FYI: Google Powered EF Search Tool

Site Admin
Admin
Two new search tools are now available in the Search menu in the navigation bar:

Google Powered EF Search
This exciting new search tool utilizes Google's Custom Search Engine (CSE) technology to allow members to use the full power of Google to search the vast wealth of information on EntropiaForum. This method of searching allows for more powerful search parameters, just like those used on Google.

Examples:
  • "hogglo loot" :: searches only for posts with the exact phrase inside the quotes
  • hogglo OR loot :: searches for posts with either of the terms
  • hogglo -loot :: searches for posts that contain the first term but not the second term
  • hogglo loot :: searches for one or both of the terms anywhere in a post
  • hogglo +loot :: searches only for posts that contain both the first term and the second term, anywhere in the post
  • hogglo * loot :: searches for the first term separated by one or more words from the second term

EF Blogs Search
This search tool is fairly straightforward, allowing members to search exclusively within the new EntropiaForum - Blogs. This is a fast and easy way to find a desired blog entry or topic. This search function operates just like the traditional forum search tool (does not support the advanced parameters of the Google Powered EF Search detailed above).

Enjoy! :cool:

Really cool 711 :)

Very nice! I use search a lot and this is a very welcome addition.

As it seems many members did not notice this thread when first posted, a BUMP is in order.

The Google powered EF search tool is a very powerful way to search EntropiaForum's 2.5 million+ pages of content. With the new SEO software in use on EF, and the dramatic increase in search-engine bot indexing resulting from that software, Google has a very good index of nearly all of the content on EntropiaForum, allowing for pinpoint searches using the Google powered EF search tool.

One more bump for this useful search tool (the use of which might help to minimize the number of duplicate threads, among other things :wise:).

Bump up this thread for members who may not yet have discovered these useful search tools.

Excellent! I have wanted the ability to do searches in a google-esque manner for some time now. :yay:

Great work 711 !!

very handy feature!

is it possible we can get the google search feature on the main page rather than just in the forums, the google search is far more useful and i think many people don't use it because they go onto the main page and just hit search.

is it possible we can get the google search feature on the main page rather than just in the forums, the google search is far more useful and i think many people don't use it because they go onto the main page and just hit search.

The Google search tool is available on every page of EntropiaForum in the search menu of the navigation bar. It's the second search box in the drop-down list:

search.JPG

this is what i see on the search drop down menu on the main entropiaforum.com page. No google search option, IE and Firefox.

Perhaps this is specific to my account? Is it possible I can get google search option in this section?

Perhaps this is specific to my account? Is it possible I can get google search option in this section?

It seems it is not availible in the Index section, try anywhere else ;)

this is what i see on the search drop down menu on the main entropiaforum.com page. No google search option, IE and Firefox.

That's only on the main EF homepage (which is technically not actually part of the forum itself, but rather a third-party add-on CMS page that incorporates various forum data).

Try clicking the navbar search menu from any other EF page, such as the main forum index:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/

and you will find the Google powered EF search tool.

yup i know its in the index... my original question was can we get the google search feature on the main page (www.entropiaforum.com). I may be wrong but I think that when people go to use the search function they go direct from the main page and therefore miss out on the whole google search function as they dont make it to the forum index before they search (unless they are already there). I just supose it would be better functionality if we could have it on the main page as well as the other sections.

I will work on getting it included on the main index page as well, not sure why it isn't working there, but since both the CMS page and the Google search are third-party add-ons to the forum software, sometimes it is a bit tricky to get everything working properly together.

Fixed.

The Google powered EF search and blog search form boxes now appear in the homepage search drop-down menu.

Fixed.

The Google powered EF search and blog search form boxes now appear in the homepage search drop-down menu.

Awesome :D tyvm:yay:

Bump, as I find myself expaining the advanced search options available to members via PM quite often, and who were unaware of the very powerful Google-powered EF search tool.

I'll sticky this thread for a while, since many members seem to ignore the Google Powered search box available in the search menu on EF.

It gives cash :).

Ahh great, but only if you believe google technology is to be trusted!

I will work on getting it included on the main index page as well, not sure why it isn't working there, but since both the CMS page and the Google search are third-party add-ons to the forum software, sometimes it is a bit tricky to get everything working properly together.

Fixed.

I hour to implement, not a bad effort for such a "difficult" task. :) Much appreciated. :wtg:

Last edited:
anyone mind post a screenshot where this search options is? I'm trying to use main one and either I can not use it either it works some strange ways (doesn't find me any posts)

anyone mind post a screenshot where this search options is? I'm trying to use main one and either I can not use it either it works some strange ways (doesn't find me any posts)

I don't see the link to the google search anymore, but under the advanced search there are more choices and that seems to return decent results for me. The link for the advanced search is righ under the main search field.

You can go to Google and search from there:

Code:
howdy site:planetcalypsoforum.com
This will look for "howdy" in the forum.

Yes, it's not that convenient, but it does the same thing.

I don't see the link to the google search anymore, but under the advanced search there are more choices and that seems to return decent results for me. The link for the advanced search is righ under the main search field.

could you try to search for "ma-109" I got 0 results no matter what I do.

Back