Share a totally useless fact that you know..

22,000 checks will be deducted from the wrong bank accounts in the next hour.

:eek:
Sucka's!
:laugh:

The immortal (sic) phrase "so long, suckers!" was first uttered in a movie by Jodie Foster. The movie is "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore".

Commercial aircraft can suffer complete engine failure at alititude and still glide for a considerably long time and land safe(ish)ly... (okay maybe land dangerously... but whatever)

I call bs on this one. A prop place can, but not a jet. Todays jets are flying bricks, atleast according to my instructor... I've never flown anything bigger than a Cherokee Archer 150.

Unknown Fact: An international wire transfer can be processed in under 5 minutes.

Okies...I got a fun one for ya...
BUT...dont hurt yourselves trying to prove it false, :laugh:

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver and purple.

The term googol=10^100
Googolplex=10^(10^100)
Or 10^10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
To give a scope of how big a googol is, If you entirely typed out a googol on paper unsimplified @ 5000 characters per page (arial 12pt font with small margins), (10000 for both sides). a standard ream is approximately 5cm thick, there fore two reams is 10cm thick of paper.
So the paper stack you could make with a googol of numbers would be
10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000km high
This is equivalent to slightly over 10^75 light years worth of paper.
A standard A4 piece of paper is 297x210 cm. This means 320 reams can fit in a cubic metre or 6.25*10^90 cubic metres of paper, 6.25*10^81 cubic km.
The volume of the earth is only 1.1*10^11 cubic km. Meaning 5*10^70 earths worth of a4 paper filled with zeros. The volume corresponds to 4*10^66 suns, or 4*10^15 Milky Way galaxies (bearing in mind, the MW galaxy is a BIG one).

In short

If you took this:
local_supercluster-ly.jpg

and filled it 1000 times over with paper with numbers on it, and counted the numbers, you would get a googol.

Unknown Fact: An international wire transfer can be processed in under 5 minutes.

Yet my bank tells me transfer take at least twentyfour hours :rolleyes: I would say it's slocser to five seconds :)

Okies...I got a fun one for ya...
BUT...dont hurt yourselves trying to prove it false, :laugh:

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver and purple.
Millionth.... blancmange.... Da silva....curpel :scratch2:

The removal of Concorde from the air was one of the few examples of technology going backwards; we will be able to tell our children of a time you could get across the Atlantic faster than they can; because the internet has made expensive super-sonic flight too much of a luxury to make another plane as fast as Concorde was.

Read that in a Jeremy Clarkson book, but it's good quality Useless Fact if you ask me.

Oh, and a Jumbo is more economical than a Ford Fiesta if you divide the Mpg by the passengers.

Hurrikane

8. A sneeze can travel at speeds of 200 miles per hour. If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die. If your eyes are kept open by force, they can pop out.

11. If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

13. An owl's "hoot" and a duck's "quack" don't echo, and no one knows why.

Reading this post, I am sure most folks believed all of this :)..

These 3 I knew right away were false. I'm sure the others are either 100% false, or partly false.....

#8 False.. http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/sneeze.asp

#11 False.. http://www.snopes.com/legal/et.asp

#13 False.. http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/duckecho.asp

if a chicken lookes up when its raining it will drown.:wtg: :scratch2: ;)
This is fun....:yay:

sweaterdresses is the longest word that can be typed with letters from the left hand side of a keyboard

Facetious is the shortest word with all the vowels in the right order (AEIOU), while Sequoia is the shortest word with all 5 in any order....

Also, there is a sentence that cannot be written, only spoken.

It goes like this; "there are three two's in the English language"... it's saying there is "to", "too", and "two", but you can only speak it and refer to all three by their sound; written down it is saying there are three of one type.

Useless.

Hurrikane

Facetious is the shortest word with all the vowels in the right order (AEIOU), while Sequoia is the shortest word with all 5 in any order....

Which reminds me the name of medieval musical instrument containing no vowels: Crwth.

Pi (the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter) is....

And so on :wise:

It is a known fact that the PI ratio is not a perfect way to calculate a circle, but that it even differs in correctness between circle diameters.

Never trust a man, who, when left in a room with a tea-cozy, doesn't try it on!

Government

Govern - control

Ment - Mind.

Or another way of looking at it is:

govern - control

Ment from Menge, from Meine = A family, including servants...

most usefull fact atm:
I'm gonna eat now

Which reminds me the name of medieval musical instrument containing no vowels: Crwth.

Which reminds me of my favourite ancient instrument – The Racket (Rackett or Ranket)

Which is described on h2g2 as:

“The racket is a type of bassoon in a pot. There is a double reed at one end of a very long wooden tube. The tube is folded over and over and squashed into a cylindrical box about 30 cm high and 15 cm in diameter. Finger holes down the two sides open into the appropriate places in the tube. This produces a very deep, squeaky tone. The racket has died out as an instrument due to a flaw in the design: there was no way for moisture to escape, so the insides rotted.”

But I prefer this description:
“the racket, which looked like a squat wooden firework and made a sound like blowing a raspberry” :yay:

Peatie.

Never buy used car from a man who's gums are showing when he smiles.

My god... someone else who's read "Gullible's Travels" by Billy Connolly?

This one come next to "a bird in the hand invariably shits on your wrist"

LOL

Hurrikane

The chances of your dying on the trip to buy your Lottery ticket is greater than your chance of winning.

Hohohooh....thats a good one...:laugh:

Wrong!!!!!!

Am a bit bored so thought about starting a silly thread.. so here it goes:

Share a totally useless fact that you know about with us so we got something to lough.. ;)

Here's the first one to kick this off :D

It is impossible to lick our own ellbows :silly2:

Your turn :wtg:

No it's not. Look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAB1kTEjUlU

And just in case that didn't open.

Elbow Licking
This is from Guinness World Records: "Elbow Licking. Contrary to popular urban legend, it is quite possible to lick your own elbow. Guinness World Records receives about five claims a day for this and stresses the following point: Being able to lick your own elbow is not, in any sense, a world record. If you're one of the rare few who can lick your elbow, save it for the water cooler."

It is possible to lick your own elbow. There is an urban legend that says that it is impossible to kiss your own elbow and if you do, it says will turn into the opposite sex. Of course this is not true.

:D

Have you ever wondered why men have nipples, especially when they serve no purpose?

Men have nipples because we ALL start out as Females and ofc nipples are essential for breast feeding. It's not until later in the development when the actual sex of the baby is determined as the whether we stay female. :wise:

Since we are on the topic of useless body parts.... I know many people that have had their tonsils and/or adnoids removed during childhood :scratch2:

the sex of the baby is determined at the beginning by the man ...the DNA of the baby is made of half DNA from the guy and half from the women.Women all ways have cromozon Y ( i think) so the men determinates the sex and its at the point of "creation" sry for the bad explaining .. :))

Last edited:
An ant may carry up to 80 times it's own weight. It can in fact hold 80000000000 times it's weight. However, people confuse this fact with the pink panther theme.

Facetious is the shortest word with all the vowels in the right order (AEIOU)

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

You're just pulling these off "interesting yet unverified facts" sites without checking their validity, aren't you? :silly2:

The shortest (english) word with vowels in order is caesious.

Polar bears are left handed and black if you shave them :wtg:

Last edited:
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

You're just pulling these off "interesting yet unverified facts" sites without checking their validity, aren't you? :silly2:

The shortest (english) word with vowels in order is caesious.

Nope, all mine come from memory, which excuses any inaccuaracies:)

Thanks for the update though:)

One I always thought was wrong was the one that says you are statistically more likely to get struck by lightning than win the lottery, which means around 5 people a week must get fried:) If no-one gets hit, is it a rollover that week?

Hurrikane

I wonder who shaved a polar bear to find out...

I more wonder what the polar bear was writing when they found out it was lefthanded :scratch2:

I more wonder what the polar bear was writing when they found out it was lefthanded :scratch2:

Propably HArry Potters. They are not written by a simian.

Back