FYI: Economy, Decay, Dynamic Loot, and you.

Spinage

Alpha
For a long while I have been thinking about common loot theories, statements from MA, item stats, and how it all ties together and have came up with a few 'conclusions'.

It is always tricky to really get into topics like this on EF due to it being quite 'controversial' :laugh:, so I'd like to say from the begginning; Nothing is true until it is officially confirmed, and even if that happened, it still isn't necessarily true lol.

This thread will hopefully show you how in EU (hunting in particular), all these statements can be true:

• There is no personal loot pool (in fact, no loot pool at all technically).
  • Every avatar has equal chances - already covered Here, but still applies.
  • Hunting loot, although random, is a predetermined average dependant on Hp and other factors of mob
  • MA take a 'dynamic' portion of decay of weapons/amps.
  • Despite loot being random and equal, it IS to an extent controllable by MA (on a universal scale), although they may have never, ever changed it. There are three ways this can apply that will be discussed later, only one of which actually means someone from MA sits there and tinkers with loot (the most unlikely scenario imo).
  • Considering both eco AND decay % (we won't be discussing effects on defensive decay too deeply), you can reduce costs enough to marginally effect TT% before defense.

Now, already I guess 90% of you are thinking, wtf is this clown going to come out with now; half of those things contradict each other. Well, as I have said in another post;), just read the whole post and try to understand it before commenting.

OK so, let's start:

Since hearing about 'personal lootpool' I have always been skeptical, but mostly quietly so. It would be really hard to prove either way without a huge statistical test on an almost undoable scale. So I decided to see what I could do that was on a do-able scale and realised that, whilst impefect, you can simulate results to a degree, depending on what you 'assume'. So; I took the statistics of some ranged weapons from entropedia and made an excel chart that was mostly automated (using basic formulas) that would tell me how returns would be effected if we were to 'assume' different things. I assumed: "My TT% will be loot=Expenses - Decay." and got this:

example_1.jpg

All figures in pec

These numbers didn't make sense. Apparently, the Maddox 04, second most 'eco' weapon on the list, would only give me around a 66% return BEFORE fap/armor, where as an opallo, second most uneco, would give me a99% return.

This was assuming MA takes all decay of course. So I decided to test the theory (personal loot pool) again, but with arbitrary fraction of decay not being recycled (in other words, I chose a random ammount of decay for MA to take, and returned the rest as loot). Trial and error and rationalize until I saw something that made sense was my plan.

The results I got were much of the same, just with different numbers. If personal loot pools existed, I concluded, we would know already, indefinitely. Using arbitrary mob hps to generate cost to kill and assuming loot was different depending on what you spent on the mob (aka personal loot) in ammo (ie -decay) I saw that you would be getting consistent 1ped differences in each loot event between using a maddox and opallo on a 1khp mob. The difference was greater on greater hps. Also, just simply using loot=90% of expenditure would mean great variations in loots from mobs too (and I mean noticeable variations, especially on bigger mobs.)

No matter how I calculated, or what variables I changed, I couldn't find a method that wouldn't be blindingly obvious already that inplied the sytem "Tracked" how much you spent and returned it.

So I decided to dimiss personal loot theory for now, and see how loot could work without it. My first thought was "maybe mobs just have basic, standard loot averages based on things like their HP".

This still makes ubers/hoffs possible as the loot would still effectively be random, it would just have a mean ammount that it would deviate around, independant on the ammount you SPENT on the mob.

O.K, this bit is difficult to explain, but as always, I'll try:

While testing, I realised that the % of decay taken (as in the % of the %decay) by MA (taken from the quote from MA "some of the decay" not "all") had to be DYNAMIC. It wouldn't make sense with a static number on all weapons. It had to be a different % of the stated decay on weapons, for each weapon.

I devised a simple formula to apply to all weapon decay: "(mobHp/X)/decay = % of decay that is MA actual profit".

Now I need to make this clear: that is not even a guess at the real formula, but it again shows how it would be possible and shows it in a simplistic formula. I suspect if such a real formula existed, it would also account for the Mobs damage, the weapons range, the mobs regen .. etc... etc.

X is a arbitrary number set by MA/dynamic formula/static number. I used 290 in my experiment. Let me show you the chart that came out of it:
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Explanation:

The MA/Decay section is just the above mentioned formula; in excel terms it was "=(h'/290)/l'". This gave a different % to be used for each weapon, but the % would stay the same if mob hp was changed. It woul only change if the 'X' factor (that we will never know changed, or decay changed (weapon).

In the chart, you can see I was even able to hazard a guess at actual decay costs of melee weapons as well, despite all there costs being in decay.

"Ma profit" was the decay % from the above formula, multiplied by the total decay it took to kill the mob.

For this to be correct, it would imply something that I think I've not heard yet on the forums, yet something that is quite logical: MA takes a static ammount of ped as profit for each mob killed, independant of any money spent, completely based on the formula mentioned above (which would have more variables, the main one being X.. explained further down). This would mean MA would always profit from a mobs 'death', and each death would create a drain on the in game ped. This also implys MA are taking a % of decay, since as the formula to take a fair ammount of ped for each death relies heavily on decay of items. Also I believe (although I won't discuss this in detail, I think it's kinda just taken as fact anyway) that MA also take decay of fap/armor, so that is why the TT returns after weapon use alone are quite high (higher than the 90% expected).

This 'theory' would also mean that loot is not effected, at least TT wise, by the weapon you use or armor you wear. Meaning it is possible to increase your returns by being eco, but considering decay % of total costs too. See the chart for maddox 4 example. There is only a 5% difference in returns between opallo and maddox 4 now, much more realistic, and interestingly, in the opposite direction. Before using this formula, there is a 32%~ difference.

The only extreme outlier seems to be in the Imp MK II, which seems to be significantly better than most weapons.. but again, compared to other theories results in this test, it is much more balanced.

This is just a basic...very basic overview of how this would really be applied to MA, and in no way would predict loot (it's random, even if averaged). It does however show a very nice way of comparing weapons besides "eco" which by the looks of it, is not the only factor (based on maths alone).

The X factor

The most interesting thing about that little formula I devised is the X factor. this number has the most influence on the whole table. Changing this would effectively change your return % due to MA taking more/less per kill or per hp, or per any other factor.

This 'x' would be 1 of three things, if at all real:

A) a static number decided at birth of EU, and never changed unless in a complete balancing fiasco/mistake.

B) a changeable number/'switch' that allows MA to directly effect return %s universally. I doubt they'd fiddle with this, but at least it gives the conspiracists something to think about;).

C) IMO most likely (if true at all); a dynamic formula within itself, based on many factors like time/skills/mob/event/location/population/economoy, etc, whatever you want to add.

Now. I may have just sounded like the biggest raving lunie ever, so here's a disclaimer:

I don't particularly believe any of this to be true, again it is just a 'theory' that could be 'true' with the knowledge that we do have. It encompasses a lot, and it's important to look at it from a wide perspective. It is most likely that parts of it are spot on, and parts of it are way off. The only things that need to be true (or really, not true) for this to be possible are:

No personal loot pool/ loot pool really.
System not 'tracking' people's loot/expenditure and balancing it (instead, relying on law of large numbers, which invariable creates misnomers like people getting doubel ubers;);))

Thanks for reading this whole thing if you did :scratch2: I'm not sure I'd have the patience rofl.

Edit: requested conclusion (im crap at keeping things short):

Main point of this, if it was true, would be that MA don't take a % of loot, or expenditure, they just take a set number of pec/ped for each mob killed, whilst loot is variable on other factors (that we never know :p)

This would mean that, ironically, if your expenditure was lower on killing something, the % taken by MA is higher, but your returns are still higher. If yourexpenditure is higher, % taken by MA is lower, but less returns. Also, it would mean that people using less eco guns are almost donating to people using eco guns.

Last edited:
Maybe write a small "Conclusion" paragraph of 3-4 sentences?

Interesting :D

Good work on working this out. some i might can agree with. then again it could be wrong lol. but good work none the less.

No personal loot pool/ loot pool

Hooray.

Just static constant seed pec value determined by damage inflicted, multiplied by the state of mob/area/etc.

I don't buy that a small company that opperates as we all know and love, would consider a completely insanely complex set of internal calculations for which their bacon depended upon.

However the 'x' factor, while could be seen as a get-out-of-jail-free for your complex calculation is actually more than likely. Software gets tweaked and rewritten in poor circumstances, where things have to remain working and the old crap gets reused. Sometimes stuff gets forgotten and has to be tagged on somehow.

I don't view the idea of MA's control over certain factors as rigging or pertaining to conspiracy, view it has control rods in a nuclear powerstation. MA can't lock down all accounts or make every single mob loot 1pec until they work out what went wrong, when the inevitable Neo comes along and gives them a serious headache.

I agree with X factor and C).

I mean the economy changes with time. For example when L items started to appear breaking even with korss h400 at 200% was possible nothing that hard actually. First adapted anabolics (when the first L adapted anabolic bp was looted) with their insane % was really a good deal, could generate profit. Now those weapons have a lot less markup but they still doesn`t guarantee that you will profit. The base eco on those guns haven`t changed. Heh, adapted anabolic had DPS upgrade (at first it had less attacks per min). So it means that the loot and everything changes together with the economy. Whats different? Well imho its the SIB weapons that changed the "loot" everyone have a lot better eco nowadays...

So IMHO when the average eco people have (started to use a lot of SIB weapons) increases, you actually get less loot because you don`t hunt so economical anymore compared to others.

Just my point of view

Its a nice try, but I kinda miss the self sustainability of the system. Being an engineer, I think the loot system is a self-regulating negative feedback system. And there is not one, but several of these, dependent on where the money comes from (ammo+decay, auction fees, ads etc). These system work simply by subtracting all payed out money from all spent money globally. Based on this figure a loot multiplier or loot probability is determined. If this figure gets very negative, the multiplier or probability goes down and there will be less loot, if this figure gets positive, the multiplier or probability goes up and there will be more loot. The target value for this figure is 0. As for the decay dilemma (one weapon decays more, one almost not etc), I solve that by just recycling all weapon and amp decay back in my theory.

Anyhow, it always interesting to read some other ideas. Although I think yours is a bit too cumbersome to control, so not likely the system in place.

its certainly interesting start, but i'll admit i've stopped reading it all... just after "lets start", as there's an important question to answer: have you tested the points you are putting across or is this a purely theoreticall maths exercise? and if you have tested, for how long, how much ped, what setup, which mobs etc. or put another way, can we reproduce the method?

its certainly interesting start, but i'll admit i've stopped reading it all... just after "lets start", as there's an important question to answer: have you tested the points you are putting across or is this a purely theoreticall maths exercise? and if you have tested, for how long, how much ped, what setup, which mobs etc. or put another way, can we reproduce the method?

It's purely mathematical, with limited testing. If you wanna test it, just go kill a ton of mobs and record each individual loot. Then take a less or more eco gun with a higher or lower decay %... basically a gun that makes it less or more cost per kill and kill tons of mobs again, recording the same info.

Look at the mean and median loot per mob and see if theres a noticeable difference (the difference could be smaller if you do a large sample, but would have to be huge over a small sample). That's how it's testable... as a community you could easily test it. There should be no difference.

Witte: in a clumsy way, I am trying to imply the system self regulates. I actually didn't mention, because it was getting complicated... but the "loot" column in that chart is also based of a formula with unknown (to us), so arbitrary in the experminent, factors that MA/system would controll, most likely automatically. So basically, dependant on lots of things loot multiplier would change.

Main point of this, if it was true, would be that MA don't take a % of loot, or expenditure, they just take a set number of pec/ped for each mob killed, whilst loot is variable on other factors (that we never know :p)

This would mean that, ironically, if your expenditure was lower on killing something, the % taken by MA is higher, but your returns are still higher. If yourexpenditure is higher, % taken by MA is lower, but less returns. Also, it would mean that people using less eco guns are almost donating to people using eco guns.

Its my belief that MA takes a few percent of your TT on total weapon cost based on a 3.0 average eco. So mod merc users may have close to 100% tt return on their weapon costs and as eco goes down MA takes a little bit more. Overkill gets taken by ma and Armor and fap decay gets fully taken by MA.

This being the case, whats important is how much it costs per pt dmg and not the decay of the weapon.

Higher weapon decay does not mean lower return, you have to see how much dmg that additional decay adds.

I must admit I don't follow your whole decay theory, not sure what you are doing exactly, but how does for example this weapon fit in?

I think all the fiddling to make weapon decay fit in is making it all way to complex. I must apply Occam's razor here ;). If MA wanted a fixed cost per mob, they would have just made it like that, without all the messing with decay. If MA wanted cost in terms of percentage, they also would just have made it like that. I see no point why they would make such a complex system messing with decay just to end up with a fixed cost or a cost based on percentage.

So either they are just misleading us with the "we take revenue from decay" or your theory is wrong. I see no point for MA to mislead us here, so I am left with one conclusion ;)

Its a nice try, but I kinda miss the self sustainability of the system. Being an engineer, I think the loot system is a self-regulating negative feedback system. And there is not one, but several of these, dependent on where the money comes from (ammo+decay, auction fees, ads etc). These system work simply by subtracting all payed out money from all spent money globally. Based on this figure a loot multiplier or loot probability is determined. If this figure gets very negative, the multiplier or probability goes down and there will be less loot, if this figure gets positive, the multiplier or probability goes up and there will be more loot. The target value for this figure is 0. As for the decay dilemma (one weapon decays more, one almost not etc), I solve that by just recycling all weapon and amp decay back in my theory.
Witte is almost right, there is a personal pool, otherwise some people would be in constant profit, while others would be in constant loss for long periods of time. Just consider that almost everyone is in constant loss, thus proving a negative-feedback personal pool drain.

However, I consider that since MA needs to get paid for your activities, either directly or indirectly, they do take weapon decay out of your loot. Otherwise some players would just play for free, while stressing MA's servers.

Witte is almost right, there is a personal pool, otherwise some people would be in constant profit, while others would be in constant loss for long periods of time. Just consider that almost everyone is in constant loss, thus proving a negative-feedback personal pool drain.

However, I consider that since MA needs to get paid for your activities, either directly or indirectly, they do take weapon decay out of your loot. Otherwise some players would just play for free, while stressing MA's servers.

I am not claiming I am right or not, nor should you. Nobody of us knows how it works for sure.

... I must apply Occam's razor here ;). If MA wanted a fixed cost per mob, they would have just made it like that, without all the messing with decay.

then we have to consider how does mining with its very small decay cost and crafting with 0 decay fit in?

I must admit I don't follow your whole decay theory, not sure what you are doing exactly, but how does for example this weapon fit in?

I think all the fiddling to make weapon decay fit in is making it all way to complex. I must apply Occam's razor here ;). If MA wanted a fixed cost per mob, they would have just made it like that, without all the messing with decay. If MA wanted cost in terms of percentage, they also would just have made it like that. I see no point why they would make such a complex system messing with decay just to end up with a fixed cost or a cost based on percentage.

So either they are just misleading us with the "we take revenue from decay" or your theory is wrong. I see no point for MA to mislead us here, so I am left with one conclusion ;)

Yeah, this wasn't meant to be fact:p just a fun theory, so I have tons of unknown variables.

Anyhow, it's not MA misleading us, it's MA telling the truth. Maybe I am being unclear:

If there was a basic average loot per mob, and MA take a static pec from system fro each death of mob. This ammount that they take would have to be balanced, and the ammount to take can be worked out by using a formula based on decay, so that MA will never take more than weapon decay and the additional defense decay.

Using that example you gave, putting it through the same formulas, it is rated as just slightly worse than iMKII. It's decay % is 50% of all costs, yet, using the numbers I used for others (as an example, since as we don't know real numbers), MA would only effectively take 2.21% of the decay.

This is why I believe guns like these are so rare and only a few are in the system. They still pay MA exactly the same per mob, but create a 'drain' on in game ped, giving them an "edge" on other players, who suffer from that drain.

This is all speculation. Just fiddle a bit yourself with that negative feedback theory, using some stats from weapons. I tried it at 90% back all the time and it just doesn't work, maybe I am missing something. It would work only with notable increases in loot TT per mob killed.

Maybe I should just ask volunteers to record there loot with different weapons, but from my own limited experience with different weapons, loot is the same :/ ped-wise.

then we have to consider how does mining with its very small decay cost and crafting with 0 decay fit in?
Mining has decay, and it's not really small, consider a good mining tool, and a mod merc with 2% decay, and see which one decays more in 1000 ped of stackables.

When mining you decay the finder and the excavator, and now, amps too. Amps decay go into the crafting section, also mineral refining is decay. In crafting you have some shared decay with hunters and miners, with the tools you produce, but of course it's indirect.

I am not claiming I am right or not, nor should you. Nobody of us knows how it works for sure.
I don't claim to know for sure, because I really don't know. It just seems fair, that a naked avatar hunting with mod merc, is paying MA with decay, even if it's that small (2%). And that 2% figure, for a very prized and rare item, considering that others provide way bigger figures, fit in with the casino rules (where 2.5-5%, average 3.1) is considered the magic spot.

Consider this for example: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...skippies-how-2-profit-thread.html#post1289944

3.3% decay on 1000 ped of ammo, with MM. (ignore unneeded textile refining). MA would be happy to get at least this from any player.

Do you suggest that someone running around with no fap and armor and killing lower mobs with a MM is always free of decay?

I think it just fits as it is.

I don't claim to know for sure, because I really don't know. It just seems fair, that a naked avatar hunting with mod merc, is paying MA with decay, even if it's that small (2%). And that 2% figure, for a very prized and rare item, considering that others provide way bigger figures, fit in with the casino rules (where 2.5-5%, average 3.1) is considered the magic spot.

Consider this for example: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...skippies-how-2-profit-thread.html#post1289944

3% decay on 1000 ped of ammo, with MM. (ignore unneeded textile refining)

Do you suggest that someone running around with no fap and armor and killing lower mobs with a MM is always free of decay?

I don't get where you get the "free of decay" from, you also asked that in the other thread. The person in your example has to pay for the decay just like anyone else. I just think the decay is recycled back into loot, and not taken out of the system by MA. So it can end up in anyones loot.

I think that armor and FAP decay is enough of a drain for MA to make sufficient turnover. When I look at the average hunter, it seems to me that it quite well fits the model. 5-15 PED per hours wasn't it? And if they want more, they just increase the HP of mobs, or introduce a couple of mobs with very huge HP, so that your ranged gun can no longer prevent decay. (hmm that all sounds a bit familiar:silly2:).

I think it just fits as it is.

I think that armor and FAP decay is enough of a drain for MA to make sufficient turnover. When I look at the average hunter, it seems to me that it quite well fits the model. 5-15 PED per hours wasn't it? And if they want more, they just increase the HP of mobs, or introduce a couple of mobs with very huge HP, so that your ranged gun can no longer prevent decay. (hmm that all sounds a bit familiar:silly2:).

Must spread rep before... yada yada

Note: if this whole load of stuffs was true, it would mean majority of weapon decay is cycled back

Using that example you gave, putting it through the same formulas, it is rated as just slightly worse than iMKII. It's decay % is 50% of all costs, yet, using the numbers I used for others (as an example, since as we don't know real numbers), MA would only effectively take 2.21% of the decay.

But the decay of that gun is 0. 2.21% of 0 is 0 ;).

This is why I believe guns like these are so rare and only a few are in the system. They still pay MA exactly the same per mob, but create a 'drain' on in game ped, giving them an "edge" on other players, who suffer from that drain.

It basically means we have to take the gun with the lowest decay as basis, else there would be a difference in cost between different guns, and the cost per mob would not be a fixed value. Since the lowest decay gun is 0, it seems something goes wrong here. Also a gun like this would fit in badly.

Or maybe I just misunderstand your theory. It is still not totally clear to me ;). Maybe I should read it once again hehe.

I don't get where you get the "free of decay" from, you also asked that in the other thread. The person in your example has to pay for the decay just like anyone else. I just think the decay is recycled back into loot, and not taken out of the system by MA. So it can end up in anyones loot.
Does that decay return to the same player, or not?

It's a simple question. I don't know why your replies are vague, I keep asking the same question: Does the weapon + amp decay come back to the player in loots, or is forever lost? If it does, then hunting naked with MM means it's a "play-for-free" card from MA. If hunting naked with MM deduces 2% decay from expenditures, then MA gets 2% from the player.

If my decay ends in your loot, and your decay in my loot, and everyone pays auction fees, ads fees, rents, all kinds of other fees... how do you explain the fact that in the long run, nobody profits at TT, no matter what gear or skills they use?!

But the decay of that gun is 0. 2.21% of 0 is 0 ;).

It basically means we have to take the gun with the lowest decay as basis, else there would be a difference in cost between different guns, and the cost per mob would not be a fixed value. Since the lowest decay gun is 0, it seems something goes wrong here. Also a gun like this would fit in badly.

Or maybe I just misunderstand your theory. It is still not totally clear to me ;). Maybe I should read it once again hehe.

Lol witte, I misread the stats and thought it was 13 pec decay and 13pec ammo:/ for 0 decay I don't really know.

I guess you could say that MA still take the same pec/ped for mobs killed, but then that wouldn't be a % of decay. So you got me there :) I honestly did not realise there were guns with 0 decay.

With some thinking you could argue that out of total decay from all users MA has a dynamic formula to take a % on that. It would have the same result, with same implications. Also, it would rely on these 0 decay guns being very, very rare.

Allll speculation, I was bored. When is my damn EU pc gonna be fixed

Also, it would mean that people using less eco guns are almost donating to people using eco guns.

Tbh that`s what I believe in... :D
Actually that`s why I like to see ppl waste their ped with not maxed mk2 and I get some of their losses in my loot by hunting with ul Anabolic. :ahh:

Btw where have all the MK2 users gone?... :scratch2:

Tbh that`s what I believe in... :D
Actually that`s why I like to see ppl waste their ped with not maxed mk2 and I get some of their losses in my loot by hunting with ul Anabolic. :ahh:

Btw where have all the MK2 users gone?... :scratch2:
So you always get more loot compared to how much you spend on ammo and decay?

Does that decay return to the same player, or not?

It's a simple question. I don't know why your replies are vague, I keep asking the same question: Does the weapon + amp decay come back to the player in loots, or is forever lost? If it does, then hunting naked with MM means it's a "play-for-free" card from MA. If hunting naked with MM deduces 2% decay from expenditures, then MA gets 2% from the player.

If my decay ends in your loot, and your decay in my loot, and everyone pays auction fees, ads fees, rents, all kinds of other fees... how do you explain the fact that in the long run, nobody profits at TT, no matter what gear or skills they use?!

I don't know if that is a fact. I have never seen evidence for that "fact". On the contrary, take for example the noob with 2 ubers in 2 days. It doesn't point in the direction of a forced return. Else that noob is screwed for the coming year lootwise ;)

I don't know if that is a fact. I have never seen evidence for that "fact". On the contrary, take for example the noob with 2 ubers in 2 days. It doesn't point in the direction of a forced return. Else that noob is screwed for the coming year lootwise ;)
It's not that simple...

Suppose he will spend all the tt from the ubers, all year around, only on ammo or probes, without buying weapons or armors. After spending all that fortune, will he get back the tt to it's initial level, lower or higher?

It's not that simple...

Suppose he will spend all the tt from the ubers, all year around, only on ammo or probes, without buying weapons or armors. After spending all that fortune, will he get back the tt to it's initial level, lower or higher?

That will depend on the loot. According to your theory he wont get any more ubers else he will still end up with a surplus in TT. On the contrary, he will have very bad loot to compensate for those ubers. I don't believe that will happen though. But like you I am without proof.

It's not that simple...

Well if he somehow spent it ONLY on ammo.. He should get it all back more or less.. with some variance (though not much if he was shooting ~3.5k through an opallo at small mobs). That's just going off of the given statements that only decay, and not all, is taken.

Also, there is good precident for this. Looking at most logs on the forums that record decay seperately, you can see that on ammo/amp decays/ melee decay alone, the TT of loot is very close to 100%

I'd love to see a longitme log from somebody who is 10/10 on an imkII or MM.

Assuming he doesn't uber again :); which as time goes on, I believe more and more that ubers are generated mainly from things like auction fees/rent/portions of decay not taken by MA, and not ammo/amp/probes etc. < that last bit is just my belief.

Back