hangars

There are currently no plans in place to develop the hangars.

So I guess it's a good thing I dumped my Electro Matrix collection into the TTrash bin. :silly2:

Seriously though, one of my old friends in-game, Steele, who started just a bit before me (though he had wayyyy better luck) was one of those jilted hangar owners. He and his deposits quit the game as a result of what MA did to the hangar owners. He traded his Imp MK2 for a hangar. Look at what the value of an Imp MK2 is today, and comparably how useful the hangars are...

Shame on MA, I still feel bad for Steele.

So I guess it's a good thing I dumped my Electro Matrix collection into the TTrash bin. :silly2:

Seriously though, one of my old friends in-game, Steele, who started just a bit before me (though he had wayyyy better luck) was one of those jilted hangar owners. He and his deposits quit the game as a result of what MA did to the hangar owners. He traded his Imp MK2 for a hangar. Look at what the value of an Imp MK2 is today, and comparably how useful the hangars are...

Shame on MA, I still feel bad for Steele.

Darned if I know why you'd feel bad for him. He sold his hangar at a record high price of 230kped to Michael Ketch Arcanum well before VU10.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...29406-Steele-Hangers-Inc-Sold-In-takeover-Bid
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...21776-Most-expensive-items-sold-in-EU!-Part-2 (see item 40)

I don't understand. The people that bought the original hangars were given a privateer and an UL thruster. Whats the Problem?

If someone speculated on a hangar after that point and lost, cest la vie.

steve its hard to understand ma took our fully upgraded ship and the fuel and did give us a broken ship back whit no fuel :scratch2:

steve its hard to understand ma took our fully upgraded ship and the fuel and did give us a broken ship back whit no fuel :scratch2:

But im not sure if hangar owners would have been more happy if mindark had just kept the old ships stats and given them a working nonupgradeable shuttle which cant go on warp, cant be repaired from inside and was limited to its previous passenger number.
Adding a bluezone that includes calypso, foma and crystal palace but had a spacestation as accesspoint for interplanetary travels outside of this bluezone would have provided mindark to complete keep previous hangar functions - but then hangar owners would have been at immense disadvantage in regards to interplanetary transports.
Its often said that the new ships where less then what existed prior, actually they were a strong upgrade from an static shuttle to an improveable and warpcapable spacecraft that even has summon abilities which remove the need of customers to actually go to a distant hangar.

My guess is that the change in space where foma and crystal palace got move so close to calypso spacestation was a tribute to the hangar owners to give them their previous spacetransport locations back in easy reach without having to do much upgrades.

My guess is that the change in space where foma and crystal palace got move so close to calypso spacestation was a tribute to the hangar owners to give them their previous spacetransport locations back in easy reach without having to do much upgrades.

A tribute to hangar owners? :laugh:

MA took away a fully functioning ship and hangar system and gave us back an incomplete ship and functionless hangar that nobody needs to use to get anywhere.

Moving FOMA and CP was done so that anyone with a cheap, readily available quad or sleip and thruster (L) could go to those locations whenever they wanted, quickly and easily.

A tribute to hangar owners? :laugh:

MA took away a fully functioning ship and hangar system and gave us back an incomplete ship and functionless hangar that nobody needs to use to get anywhere.

Moving FOMA and CP was done so that anyone with a cheap, readily available quad or sleip and thruster (L) could go to those locations whenever they wanted, quickly and easily.

OR they moved foma and CP closer to the station so they could create a bottle neck for the pirates to camp.

I don't understand. The people that bought the original hangars were given a privateer and an UL thruster. Whats the Problem?

If someone speculated on a hangar after that point and lost, cest la vie.

Problem basically was that Mindark drastically moved the goalposts.

They did this even though one of their representatives (Frank) went public saying that 'hangar owners are in for a lucrative future for sure' so in my opinion Mindark are responsible for distorting the market which led to some players losing lots of money buying hangars.

So for me that wasn't just speculation, it was investment based upon (mis)information publicly offered from the 'horse's mouth'.

And like Mandy said they did not compensate hangar owners for the full tank of oil (2000 peds) nor the original tt value of the ship for those ships fully repaired.

All this has been thrashed to death in previous threads and the fact that just about every hangar owner pre-vu 10 is disgusted with what happened should tell you something (ie. that we can't all be ungrateful whiners).

You would probably have to be a hangar owner pre-vu 10 and then after hangars were reintroduced to fully appreciate just how much we were short changed.

Kim I wonder what you really think about this issue, do you think we got a fair deal?

Problem basically was that Mindark drastically moved the goalposts.

They did this even though one of their representatives (Frank) went public saying that 'hangar owners are in for a lucrative future for sure' so in my opinion Mindark are responsible for distorting the market which led to some players losing lots of money buying hangars.

So for me that wasn't just speculation, it was investment based upon (mis)information publicly offered from the 'horse's mouth'.

And like Mandy said they did not compensate hangar owners for the full tank of oil (2000 peds) nor the original tt value of the ship for those ships fully repaired.

All this has been thrashed to death in previous threads and the fact that just about every hangar owner pre-vu 10 is disgusted with what happened should tell you something (ie. that we can't all be ungrateful whiners).

You would probably have to be a hangar owner pre-vu 10 and then after hangars were reintroduced to fully appreciate just how much we were short changed.

Kim I wonder what you really think about this issue, do you think we got a fair deal?

I agree there should probably have been some individual compensation based on lost oil, etc. however it would be interesting to know how much peds were received by hangar owners in total over the time when they got all the TP fees from Mindark - this is constantly being ignored even thought it was straight profit without any costs involved and im sure it was more then the initial costs of getting the upgradeable privateers ready would have been.
Also Mandy when you quote me please dont just pick on one line to take it out of context, i wrote my assumption based on my former statement that i think its a huge improvement that hangar owners got a ship they can upgrade further and which gives them access to other planets whereas before they just had a shuttle that went to foma and cp - im pretty sure there would be more complaints if hangar owners had been just left with their hangar tp's to foma and cp and an spacecraft animation while all other people could go everywhere.
And yes i think hangar owners are still due for getting planetside landing back, but i dont see this working with the former hangars anymore as they would be missing on the other planets - hangars need a different purpose in todays time.

The two major flaws in the transition phase were, the not thought through reintroduction of hangars instead of maybe just giving hangar owners some gold for initial upgrades, or giving them already partly upgraded privateers - and not giving exact information to hangar owners of what they can expect and what not.

PS: Mandy im still waiting on your reply to my pm in regards to Dreadnoughts, if you come with own assumptions you should atleast say why.

PSS: Selling the hangar building even with just current functions, still gives enough peds to upgrade any privateer to an respectable SI level with all needed modules and some spare warp drives at hand. And there was the unlimited thruster handout as well.

Last edited:
why shuld i have to sell my hangar to upgrade my ship and fix the missing parts its wrong ma took our ship and did give us back some broken shit

An answer to JBK: In the old days with the old graphics we had Spaceships-Not shuttles Not taxis! The animation might have been old hat under the Game Bryo engine but a lot of people aspired to owning a Spaceship in this game.
All spaceships were bought and paid for ie we had a running ship and a hangar which came as a pair. Even tho we only had 2 destinations to go to they Were in space and you needed to travel to them through space.
When we heard space was being introduced properly in game we assumed!! that finally our Spaceships would be able to move independently and we would finally be able to see space as it flashed past our cockpit and passenger windows after all the years of effectively a super TP.
What we didn't foresee was motherships being introduced before the return of the hangar ships which had faithfully carried passengers for the past almost 9 years. We also naively as it turned out didn't expect to be screwed over and pay an additional 70K peds approx for an upgrade on a ship that was bought and run in my case since 2005.
The hangars were introduced by SEE digital in the hope that MA would reasonably return our paid property to us (Spaceships) in a timely fashion and not royally screw us instead.
The thrusters were a total con as it turned out when any tom dick and harry could produce L versions which dropped the value of the unlimited items and also nailed another coffin shut by allowing any old crate to travel in space, to anywhere too.
I was one of the early pilots and ran a passenger service for many successful years which allowed me to work in game and pay my hunting and mining on my days off from flying.
The money we were paid during the "down time" was compensation for not being able to make money flying people to CND and CP and later inc RT. It wasnt paid to us on the knowledge that it would have to be used as upgrade money for a pretty paper bag which is all these new ships are. To even move my ship to the local "caly scrapyard" I had to buy at least one extra item to even fire up the engines.
To anyone who believes the ships were cheap to produce when the first appeared and that we have no real gripes plz refer to this link and see what the original ships took to produce.

http://www.entropiadirectory.com/wiki/Hangar

Deleted -double post

still no news abut hangar
guess we have to wait 5 years for ma to come whit a plan
if ma still are arund then :scratch2:

Maybe there will be a "robot invasion" some day, and MA will just take all the hangers back, and tell people the robots stole it.

Specifically, what could MA do that would increase the value of Hangars and Privateers?

In order for the value to increase, the function would have to improve, as well as the demand which is directly tied to the ability to generate PED with the Privateer.

Lots of Privateer and hangar owners want the ability to physically land the Privateer in the Hanger on the planet but how would that increase profitability? What would be the functional point of doing that?

As it is already, Privateer owners can instantaneously summons passengers from the planet to their ship and with the unlimited thruster they were given, they can travel between their ship in space and the planet almost for free.

By landing the ship on the planet, it wouldn't increase the functionality of the ship itself. It would just be cool. As a result, I don't see a way in which adding that function would improve the value of the Privateer or even the Hangar itself.

If you had to land the Privateer on the planet, it actually would hinder the functionality, plus you would need to buy Hangars on all the other planets in order to land there as well. I think a lot of us remember the hassle and dysfunction that was involved with getting a group of passengers all over to the hangar at once.

Im not trying to bash anyone's hopes here, just pointing out what is obvious to me.

I think that the only real way to increase the value of the Privateers themselves is to increase the amount of people traveling in space. New things such as the Moon later this year will help a little as will other new things in space but the only real way to increase the amount of paying passengers is to increase the amount of players in EU.

With that, the good news is that MA finally has started adverting and it seems that its working since there are lots of new players joining EU. Hopefully soon we will see the individual planet partners do more to attract new players to their planets as well.

Its easy to say that MA needs to do something, but its harder to figure out specifically what that is.

I think its safe to say that in the near term at least, we wont be seeing Privateers land on the planets.

consider a ship full of people, landing on the surface. only for the cost of the unlimited thruster, or similar device.

Instead of 50 people all paying for landing fees....would be profitable to the ship owner to charge for landings. but seems rather nickle and dime income for the owner, and a potential huge loss of landing fees for MA, so wont happen I think.:wise:

consider a ship full of people, landing on the surface. only for the cost of the unlimited thruster, or similar device.

Instead of 50 people all paying for landing fees....would be profitable to the ship owner to charge for landings. but seems rather nickle and dime income for the owner, and a potential huge loss of landing fees for MA, so wont happen I think.:wise:

Im not sure though that's how things would play out. Generally speaking passengers are taken 1 or 2 at a time and with the competitive nature of pilots in general, they all would just undercut each other's prices anyway.

So when its all said and done, they would be charging the exact same thing (or less) than they do now and end up having to do more work than they do now.

I'll have a go here with an idea. Kim please read this whole post there is a revenue opportunity here for the planets and for MA plus we can solve a few problems at once.

First though I want to say: who gives a shit about the hangar bay. When you guys bought your ships you paid to have the ability to take passengers into space and charge them a fee for doing it. You still have that ability.

The building itself is a glorified house and nothing more so for now, who cares if you cant land in it. Landing your privateer on the planet will do a sum total of ZERO to help your bottom line. This is about PED, right?

When the ships were first sold by MindArk they sold on auction for about 10K each. Currently the base value for a Privateer is something around 40-50K plus whatever SI upgrades you have made. Also that Hangar building is still worth 10K or more. Plus hanger owners were given an unlimited thruster for free. That all amounts to 5-6 times the value of when they were first sold. Yes I understand people had to gather all the parts originally to get the ship to fly but they also had years worth of earning ability. During that time the prices skyrocketed, like a lot of things did, and some people who sold made a killing and some who paid a high price from those people got burned really bad. That's not MindArk's fault... that's the end users, both the buyers and sellers.

Its not MindArk's fault that end users made unwise speculations and paid too much. Its also not the fault of the end users... it just is what it is and that's how things go some times. MindArk owes you nothing. They had to make choices for the sake of self preservation and also for the betterment of the game as whole. EU revolves around Hunting, Mining, and Crafting... not space travel.

Meanwhile I'm trying to help a friend buy a hangar bay at a reasonable price because he wants to use it as a house but every time we put forth an effort, other people step in and start spreading the rumor that some big hangar upgrade is imminent and as a result the prices are going to skyrocket. Really? All this does is get people whipped up and pissed off and encourages more baseless speculation on values.

The problem here is not that you cant land your ship in your hangar bay... who cares.

The REAL problem is that there aren't enough paying passengers to support all of the privateer and mothership owners at once. When the demand for space flight exceeds the capacity of available pilots, at that point the prices of Privateers and Motherships will start to go back up and then Pilots can go back to bitching and moaning about each other instead of bitching about MindArk.

As I stated in my previous post, we need more players and that's easier said then done but MA is making progress with that. MindArk and the planet partners have higher priority problems than the hangar bays and seemingly a lot of those problems are unrelated to pilots. Problems are opportunities and sometimes you can kill two birds with one stone.

One big problem MA is having is the inability to get the trade related economy off the ground on the other planets. People loot things and come back to Calypso to sell and people take Calypso stuff to those planets to use themselves. Its complete dysfunction. At the moment there is 1014 pages of items on the Calypso auction, 23 pages on Cyrene, 37 on Rocktropia, 8 pages on Next Island, and 158 on Arkadia. If you want to go to another planet, you better bring everything that you need but if you are an (L) item user, like most people, well good luck getting your stuff that you need there. Most people don't have the budget to buy multiple weeks worth of (L) stuff up front for an adventure on another planet, as a result, they spend their time on Calypso, even if they originally spawned on another planet.

We have the ability to browse the auctions of other planets from any planet however we can not bid and we can not purchase those items. We can only view what's happening. There are times when I want something that's on another planet but I'm not going to screw around with flying all the way there just to get it. Moreover, there are a lot of things on other planets that never see the auctions because first they wont sell on that planet and second the person doesn't want to screw around with coming to calypso. So that stuff either hits the TT or it sits in storage for weeks or months.

There once was a time when we paid an extra fee to buy items from other locations.

And here is the opportunity to kill a few birds with one stone.

First, with economics, you have to understand that supply creates demand. Its the same concept as "if you build it they will come" and so with an active auction system on each planet, a healthy vibrant economy will start to emerge. One would think that by giving people a way to buy and sell items on whichever planet through the auction system it would reduce space travel. That's just not the case. Its counterintuitive but it would INCREASE space travel because no one wants to fly to a dead planet and also a strong trade economy on each planet will increase interplanetary trade between all of the planets.

As I slowly build up my collection of various RockTropia Cocktail drinks when they get listed on the Calypso auction, I've often wondered why I cant just pay a fee and have them shipped from RockTropia. Listen, I was born in 1980, its currently 2013, and this is the internet. I need immediate gratification, like most other internet users my attention span lasts for a matter of minutes. I'm a customer and that's just reality.

Please explain to me why I cant just pay an extra fee so I can get my RockTropia cocktails on Calypso immediately. ...A few of you maybe figured out where I'm going with this.

Supply creates demand. At the moment, most pilots don't even bother to move their ships. They sit in space collecting dust. With more active pilots, it will cause more interplanetary travel. Maybe MA could give them a reason to be online and flying from planet to planet continuously.

Remember when hangers first launched? Space was completely imaginary. This is a video game... some degree of imagination is required here from the end user.

Why cant a Privateer or Mothership owner check a Terminal at the Space Station for "cargo containers" that are waiting to be delivered? MA could make an actual physical Cargo Container that can be picked up at one Space Station and dropped off at another. When a pilot has completed that simple task, they get a share of the fee I paid and the fees others pay to get their items shipped from planet to planet.

Also, if I need to take some stackable items from one planet to another planet... why cant I have a way where I can send the items there ahead of me completely risk free of being looted? Why cant I, as a customer, pay for that service? As it is now, for safe travel, people just log out while in flight. Any game model that encourages people to LOG OFF is completely flawed from the onset.

You, as the game developer, will never stop me, the end user/customer from logging off of your game if I need to. What you can do though is create something that gives me an alternative method to safely get my items from planet to planet and charge me a fee for doing it.

Fees that range between 1-10 ped (depending on TT value) are reasonable.

This can be a very simple system to create. For example: as I write this, there is a small stack of Pina Colada Cocktail on RockTropia. The buyout is 45 Ped and there aren't any others across the whole universe. I want them but I'm not flying to RockTropia to get them. Im also not going to bug my friends to get them for me. Im very happy to pay a few PED to get these Pina Colada Cocktails if I can have them right now, or at least within an hour.

Meanwhile, that few ped fee that I paid could be split between MA and a Cargo Container that spawns on RockTropia Space Station. Whichever Privateer or Mothership pilot gets there first can grab that Cargo Container from a special terminal and fly it over to Calypso Space Station. Upon doing so and dropping it off at the Cargo Terminal here on Calypso, they will get paid their share of that fee.

At no point do my Pina Colada Cocktails need to physically go from RockTropia, to the Space Station, into a pilot's inventory, to Calypso Space Station, and down to the planet. Instead, lets use a little imagination and put a 1 hour wait for getting the items so we can have a coherent theme and function regarding interplanetary shipping. It should not matter when a pilot actually picks up and delivers that container, who cares. We don't need to over think this, lets just keep it simple. If I want to send items ahead of me to Arkadia, the system could work in the same way.

This does not have to be complicated.

Meanwhile, MA and the Planets have a new revenue point, pilots have a new money source, pilots have an incentive to be more active and flying around, passengers have more access to pilots, passengers no longer need to log off when flying, each planet can have their functioning economy, we can have real interplanetary trade, planets wont lose new people due to it being completely dead, pilots can go back to fighting with each other, etc etc.

We do not need to create a whole new system where this monster Privateer enters the planet and lands. Can you imagine the lag? ...and for what? What does it accomplish? Nothing.

Last edited:
Cargo containers. Good idea. Let's think about this a little more. I actually like where its going.:yay:

The bottom line here is that being able to land a privateer in a hangar changes nothing.

What we need right now is a way in which these various planets can have a functioning economy, where commerce can happen, WITHOUT first getting a critical mass of players to support it.

People join these planets, have a look around, and then go to Calypso where all the action is. Because that keeps happening, what incentive do planet partners have to attract new players? Player retention is hard enough in any video game but for the Planet Partners, they also have to contend with players going over to Calypso and not coming back.

Taming, the Moon, hangars and all this other stuff isn't going to correct the path of certain planets atm.

We can endlessly discuss features, storyline, loot, and various things all day long but the bottom line with EU is the Real Cash Economy. As it is now, the RCE outside of Calypso is not functioning as it should.

If there were a way to buy and sell what's needed on an underdeveloped planet, then more positive things could start to happen more quickly.

The only issue with the cargo container is lootable space.

If the containers are lootable what's to stop an owner of a ship from collecting them and allowing their ship to be destroyed. We've already got a thread where a ship owner is doing this when calling unsuspecting passengers and then flying into pvp.

I think sometimes MindArk should listen to what players want. What is high on MindArks agenda isnt always high on players agenda.

We want our hangars functional
We want Taming back
We want Beauty back
We want the avatar babbling speech and the ability to lay down

We don't care about Avatars being updated
We don't care about islands
We don't want to see anything new until the Hangars, Taming, Beauty and basic Avatar features are returned.

And to rebuild all the old cities, just look at Minopolis look like a joke. Not to forget all the special places that existed around the planet ......

We want back the atmosphere on the planet.

The only issue with the cargo container is lootable space.

If the containers are lootable what's to stop an owner of a ship from collecting them and allowing their ship to be destroyed. We've already got a thread where a ship owner is doing this when calling unsuspecting passengers and then flying into pvp.

As I said.. safe way to move items between planets. Not lootable.

And to rebuild all the old cities, just look at Minopolis look like a joke. Not to forget all the special places that existed around the planet ......

We want back the atmosphere on the planet.

I think MA should focus on functional improvements only. Not cosmetic.

still no news ma
how long its going to take ?

still no news ma
how long its going to take ?

its only in the 4th post down on this very thread.....

There are currently no plans in place to develop the hangars.

They are gone, done, kaput. They are now just graphical fluff.

If you would like some value out of them, you could say they are very poorly implemented shops. Which sadly would hold far more potential for some sort of return, than as an actual space hanger.

They are gone, done, kaput. They are now just graphical fluff.

I agree. I highly doubt hangars will have a place within the development pipeline for the next year at least, if ever. However, MA & PPs continuously contradict their own statements regarding Hangars not being in the development pipeline when they release preview/promotional videos and graphics that show motherships or privateers flying planet-side and landing in hangars.

Mindark and Planet Partners are very careful to maintain "balance" with regard to TT-in to the loot system versus TT-out of it, as well as the scarcity and market value of various items. Where they fail at maintaining balance is with public statements or graphical releases that imply future changes are forthcoming when they in fact may not be. There are countless examples.

In-game we have a quasi-free market in regard to the value of items, specifically unlimited items already in circulation. At the moment, hangar bays are at an all time low in value because they were detached from the function of a privateer and that high market value has transferred to the privateer itself. Now, like land area sheds, apartments, and houses, hangars have no functional value and no way to earn money in game. Now its the privateer that adds function to the game as well as a way to earn money.

So, when we see videos and graphics that include privateers and motherships flying around the planet, people speculate that hangars in the near future will have a real functional value and that having one will result in a way to earn money. When that happens the value goes up because there is a limited quantity available and there is an increase in the amount of people who are willing to purchase hangars. More attention needs to be paid to balancing demand which is done by being mindful of implied promises and delivering on ones that have already been made.

If MA needs an idea on how to add function to hangars, here is one: Create a new class of sub-warp space craft, something between a quad-wing and privateer in size and firepower. Require it to be assembled in a hangar using various parts both looted and crafted. It would need to be something that can be used to hunt and mine in space, and something that a lot of people will want to own, make it affordable enough for the majority of players, but more expensive than a quad-wing. Make the craft itself with various versions and abilities that are (L) and unlimited and create various mounted parts (weapons & tools) that decay and are also (L) and unlimited. Then require the space craft to land in a hangar when planet side or dock with a space station while in space in order to change parts or unload resources and looted items. When the craft lands in a hangar on the planet, that hangar owner will be able to charge a fee, which they set by using an option at their estate terminal. Allow multiple of these craft to be able to land in a single hangar at a time and then hangar owners can compete for who has the cheapest docking fees.

By requiring the new craft to be assembled in a hangar using crafted and looted parts, you are encouraging the hangar owner to run their PEDs through the economics of the loot system while also giving them the opportunity to create something that they can sell, for a profit. Also by allowing them the opportunity to charge a small docking fee they have the ability to earn a residual income with the hangar. Furthermore, they could use shopkeepers in their hangar to sell various needed parts for the craft to people that land there. Doing all of that will significantly increase the demand and value of hangars for the long term and those who have placed their faith in MA will be rewarded... and they should be.

Last edited:
Back