physical pain and EU

Hally

Still married
Society
Mine To Extract
Lately i found myself unable to play anykind of games involving the use of left arm, ive gotten somekind of injury in the arm resulting in a nerve getting jammed, and am now recieving treatment for it, even writing this text is a strain.

But somehow im still wanting to play, its totaly foolish and im physicaly unable, so guess its a sign of adiction and maybe my abscence is needed.

Anyone have similar experiences ?

hmm I have some trouble with my right index finger or how that finger is called in english that you use to push the right mouse button. However I get the feeling that it`s a mix of the scool work and gaming that causes it because in the hollidays it`s much better. I don`t have trouble to continue playing with the hand tho. After I let the hand relax for 3 days I hardly notice it anyway.Well the advice I would give is: Don`t take ANY pain killers to be able to do ANYTHING. The pain is there to show you that you have been gaming too much or used your arm too much for other things. Therefore accept it as a punishment and let it advise you how to avoid to get it again. :silly2: You shouldn`t do the things that cause you the pain that much in the future... :laugh:
If it doesn`t affect your RL too much I wouldn`t take a break from EU when the arm is ok... but then again I am allways close to being an addict myself so don`t bother too much with my advices.

It hurts I stop. I was playing HL2 the other day and got motion sickness so I stopped lol.

I've had a few ergonomic issues over the years due to being hunched over a drawing table, sitting at an easel for hours, and PC games/graphics/work. Overall you have to learn what works for you ergonomically and if you are hurt don't over do anything or you might really muck things up.

Give yourself time to heal EU will still be here unless they run it into the ground really fast.

Breaks are good and you will appreciate everything more once you feel better.

Ofc you could always autocraft it seems to take the minimal amount of clicking plus you can get up and move around if you start to hurt.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

Posted via Mobile Device

Try one of these

Logitech%20MX1000.jpg

Logitech MX1000

Sounds like RSI - see a doctor and stop using a PC for a while...then phase youself back in using ergonomically designed kit

Every once in a while threads like this come up. Plenty of people have had and spoke of computer related stress injuries, conditions, aches and pains. Many times the cause is simply repetitive stress. Doing the sma epositions and motions over and over. One of the best things you can do, after seeing a doctor and following any treatment of course, is as soon as any pain gets to a comfortable and manageable level start doing other activities involviing the body part in question. It will be good threapy restoring natural motion and position and help to strengthen all the surrounding tissues etc. This will help prevent future problems.

When my wrists used to bother me I found mega doses of B vitamins, namely B6 and B12 really helped too. And the sooner I started on them the less severe the episode would be in pain and duration. A big thing is to stay conscious of your activites like computer and always have it in mind that over use can and will make things flare up. That should help you from getting to the point of having it bother you. Moderation and variation!

For nearly a year I suffered from what was diagnosed as "localized compartment syndrome", that came on after a few too many WOF blasting sessions (too much repeated clicking with wrist and arm in same position). I switched to a laptop with a very sensitive "tapping pad", but it was the implementation of the auto-use tool from MA that was the best for me in dealing with the problem, so for that I commend them!

There are a wide variety of RSI problems though, so best see your doc. I thought mine was in the wrist, but turns out it was a trapped nerve inside a bundle of tendons & muscles in the forearm. Sadly (and this is why I tell people to stop for a week at first sign of "strange-ness") after using the computer for extended periods, the "ghostly" weakness and dull sensations still return, and likely will into the future I've been told.

funny since yesterday i also got tinteling feelings in my right arm.

doing exercises and take pauze in gameplay helps. also stress is a big factor (of winninf a wof or doing 10k fouls )

Lately i found myself unable to play anykind of games involving the use of left arm, ive gotten somekind of injury in the arm resulting in a nerve getting jammed, and am now recieving treatment for it, even writing this text is a strain.

But somehow im still wanting to play, its totaly foolish and im physicaly unable, so guess its a sign of adiction and maybe my abscence is needed.

Anyone have similar experiences ?

I severely injured my left hand several years ago and now have to wear a brace on it. I play this game every day with few problems and do it with a normal kb and scroll wheel mouse. Just map the keys you need to the right side of the kb. I use the keypad and editing keys for hunting/mining with all equipment i need on them. You can use your left hand sparingly if you really need to but I would suggest you don't use it at ALL for a while. The MX1000 is a good suggestion too :)

I also think you might need more breaks. Stand up and do shoulder exercises (rolling the shoulders forward and backward in a circle). These help with the strain placed on your arms.

Basically just take it easy for a while until your arm feels well enough and do most things with the right hand.

Yep i got rsi aswell, right arm though, and also my fingers feel kinda stiff from time to time. The "funny" thing is that i ONLY get it when i play EU, if i play any other game i dont get any pain.

i don't have any of this problems.. maybe i be a hardcore pc freak and all my body parts are trained for using in longterm on computers and gaming;)

If i have a finger stress about some high health mobs, then i just use autoclick, and relax my fingers a bit. It can helps.

Seriously ;D We need to go out and work out, do stuff, get some exercise. Lately as EU-gaming has sucked big time i have had some good times away from my computer, and i feel excellent physically, and mentally. I wonder if my addiction is gone now, finally ;D

Anyways, if you only sit behind your computer you should feel pain eventually.

<removed by author>

Last edited:
I get so incredibly thirsty from playing ... :lolup:

Anyway, it was worse when we could not autocraft! Just move your hand around and make sure you're sitting proberly on your chair too. Your arm and albove should be placed on the table. Evt. get one of these sillicon things to put under you hand (and here I do NOT think of breasts, though I'm sure that will ease the pain too ...)

;)
You can allways combine..:rolleyes:

And one of these too

000-3d-model-Microsoft_KB4000_01.jpg

Microsoft 4000 Natural Keyboard

What I'm useing since it was the only ergonomic keyboard I could find in Sweden when my Logitech broke :(

Felt some pain from click shooting but nothing lasting so I will get a good mouse too and not like the 20year old design I got now lol
(why cant equipment last forever but have to break at the worst moments...)

If one hand hurts, use the other :yay:.

Seriously now, i've been there, took a couple days of, and instead of clicking with my mouse buttons i just press on the keyboard for the mapped weapons. I got myself a nice mouse too, and my arms are now comfortably positioned and suported.

(and here I do NOT think of breasts, though I'm sure that will ease the pain too ...)

;)

lol well any chance we had of not thinking of breasts was dashed as soon as you said that :)

<removed by author>

Last edited:
since i do just a little sports every second day, all my pc-sicknesses have gotten way better if not vanished. The autoclicker helped a lot too, since it was introduced i havent had any Karpal tunnel syndromes anymore.

so this is my medicine:

-600m swimming and/or 3km jogging once a week

every second day i make 1-3 sets of these:

30 crunches for loins and sixpack

30 pulls each with a bar bell for arms, shoulders and breast muscles

thats not enough to get a He-Man body, but enough to fight muscle-atrophy and the resulting problems like nerve deafness, decubitus and such.

I studied 2 semesters of biophysiology of the central and peripheral nervous system and if you ask me there is no alternative to movement. No pills and no gamer-equipment can replace sports, as simple as that.

I am not a doctor , but I feel obligated to prescribe a method to relieve this discomfort.

Drink large quantities of alcohol.

As far as the Breast treatment that was prescribed earlier , I would not mix this with my prescribed alcohol treatment , unless you can assure you will end up in your own bed the next morning , alone.

Bones

get a new input device.... Wacom tablets are awesome for not feeling like a mouse. Some graphic cards with tv tuners from ati actually have a remote control that works like a mouse... if you are using a laptop, take it off of the table and try some other new position. If your mouse hand is your right and the left is what's bothering you, just don't type - go do something that requires as little manual effort as possible in game if you must be in game... try crafting with auto mode turned on to minimize having to type or use mouse much. If someone pms you in game, ignore them... Anyone know if the speech to text thing in Windows works with Entropia?!?!

Day after tomorrow i get my first real examination of the arm and treatment.

i dodnt know if anyone suggested this yet(didnt read all the posts) but i have close to the same problem(after the incident) and i am using the highly programmable mouse. It has 17(seventeen) programmable buttons + the wheel. Also buttons can be program to react to combinations(such as clicking 2 diff buttons would result in one action while clicking 2 other-som else). So that results in about 50 different programmable mouse actions. I programmed all the possible actions in PE to the mouse so the only time i use keyboard is for typing in chats.
The name of this wonder mouse is VisionTek XG6 but its actually rebranded Sandio 3D mouse. So if you buy VisionTek - dont use the included soft but go to sandio website and download the latest soft for sandio 3d mouse. Been using this mouse for PE(and everything else) for about 2.5 years now-best mouse i ever tried.

http://components.visiontek.com/xg6/xg6.html

http://www.sandiotech.com/

Preschribed treatment, dont play games, eat Ibuprofen, weekly treatments, and better excercise.

I play with a logitech game pad. It's way easier on the hands and arms.

I am not a doctor , but I feel obligated to prescribe a method to relieve this discomfort.

Drink large quantities of alcohol.

As far as the Breast treatment that was prescribed earlier , I would not mix this with my prescribed alcohol treatment , unless you can assure you will end up in your own bed the next morning , alone.

Bones

I recommend that. XoD

But good you catch it while it's still fix-able. If you let go too far (or are just screwed by genetics, as I am), there isn't much help anything can provide.

I had the beginning of RSI late last year and my right forearm was getting very painful, I found that I was playing without any support between my wrist and my elbow on the desk, placing a jumper under my forearm giving it support healed it completely. I still use it - more of a forearm support than a wrist rest.

My advice is watch how you are playing, posture, support for arms, your chair, maybe change of mouse. Things like that.

Taking a week off can be good, or reducing the length of gaming sessions can be good too. :)

Ive had issues with both my hands. About 2 years ago now is when it first started. Got bad for awhile, and even short game sessions were painful.

Its mainly in the 3 center fingers and wrist on the left hand, the ones i use for movement and actions in games, and the 2 right fingers and wrist.

While the cause is likely RSI(i never went to a doctor about it), i think another cause is the fact that i stand up all day at work, and awhile after it hurt i realize that i was constantly putting considerable pressure on either my fingers on hands while i stood to relieve weight off my back/feet. I was doing it all the time without realizing it. Enough that there is a callous on the top of the middle knuckle of my right index finger. Trying to figure out where that callous came from is what lead me to realize what i was doing to my hands at work.

Since then ive been a lot more conscious about that, and any time i find myself doing it at work i stop, and my hands have gotten better. I still get some pain when i game, but nothing like it was before. I'm also more conscious about my keyboard/mouse use. I often catch myself putting more pressure then i need on the keys or mouse when i have to hold them down and stop myself now, or adjust my fingers so i redistribute the weight when i have to hold them down for awhile. That helps too.

Back