are complaning on a FPC owned forum about what is happening on NI. FPC wont care fyi why should they. Now if you go post it on NI forum then you maybe get a reply from their community manager that they are looking into it perhaps. Or that he says if you dont like dont go there.

I think it will only get worse because we are all treating this as EF when infact we should use this forum as Claypso only .

Anyways that my two pec. Back to hunting

It is NOT different games.. not in ANY way.. When I can tp from calypso to rocktropia to next island all within a few minutes, it is ONE game. Nobody is playing yet that signed up for Next Island, and I don't think many people are playing that signed up for Rocktropia. At least 90% if not 99% of the players of Entropia Universe on any planet, are players that signed up before there were multiple planets.. And I think it will remain that way for a long time. I also think very few players will dedicated 100% of their time to just 1 planet and never visit the others. And even if you do, you need to care about the others.. Look at the issues now with sweat and other resources that are more available on NI than on PC.. Look at the new plates being crafted in RT.. can plate crafters on Calypso ignore this? They can but smart ones shouldn't. The entire universe is intrinsically linked, and to be part of it you need to be aware of all of it.

so far, in my wanderings amongst the other forums one thing has struck me.
most the names look familiar, the people arent customers unique to the other "games".
they are transplants from Calypso.
now this doesnt mean that the other planets are failing from lack of membership, or that Calypso will soon be devoid of colonists. it means that our universe just got exponentially larger, for the population to match this growth, each planet partner MUST create their own populations.
to this end, each partner must advertise, create their own player base and support network.
this means realistically they need their own forums as well.
right now it seems redundant, you see the same faces and same personalities on all the forums.
as long as the partners continue to do their due diligence, build their planets as if they are independent gaming platforms,
then the unique members of each community will increase exponentially as our universe has.
unfortunately, the universe is really still in its infancy, so until they start growing on their own its gonna seem odd.
what we really need is new blood, new bodies, new money in the universal loot pool.
there.
my 2 pec.

Last edited:
It is NOT different games.. not in ANY way..

My point exactly, everyone here is too stubborn to change.

In time each planet will get its own unique systems and tools and whatever else, as well as its very own unique community and economy.

The diffrence may not be that visible at the moment as its a very recent change, but as time progresses, the diffrencees and diffrent directions will become more and more aparent. Yes certan planets may have tie ins with calypso and the original story, next island, but others will be completely diffrent as it is not a requirement, planet michael & See Universal planet.

The Entropia Platform requires you to be used to change, adapt or get left behind.

..I think it will only get worse because we are all treating this as EF when infact we should use this forum as Claypso only .

All depends where information gets posted or is available. When new EF reopened, I’ve thought that all EU related info goes over there, and I’ve tried, but EF is still very quiet. Therefore, I’m quite sure, if FPC allows threads addressing other planets, then PCF will be the only important forum. The best thing would be if PCF would be owned by MA for all planets.

In my view the planets should be separated, unless they tie together in story and so on. Travel between them should not be possible and if you want to be on all planets you should have a separated char on each of them.

In time each planet will get its own unique systems and tools and whatever else, as well as its very own unique community and economy.

But that's not whats happening. And I'll believe it when I see it. So far you have 100% freedom to take yourself, items, and skills, to any planet, and I see no reason to believe this is actually going to change. Honestly I don't even believe the ability is there at the moment to split it. With all the exciting talk of planets.. so far what I see are new continents with new land areas. They are more like expansion packs than anything else.

Really? Cause I'm using my angel and strikehammer and my 200 health to be able to kill most of the mobs on Next Island. What are the supposed players of this totally different game that has existed for 4 days supposed to be doing? They sure as hell can't kill any of the mobs. They could mine for lyst and oil I guess.. gee those totaly new resources sure ring a bell. I guess they could just sit around and sweat.. hmm something familiar about that too.

In my view the planets should be separated, unless they tie together in story and so on. Travel between them should not be possible and if you want to be on all planets you should have a separated char on each of them.

........yeah but we've read your posts before :)

All depends where information gets posted or is available. When new EF reopened, I’ve thought that all EU related info goes over there, and I’ve tried, but EF is still very quiet. Therefore, I’m quite sure, if FPC allows threads addressing other planets, then PCF will be the only important forum. The best thing would be if PCF would be owned by MA for all planets.

Been thinking about it really. Maybe MindArk should take over and make ONE big forum and have every planet their section with their mods and one MindArk community Mananger that answers also to MA related questions.

Still wish is was possible to get all the forum information from all the planet to one place or in one program so you see everything

The community does not truely exist on a forum. Community exists within the game.

So...no.

Did the sale of EF destroy the community?

No.

Did the sale of EF have an unfortunate impact of proportions that not even MA/FPC have matched in the past?

Yes.

Will I ever return to EF?

No.

Will I ever join EntropiaPlanets?

Possibly, but for now I don't see an incentive to do so.

Is PCF optimal?

No. There's a lot of work to be done and it is a huge drawback that it's FPC specific.

What is the alternatives?

1. Return to EF, owned and managed by a person who have just sold us out.

2. Stay here on a forum which suffers in various areas and is also managed by someone who have just recently sold us out.

3. Join EntropiaPlanets which, as far as I know, has yet to achieve a sufficient user base.

So why am I still here?

Honestly, I don't know.

Best regards.

Destroyed, no. Splintered, I think it has a bit.

Been thinking about it really. Maybe MindArk should take over and make ONE big forum and have every planet their section with their mods and one MindArk community Mananger that answers also to MA related questions.

Still wish is was possible to get all the forum information from all the planet to one place or in one program so you see everything

That's the point.

So why am I still here?

Honestly, I don't know.

Because this forum is active and has sufficient information.

Because this forum is active and has sufficient information.

Active? Possibly, but you don't notice it. Every time I click "new posts" I get a very short list.

Sufficient information? If this is at all true, it's only so if it's relevant to the game in general or to calypso.

To take an example, I'd very much like to know more about the sacred boar. I didn't find it here.

..PCF/Arkadia/NI/RT/EP/EF combined into one website/program of some kind.

That's what we really need: create a Google-type website for the entire EU community. The forum owners will hate that, but who cares? lol

+rep for Faye :)

And imo, people updating the EP wiki (or any other wiki) are wasting valueable resources, it would make more sense to keep all info on entropedia, where actually someone is working on improvements - plus EP will never have tables like entropedia has, so why bother?

Didn't you claim you've been the one who did the most work on EP!?! What happened?

Since entropedia and "EP wiki (or any other wiki)" are completey different things they are rather a perfect couple than competitors.

However, EF has never been "the community" and no other forum ever will be. I guess the community is too diverse to come together on one forum or even forums at all. So looks like one has to decide between quantity or quality, planet specific or all universe, ... or sign-up n several forums.

I'm in favour of an all universe approach and fortunately there are options to choose.

And there's a (under construction) something to collect info from various sources: Info Page

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Cause I'm using my angel and strikehammer and my 200 health to be able to kill most of the mobs on Next Island. What are the supposed players of this totally different game that has existed for 4 days supposed to be doing? They sure as hell can't kill any of the mobs. They could mine for lyst and oil I guess.. gee those totaly new resources sure ring a bell. I guess they could just sit around and sweat.. hmm something familiar about that too.

Can you please concentrate on exterminating those monkeys and their irritating, constant, high pitched squealing noise? :silly2:

On topic:

I'm still trying to work out why MA didn't purchase and take over a forum that by it's name alone was perfect for everything Entropia, and use this to create the ultimate community.

Had they done this then all planet partners could have had their own official sub forum as part of the deal with MA, which surely would have saved them all time, money and staffing resources.

Instead FPC step in and make a huge mistake in allowing the same person who stopped bothering with EF, manage here. :duh:

Like others, I also don't wish to waste my time trawling though a growing number of forums to get the latest news and information, and with PCF or whatever this place is now called no longer feeling right, I therefore find myself drawn more and more toward another forum that is currently a far superior source of planet information than the specific planet ones. :)

So yes, for me the sale destroyed the specific EF community. I guess FPC weren't content with only destroying my in world home, TI City. :mad:

...So yes, for me the sale destroyed the specific EF community. I guess FPC weren't content with only destroying my in world home, TI City. :mad:

I personally don't see any problems with the sale. Ok, first I've thought there might be censorship, but at it seems till now this is not the case. Secondly, as FPC is the owner now, they are obliged to answer questions, a thing that was missing on EF. So this is a new quality we hadn’t before.

In time....

My point exactly. Between the "as situation" described by Centech and the "will be" situation you describe, a few lightyears will pass if I know MA a little. In the meanwhile a fractured community WILL NOT help MA and its partners in any way. Sorry m8, but it is just to naive thinking from your side.

This is something I've been thinking a lot about the last few days.. Entropia Universe.. is a Universe.. it is growing, and it includes at least 3 different 'games' at the moment..... .....community itself. :(

Yes, I totally agree with your statement.

I still see the 3 planets a 1 game, with 1 playerbase. So 1 forum should cover all.

But alas, it's to late now. it's been torn apart...

Didn't you claim you've been the one who did the most work on EP!?! What happened?

Since entropedia and "EP wiki (or any other wiki)" are completey different things they are rather a perfect couple than competitors.

However, EF has never been "the community" and no other forum ever will be. I guess the community is too diverse to come together on one forum or even forums at all. So looks like one has to decide between quantity or quality, planet specific or all universe, ... or sign-up n several forums.

I'm in favour of an all universe approach and fortunately there are options to choose.

<snip>
Removed shameless ad

Tass, i took almost everything of "my work" with me when i left - your point?
You do remember that EP used to have it's own global tracker, do you?
And yes, i spent far more work hours on improving EP than anyone else (including it's owners), again... your point?

And you know the twisted lies stating "what happened" from the EP "staff lounge" - don't tell me now that you want to know what really happened...
You never gave a rats ass about anything not directly affecting you before... What happened? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lee
Tass, i took almost everything of "my work" with me when i left - your point?
You do remember that EP used to have it's own global tracker, do you?
And yes, i spent far more work hours on improving EP than anyone else (including it's owners), again... your point?

And you know the twisted lies stating "what happened" from the EP "staff lounge" - don't tell me now that you want to know what really happened...
You never gave a rats ass about anything not directly affecting you before... What happened? :rolleyes:

There are others reading this gettin curious.:girl: So...still no concrete answer to "what Happened". What would cause wizzszz to stomp out in a tantrum with all his files under his arm and totally exausted from all that work and little sleep?:scratch2: Btw, I dont work for the other side, in fact I dont go there anymore. Bad pay? Bad treatment? No recognition? Cmon wizzszz, satisfy our curiosity pls. I thought Lykke and Peter were nice peops. Then again I dont know them that well.

Last edited:
I don't see how these new "planets" can be a different game. As far as I understand, MA provides the same game engine for all "planets" (obviously CE2), the same game mechanics, the same loot system and even the same settings for the loot system across "the universe".

As I see it, it's not "the universe", there is one big MA Planet with lots of continents on it, the only difference between these continents is landscape, outlook of items and resources.

When you become an MA partner you just buy a continent which you can then sub-lease to other people in a form of LAs and get your share of profit from MA for your marketing efforts aimed at the people coming there and spending their money.

As to the forums, it makes sense to have one forum owned by MA about EU and inside it to have subforums about "planets". Rather then have a dozen of a half empty ones with scattered pieces of information.

Back