Grammar Nazi Alert!

Redfrog

Hunting nekkid since VU 9.0
Society
Pyrates of Calypso
Molly 'Red' MacGuire
Yes, that's me, with a little bit of information about one of my pet hates :D
A lot of native English speakers still get this one wrong.

The Apostrophe.

' or `, it has two functions:
  1. to indicate possession
  2. to show where one or more letters are missing

Possession:
e.g. - Star's ModFAP, MA's policies, Minken's Tango. It shows that the noun following the person or object named is owned by that person.

Missing Letter(s)
e.g. - can't (can not), should've (should have), I'd've (I would have - technically correct but rarely used), he's (he is/has).

The only time that these usages conflict is in the case of it's/its, since it could refer to either. It was therefore decided that "it's" means "it is/has" and "its" shows possession.

E.g.
"What is that black armour and what is that black outline of it on the ground?"
"It's Shadow and its shadow." ;)

Thank you for reading and please, feel free to educate me in return :)

2+2 still equals 4 in America...

I'm ( notice correct apostaphe use) not sure how it works in Sweden but if its the same someone at MA is terribly terribly confused and needs one of your lessons.

The one I really hate is when people say "Should of" or "Could of" etc....

It's "Should HAVE", shortened to "Should've" which sounds like "Should of" but ISN'T lol.....Should've paid attention in school;)

"Should/Could/Would of" is wrong. It's "'ve."

That's my rant over.

Hurrikane

grammarnazi.jpg

You must love txt msgs Redfrog. ;)

I personally hate the word "whom" so I never use it. "who" is good enough for me.

My turn for a lesson

This time economics.
You never invest in harvesting a resource more then it's(hope I used the apostrophe corectly) worth.
I'm(and again a little apostrophe) pretty much shure MA has got this wrong too.

Sorry for any speling or grammar mistakes, english is not my native language.

Yes, that's me, with a little bit of information about one of my pet hates :D

The Apostrophe.

Possession:
e.g. - Star's ModFAP, MA's policies, Minken's Tango. It shows that the noun following the person or object named is owned by that person.

Missing Letter(s)
e.g. - can't (can not), should've (should have), I'd've (I would have - technically correct but rarely used), he's (he is/has).

The only time that these usages conflict is in the case of it's/its, since it could refer to either. It was therefore decided that "it's" means "it is/has" and "its" shows possession.

E.g.
"It's Shadow and its shadow." ;)

Thank you for reading and please, feel free to educate me in return :)

Too bad your grammar skills don't extend to reading. If they did, you would have been able to determine this should have been posted in the 'off topic' forum. :rolleyes:

Sing it :D
A little vocabulary irreverance or lack of relevance ;)
[YOUTUBE]H1iR2Wi3u5o[/YOUTUBE]

Well it is a international game with more then one language. So non-native speakers could make some grammar fault here and there. I do thats for sure.

Not really worth getting mad about it. It is all about understanding each other that is the main thing here.

P.S. in mine post you probaly see this a lot . itś <--- For some unknown reason Ubuntu does not correctly uses my keyboard. I didnt have time to fix it yet

Can't stand native speakers ranting 'bout non-native speakers.

E.g.
"It's Shadow and its shadow."

uhhh

It's Shadow and it's shadow

is correct

And an outline isn't a silhouette

Oh and shadows aren't necessarily black, they are dark (racist!)

/bored

Pet hate "there" "their" and "they're"

There-i.e. over there
Their-i.e. their faps
They're-i.e. they're over there with their faps :)

Can't stand native speakers ranting 'bout non-native speakers.

to be fair, he does say native speakers get it wrong. we are quite lazy with our langauge, because it allows us to be, but non-native speakers tend to learn it properly.

im not sure we do get it wrong that much. the main problem area is around "s" at the end of words, with plurals and possession getting all muddled up. im not even going to attempt an example :D

im also not going to correct the many errors concerning apostrophes and capitals. i dont speak them so tend not to write them in such inform surrounds as an internet forum :cool:

uhhh

It's Shadow and it's shadow

is correct

but i am going to question this. "It is Shadow and it is shadow" does not make sence. you could say "It is Shadow and it is a shadow" though.

but i am going to question this. "It is Shadow and it is shadow" does not make sence. you could say "It is Shadow and it is a shadow" though.

It's shadow= it is shadow.

its shadow=the shadow thrown by said armour.

Shadow's shadow?

Funny how if you write something enough times it looks silly...shadow shadow shadow....

Hurrikane

Another common grammar mistake:

Your (possessive form of you): "Please put your key in the ignition."
You're (contraction of you are): "You're not talking shit to me, are you?"

The Apostrophe.

Meh.

' is a correct typographical use of an Apostrophe (as is ’)

` however would be an Accent (or some other diacritic mark), not an Apostrophe

:scratch2:

Meh.

Correct observation :)

It's shadow= it is shadow.

its shadow=the shadow thrown by said armour.

yes. thats the point. Immortal added an apostophe in the second which changes from possessive.

"Shadow's shadow" seems fine, if refering to a person called "Shadow", other wise "a" or "the" should be used to define the article. (did i really just wrote than shite on English??? :confused: :D)

Meh.

never understood why some insist on using `some text' when "some text" is not only correct but less hassle. not sure what the ` is for on its own. also | seems to be odd inclusion on keyboards, only ever use in programming. prize for the most redundant character is ¬ think thats the first time i have ever used it :laugh:

In soviet Russia the apostrophe possesses you !

to be fair, he does say native speakers get it wrong. we are quite lazy with our langauge, because it allows us to be, but non-native speakers tend to learn it properly.

I wasn't refering to the OP though. There was another post that got me a little bit upset.

Thanks for that grammar lesson, you should post one a day. I'd read 'em :D

Missing Letter(s)
e.g. - can't (can not)

Strictly speaking can't is the abbreviated cannot as 'can not' has a different meaning. ;)

I promesie never mix up apostrophe of possession's
and the shadows shodow ...
humm wait.

Guess as non native many thinks just too complicated :D

Too bad your grammar skills don't extend to reading. If they did, you would have been able to determine this should have been posted in the 'off topic' forum. :rolleyes:

...Or the About EntropiaForum section could technically be another good location, assuming this thread is basically about people writing correctly on the forum.

However, since it is an "all arounder" (just made that term up, so yes. Poor grammar) I've moved it to off topic.

English, due to it's "borg-like" history of assimilation, contains many tricks, traps and stumbling blocks that can lead to many technical mistakes. However I've observed that in other languages, folks can get just as picky if someone makes mistakes there as well.

Hi.

Since I am in game i read in local chat people always using "anyone" when I am almost sure I am using well "someone".

Perhaps I am doing mistake but cannot change now.

Greetings. Milesio.

I hate people typing looser instead of loser ;)

2+2 still equals 4 in America...

I'm ( notice correct apostaphe use) not sure how it works in Sweden but if its the same someone at MA is terribly terribly confused and needs one of your lessons.
Wrong!!!...2+2=Vagina

Back