• Yes, since the beginning

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Yes, in VU 10

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • No, never

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Not anymore

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • They've changed it, please explain further.

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saphira Lucky

Old Alpha
Society
Prestige
Saphira Amethyst Star
I know it's been discussed many times before but I still want to hear your thoughts about the loot-pool since the many changes in VU 10. Do you still believe in a loot-pool or do you think MA are distributing the loot (HOFs and globals) themselves? Or is there other ways that we've not thought of?

Some may say I'm naive, but I do beleive in loot-pool :rolleyes: At least when we're talking about mining. When I'm having really bad returns I know that system is saving peds for a bigger hit (6k ped or above) and so far I was never wrong. Another thing is that I never was the lucky guy that had hit the jackpot, but this belief at least helps me to keep on mining when I'm getting screwed - if I thought that loot is more avatar-based, I'd stop mining immediatelly when the hit rate and claim sizes were terrible.

I believe that the TT is an invisible avatar. The TT holds all items that are not owned by anyone else. Furthermore, the TT has an infinite quantity of TT-items available.

The balancing manager defines the overall available number of units per item and therefore also decides which items the TT holds. If the balancing manager says one day that e.g. there are only five Pixie Arms (M) available in EU, the TT has a negative quantity set to maybe -1,000. If people TT Pixie Arms (M), that number is decreased until it reaches 0 at one point. The next Pixie Arm (M) returned will be ready to be looted again.

Now, if you kill, mine, craft, ... something, the looting algorithm may grab something out of the TT. However, this is only valid for stuff at the end of the production chain. E.g. enmatter and ores have different levels of availability. I mean it wouldn't work to buy all available Lysterium stones and ingots. ;)

Feel free to call that a loot-pool or not ;).

Well, lootpool is just a word we use to decribe it, but ofc there has to b a buffering system of some sort. The hofs don't come out of thin air, they have to come from somewhere and i guarantee u it's not marco's bank account lol.
If there was no such system in place MA would run a risk of going bankrupt fast if a bug in the system suddenly drops more then they take in.

I should add, there's neither a need for a manual loot pusher, nor is it a feasible solution. Wages in europe aren't cheap and they aren't about to have someone on staff 24hrs a day for something that is easily automated.

I know it's been discussed many times before but I still want to hear your thoughts about the loot-pool since the many changes in VU 10. Do you still believe in a loot-pool or do you think MA are distributing the loot (HOFs and globals) themselves? Or is there other ways that we've not thought of?

A: Define Loot-pool. It means many things to many people, and unless we know what it means to you it is impossible to answer.

B: As for the bolded part - that is the definition of tin-foil hattery.

I am agnostic when it come to loot. It happens regardless of what I believe. The only thing I feel certain of is that there is nothing manual about it.

Personally, I see no changes in the loot system since I started playing pre-VU9.

:beerchug:

Miles

I did an event last weekend. At the start, the loot was complete crap. As all the people in the event killed more and more creatures it gradually got better.

I think it's a definite possibility that there are loot pools. It would make sense and be an easy way for MA to make sure they aren't losing money.

In addition to any "pool" I believe loot is avatar based. I believe MA "tags" certain avatars to either win big, win sometimes, or win never. And they can change it at will.

I believe in the lootpool in the purely statistical sense.
In the sense that MA can't pay out more then the TT cost of any equipment/ammo/materials/etc used by the participants, minus their cut.
I don't believe in "personal lootpools" though, since that feels like a needless complication of the system that just makes it harder to make fun, challenging, and fair.

Though it seems there is almost as many definitions of "lootpool" as there is people talking about it :scratch2:

So I choose to not vote.

I dont belive there is a loot pool. What i think is that the system know's how much it can possibly pay out as a max, then this sum is dribbled down to each spawn and mob type etc

loot pool = newb talk

I dont belive there is a loot pool. What i think is that the system know's how much it can possibly pay out as a max, then this sum is dribbled down to each spawn and mob type etc

Isn't that kind of the same thing as a loot pool?

no not really, it's a bit hard for me to explain it exactly but well no it's not a pool of loot sort of. uum bah dunno how to explain it lol

What the he*l do people even mean by 'loot pool'?!?!?!

What the he*l do people even mean by 'loot pool'?!?!?!

Like a swimming pool, but made of loot.... :)

and at certain times, it breaks and all of it is let loose, so some lucky guy claims his ATH/UBER or similar...

I believe that if one guy TT an item, it will be put in a loot pool.

Remember the person who was tiering an ML-35 I believe?

The secondary item was destroyed, two days later some lucky guy looted an ML-35 of an hogglo IIRC.

That's a loot pool to me. Fixed amount of items, if one goes away... A new one will appear somewhere. :) :eyecrazy:

no not really, it's a bit hard for me to explain it exactly but well no it's not a pool of loot sort of. uum bah dunno how to explain it lol

The idea you're thinking about is more less the same as the mysterious concept of a "loot pool". At least I think this way.

I believe in a loot pool.

As I already said in other threads, its possible that there are many different loot pools (f.e. 1 pool for every mob, 1 pool for every mining area, 1 pool for every BP, 1 pool for every player).

It doesn´t matter how many pools we have there, the truth is that there have to be at least one loot pool, where all the decay has to be added together. This will be reduced by MAs share, and whats left is the maximum someone may loot.

This is the only logical way for MA to avoid the risk of losing money.
Loot can´t be random, it must come out of a pool, otherwise MA would take a big risk to go bankrupt by incredible high random loots that are not already paid by decay.

Think my vote is clear: I believe in loot pool from the begining!

I think there is a "loot pool" in the way that it build up a value by what
players has spent, and then it pays out at top 80% of that value.
There is always a buffer/security value so system never can be drained.

yep thats the loot pool I always thought of. It explains why so many people start having poor loot around the time of ath's and big hof's.

It also explains the results from the poll in ahh-depositors

DEFINE "LOOT POOL" !!!
other wise the poll and debate is utterly pointless.

as perfectly illustrated by:
Originally Posted by Svenn View Post

this explains why there must be a loot pool at some level:
Loot can´t be random, it must come out of a pool, otherwise MA would take a big risk to go bankrupt by incredible high random loots that are not already paid by decay.

but are there pools for personal, mob, area, time of day, warants hof fund, noob hof fund... thats what the question is about isnt it?

but are there pools for personal, mob, area, time of day, warants hof fund, noob hof fund... thats what the question is about isnt it?

Well only MA could tell us :)

I think there is a "loot pool" and I think it can be negative too. It is basically just the sum of all expenses (ammo, decay, whatever money goes in here) minus payed out loots. This loot pool will determine a loot multiplier. When the loot pool is positive, the loot multiplier will (slowly) increase, when the loot pool is negative, the loot multiplier will (slowly) decrease. The loot multiplier decides the value of every single loot you get.

This will result in an unexploitable system that does not require any maintenance.

I don´t think that MA allows the pool to become negativ, although your method is save, too.

there must be a loot pool

Not really. If there's a period, when 3 players get 0.3 times of the cost of the kill (systemwise, not meaning true cost for the player. player sees it as dmg inflicted) as loot, there can be a period when 1 player could get 0.9 times cost of the kill back. Period, like uhm measured in seconds? Nope. Period measured in tt. In other words cost of the kill moves the system from period from one to another. Outcome: playerbase can't, in any chance, withdraw more peds that are deposited.

"What's not players', is MindArks."

Last edited:
Like a swimming pool, but made of loot.... :)

and at certain times, it breaks and all of it is let loose, so some lucky guy claims his ATH/UBER or similar...

I believe that if one guy TT an item, it will be put in a loot pool.

Remember the person who was tiering an ML-35 I believe?

The secondary item was destroyed, two days later some lucky guy looted an ML-35 of an hogglo IIRC.

That's a loot pool to me. Fixed amount of items, if one goes away... A new one will appear somewhere. :) :eyecrazy:

I have to agree.. it's a way for MA to keep the items within the system without adding any new ones.

I have to agree.. it's a way for MA to keep the items within the system without adding any new ones.

You should update your OP to specify if you mean TT loot-pool in financial terms or if you are merely referring to the items/resource loot-pool which is managed by the system to both keep the economy flowing and manage a balance between what is available to the playerbase item wise and when (Both UnL & L dropped items)

If TT in terms of finance then no, a common shared loot-pool "for all decay" does not exist as it suggests gambling - ie. sharing of your own funds with others in the form of a lottery is gambling by definition.

Personal TT lootpool yes, this is simply the accounting core buffering (accounting) for funds stored to be returned in the form of markupable loot depending on whatever criteria you have contributed to the flow within the economy. (Possible examples: Taxed land, markup paided out, yadda)

Loot pool in terms of items and resources is the BASE departments area for maintaining a balance of a healthy and competitive economy as to distribution and uptake (use/decay).

As you can see in terms of assessing gambling, the OP is very vague when referencing to loot-pool in general.

Any gifts I would refer to as spanners in the works, yes they do occur - eg. Newbie HoF/ATHs

Additional money added to the system from Massive Corp advertising, short term investment portfolio earnings (token profit distribution) would either be handled by the accounting core based on per-capita participation in one form or another (Possible examples: TT spend, time online, yadda) or be allocated out "occassionally" (so as not to be defined as a lottery) as gifts as mentioned above or a combination of both these two mechanisms.

There is also the "potential" of mechanisms such as this:

LINK > Another potential distribution mechanism

Which would be classified as a re-distribution of part of MindArk/Partner revenue back into the virtual world environment as gifts.

This would be a very tiny amount of the calculated return % taken and if it does exist would explain the existence of "hot" activities (Hot mobs, hot items to craft, yadd at any point in time).

It is also where the trackers are able to make statistical based predictions on what activities are "potentially" returning well based on trend analysis - Overall focus from participants within a recent past timeframe.

Those who are non-depositors and are consistent with their activities would ride such a mechanism (playing smart) to continue their activity as non-depositors.

Leeloo also has a thread response from MA which provides partial insight into the system.

LINK > LOOT

Last edited:
Confusion all over :)

When I mention "loot pool" I don't mean there is some counter keeping track of what people have spent and making regular payouts.
Its just a "side effect" of the loot being generated by a randomized/random-looking function that in average (for all participants) pay out ~90% of the TT value spent.

Maybe I should just stop using the word though, because it seems it generates all kinds of strange associations and ideas about consequences when it in my mind is pretty simple and nothing weird and just a statistical necessity.

Back