MindArk copying EVE Online?

Everything is copied to some extent and at some point, I found eu while searching and hoping to find a world of war craft like game based on the old role playing game Traveller. It was a d&d style game based in the far future. And well, guess what, it had a skill system and equipment style VERY similar to what eu has now. It really wouldn't suprise me to find out the original creaters of eu/pe used to play traveler, it's seriously that similar

As to the cruiser art work, it's very similar to most capital ships, calimari cruiser from star wars, the nostromo from aliens, etc

Well, a sci-fi themed MMO that has some basic travelling beyond their planet (asteriod, crystal palace also don`t forget story line - space battles with robots, Exodus space station etc., etc.) is bound to get an update that introduces more options in space travel...

You have so much of everything these days, that it is hard to think of something new. Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1cGiEw5yLo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzdj_VKpKTk

sleipnir? meaning 8 legged horse that wouldn't really fit with a flying vehicle in my personal opinion. (also these are names of ships in EVE long before vehicles were introduced here)
Comments?

Sleipnir is indeed a 8 legged horse from the old scandinavian pagan beliefes. The vikings belived in gods like Thor, Loke, Odin etc. Many of the vehicles have ties to this belief. Take for example one of the first vehicles, the Saehrimnir is. Saerimner was a pig that lived in Valhalla. The vehicle is an replica of the swedish armys MPV, and that one is in swedish forces called "galten", the Hog. So Saerimner being a pig is a good name for what in real world is called a hog.

Back to Sleipnir, or as we call him here in Sweden, Sleipner. He was a horse, Odins(Oden in Swedish) horse and he was the fastest ever and could travel on land, skye and seas. So Sleipner the horse with eight legs and also able to fly is a good name for a VTOL and fits fine with all the other names and has IMO nothing to do with EVE.

Sadly they did copy a bit some design and name , when there is tons of functionality that eve have and EU(or what is name of that things now)still miss a lot..

- good avatar creation (make trial acount and try it , it worth the test really...look on the net there contest of avatar creation in eve... people play to make famous actor face , its photo realy , creazy).

- complette wallet ( you can see all what you did buy , sell , where to who , amount , price... all info about everything)

- complette soc management with shared item...

- complette message system , you send mail to other player , receive mail , instant message , direct chat,all can be loged... plus creation de chat chanel... there is chanel for every kind of people(pvp , miner..) or help in all language + soc chanel... eve count something like 4 000 chanel...)

- in game internet browser , looks for data about weapon , guide...+ you can put link in chat , with image...

- in game jukebox to play your music.

- very nice and complete setting for whole game... you can use skin for in game windows... control transparence , mose speed , many effect ...

What is missing in eve is : walking avatar on ground but thats what they are updating now , and real cash economie( but they make way to buy month fee with IG money)...
The big bad stuff in eve for me is skill system...

Would be nice that MA/FPC/SDS/... watch a lot more EVE...

If MA would copy parts of EVE it would be a great benefit for us. EVE is so much better in many fields...
My dream always was a merging of EVE and MA. Both seem to take steps into the direction (EVE gets Avatars, MA gets Spaceships). But when you compare what EVE already did with the Avatars you'll see that EVE is at least 3 to 4 years in advance to MA. And if you compare the amount of developers (EVE has over 130, MA over 20) you'll see that the gap will get bigger the more time goes by. See yourself and just try the character generator of EVE...

What is missing in eve is : walking avatar on ground but thats what they are updating now

CCP have been promising that for as long as Entropia promised vehicles though. Difference being, we got our vehicles. :)

Agree with the nice features that Eve has that we dont, especially offline messaging - would be very useful.

Avatar creation just creates a picture though until they implement avatars, until then you are a spaceship.

They ALL copy Star Trek so Nyeh!

I'll worry about that if we get the Star Trek Federation "disc" ships :laugh:

I wonder if we will finally see the EBN space station?? :scratch2:

Ahh there is going to be a riot with people looking to see Sayah King! :eyecrazy:

- good avatar creation (make trial acount and try it , it worth the test really...look on the net there contest of avatar creation in eve... people play to make famous actor face , its photo realy , creazy).

I tried making a trial account there, after countless errors with the account and the trial game download and no help at all from support (actually, they NEVER contacted me back) I said fuck it and went back here.

I tried making a trial account there, after countless errors with the account and the trial game download and no help at all from support (actually, they NEVER contacted me back) I said fuck it and went back here.

Must have been a one off, ccp have a reputation for good support and i've experienced it. also for downloading try doing it through steam, much easier.

Something else I hope MA/SDS copy from EVE is developer interaction. You see the developers at EVE actively participate in forum discussions and make several facebook posts a day. As for calypso, they posted on their facebook page about once a week for four months and then haven't touched it since before last christmas.

Things that I don't want to see in space:

-Flat space (mentioned in another thread)
-Point and click (the way it is in EVE, i cannot express how much I dislike that)
-That it starts with a price of thousands of PEDs :lolup:

Also I hope that we can go into 1st person while driving the space ship, that would be killer.

Must have been a one off, ccp have a reputation for good support and i've experienced it. also for downloading try doing it through steam, much easier.

Something else I hope MA/SDS copy from EVE is developer interaction. You see the developers at EVE actively participate in forum discussions and make several facebook posts a day. As for calypso, they posted on their facebook page about once a week for four months and then haven't touched it since before last christmas.

MA already did this at EF. Kim (part of the development team of MA) is really answering as many questions as he can and active everyday . If you were referring to PPs, then I can see your point.

Things that I don't want to see in space:

-Flat space (mentioned in another thread)
-Point and click (the way it is in EVE, i cannot express how much I dislike that)
-That it starts with a price of thousands of PEDs :lolup:

Also I hope that we can go into 1st person while driving the space ship, that would be killer.

At least about the price of thousands of PEDs I think you can put your mind at ease. It won't be that cheap.

:silly:

At least about the price of thousands of PEDs I think you can put your mind at ease. It won't be that cheap.

:silly:

:lolup: hopefully it will go down just like vehicles did. (seriously, gugnirs full TT for 190 PED? Took one month to go from 300 to 200, let alone what the initial price was)

It's said, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Last edited:
CCP have been promising that for as long as Entropia promised vehicles though. Difference being, we got our vehicles. :)

not really , MA was speaking about vehicle way before eve exist :)

about avatar walking , what they say lest time i checked is , the new avatar creation was to create good 3d avatar(still display as picture now) , but next big realise is walking avatar in station (there is rumor that its under testing right now in ccp server)...
so it seems it could be avable during 2012 ...

again i am not a fan of eve... i just log in in eve every 3 years to test game a bit...
but i am alway astoned by the insane amount of feature and system to help player there...
from all the very nice tutorial , to the item stat , and all small funy stuff like juke box or skin for game...

Eu always had space with spaceships. So not a big surprise it wants to explain that a bit. This was raised in 2005 even. Ofc it looks like a clone of Eve but then again Eve themselfs are introducing planets where you can walk. So eve is cloning us then.

In short general ideas get taken over a lot. Achievements is now widely copied in every game look at Steam for example. Bullet time was first in matrix then in Max Payne and now almost every game has it .

So No it aint a eve clone.. far from it. Eve is a MMO on their own with no RCE to start with, and more indepth story line (as I am told)

Eve may not have a RCE but it does have PLEX which can be bought using ingame currency and extends the amount of time that you can play the game...

Come to think of it.... Yip PED does the same thing, it limits how long you can play the game. It may be the same thing in the end.

Eve may not have a RCE but it does have PLEX which can be bought using ingame currency and extends the amount of time that you can play the game...

Come to think of it.... Yip PED does the same thing, it limits how long you can play the game. It may be the same thing in the end.

Is there a limit how much real money you can cash out of EVE every month?

I can play without even a pec in EU.

If it's a joke then OK.

But EVE isn't RCE, R4tt3x mixed up warm and soft.

It's not a joke, I just wanted to demonstrate to R4tt3x the difference between EVE and EU. :girl:

It's not a joke, I just wanted to demonstrate to R4tt3x the difference between EVE and EU. :girl:

Well, actually like any popular MMORPG - it's RCE, but "dark" one, hehe.

MindArk is not copying EvE Online.

I play EvE. The idea put forth about space in EU is nothing like the gameplay of EvE.

This is a silly bandwagon.

not really , MA was speaking about vehicle way before eve exist :)

That is very unlikely, the two games were launched only 3 months apart. Infact i'm pretty sure you just made that up, first recorded plans of MindArk to impliment vehicles was something like 2004 or 2005.

That is very unlikely, the two games were launched only 3 months apart. Infact i'm pretty sure you just made that up, first recorded plans of MindArk to impliment vehicles was something like 2004 or 2005.

when i join EU , there was on some french forum a translate of some kind of interview with MA about what they will do in game...This intervieuw was made probably in beggin of betta or maybe evn before...In there , from what i remember they was speaking about apartement , vehicle , spaceship , food... job like food getherer or lunberjacking... there was even things like they plan to make clothe change to looks wet for some time when you get out of water , and that would even change how fast an avatar can run...
Back them , there was many many many plan ...
Where i probably mistake is launch date of eve... i thought eve got launched in 2004

Yeah its true the programming quality and the quality support that EVE has is just like Mindark :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: (I could only imagine just how AWESOME Calypso would look and work if EvE programers had designed it !) I have alot of respect for the creators of the EVE world.) It wouldnt surprise me one bit if MA tried to take ideas from other games for free after all they have been taking free ideas from the community for years because they couldnt come up with it on their own! :yup:

Yeah its true the programming quality and the quality support that EVE has is just like Mindark :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: (I could only imagine just how AWESOME Calypso would look and work if EvE programers had designed it !) I have alot of respect for the creators of the EVE world.) It wouldnt surprise me one bit if MA tried to take ideas from other games for free after all they have been taking free ideas from the community for years because they couldnt come up with it on their own! :yup:

LOL.

Doesn't the community want MA to listen to us and see what we want?:laugh:

Now it's a bit of a statement I know, one or two similarities is a coincidence... but a bunch just goes a little far. I think it's quite obvious that someone on the development team is a player of EVE.

Firstly vehicle names. Yes they're directly related to old language meanings for words and I passed this one off as a coincidence. But then it was more than one name. Naglfar is an old boat from legend so made sense.. but sleipnir? meaning 8 legged horse that wouldn't really fit with a flying vehicle in my personal opinion. (also these are names of ships in EVE long before vehicles were introduced here)

What led me to make this post wasn't any of this however (although it does make a point), but it was when I saw the artwork for the spaceship designs. http://www.entropiauniverse.com/media/images/ If the designs here don't scream similarity then I don't know what does. Even the new website has for the first time taken steps towards being more EVE styled.

Entropia used to be unique and I loved it for what it was, I just don't see that anymore.

Also to note, if MindArk keeps stepping closer to similarities with other games it could be dangerous ground for copyright infringement.

Comments?

Its not just EVE they are modding ideas from.. Everything that has been added since VU10 has been a spin off of some other game. I liked EU for being unique which is the main reason I started to play. Now it is just becoming a digital dumpster full of every trendy thing taken from other games. Its near the point now where I am trending more and more to go play a subscription game for far cheaper and far less aggrivation over the stupid shit that goes on here now. I can get the same gimmiky shit we have here at a cheaper cost all around. Hopefully Arkadia has done something to salvage some of EU's uniqueness.

Come to think about it, if MindArk should copy anything from EVE it should be the number of active players. Easily measurable through facebook fans (would guess approx a fith of a playerbase would be representative in facebook page likes).

EVE has over 100,000 fb likes whereas all the unique likes for entropia planets probably doesn't add up to more than 6000. (Quite surprised at how many more likes next island has compared to calypso. what a joke.)

Back