The efficiency of scopes/lasers, Feb 2010

New Parameter on Attachments . A new parameter has been introduced on laser sights and scopes. This new parameter gives the user a skill increase bonus when the attachment is attached to the tool. The skill increase bonus of the attachment will affect the skill that the tool affect. The number does not indicate an actual increase rate percentage but a higher number is better than a lower.

I am confused. The attachments now give the user a Skill Increase Bonus. I assume this means you get more skills with the attachments on. The interesting thing is that they phrased it as a 'Skill Increase Bonus' or 'SIB'. Does this mean that SIB weapons do actually give more skills, despite all the tests failing to show as such?

I am confused. The attachments now give the user a Skill Increase Bonus. I assume this means you get more skills with the attachments on. The interesting thing is that they phrased it as a 'Skill Increase Bonus' or 'SIB'. Does this mean that SIB weapons do actually give more skills, despite all the tests failing to show as such?

Your sources are inaccurate.

e.g.

Yeah, I'm not overjoyed at the answer either. Since I shoot slow carbines, most of my shots are at close range. So I'd almost certainly have a better PED balance if I'd left them off all these years.

What I object to is the fact it was left unexplained for so many years. I'm all for MA leaving some stuff for us to figure out for ourselves, but has one single person in the last 7 years of EU been able to figure out this one for themselves?

Whether or not to use them or not now should be a fairly straightforward question of measuring the new extra skill gain they've been given, a fact that shows MA thinks no-one would ever use them again now that we've been told what they do.

Well, I'm not going to rant about it since MA have finally come clean, but it shouldn't have taken a mass-community action for that to happen. MA need to start showing more honesty and openness to the player-base to regain some trust. Let's hope this is a start.

Well done everyone btw, nice community effort.

I actually dont think they did work like this and MA had to think it up and implement it first.

Depends on what you mean. Sib gives a higher chance to get an actuall skillgain.

Oh indeed they were. Thanks. Never saw the conclusion of that test.

I should say that in the case of FAPs/healing tools, there's a definite SIB effect but it's not specific to during the Learning Period. I think it's probably a mistake in general to think SIB only refers to the Learning Period.

Ok, we know more how they work NOW...:eek:

But how they worked before this VU? Have they any use or only decay?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Only god and MA perhaps know the answer...

I actually dont think they did work like this and MA had to think it up and implement it first.

Yeah, that's possible, but they could just have implemented the skill-bonus bit.

Hard to know for sure, I doubt any prior tests rule out the reduction-with-range effect. Either way, let's face it, they did little for most of us - except the ones on our tag guns I guess.

Still easily testable just need someone willing to spend a large amount of money to do it.

Just need to use a gun that does enough damage to kill something small in one shot. Even if it sometimes didn't kill it in one shot it would still be enough that the majority of shots are at max range so you should see an increase in hit % after every attachment test if they do infact increase it at max range.

However it will cost a pretty penny in ammo and decay in order to get enough kills to say wether the data is accurate or not and i doubt anyone will essentially throw away that cash just for the test which is probably what MA is banking on.

I say give us a zone where we have access to all weapons, attachments and ammo free of charge but the mobs drop no loot, you gain no skill and you lose it all once you go out of zone so that we are able to test this as well as other things out.

EDIT: Only just logged in after a while away and i'm confused by the text on the scopes.

"This scope will improve the shooters aim. It also enlarges the target when zoomed in on it."

Okay so that is saying the scope improves your aim (figure by the skill mod%) and in addition to that improving your aim it also enlarges the target when zoomed in (ok so it also increases your chance to hit it by making it larger and easier for you to put the cross hair over)

But then the Siezzt scopes instead say

"The scope will enable the shooter to increase the chances of hitting a target, as it will be enlarged when the scope zooms in on it."

Okay so the scope will increase your chance of hitting a target because the target will be enlarged when you zoom in... but what about improving your aim....that is the only effect of the scope it mentions nothing about improving aim.

So are there now two types of scope where one improves your aim and in addition to improving you aim it also increases your chance to hit because it enlarges the target while the other scopes only have the enlargement benefit even though they still have a Skill Mod % figure....

Last edited:
Still easily testable just need someone willing to spend a large amount of money to do it.

Just need to use a gun that does enough damage to kill something small in one shot. Even if it sometimes didn't kill it in one shot it would still be enough that the majority of shots are at max range so you should see an increase in hit % after every attachment test if they do infact increase it at max range.

The answer is pretty much - no, no and no. You can test it at weapon max range fairly easily with any ranged weapon and it would not take a large amount of money. You just need to count the shots and the misses. Which again, is very easy with a dedicated tagger you only use for tagging, if you only shoot until first hit.

you wont get more skills but ou can max a sib to 10/10 and get a hitrate of 90%

You can test it at weapon max range fairly easily with any ranged weapon and it would not take a large amount of money.

While that would not take a large amount of money it would take alot more time and effort since you'd have to manually record the data for all the tag shots as well as spend the time extra time it takes to finish off the mob before going to the next. I don't tihnk many would spend the time and effort to do it that way :p

I'd still like to know what exactky us being modified since "The attachment gives a bonus to the user's hit ability" is just saying what we already knew that the item was supose to do but still give no information as to how exactly it gives a bonus to the hit ability.

Like so many it would also be nice to know if it still applies the bonus to your hit ability if it is a maxed out weapon with 10/10 HA as well.

If anything I think the response from MA only brought up more questions then answers so we're still at square 1.

so conlusion is theres no use of lasersights and scopes are only good for precising
the shots from far distance not using autoshot?

so conlusion is theres no use of lasersights and scopes are only good for precising
the shots from far distance not using autoshot?

The main 'use' for them is some extra skill gain it appears. Also I believe there's some minor effects when shooting at long range.

When it was proven that they lied about scopes / lasers gave a skill improvement so they renewed the whole system with a nerf, We all know it "not in range".

Nice work MA:cdevil:

Back