Reflections from Landgrab 2009

Marco|SDS

Prowler
Original post: http://www.entropiagateway.com/2009/06/reflections-from-landgrab-2009/

--

The drama! The twists! The intrigue! The cloak-and-dagger conspiracies! The surprise! This year’s Landgrab is a historic turning point from my perspective. A crafty and well executed plan was organized which surprised most of us; including FPC I have to admit. The excitement this time around came from a completely different direction than previous years. The “mega-alliance” utilized the rules and found a strategy that worked. Even more, it brought in a very nice and evolved approach to the community as a whole – it introduced the basics of a working Calypso political system. It is history in the making and something I personally get really excited about. The colonists of Calypso joined together to work for a common goal. Unexpected, but very interesting. Congratulations to the winners!

On the other hand this is not what I really see as the essence of the Landgrab event. My take on Landgrab is that it is a showoff of firepower, tactics and strength of groups. A contest or even a “PvP Olympics” so to speak. We have analyzed the rules and we have some ideas to bring back the original battle-focused approach in the next Landgrab. Some ideas we have is to allocate societies beforehand to specific land areas, using a lottery mechanism, and have all battles transpire at the same time in order to keep people focused on the task at hand. Maybe it will be one-on-one or maybe three societies per land area will be allocated. We will also increase the value of the individual land areas by adding rare or unique DNA to it (and not have the DNA as a separate commodity).

Any suggestions or comments in general are of course valued. Until next Landgrab!

First! ;)

How about a LA or two that socs NOT in the top-50 can try to grab, and socs in the top-50 are NOT allowed to enter it. That'd be good fun for the rest of us ;D

Nice to see some comments from MA about the LG.
Once againg gratz to the winners this year.

what, like 50 top socs / x amount of land arias

stick them all in a hat and pull them out for each LA ...

sounds like foundations of a good plan to me :)

Good to hear you guys are really analyzing what happened. But to be honest i think the fighting of 2 or 3 socs for one land takes away the meaning of Landgrab. I'm 100% sure if the rules stay the same that next year we won't be having the same scenario as now, everybody is warned now.

Original post: http://www.entropiagateway.com/2009/06/reflections-from-landgrab-2009/

--

The drama! The twists! The intrigue! The cloak-and-dagger conspiracies! The surprise! This year’s Landgrab is a historic turning point from my perspective. A crafty and well executed plan was organized which surprised most of us; including FPC I have to admit. The excitement this time around came from a completely different direction than previous years. The “mega-alliance” utilized the rules and found a strategy that worked. Even more, it brought in a very nice and evolved approach to the community as a whole – it introduced the basics of a working Calypso political system. It is history in the making and something I personally get really excited about. The colonists of Calypso joined together to work for a common goal. Unexpected, but very interesting. Congratulations to the winners!

I hope those words can make people see what has been achieved :D
still no report on EF?:confused:

--

The drama! The twists! The intrigue! The cloak-and-dagger conspiracies! The surprise! This year’s Landgrab is a historic turning point from my perspective. A crafty and well executed plan was organized which surprised most of us;

i love that part. It certainly was a surprise and nice to see you are "impressed" by this audacious move.

Also nice to see you have a plan to introduce politics at some time.

For future landgrabs it would be nice to see some leeway allowed for alliances to form. Gives lesser societies to compete with the bigger/uber ones.

A comment on this years L/G from FPC ...... great.
Looks as though L/G will continue ..... but not as we know it, not a great surprise!!!

Rookie...

Sure you couldn't post bad about mega alliance :)

But i see you did not really liked that :)

Well my idea is there ... might helpfull .... link

Thanks for the timely feedback, Marco. I think it is important to keep LG a bit more open-ended than what you propose, but something in between would be good. I think Superkanjo is right, and even heard members of the alliance say the same thing--next year will be different, regardless of rule changes.

Cue conspiracy theories about Warants and FPC.

Last edited:
Can't say I didn't see this coming. Look, Marco. The players even helped with the foundation of the player run government you talked about last year some time.

well it did show off the tactics and strength of groups... big groups.

having all LAs up for grab at once will be good, but i think though that allocating lands will go right against the theme. get a mis-match and its effectivly gifting the LA to the stronger soc without any fight (so no different); or freindly soc could arrange to carve up the LA without fighting, then go off to support friends on other LA (er, so no different either). surely you wouldnt impose limits on socs entering others LA for participation or spectating?

why not remove rules instead of adding them, get back to the basics? let the players decide who wins.

Interesting comments, Marco.

However, if you implement the rule changes you outline, that will also hinder the growth of inter-society cooperation. Alliances like the one formed for this landgrab will be vital for the player communty if they are fostered rather than shunned.

If you're hell-bent on the "king of the hill" model of land grab, then give the community something else that will allow societies to learn to trust, cooperate, and together forge a unique civilization on Calypso.

AG

Warants whines, MA listens.

Oh come, enough is enough, lots of people whined including myself

And it is blatantly obvious from phase 1 this was not in the spirit of LG

Please get over it

Rgds

Ace

Nice to hear MA liked the Alliance :)

As said in previous threads I think we overestimated the opposing forces and the alliance became something more then just a backup plan to help eachother out. It was like killing mosquito's with nuclear bombs so it killed the fun abit.

But well I hope next year will bring new challanges and rules so we all can find out new ways to deal with the task at hand, im already excited.

Thx for the nice server performance on Phase 2 and 3 (although 3 was mostly chatting ).

Please get over it

Rgds

Ace

Lots of other people whined who had no business whining. I did not spend tens of thousands of peds to entertain others. The purpose of land grab was to win land. If MA and others want us to be gladiators for their entertainment, then how about paying for our training and gear?

The show of firepower was there, we came ready to war..

Unfortunately the enemy was not...

That was more the problem. What your proposing is an Intersoc pK tournament - not a Global LandGrab.

Still looks like we have a while till the next one - good luck on working out the solution :)

We have analyzed the rules and we have some ideas to bring back the original battle-focused approach in the next Landgrab.
yes please... this LG was just... boring.

gz to the "winners".

Unfortunately the enemy was not...

are you kidding?
Just because we didn`t pay 10k/avatar in equipt can`t mean that we are not rdy for LG.

Ooops.. forgot this in my last post.

PS: Landgrab, like Entropia, is dynamic.

Some times history seems to come again, and again, and again..

--

On the other hand this is not what I really see as the essence of the Landgrab event. My take on Landgrab is that it is a showoff of firepower, tactics and strength of groups. A contest or even a “PvP Olympics” so to speak. We have analyzed the rules and we have some ideas to bring back the original battle-focused approach in the next Landgrab. Some ideas we have is to allocate societies beforehand to specific land areas, using a lottery mechanism, and have all battles transpire at the same time in order to keep people focused on the task at hand. Maybe it will be one-on-one or maybe three societies per land area will be allocated. We will also increase the value of the individual land areas by adding rare or unique DNA to it (and not have the DNA as a separate commodity).

Any suggestions or comments in general are of course valued. Until next Landgrab!

For 1,000's of years the following applied:

Those with the best toys won. Simple if you had a stone axe and I had a copper axe, you died. For 1,000's of years, the 'nobles' ran all and the rest just had to follow.

But, then something wonderful happen, "Thanks' Nap", a group of people figured out that numbers counted. A nation rose up and for a number of years kicked 'noble ass'. After a bit, the noble's copied the ways and means of the 'crazy alliance' and of course won, they ganged the group that came up with the idea.

In other words, yep, on your horse with all your armour on, you are a massive warrior, but one poor serf, with a gun, put a hole in your head, and your armour is worthless. And that is what happen with this LG...

Now, with the 'congrats' to the winners but we don't like the outcome..LOL

Ok, MA and her clones are god..that is understood. Its their world and they are GOD...they can make rules, changes, rules, do what they wish...

I just wonder where their minds are, in the 1200's or today? Sure, they can fix the rules to be sure that Warrents or the very lowest society in the game can win...but, and a BIG BUT,

Why would I or anyone else want to play in that world? "We dont' like the outcome and will change to ....?"

What? A set of rules that the 'nobles' will always win?

Sorry, if that happens, lol, will i'll ......no clue...

But something does not smell right in Denmark...(Yep, i know MA is not in Denmark)

But began building a civilization. :)

marco's neutrality is legendary !!

One part for alliance

One part for Warants

so we can keep firing and u stay neutral:) gratz

Good to see MA respond and comment on both sides of the story, the pro's and con's of what happened.

I think the possibility of drawing to compete for land and it being 2 or 3 societies at a time is open for conspiracy theory and reverting back to a certain big skill + mod gear = certain win.

I posted some suggestions here but I think it would be a shame to rule out the possibility of alliances as its the only (and free way) to balance the gap between high skill/mod fap and your regular player.

Think of a way to make alliances less effective is best, a simple solution to this is spread the contested areas out more so movement between them is slower or have a TP chip delay when jumping into the area. In other words if you can slow movement down help might just arrive too late.

I hope you have a look at the suggestions thread and im certain if you included some of the suggestions I have listed it would be non-stop shooting and a real exciting event.

So the spirit of the LG is that some suckers invest shitload of time and IRL money into developing their avatar to the point of creating groups (a.k.a. societies) able to enlist in a top 10-20-30 whatever total skillwise, so they can enter LandGrab, where they must invest even more IRL money into decay and ammo to win some Land Areas which more than probably wouldn't even pay through taxes the expenses of LG, and all this

to please Ace Flyster.

Did I got it right?

i would like to see some cooperation and alliances forming makes it more fun and adds an interesting dimension.

So you could have a rule which allows for alliances albeit limited to say 2 only. The problem your going to have is in "policing" the landgrab. If you say no alliances are allowed people have other ways of communicating and what is to stop someone flaunting the rules. It will be the honest people in a society that follow the rules that would be penalised. Do you really want that? The cat is out of the bag and now that we have seen how effective alliances can be it is only natural for socities to form alliances. Your rules may well state no alliances are allowed but all that would do is drive the practice of using alliances underground i.e. via covert means. Which is not good for anyone.

So allowing alliances say upto 2 would be good compromise in my opinion. To police it you may need to imbed a judge in each soc/team. The judge could be an MA official or perhaps volunteers from the EU community.

- Strict rules is not the way forward imho
- Relaxed natural gameplay would be better, something that naturally allows for alliances and action "PVP olympics".

Anyway something to ponder over.

Heres your first report from LG2010.....

Waves of RX units infiltrate and cause LG Chaos

Its already crossed your mind Marco dont deny it :silly2:

Back