News: MindArk Signs Deal for Unreal Engine 5 - PRNewswire

If there's a definition of what a "Metaverse" is, that's it!
Mind you, it's practically a brand new game and sadly many of us will die before reaching the promised land :(

Don't be so optimistic, there are worse things.

If there's a definition of what a "Metaverse" is, that's it!
Mind you, it's practically a brand new game and sadly many of us will die before reaching the promised land :(

I agree - sad but true :(

While it's interesting to read this and some parts seem to be bloated, we still have to wait how it all will turn out. Note that this is some paper written as part of or before Pre-Alpha. This basically means that lots can change (and be removed) before the final release.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that this will be a step forward and won't lose the old-school players (again).

Just a reminder: Lotta hills/mountains = bad.

On the last game engine change, there was a LOT of hilly terrain which turned out to be VERY unpopular due to shortened distances for weapons, seeing, etc.
This forced a waste of your time in redesigning that which you already redesigned.
Try not to get stuck in that same trap please. View current high-activity locations and note their terrain.
Thanks.

Flatter = better.

Spotted some more assets that MA may want to consider when working on the burnt forest area where we used to queue up for small oil deposits

Following on from above. This chap seems to be doing great work on creating awesome beach assets and it sounds like they are pretty easy to use too. Not sure if that would be appropriate for MA but they do look stunning. I love how you can blend everything in with the landscape so well. No more rocks that look like they were just plonked there.

Those waves and water flow effects look amazing too.

Following on from above. This chap seems to be doing great work on creating awesome beach assets and it sounds like they are pretty easy to use too. Not sure if that would be appropriate for MA but they do look stunning. I love how you can blend everything in with the landscape so well. No more rocks that look like they were just plonked there.

Those waves and water flow effects look amazing too.

It all depends on the physics.

You can create stunning visuals but in a game they need to be practical.

Your avatar needs to be able to interact with them properly as do the mobs/etc.

It also introduces a lot of complexity for the physics engine which in turn leads to more computational power needed.

It all depends on the physics.

You can create stunning visuals but in a game they need to be practical.

It also introduces a lot of complexity for the physics engine which in turn leads to more computational power needed.
Hardware upgrade comes to mind. Meaning the servers, Network , Data cat 8 Legrand everything at Mindark PE. Fibre optic cabling also. Its gonna cost . If they pay me and for materials, I can do it all for them. Got the tools, certified, experienced, etc.

Hardware upgrade comes to mind. Meaning the servers, Network , Data cat 8 Legrand everything at Mindark PE. Fibre optic cabling also. Its gonna cost . If they pay me and for materials, I can do it all for them. Got the tools, certified, experienced, etc.
The servers are at an offsite facility, and I'm sure they have the capabilities there

Can't even post a printscreen from his computer on the forum. Offers to upgrade MA servers. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Can't even post a printscreen from his computer on the forum. Offers to upgrade MA servers. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
You'd need to speak to Neomaven/711 I think he still runs the forum on behalf of MA?

MA never had mobs interact with the landscape OR the players properly before.... so why break the habit of a life time? ;)

MA never had mobs interact with the landscape OR the players properly before.... so why break the habit of a life time? ;)

In the very beginning mobs were meant to have individual behaviors as prey and beasts of prey.
I can remember having seen Atrox attacking Faucervix around 2002 near one of the old Umbranoid camps or Atrox hunting Armax elsewhere.
The fights usually ended with a dead Faucervix, but the outcome of Atrox vs. Armax was less predictable.

But this got disabled quite fast, presumably because it ate too much computing power here or there.

In the very beginning mobs were meant to have individual behaviors as prey and beasts of prey.
I can remember having seen Atrox attacking Faucervix around 2002 near one of the old Umbranoid camps or Atrox hunting Armax elsewhere.
The fights usually ended with a dead Faucervix, but the outcome of Atrox vs. Armax was less predictable.

But this got disabled quite fast, presumably because it ate too much computing power here or there.

Wow! That's cool! I never knew they had that in the beta.

So.... here's some food for thought for MA if they fancy trying to bring something like this back again in an interesting way.... they could optimise it so the algorithm only runs when someone can see a mob (if a tree falls in a forest). Not quite sure if that would divide up ok though due to the interaction cascade but they could limit it to just the mobs a player can see (or rather within certain radius of player), make it so all mobs can only see other mobs the player can see and farm the processing down to the player's computer. Alternatively they could just throttle the speed to whatever is manageable depending on circumstances. Infinite possibilities to experiment with. : )

make it so all mobs can only see other mobs the player can see and farm the processing down to the player's computer.
They actually already do this!
All mob actions including regeneration are halted, when the last player leaves the mob's radar range.

All mob actions including regeneration are halted, when the last player leaves the mob's radar range.
I've seen instances where I've died halfway through a mob, come back and it's nearly full HP again...

No idea, if it is the same with instances...
:unsure:

Not instances specifically but instances of it happening... I've seen it happen before on planet.

This used to be the case, but not anymore.

Now as long as no player is in range, all regeneration will be halted. This means that if you were hunting a mob, ist at 2%, you die, it stops but if any other player as much as enters the radar range of seeing it, then it starts again. and stops when they leave again, vise versa.

I've had times where I died at a fairly low hp, in a dense place and thought fuck it not gonna bother. went to eat some food and what not and upon returning an hour later, the same mob was still at the low hp as when i left it.

So in the long time agos, they regened no matter, and if it was in newer times, another player has been close enough to trigger its regeneration. And if its a fast regening mob itll be full in no time at all that way.

This (and the responses) is really interesting!... and somehow slightly amusing (putting yourself in the mobs shoes I mean ^_^). It makes sense though, no sense in wasting resources moving mobs around or having them re-gen if no players about to witness it.

Another one MA might find interesting/helpful re their "animation problem". It's a bit "maths'y" but the key point is it talks of how to create meaningful parameters that can be used to dynamically adjust animation to be less accurate to the preset. Might be quite nice to see, say applied to some of the mobs depending on some state of the game, e.g. say health level, point in day night cycle, number of surrounding mobs etc. In essence anything that it might be reasonable to expect to have some impact on alertness, responsiveness and accuracy of movement. Sounds like there are typical values for robots but I bet it could be applied to the organic mobs too.

Of course I grant that animating mobs to actually move correctly in response to their environment (or at least vaguely so) would be the first order of the day before worrying about how to improve said movement :)

First preview of planet landings ,-) ,-) ,-)

Back